PDA

View Full Version : Alternate TWF concept/fix (3.5e)

RedWarlock
2012-02-16, 01:35 AM
I've been thinking about TWF as a concept, various opinions on its efficiency or deficiencies, and the damage problems it has. (I've also seen a lot of these TWF fixes floating around, and while I don't tend to jump on bandwagons, they all seem a bit off from what I think TWF should be.)

This isn't really a full-level fix (I still don't have an idea for Improved/Greater TWF) but it's the start of one. It also operates independently of any other concepts I'm working on, though I'm keeping them in mind.

Base Rules (no feat):

When fighting with two weapons, you can choose to take a -4 to the attack roll with your main hand (-6 if the off-hand weapon isn't light) in order to add your off-hand weapon to the damage with your main hand as bonus damage dice, and deal damage as if using a two-handed weapon (normally 1 1/2 times Strength). Attacks are made with the main-hand weapons' attack roll, dealing damage with both weapons' damage types. Critical hits are scored with the main hand as usual, and the full damage bonus from Strength is multiplied according to the main-hand weapon's critical multiplier. Special properties only apply from the main-hand weapon. (if the off-hand weapon is better for some reason, like a special material or better crit range, you can swap hands on the weapons, leading with the off-hand weapon but probably taking the -6 for the 'off-hand' weapon being non-light)

You can also choose to use only one weapon at a time, taking no penalties but gaining no bonus damage or increased handedness from the other weapon. You can still make single attacks with either weapon at no penalty, including during a full-attack action.

Two-Weapon Fighting [General]
Prerequisite
Dex 15.

Benefit
Whenever you would be able to make a single attack, you can take a -2 penalty to your attack (-4 if the off-hand weapon isn't light) in order to make two attack rolls, one for each weapon; a primary attack with your main-hand weapon, and a second attack roll using your off-hand weapon. Both attacks add all the same situational penalties and bonuses to each attack roll. This also applies to full-attack sequences, allowing you to make a separate attack roll, one for each weapon, for each of your iterative attacks available, taking the penalty to all attacks in the sequence.

Alternately, you can still make a combined strike using both weapons, removing the -4 penalty to the attack roll for the single attack. If the off-hand weapon isn't light, this is only reduced to a -2 penalty.

Two-Weapon Defense [General]
Prerequisites
Dex 15, Two-Weapon Fighting.

Benefit
When wielding a double weapon or any sort of off-hand weapon, you gain a shield bonus to your AC equal to 1 + the off-hand weapon's enhancement bonus. (As a matching modification to this, a Defending weapon's enhancement bonus would be doubled when shifted into the Defending AC bonus as an off-hand weapon.)

So, thoughts?

TuggyNE
2012-02-16, 02:29 AM
Hmm, I'm honestly not sure why it's Dex 15 instead of say Dex 13, except for legacy reasons... I would suggest you seriously consider changing that.

TWD seems fairly decent now -- in the realm of "I can consider taking that", but not "GIMME GIMME GIMME", which is fine.

Others can hopefully give a more detailed analysis. :smallsmile:

RedWarlock
2012-02-16, 05:46 PM
Hmm, I'm honestly not sure why it's Dex 15 instead of say Dex 13, except for legacy reasons... I would suggest you seriously consider changing that.

TWD seems fairly decent now -- in the realm of "I can consider taking that", but not "GIMME GIMME GIMME", which is fine.

Others can hopefully give a more detailed analysis. :smallsmile:

I could certainly see changing it, I was just thinking of the mechanics. It's the combined strike feature I'm most interested in getting people's opinions on.