PDA

View Full Version : The Swift Ambusher (3.5 Base Class, PEACH)

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-16, 12:33 PM
The Swift Ambusher

Alignment: Any

HD: d8
Class Skills: All skills are class skills for the swift ambusher.
Skill Points: 10+Int per level

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Fast Movement

1st|+0|+0|+2|+2|Trapfinding, Sneak Attack +1d6, Skirmish +1d6|-

2nd|+1|+0|+3|+3|Bonus Feat|-

3rd|+2|+1|+3|+3|Sneak Attack +2d6, Skirmish +1d6/+1 AC, Bonus Skill Trick|-

4th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Fierce Ambush (Shaken)|+10'

5th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Sneak Attack +3d6, Skirmish +2d6/+1 AC|+10'

6th|+4|+2|+5|+5|Bonus Feat, Evasion, Bonus Skill Trick|+10'

7th|+5|+2|+5|+5|Sneak Attack +4d6, Skirmish +2d6/+2 AC|+10'

8th|+6/+1|+2|+6|+6|Fierce Ambush (Sickened)|+20'

9th|+6/+1|+3|+6|+6|Sneak Attack +5d6, Skirmish +3d6/+2 AC, Bonus Skill Trick|+20'

10th|+7/+2|+3|+7|+7|Bonus Feat|+20'

11th|+8/+3|+3|+7|+7|Sneak Attack +6d6, Skirmish +3d6/+3 AC|+20'

12th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+8|Fierce Ambush (Stunned), Bonus Skill Trick|+30'

13th|+9/+4|+4|+8|+8|Sneak Attack +7d6, Skirmish +4d6/+3 AC|+30'

14th|+10/+5|+4|+9|+9|Bonus Feat|+30'

15th|+11/+6/+1|+5|+9|+9|Sneak Attack +8d6, Skirmish +4d6/+4 AC, Bonus Skill Trick|+30'

16th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10|Fierce Ambush (Panicked)|+40'

17th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10|Sneak Attack +9d6, Skirmish +5d6/+4 AC|+40'

18th|+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+11|Bonus Feat, Bonus Skill Trick|+40'

19th|+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+11|Sneak Attack +10d6, Skirmish +5d6/+5 AC|+40'

20th|+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+12|Fierce Ambush (Death)|+50'

[/table]

Class Features: All of the following are the swift ambusher's class features.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Swift ambushers are proficient with all simple weapons, as well as the shortbow, longbow, kukri, and rapier. The swift ambusher is proficient with light armor and light shields.

Trapfinding (Ex): Swift ambushers are able to find traps with a Search DC above 20, and are able to use the Disable Device skill to disable magical traps. If a swift ambusher exceeds the DC of the Disable Device check by 10 or more, she may disable the trap long enough for her party to pass over it unharmed, then rearm it.

Sneak Attack (Ex): If a swift ambusher can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage.

The swift ambusher’s attack deals extra damage any time her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the swift ambusher flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and it increases by 1d6 every two class levels thereafter. Should the swift ambusher score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.

Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.

With a sap (blackjack) or an unarmed strike, a swift ambusher can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. She cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual -4 penalty.

A swift ambusher can sneak attack only living creatures with discernible anatomies—undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks. The swift ambusher must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A swift ambusher cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

Design Notes:
Yes, I chose not to fix Sneak Attack with this class. This is primarily due to my concern about the calculated CR of creatures who are immune to critical hits. These monsters are meant to screw precision strikers, hard. I personally have no problem with that, mostly because rogues are able to shine pretty well in all other types of combat, and giving them a gimp is helpful to the fighters and barbarians who otherwise have problems dealing their damage unless they're ubercharging. For those of you who love rogues and want them to be awesome, well, you can always find a rogue fix. My duelist, in my signature, has a fixed version of Sneak Attack, as does my darkstalker.

Skirmish (Ex): A swift ambusher relies on mobility to deal extra damage and improve her defense. She deals an extra 1d6 points of damage on all attacks she makes during any round in which she moves at least 10 feet. The extra damage applies only to attacks taken during the scout’s turn. This extra damage increases by 1d6 for every four levels gained above 1st (2d6 at 5th, 3d6 at 9th, 4d6 at 13th, and 5d6 at 17th level).

Swift ambushers can apply this extra damage to ranged attacks made while skirmishing, but only if the target is within 30 feet.

