PDA

View Full Version : Kitsune (4e Race) - (Update: Ver 3.1 - 3/7/12) PEACH: Looking for feedback, please!

Dakaran
2012-02-16, 01:22 PM
Edit: (3/15/2012) Version 3.2 is up! Thanks!
Kitsune Version 3.2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12901889#post12901889)

Edit: (3/7/2012) I think I'm finally stepping out of development and into refinement. I would love some feedback on Kitsune Version 3.1! Thanks!
Kitsune Version 3.1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12856407#post12856407)

Edit: (3/1/2012) New version! I've made some big changes again now have Kitsune Version 3: Here's a shortcut the the updates below. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12820691#post12820691)

Oh, hi! So this is my first attempt at creating a homebrew race. I've always loved foxes and the mythological kitsune have always been very interesting to me (I loved the kitsune art in MTG Kamigawa and Vuplix/Ninetails were some of my favorite Pokemon as a kid) so I thought I would try to bring the kitsune to 4e as a playable race, at least in the way that I see them. My primary influence is the Nine-Tails fox and that the kitsune should be geared towards classes that have a sort of "samurai" feel to them; to me, in D&D terms, that means avenger, ranger, or rogue. So I've prattled enough about my reasoning. I would really love some feedback here, particularly on the racial feats that I've tried to develop. I've played plenty of D&D, but I've never actually made it out of the Heroic tier so some guidance on Paragon and Epic level stuff would really be helpful. The feats I've created for the most part try to make the tails of a kitsune matter. Hopefully that comes across interesting both flavor-wise and in the mechanics. Now without further ado, the Kitsune:

KITSUNE (Version 1 - not current, see edit at top of post)
Racial Traits
Average Height: 6’ 0’’ - 6’ 8”
Average Weight: 150 - 210 lb.

Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity; +2 Intelligence or +2 Wisdom

Size: Medium
Speed: 6
Vision: Low-light

Languages: Common, Choice of one other
Skill Bonuses: +2 Bluff, +2 Insight
Empowered Kitsune: You have two tails. At both 11th and 21st level you grow another tail.
Vulpine Agility: +1 Reflex
Cornered Reaction: You can use Cornered Reaction as an encounter power
Cornered Reaction: Kitsune Racial Power
As enemies close in you feel cornered; Your primal instincts surge and you lash out with the power of the Nine-tails.
Encounter * Fire, Primal
Immediate Reaction * Close burst 1
Requirement: You must be adjacent to 2 or more enemies
Trigger: You are attacked by an adjacent enemy
Targets: All creatures in range
Attack: Charisma + 2 vs Reflex, Dexterity + 2 vs Reflex, or Intelligence + 2 vs Reflex
Hit: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier fire damage.
Increase to +4 bonus and 2d6 + Intelligence modifier damage at 11th level, and to +6 bonus and 3d6 + Intelligence modifier damage at 21st level.
Special: When you create your character, choose Charisma, Dexterity, or Intelligence as the ability score you use when making attack rolls with this power. This choice remain throughout your character’s life and do not change the power’s other effects.
Suggested Classes: Avenger, Druid, Ranger, Rogue
Feats
Elusion of the Nine-Tails [Kitsune] (Heroic)
Prerequisite: Kitsune, Cornered Reaction racial power
Benefit: You grow another tail. When you use your Cornered Reaction power, after the attack you may choose to teleport a number of squares up to the number of tails you posses.

Fury of the Nine-Tails [Kitsune] (Heroic)
Prerequisite: Kitsune, Cornered Reaction racial power
Benefit: You grow another tail. When you use your Cornered Reaction power, all targets that you hit take ongoing fire damage equal to the number of tails you possess (save ends). At 11th level increase the ongoing fire damage by 5, and at 21st level increase the ongoing fire damage by another 5.

Knowledge of the Nine-Tails [Kitsune] (Heroic)
Prerequisite: Kitsune
Benefit: You grow another tail. Choose three skills from your class skill list. You gain a +2 feat bonus to checks of those skills.

