PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a wallet

Jack Squat
2012-02-15, 09:47 PM
After right around a decade of use, my wallet is finally falling apart at the seams. I'm looking for a replacement, and I can't seem to find a suitable replacement, so I've turned to the playground for help.

I'm looking for a nice basic brown leather billfold, preferably one with a removable ID pouch, although that's not strictly necessary. What I'm having trouble with is that I can't seem to find one that is devoid of any real patterns, bright colored linings, or zippers.

Gnoman
2012-02-15, 09:57 PM
Try a county fair or other event that has a flea market. You can generally find plain leather wallets fairly cheap at that sort of event.

Grinner
2012-02-15, 09:59 PM
I've got a friend that made a kickass wallet out of duct tape, but that's probably not your style.

Well, turning to Amazon.com:
Looks nice. (http://www.amazon.com/Dockers-Capacity-Slimfold-Leather-Wallet/dp/B003V4AKLG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329361060&sr=8-1)
Pretty cheap. (http://www.amazon.com/Black-Leather-Wallet-Lambskin-Trifold/dp/B0016157EQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1329361060&sr=8-3)

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-15, 10:13 PM
Have you checked your pockets?

Wait, wrong type of "find". :smalltongue:

Leather's probably good.

arguskos
2012-02-15, 11:18 PM
I suggest Tumi. They're a bit pricey, but worth every single cent. I have two different wallets from them, and by far prefer this (http://www.tumi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11632641&prodFindSrc=paramNav) one. Highly recommended. I believe you can get them in brown if you wish, though don't quote me (I love the black myself).

Oh, and if you're concerned about durability, I've had my money clip for about 6 years now. It's still in nearly perfect condition and believe you me, I don't baby my possessions. If it can survive me, it can probably survive you (unless you regularly light you stuff on fire or something equally extreme). :smallwink:

Arminius
2012-02-16, 12:17 AM
Have you tried Sears? That is where I got mine, though that was a few years ago now. Nothing fancy, just basic wallet.

Jack Squat
2012-02-16, 12:26 AM
I've got a friend that made a kickass wallet out of duct tape, but that's probably not your style.

Well, turning to Amazon.com:
Looks nice. (http://www.amazon.com/Dockers-Capacity-Slimfold-Leather-Wallet/dp/B003V4AKLG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329361060&sr=8-1)
Pretty cheap. (http://www.amazon.com/Black-Leather-Wallet-Lambskin-Trifold/dp/B0016157EQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1329361060&sr=8-3)

Actually, I rocked a duct tape wallet for awhile alongside this one. However, I'm working at an accounting firm, so I really should stick to something a little more professional.

First wallet is kinda what I'm looking for, but the leather's patterned. Second one's a trifold, which I just never liked. Thanks for the suggestions though.

I suggest Tumi. They're a bit pricey, but worth every single cent. I have two different wallets from them, and by far prefer this (http://www.tumi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11632641&prodFindSrc=paramNav) one. Highly recommended. I believe you can get them in brown if you wish, though don't quote me (I love the black myself).

Pricy is a little bit of an understatement, considering my current one was $15 "back in the day." I did look around a bit and found one or two I really liked though.

Oh, and if you're concerned about durability, I've had my money clip for about 6 years now. It's still in nearly perfect condition and believe you me, I don't baby my possessions. If it can survive me, it can probably survive you (unless you regularly light you stuff on fire or something equally extreme). :smallwink:

I think you and I probably have a similar reputation for wearing out gear. I don't use my wallet to beat out forest fires or take down SPECTRE, but I do everything from backpacking and rock-climbing to boating/scuba - so I certainly wouldn't mind something that can stand up to the elements and still run like a champ. If these will do that for several years, then I'm definitely going to be looking into them.

EDIT: @^ I have - and JC Penny and Kohls. At least around here all the brown ones tend to be patterned/textured or are trifolds, which I guess is the new "in" style. Plenty of plain black ones, but I've always preferred brown ones for no particular reason.

Tyndmyr
2012-02-16, 12:23 PM
After right around a decade of use, my wallet is finally falling apart at the seams. I'm looking for a replacement, and I can't seem to find a suitable replacement, so I've turned to the playground for help.