At 3rd level, a swift ambusher gains a +1 competence bonus to Armor Class during any round in which she moves at least 10 feet. The bonus applies as soon as the swift ambusher has moved 10 feet, and lasts until the start of her next turn. This bonus improves by 1 for every four levels gained above 3rd (+2 at 7th, +3 at 11th, +4 at 15th, and +5 at 19thlevel).

A swift ambusher loses this ability when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.

If she gains the skirmish ability from another class, the bonuses stack.

A swift ambusher may treat her skirmish damage dice as if they were sneak attack dice for the purposes of qualifying for and activating Ambush feats.

Design Notes:
And the skirmish ability, which is obviously momentum-based and not precision-based, applies to all creatures. So the swift hunter isn't completely gimped against creatures immune to precision damage, but she still has her damage severely reduced against them.

Bonus Feat (Ex): A swift ambusher is a multi-talented master of many arts. At 2nd level, and every 4 levels after that, the swift ambusher may select any feat she qualifies for and gain it as a bonus feat.

Bonus Skill Trick (Ex): At 3rd level, and every 3 levels after that, a swift ambusher receives a bonus skill trick (Complete Scoundrel). She must meet all the prerequisites for that skill trick, but she need not spend any skill points to obtain it. If a swift ambusher does not meet the prerequisites for any skill trick, she may hold her bonus skill trick until she meets the prerequisites for a skill trick, at which point she may choose from the skill tricks she qualifies for.

Fierce Ambush (Ex): A swift ambusher is able to surprise and destroy her foes in a single strike. Starting at 4th level, whenever the swift ambusher successfully deals bonus damage from both her Sneak Attack and Skirmish class features to the same creature, it must make a Will save (DC 10+1/2 the swift ambusher's class level+her Dexterity modifier) or be shaken for 1 minute. This benefit only applies to the first successful simultaneous Sneak Attack and Skirmish the swift ambusher makes on the creature each round.

Starting at 8th level, the first time a swift ambusher simultaneously delivers bonus damage from her Sneak Attack and Skirmish class features to a creature in a round, that creature must also make a Fortitude save (DC 10+1/2 the swift ambusher's class level+her Dexterity modifier) or be sickened for 1 minute.

Starting at 12th level, the first time a swift ambusher simultaneously delivers bonus damage from her Sneak Attack and Skirmish class features to a creature in a round, that creature must also make a Fortitude save (DC 10+1/2 the swift ambusher's class level+her Dexterity modifier) or be stunned for 1 round.

Starting at 16th level, any time a creature would be shaken by the swift ambusher's Fierce Ambush ability, she may choose to render them panicked for 1 minute instead.

Starting at 20th level, the first time a swift ambusher simultaneously delivers bonus damage from her Sneak Attack and Skirmish class features to a creature in a round, that creature must also make a Fortitude save (DC 10+1/2 the swift ambusher's class level+her Dexterity modifier) or die.

Fast Movement (Ex): A swift ambusher lives up to her name. At 4th level, she receives a +10' bonus to her land speed. This increases by another +10' at 8th level, and every 4 class levels after that, to a maximum of +50' at 20th level.

Evasion (Ex): A swift ambusher is able to avoid even magical attacks with ease. Starting at 6th level, whenever the swift ambusher succeeds her Reflex save against an effect that deals half damage or a partial effect on a successful saving throw, she instead takes no damage. A swift ambusher in medium or heavy armor or carrying a medium or heavy load does not gain the benefits of evasion. A helpless or unconscious swift ambusher does not gain the benefits of evasion.

Just to Browse
2012-02-17, 02:40 AM
It appears that, starting at level 8, the ambusher can walk around with a pet or a friend, and sneak attack for big damage as well as inflicting a SoD with every hit.

A bit ridiculous, if I do say so. I also like the combination of skirmish and sneak attack, though the combination of the two leads to some incredibly high damage.

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-17, 10:16 AM
It appears that, starting at level 8, the ambusher can walk around with a pet or a friend, and sneak attack for big damage as well as inflicting a SoD with every hit.

Well, in order to use Fierce Ambush, you need to both move 10 feet and flank or attack your enemy while flat-footed. So, unless you're optimizing your mobility with WBL, you'll only be able to do it on a single attack. And it's already stated in the text that the SoS applies only to the first such attack each round. Also, since when has sickness been a Save-or-Die? It's a -2 penalty to a bunch of rolls. I think you might be confusing it with nausea.