Luck of the Nine-Tails [Kitsune] (Heroic)
Benefit: You grow another tail and can use Fortune of the Nine-Tails as a encounter power.
Fortune of the Nine-Tails: Kitsune Racial Power
Encounter
Free Action * Personal
Effect: Reroll a skill check roll. Use either roll.
Wisdom of the Nine-Tails [Kitsune] (Paragon)
Prerequisite: Kitsune, Knowledge of the Nine-Tails feat
Benefit: You grow another tail. Choose one skill that you have training in. You gain a feat bonus to checks of that skill equal to the number of tails you possess.

Ascension of the Nine-Tails [Kitsune] (Epic)
Prerequisiste: Kitsune, You have at least eight tails
Benefit: You grow another tail and you can use Wrath of the Nine-Tails as a daily power.
Wrath of the Nine-Tails
Daily
Free Action * Personal
Effect: You gain +9 to your next attack roll. In addition to the types of damage dealt by your next attack it also deals fire damage. You next attack also deals 20 ongoing fire damage (save ends).

Physical Qualities
Kitsune are tall and slender. Their faces resemble those of foxes, and possess keen sight and hearing. Kitsune are covered in fur. A kitsune male's fur is often orange or brown. A kitsune female's fur is often red. Both males and females can also have fur that is silver, black, or white. All kitsune have white fur on their chest and stomach. It is not uncommon for kitsune also have black fur covering their hands and feet. The most prominent feature of a kitsune its tail. At birth a kitsune has one tail, but as it ages a kitsune can grow more. Kitsune tails are long and slender with bushy fur, often tipped in white fur. By the time a kitsune has finished puberty they will have grown their second tail.
Playing a Kitsune
Kitsunes are highly intelligent creatures. Many outsiders view Kitsunes as wily and crafty tricksters, but is a stereo-type. Kitsunes are generally good-spirited, yet guarded. Kitsunes will rarely give information about themselves, including their names, unless necessary.
Kitsune put much importance on their tails and the number that they have, however very few every grow more than three or four. The cutting off of a kitsune’s tail is considered a heinous crime. Capital punishment in kitsune communities involves cutting off of one or more tails. Kitsunes believe that through their actions they are granted tails by the ancient nine-tailed kitsune that came before. Some kitsune try to attain additional tails through feats of knowledge, wisdom, or heroics.

vasharanpaladin
2012-02-16, 04:46 PM
Hengeyokai were released in Dragon alongside Heroes of the Feywild. Frankly, they do better for this. :smalltongue:

Dakaran
2012-02-16, 08:46 PM
Hengeyokai were released in Dragon alongside Heroes of the Feywild. Frankly, they do better for this. :smalltongue:

Can someone give me some details on the Hengeyokai? I don't have Dragon magazine.

Rotho
2012-02-19, 11:40 AM
I don't care if it's vs. a NAD, that encounter power needs a +3 modifier that scales to +6 in paragon and +9 in epic to actually hit reliably.

Can someone give me some details on the Hengeyokai? I don't have Dragon magazine.
Here's some important snippets :

- +2 dex; +2 wis or +2 cha
- speed 7
- polymorph into human, tiny animal or hybrid form of both at-will
- gain special movement type in animal form (fly, burrow, swim, or climb, or bonus to speed)

And there is a fox type, which gets a bonus to speed and stealth checks.

Dakaran
2012-02-19, 08:29 PM
I don't care if it's vs. a NAD, that encounter power needs a +3 modifier that scales to +6 in paragon and +9 in epic to actually hit reliably.

Here's some important snippets :

- +2 dex; +2 wis or +2 cha
- speed 7
- polymorph into human, tiny animal or hybrid form of both at-will
- gain special movement type in animal form (fly, burrow, swim, or climb, or bonus to speed)

And there is a fox type, which gets a bonus to speed and stealth checks.

Thanks Rotho!

