PDA

View Full Version : Polymorph Subschool

Tvtyrant
2012-02-16, 02:42 AM
The polymorph subschool from complete mage/PHB II/spell compendium is inferior to alter self/polymorph/shapechange, but perhaps more fairly balanced (no Hydra madness). My question is how the spells rank in contrast with the spells of a Beguiler or the maneuvers of a Warblade. In essence, could you make a Tier 3 class using them?

Godskook
2012-02-16, 02:59 AM
What, exactly, is a difference between a spellcaster using those spells and a wildshape ranger?

Keld Denar
2012-02-16, 02:59 AM
The Polymorph subschool still gives you a touch of shapechanger feel without having your DM ban you from ever opening another MM book ever again.

Example: I used to play in Living Greyhawk, and Polymorph and Draconic Polymorph were both banned. I still wanted to take advantage of Minor Shapeshift, however, so I used Trollshape for it instead of Polymorph, because it was much less rediculous.

Tvtyrant
2012-02-16, 03:03 AM
What, exactly, is a difference between a spellcaster using those spells and a wildshape ranger?

A wildshape ranger can only use medium sized animal forms, whose usefulness in combat is extremely limited. The polymorph subschool has more varied forms (like a Huge Dragon with its breath weapon, or a Beholder form which is admittedly underpowered), and gets them earlier (form of wolf is a 1st level spell). There are enough that you get a different form each level, but only 1 or 2 rather than dozens.

Manateee
2012-02-16, 01:01 PM
Tier 3 is where the Metamorphizing Psychic Warrior is, right?
So yes, you should be able to make that work. But you'd probably need to flesh out the forms list, because there are only 20-25 spells I can think of that fit the criteria - and I don't think they all even work consistently.

Chronos
2012-02-16, 01:11 PM
And you have to learn and prepare them separately. With Polymorph, you can take it as a spell known, or prepare it at the start of the day, and wait until you need it to decide what you're going to turn into, depending on what's best for solving the problem at hand. With the polymorph subschool spells, you have to decide in advance what form you're going to turn into.