A bit ridiculous, if I do say so. I also like the combination of skirmish and sneak attack, though the combination of the two leads to some incredibly high damage.

Again, Skirmish requires mobility, and Sneak Attack requires flanking, so the two don't mesh that well together. Skirmish is generally much more useful with archery (which is incredibly difficult to Sneak Attack with) and Sneak Attacking is better with flanking (which means you only get one attack since you can't move 10 feet per round and full-attack without some WBL optimization).

But thank you very much for the compliment.

The class itself, by the way, is named after the feat Swift Ambusher, which is in Complete Scoundrel, and already allows a rogue to stack with scout and get Sneak Attack and Skirmish progression. So this "incredibly high damage" you are worried about is already standard 3.5 material. I'm just making it into a single class and giving it some flavorful abilities (because rogues suck).

boomwolf
2012-02-17, 12:34 PM
Dude, double full precision damage progression? seriously? this guy massacres everything but a full caster with ease.

You missed browse's point completely, this is over-powered, by alot, you hardly need any effort to make this silly broken and with all the extra feats you can make a spring attack build easier then cupcakes...

Fruchtkracher
2012-02-17, 01:18 PM
Dude, double full precision damage progression? seriously? this guy massacres everything but a full caster with ease.

You missed browse's point completely, this is over-powered, by alot, you hardly need any effort to make this silly broken and with all the extra feats you can make a spring attack build easier then cupcakes...

Which, as NeoSeraphi already pointed out, Rouges and Scouts can easily get, in addition to other ablities.

Though honestly, this class can hardly do anything besides damage, and even this mainly at melee- or short-range.

Rather bland :/

mrcarter11
2012-02-17, 02:09 PM
It can lay down some decent damage, true. But anything that makes a rogue cry makes this cry just as badly. And it isn't exactly easy to be flanking and move 10 feet all in a single round, so I doubt the damage will go through the roof. And as it was already pointed out, combat really is all this thing has. Tier 4 at best, sorta like a mild charger build. While it does have the basics of a skillmonkey it leaves a good bit to be desired as one.

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-17, 02:56 PM
Though honestly, this class can hardly do anything besides damage, and even this mainly at melee- or short-range.

Rather bland :/

It can lay down some decent damage, true. But anything that makes a rogue cry makes this cry just as badly. And it isn't exactly easy to be flanking and move 10 feet all in a single round, so I doubt the damage will go through the roof. And as it was already pointed out, combat really is all this thing has. Tier 4 at best, sorta like a mild charger build. While it does have the basics of a skillmonkey it leaves a good bit to be desired as one.

Okay, so what do you guys suggest to make the class more useful?

mrcarter11
2012-02-17, 03:04 PM
Well, it currently get a good amount of skill points per level, but no skill list, so that assumes everything is a cross skill. I doubt Improved Evasion would hurt. Adding some fluff abilities would be nice as well. Woodland Stride, Trackless Step and the like. Past that, what about Speak with Animals once a day per class level. Could easily help set up some ambushes. Then maybe adding a simple trap making mechanic. Or even something that would only trigger if the Ambusher went first in an encounter. Though going first, would mean your enemy is flat footed, and so if you move and then manyshot, your already talking damage in spades.

Tvtyrant
2012-02-17, 03:16 PM
The easiest way to use this class as it currently is would be to dip for pounce, and then get a swift action summon off of a wand. You summon a monster behind an enemy and then charge them for good but not overwhelming damage. It can get TWF so it can boost its damage to the binary range, but not so deep that it is TO or anything.

Fierce Ambush is a fun feature, and is somewhat balanced by being a 1/encounter ability.

My basic suggestion would be to keep it the same but switch its bonus feats for some sort of limited casting that grants it the better combat spells like Blade Weave, Hunter's Eye, etc.

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-17, 03:34 PM
Well, it currently get a good amount of skill points per level, but no skill list, so that assumes everything is a cross skill. I doubt Improved Evasion would hurt. Adding some fluff abilities would be nice as well. Woodland Stride, Trackless Step and the like. Past that, what about Speak with Animals once a day per class level. Could easily help set up some ambushes. Then maybe adding a simple trap making mechanic. Or even something that would only trigger if the Ambusher went first in an encounter. Though going first, would mean your enemy is flat footed, and so if you move and then manyshot, your already talking damage in spades.

It has a skill list. I said "All skills are class skills for the swift ambusher".

Woodland Stride and Trackless Step are nature-themed class features, and this class doesn't have that theme. Same with Speak With Animals. The character is not a natural character like a druid or a ranger.