Hm... yeah so I'm going for creating a non-polymorphing race. I view the kitsune as just a fox-like race. I have a slew of updates that I'm making right now that I'll post back later, including a Paragon path, but I need to give that some more thought.

Dakaran
2012-02-22, 01:02 PM
Ok, I've gone back to the board a bit here and re-hashed some stuff as well as added a bunch of new content. I won't include fluff here, but below is the updated Racial Traits, updated and new Feats, as well as a Racial Paragon Path. Please check out my Kitsune class version 2. I would loooove some feedback on anything and everything. I especially need ideas of a 20th level daily power for the Paragon Path.

KITSUNE
Version 2
Racial Traits
Average Height: 6’ 0’’ - 6’ 8”

Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity; +2 Charisma or +2 Wisdom
Speed: 7

Skill Bonuses: +2 Bluff; +2 Insight or +2 Stealth
Empowered Kitsune: At 1st level you have two tails. At both 11th and 21st level you grow another tail if you have less than eight tails.
Kitsune Reflexes: +1 Reflex
Cornered Reaction: You can use Fox Fire as an encounter power
Fox Fire: Kitsune Racial Power
Your primal instincts surge and you lash out with the power of the Nine-tails.
Encounter * Fire, Primal
Minor * Close burst 1
Attack: Charisma, Dexterity, or Wisdom + the number of tails you posses vs Reflex
Hit: 1d6 + Charisma, Dexterity, or Wisdom modifier fire damage.
11th Level: Change damage to 2d6 + Charisma mod fire damage
21st Level: Change damage to 3d6 + Charisma mod fire damage
Special: When you create your character, choose Charisma, Dexterity, or Wisdom as the ability score you use when making attack rolls with this power. This choice remain throughout your character’s life.

Suggested Classes: Assassin, Avenger, Druid, Ranger, Rogue

Racial Paragon Path
Paragon Path: Disciple of the Nine-Tails
Path Features:
Kitsune Alertness (11th level): You gain a bonus to initiative equal to the number of tails you possess and a +2 bonus to Perception.
Kitsune Cunning (11th level): You can spend an action point to add a bonus to an attack roll or a skill check equal to the number of tails you possess instead of of taking an extra action.
Empowered Disciple (16th level): If you have less than eight tails you grow another tail.
Dangerous When Cornered (16th level): You can use the racial power Fox Fire twice per encounter.

11th Level Attack:
Channelled Fox Fire
You channel the fury of your Fox Fire into your weapon to unleash on a single target
Encounter * Fire, Primal, Weapon
Standard Action * Melee or Ranged Weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Charisma, Dexterity, or Wisdom + the number of tails you possess vs Reflex
Hit: [2W] + Charisma, Dexterity, or Wisdom modifier + the number of tails you posses fire damage.
Special: You use the chosen ability score of your racial power Fox Fire when making attack and damage rolls with this power.

12th Level Utility:
Double-Vision - Disciple of the Nine-Tails Utility 12
Your eyes glow bright gold just before your opponent sees two of you, taunting them with those eyes.
Encounter * Illusion
No Action * Personal
Trigger: You are the target of an attack
Effect: The triggering attack roll receives a -5 penalty

20th Level Attack: ??

Feats
Prerequisite: Kitsune, Fox Fire racial power
Benefit: If you have less than eight tails, you grow another tail. When you use your Fox Fire power, after the attack you may choose to teleport a number of squares up to the number of tails you posses.

Benefit: If you have less than eight tails, you grow another tail. When you use your Fox Fire power, all targets that you hit take ongoing fire damage equal to the number of tails you possess (save ends). At 11th level increase the ongoing fire damage to 10, and at 21st level increase the ongoing fire damage to 15.

Nature of the Nine-Tails [Kitsune] (Heroic)
Benefit: If you have less than eight tails, you grow another tail. You gain a +2 feat bonus to Acrobatics, Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Stealth, Streetwise, and Thievery checks.