I'm looking for a nice basic brown leather billfold, preferably one with a removable ID pouch, although that's not strictly necessary. What I'm having trouble with is that I can't seem to find one that is devoid of any real patterns, bright colored linings, or zippers.

I use a coach brown leather money clip. They are not terribly cheap, but considering how long they last...meh. No patterns whatsoever, just a slim brown leather thing what holds a reasonable number of cards. Does the job.

As for durability...I've destroyed titanium rings and such. I've got some crazier hobbies. Wear and tear on things I use is pretty notable.

Traab
2012-02-16, 12:36 PM
Have you tried Sears? That is where I got mine, though that was a few years ago now. Nothing fancy, just basic wallet.

Same for me. Basic black, the closest thing to "decoration" on it is a tiny little brass button with the company logo on it. And that fell off years ago. :p

noparlpf
2012-02-16, 12:55 PM
Make one!
Or go check out some places selling older-style things, like fairs and flea markets.

arguskos
2012-02-16, 03:38 PM
Pricy is a little bit of an understatement, considering my current one was $15 "back in the day." I did look around a bit and found one or two I really liked though.
Yeah, it's pretty rough, but soooooo worth it.

I think you and I probably have a similar reputation for wearing out gear. I don't use my wallet to beat out forest fires or take down SPECTRE, but I do everything from backpacking and rock-climbing to boating/scuba - so I certainly wouldn't mind something that can stand up to the elements and still run like a champ. If these will do that for several years, then I'm definitely going to be looking into them.
Man, who HASN'T used their wallet to smack down SPECTRE? :smalltongue:

As for standing up to the elements, I highly recommend NOT taking it scuba diving (I mean, your money'll be wet, and who wants wet money?). Otherwise, should be fine.

Don Julio Anejo
2012-02-16, 05:02 PM
Of all the places to look, I got mine at Sears. And even now, they're one of the few (non-high-fashion) places that carry the kind of thing you're looking for.

Jack Squat
2012-02-17, 07:06 PM
I use a coach brown leather money clip. They are not terribly cheap, but considering how long they last...meh. No patterns whatsoever, just a slim brown leather thing what holds a reasonable number of cards. Does the job.

As for durability...I've destroyed titanium rings and such. I've got some crazier hobbies. Wear and tear on things I use is pretty notable.

I looked at them, and while they're nice, I think I like the Tumi designs better. They're both around the same price range though, so it looks like if I might be stuck with paying for quality this time around :P

As for standing up to the elements, I highly recommend NOT taking it scuba diving (I mean, your money'll be wet, and who wants wet money?). Otherwise, should be fine.

When diving, it's on the boat, but it still gets exposed to salt air and the occasional splash, neither of which are nice on leather. I'm not strange enough that I keep my wallet on me when in the water (though once I get a drysuit...)

PallElendro
2012-02-18, 05:39 PM
I have a SwissGear tri-fold wallet with 6 card pockets, and two bill storages, so when I get robbed, the mugger gets $10 instead of $100.

Also, I have this unique card fold that can hold 10-ish IDs or other cards.

arguskos
2012-02-18, 06:28 PM
When diving, it's on the boat, but it still gets exposed to salt air and the occasional splash, neither of which are nice on leather. I'm not strange enough that I keep my wallet on me when in the water (though once I get a drysuit...)
Yeah, should be able to withstand that (within reason, anyways).

leafman
2012-02-18, 11:08 PM
I have a spare wallet thats brown, not really a tri-fold (the id goes in its own flap), it says it is "genuine leather", and has two zippered pockets inside (one for change, the other I have no idea but it runs the length of the wallet), you want it? I've never used it and I've got quite a few years left of life in my current wallet.

Indurain
2012-02-21, 04:46 PM
I've been using a Mighty Wallet (http://www.dynomighty.com/products.php?s=mighty%20wallets) for the last year, and it's been a great wallet for me. It's beat up now, and it probably won't be a 6 year wallet. But they look awesome, and are environmentally aware.