A trap-making mechanic? Maybe...

The easiest way to use this class as it currently is would be to dip for pounce, and then get a swift action summon off of a wand. You summon a monster behind an enemy and then charge them for good but not overwhelming damage. It can get TWF so it can boost its damage to the binary range, but not so deep that it is TO or anything.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Good, but not OP.

Fierce Ambush is a fun feature, and is somewhat balanced by being a 1/encounter ability.

It's not 1/encounter, it's 1/round. You can't use it on a full-attack (except the first hit of that attack), but you can use it as often as you can Skirmish/Sneak Attack.

My basic suggestion would be to keep it the same but switch its bonus feats for some sort of limited casting that grants it the better combat spells like Blade Weave, Hunter's Eye, etc.

Why casting? That seems out of place. This class isn't supposed to be magical in any way.

Tvtyrant
2012-02-17, 03:43 PM
Well, this class needs the christmas tree effect in order to be effective, and while it certainly plays better than a Rogue in combat it doesn't really have a lot of variety. I suppose I should have asked what tier this is supposed to fit into, because its a strong 4 right now.

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-17, 03:46 PM
Well, this class needs the christmas tree effect in order to be effective, and while it certainly plays better than a Rogue in combat it doesn't really have a lot of variety. I suppose I should have asked what tier this is supposed to fit into, because its a strong 4 right now.

I don't really care what tier it is. I mean, I want it to make sense before I care about its power. It's got the versatility of a skill monkey, the speed and mobility of a scout, and the precision damage of a rogue, along with plenty of bonus feats to help soften the blow of TWF, Archery, and Ambush feat taxes. It's just...not a caster.

Tvtyrant
2012-02-17, 03:55 PM
There is always maneuvers :P

But I see your point about it not being a caster, and will not bring the subject up again. One possible alternative is to grant it a lot of skill tricks and/or floating feats. Things like Rooftop Walker which are not good enough to be taken as a normal feat but in an urban situation could be useful would be cool to swap in.

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-17, 04:03 PM
There is always maneuvers :P

But I see your point about it not being a caster, and will not bring the subject up again. One possible alternative is to grant it a lot of skill tricks and/or floating feats. Things like Rooftop Walker which are not good enough to be taken as a normal feat but in an urban situation could be useful would be cool to swap in.

See, that sounds cool, but at the same time, that's the chameleon's main schtick, and that would intrude on the only prestige class that actually promotes a human's versatility, which I don't really want to do.

Skill tricks, on the other hand, sound fantastic. Maybe granting a free skill trick every 3 levels, starting at 5th (when you start qualifying for them?)

ScrambledBrains
2012-02-18, 12:28 AM
See, that sounds cool, but at the same time, that's the chameleon's main schtick, and that would intrude on the only prestige class that actually promotes a human's versatility, which I don't really want to do.

Skill tricks, on the other hand, sound fantastic. Maybe granting a free skill trick every 3 levels, starting at 5th (when you start qualifying for them?)

You qualify for skill tricks at any level you get skill points, but you can only have a certain number of tricks(I think 1/2 class level, but don't quote me on that.)

ScrambledB

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-18, 12:56 AM
You qualify for skill tricks at any level you get skill points, but you can only have a certain number of tricks(I think 1/2 class level, but don't quote me on that.)

ScrambledB

I was referring to the prerequisites, actually, but glancing back at Complete Scoundrel it looks like you can start qualifying as early as 3rd level. So I guess I'll give a bonus skill trick at 3rd level and every 3 levels after that.

Sgt. Cookie
2012-02-18, 08:26 AM
I quite like the idea of this class, skirmish and sneak attack in one class seems like a pretty good combo. Still though, evasion but not improved evasion? What is the meaning of this madness? :smallwink:

Personaly, I second the martial maneuvers idea. Perhaps Desert Wind or Shadow Hand. Both focus on speed and ambush.

Other than that, I like it.

Kane0
2012-02-18, 11:22 PM
I like the Sneak Attack coupled with Skirmish, but wouldnt it be better scaled if they are staggered?

Maybe instead of Maneuvers add a choice of Guerrilla styled abilities to choose from every few levels? Skill tricks are also cool.

Edit: Also, isn't 10 skill points per level a bit much? Maybe lower that to 8.

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-18, 11:36 PM
I like the Sneak Attack coupled with Skirmish, but wouldnt it be better scaled if they are staggered?