Prowess of the Nine-Tails [Kitsune] (Heroic)
Benefit: If you have less than eight tails, you grow another tail and can use Prowess of the Nine-Tails as a encounter power.
Prowess of the Nine-Tails: Kitsune Racial Power
Daily
Free Action * Personal
Requirement: You are making a skill check for a skill you are trained in
Effect: You gain a bonus to your skill check equal to the number of tails you possess
Special: At 16th level you may use Prowess of the Nine-Tails twice per day.

Shroud of the Nine-Tails [Kitsune Assassin] (Heroic)
Prerequisite: Kitsune, Assassin, class power Assassin’s Shroud
Benefit: If you have less than eight tails, you grow another tail. When you invoke your shrouds on an enemy and hit it, the enemy takes a -3 penalty to attack rolls made against you until the end of your next turn.

Oath of the Nine-Tails [Kitsune Avenger] (Heroic)
Prerequisite: Kitsune, Avenger, class power Oath of Enmity
Benefit: If you have less than eight tails, you grow another tail. When you use your Oath of Enmity power to make two attack rolls, if both rolls would hit your attack deals bonus fire damage equal to the half the number of tails you posses (rounded down).

Instincts of the Nine-Tails [Kitsune Druid] (Heroic)
Prerequisite: Kitsune, Druid, class power Wild Shape
Benefit: If you have less than eight tails, you grow another tail. While you are in beast form you may cast the racial power Fox Fire as thought it had the keyword “Beast Form”. You also gain a +2 feat bonus to Nature skill checks.

Quarry of the Nine-Tails [Kitsune Ranger] (Heroic)
Prerequisite: Kitsune, Ranger, class power Hunter’s Quarry
Benefit: If you have less than eight tails, you grow another tail. For the first enemy you designate with your Hunter’s Quarry during an encounter you can designate any enemy that you can see within a range of burst 10.

Viciousness of the Nine-Tails [Kitsune Rogue] (Heroic)
Prerequisite: Kitsune, Rogue, racial power Fox Fire
Benefit: If you have less than eight tails, you grow another tail. When you use the power Fox Fire you gain combat advantage against enemies that you hit until the start of your next turn.

Nimbleness of the Nine-Tails [Kitsune] (Paragon)
Benefit: If you have less than eight tails, you grow another tail. You gain a +1 feat bonus to your speed.

Prerequisiste: Kitsune, You have eight tails, You took the Disciple of the Nine-Tails Paragon Path
Benefit: You grow your ninth tail. You can use Wrath of the Nine-Tails as a daily power.
Wrath of the Nine-Tails
Daily * Fire, Primal
Free Action * Personal
Effect: You gain +9 to your next attack roll. In addition to the types of damage dealt by your next attack it also deals fire damage. You next attack also deals 20 ongoing fire damage (save ends).

Dust
2012-02-22, 02:45 PM
I'll be honest, here. I like what you're doing in theory. I think it's interesting to see a race with a unique mechanic like this built right in, and I also think you're on the right track. I didn't feel this way when I first started looking it over, but now it's starting to grow on me.

Double-Vision is about on par with Makeshift Shield, a level 6 utility power (give or take slightly due to it not being stat-dependent). I'm not sure if this needs tweaking or not, but it seems really out of place on a race that just screams 'Striker!' constantly.

As before, Fox Fire is rendered sub-par if you take anything but Kitsune racial feats....which most people will. Although this is doable because some of them are quite good, notably the rogue one and the skill bonus, others are just straight-up feat tax that turns me off the class entirely. The druid one, for example. And I don't like the idea of my racial power becoming bad if I don't take specific feats - isn't that one of the reasons some people MOVED to 4e to begin with?
It wouldn't be so bad if the Kitsune had any other racial perks going for them, but no, that minor attack once per encounter is it, the entire mechanical reason you have to play one of these critters.

Nimbleness of the Nine-Tails is not something I could ever see myself taking under any circumstances.

Suggestion; instead of making the number of tails you have feat-dependent, make it dependent on highest attribute modifiers (So a rogue with +5 DEX has 5 tails, and an epic-level character will have 9. Some builds could feasily get 30 in a stat, so you may want to address that and put a max cap on tail number.) or...actually, come to think of it, I don't like that idea much either. Disregard it. I just don't like them being tied to taken certain feats.

Dakaran
2012-02-22, 03:40 PM
I'll be honest, here. I like what you're doing in theory. I think it's interesting to see a race with a unique mechanic like this built right in, and I also think you're on the right track. I didn't feel this way when I first started looking it over, but now it's starting to grow on me.

Double-Vision is about on par with Makeshift Shield, a level 6 utility power (give or take slightly due to it not being stat-dependent). I'm not sure if this needs tweaking or not, but it seems really out of place on a race that just screams 'Striker!' constantly.

As before, Fox Fire is rendered sub-par if you take anything but Kitsune racial feats....which most people will. Although this is doable because some of them are quite good, notably the rogue one and the skill bonus, others are just straight-up feat tax that turns me off the class entirely. The druid one, for example. And I don't like the idea of my racial power becoming bad if I don't take specific feats - isn't that one of the reasons some people MOVED to 4e to begin with?
It wouldn't be so bad if the Kitsune had any other racial perks going for them, but no, that minor attack once per encounter is it, the entire mechanical reason you have to play one of these critters.

Nimbleness of the Nine-Tails is not something I could ever see myself taking under any circumstances.

Suggestion; instead of making the number of tails you have feat-dependent, make it dependent on highest attribute modifiers (So a rogue with +5 DEX has 5 tails, and an epic-level character will have 9. Some builds could feasily get 30 in a stat, so you may want to address that and put a max cap on tail number.) or...actually, come to think of it, I don't like that idea much either. Disregard it. I just don't like them being tied to taken certain feats.

Thank you for the feedback, Dust. I really appreciate it. :smallsmile:

So I think I'll address Fox Fire first as it's the racial feature and should showcase some uniqueness of the race. As I understand your comment, your biggest problem with it is that you feel you need to take Kitsune feats to make it on-par. My goal is to make a racial power that is on-par with other racial feats and is interesting. I want the power to be good on its own without a "feat tax". From a flavor perspective, kitsune revere those with more tails, thus I wanted to reward players for digging into their "kitsune roots" which is why I have the racial feats and racial paragon path. I don't want them to be necessary to make the race a viable option though for players who are more interested in a different direction of gameplay, like those that would prefer to take a class paragon path. Would you find the base Fox Fire power more on-par if it's attack was more guaranteed/structured with Ability +2 (+4 at 11th, +6 at 21st) instead of Ability + number of tails? Or is it still missing something? Would dropping one of the Fox Fire improvement feats and just making it part of the power even things out?

I'll need to give some thought to your comment that the Fox Fire is the only real perk to the class. I just had one of those "oh, duh" moments. I can't believe I didn't realize I only had one real racial perk... well I will have to remedy that for version 2.1.

Thanks again for the feedback, Dust!

Dakaran
2012-02-23, 03:03 PM
So I came up with a new racial feature that I think fits thematically and I really like. What's funny is the inspiration came from a thread I was reading on Homebrew WoW Races in D&D 4e (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233680). Later on I realized that the thread was started by Dust, but I didn't realize it until after I read through it all. I just thought it was ironic. :smallsmile:

Anyway, since foxes are elusive by nature and I've already tried to come up with powers/abilities to reflect that I took a liking to the Gnome power that gives a bonus to saving throws against certain conditions. So, I'm proposing the following Kitsune Racial Feature:

Natural Escapist: You gain a +(4 + half the number of tails you possess, rounded down) racial bonus to saving throws against immobilized, restrained, and slowed conditions.

Right off the bat, it's on par with other races that have +5 to saving throws against certain things, but has potential for improvement if you decide to invest in racial feats. (A level 1 Kitsune would have +5 as it starts with 2 tails.) I had considered making it +(3 + the number of tails), but since other racial saving throw bonuses don't scale I thought it was important to not make it really unbalanced.