Maybe instead of Maneuvers add a choice of Guerrilla styled abilities to choose from every few levels? Skill tricks are also cool.

Well, I already put skill tricks in. And sure, the progression might be better if they were staggered, but that's not how the Swift Ambusher feat works, so it would be missing the point of the class to do that.

What kinds of abilities would you suggest?

Edit: Also, isn't 10 skill points per level a bit much? Maybe lower that to 8.

The swift ambusher has about 30 different skills as class skills, I'd guess (probably more). 10+Int seems appropriate here.

Kane0
2012-02-19, 12:07 AM
Well, I already put skill tricks in. And sure, the progression might be better if they were staggered, but that's not how the Swift Ambusher feat works, so it would be missing the point of the class to do that.

What kinds of abilities would you suggest?

The swift ambusher has about 30 different skills as class skills, I'd guess (probably more). 10+Int seems appropriate here.

This class already has full Skirmish progression, so why would you want the swift ambusher feat? Even so, you would only qualify for it one level later (level 2). Unless the stacking is not capped by your level, in which case I guess you will lose out on one increase to your skirmish in the end.

Hmm, Guerrilla abilities... focusing on mobility, small forces fighting larger forces, utilising terrain advantage, separating foes, using attrition and morale.

So maybe along the lines of a few save or sucks (which you already have), moving them involuntarily around the battlefield, increasing party speed or granting them skirmish, favored terrain bonuses, penalties over time, any of these sound good?

Sorry, I was thinking pathfinder for skills, which condenses skills a fair bit. Still, one character maxing one third of all skills still seems a bit excessive. 8 should still give a plethora of skills and options.

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-19, 12:15 AM
This class already has full Skirmish progression, so why would you want the swift ambusher feat? Even so, you would only qualify for it one level later (level 2). Unless the stacking is not capped by your level, in which case I guess you will lose out on one increase to your skirmish in the end.

Hm? No no no. The point of the class is to emulate the Swift Ambusher feat, as in, a character who is able to use both Sneak Attack and Skirmish, gained at the same levels due to how the Swift Ambusher feat is worded, but with its own class features because the rogue is a terrible class.

Hmm, Guerrilla abilities... focusing on mobility, small forces fighting larger forces, utilising terrain advantage, separating foes, using attrition and morale.

So maybe along the lines of a few save or sucks (which you already have), moving them involuntarily around the battlefield, increasing party speed or granting them skirmish, favored terrain bonuses, penalties over time, any of these sound good?

Sorry, I was thinking pathfinder for skills, which condenses skills a fair bit. Still, one character maxing one third of all skills still seems a bit excessive. 8 should still give a plethora of skills and options.

Not really. I mean, if you want to make a smart swift ambusher? There are 10 Knowledge skills listed on the SRD alone. Or a one-man band swift ambusher? There are 9 different Perform skills.

Typically, you want Balance, Bluff, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Gather Information, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, and Tumble. That's 11 already, and it doesn't even cover flavorful skills like Sleight of Hand or otherwise useful skills like Open Lock.

Kane0
2012-02-19, 12:51 AM
Point made and taken, id never realised how many skills there are and how similar some of them can get. Anyway i thought through some of those ideas.

Separate opponents: If you connect with a sneak attack and then move away (or move anywhere for a skirmish) you can roll a free intimidate check against any opponent within 5ft/Swift Ambusher level or they must take a move action on their next turn to follow you.

Guerrilla Party: You can grant one ally per 2 Swift Ambusher levels half the speed bonus you gain as the Swift Ambusher class feature. This lasts for 1d4 + Con Mod rounds. Any speed bonus an ally already has does not stack with this.

Improved Guerrila Party: Any ally that you grant a movement speed bonus to also gains half your sneak attack or skirmish abilities for the same duration, their choice. This does not stack if they already have that ability.

Favorable Terrain: Choose one terrain type per 4 Swift Ambusher levels. This terrain grants you and any ally within 60ft of you a +2 bonus to attack rolls, dexterity based skill checks, and natural terrain is not considered difficult.

Guerrilla Attrition: If you hit the same enemy with either your sneak attack or Skirmish abilities in two consecutive rounds, they suffer a -1 to all rolls. This bonus stacks for every round following that you use either ability on the same foe. If you do not use either or these abilities or do not attack that foe that round, the penalty decreases by 2 every round until you use either ability on him again or the penalty is reduced to 0.

Hows that?