Tegu8788
2012-02-23, 09:29 PM
I would suggest adding some other mechanic to acquire tails, start with more tails, or have each feat with a second tail. I do like the mechanic, and I think you've got the flavor of the Kitsune down pretty well.

Dakaran
2012-02-24, 10:32 AM
I would suggest adding some other mechanic to acquire tails, start with more tails, or have each feat with a second tail. I do like the mechanic, and I think you've got the flavor of the Kitsune down pretty well.

Do you mean have a feat that grows more than one additional tail? The race at 11th and 21st level grows another tail, each racial feat grows another tail, and the racial paragon path grows another tail at 16th level. (I do cap the growth of tails at 8. The 9th tail can only be acquired through a specific feat.)

Yakk
2012-02-29, 03:30 PM
I agree that your tail mechanic needs work.

As a thought, what I'd do is create a Theme, Paragon Path and Epic Destiny, instead of making it feat-based.

Instead of incrementally gaining tails, some racial features/etc give you a minimum number of tails.

Ie:
Racial Theme: At level 5 you get your 2nd tail automatically. (on top of whatever else it grants)
Heroic Racial Feat: Gives you your 2nd tail. (Also some other benefit)
Paragon Path: Requires that you have at least 2 tails. At level 16, gives you your 3rd tail automatically.
Paragon Racial feat: Requires you to have at least 2 tails. Grants you your 3rd tail. (Also some other benefit)
Epic Destiny: Requires you have at least 3 tails. At level 21, 22, 24, 26, 28 and 30 you grow your 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th tail respectively.

You'll note that taking the Theme gives you free entrance into the Paragon path, which gives you free entrance into the Epic destiny. You can also get into the Paragon Path by taking a Heroic tier feat. You can also get into the Epic destiny via either the Paragon Path, or the Paragon tier feat.

Now, the feats no longer grow you a tail (except the ones mentioned above). Feats and powers can refer to your number of tails, but they should be acceptable with only 1 or 2 or 3 tails, yet not overpowered with 4-9 at the epic level.

Benefit: If you have less than eight tails, you grow another tail. You gain a +2 feat bonus to Acrobatics, Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Stealth, Streetwise, and Thievery checks.
+2 feat bonus to 7 skills?! That is not all that similar to other feats.

It also overlaps with Prowess of the Nine-tails, in that it has the same narrative effects but different mechanical effects.

Dakaran
2012-02-29, 04:31 PM
I agree that your tail mechanic needs work.

As a thought, what I'd do is create a Theme, Paragon Path and Epic Destiny, instead of making it feat-based.

Instead of incrementally gaining tails, some racial features/etc give you a minimum number of tails.

Ie:
Racial Theme: At level 5 you get your 2nd tail automatically. (on top of whatever else it grants)
Heroic Racial Feat: Gives you your 2nd tail. (Also some other benefit)
Paragon Path: Requires that you have at least 2 tails. At level 16, gives you your 3rd tail automatically.
Paragon Racial feat: Requires you to have at least 2 tails. Grants you your 3rd tail. (Also some other benefit)
Epic Destiny: Requires you have at least 3 tails. At level 21, 22, 24, 26, 28 and 30 you grow your 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th tail respectively.

You'll note that taking the Theme gives you free entrance into the Paragon path, which gives you free entrance into the Epic destiny. You can also get into the Paragon Path by taking a Heroic tier feat. You can also get into the Epic destiny via either the Paragon Path, or the Paragon tier feat.

Now, the feats no longer grow you a tail (except the ones mentioned above). Feats and powers can refer to your number of tails, but they should be acceptable with only 1 or 2 or 3 tails, yet not overpowered with 4-9 at the epic level.

+2 feat bonus to 7 skills?! That is not all that similar to other feats.

It also overlaps with Prowess of the Nine-tails, in that it has the same narrative effects but different mechanical effects.

Is a Racial Theme an actual mechanic? I've not heard of that, but it's interesting.

The +2 feat bonus to 7 skills was influence by a Bard feat, that gives +2 to I believe 6 skills. I was giving a bonus to CHA and DEX skills, which I thought might be appropriate flavor-wise. If it's a little outrageous, perhaps trimming it down would be wise.

gokol
2012-03-01, 09:39 AM
I just don't like the idea of them not being shapeshifters that doesn't fit with the myth. :smallfrown:

Dakaran
2012-03-01, 11:33 AM
I just don't like the idea of them not being shapeshifters that doesn't fit with the myth. :smallfrown:

Hm. Well, I guess my influences with the Kitsune come from stories/universes where they don't shapeshift. In the myth you're familiar with, what can they shapeshift into?

gokol
2012-03-01, 02:30 PM
No Kitsunes in general are shapeshifters in Shinto.
They are usually portrayed as female.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsune

Dakaran
2012-03-01, 05:09 PM
Kitsune - Version 3

Changes from Version 2:
1) Biggest difference, feats no longer grow additional tails. A lot of the feedback I get is that the tails mechanic as it was made the race feel like it had a major feat tax. That was not the intention, so I decided to change course. Now tails are incremental: 2 at 1st level, then +1 at 6th, 11th, 16th, 21st, and 26th. Naturally a kitsune will grow 7 tails this way. The only way now for a kitsune to grow 9 tails is to take the Kitsune Paragon Path.
2) Dropped Racial +1 Reflex
3) New racial feature Natural Escapist: bonus to saving throws against restricting effects
4) New racial power Kitsune Disguise. I've also gotten a lot of feedback regarding kitsune lore and the ability to shapeshift. I was hesitant at first to dip into this part as I didn't really want to do the tri-shapeshifting of human, fox, or kitsune form. I reconsidered as I feel the kitsune are an elusive, cunning, and occasionally trickster race. Being able to shift one's form does seem to go along with the myth and the flavor of the creature. I choose to stick with humanoid shapeshifting and thus the power is ultimately similar to that of the Changeling with one main difference that I don't know yet if it's a big deal or not. In order to assume a new form, a kitsune must transform from its natural state. It cannot go from one shape to another without first revealing its true form.
5) Updated Fox Fire to deal damage with a bonus equal to the number of tails. This will allow the power to grow on par with other races, but have intermediate bonuses that other racial powers don't. (+1 tail at 6th and 16th for example.)
6) The Kitsune Paragon Path now grows the additional two tails needed to hit the max of 9.
7) I updated some of the feats, and removed a couple. Again, no feats grow tails.

Racial Traits
Average Height: 6' 0" - 6' 8"

Skill Bonuses: +2 Bluff, +2 Insight

Empowered Kitsune: At 1st level you have two tails. At 6th, 11th, 16th, 21st, and 26th you grow another tail.
Natural Escapist: You gain a +(4 + half the number of tails you possess, rounded down) racial bonus to saving throws against immobilized, restrained, and slowed conditions.

Kitsune Trickery: You can use Kitsune Disguise as an at-will power.
Kitsune Disguise: Kitsune Racial Power
At-Will * Polymorph
Minor Action * Personal
Prerequisite: You must be in your natural kitsune form
Effect: You alter your physical form to take on the appearance of any Medium humanoid, including a specific individual whom you’ve seen. You retain your statistics in your new form, and your clothing, armor, and possessions do not change. The new form lasts until you choose to revert back to your natural form, which is a minor action.
Any creature that attempts to see through your ruse makes an Insight check opposed by your Bluff check, and you gain a bonus to your check equal to the number of tails you possess.

Cornered Reaction: You can use Fox Fire as an encounter power.
Encounter * Fire, Primal
Minor * Close burst 1
Attack: Charisma, Dexterity, or Wisdom + the number of tails you posses vs Reflex
Hit: 1d6 + Charisma, Dexterity, or Wisdom mod + the number of tails you possess fire damage.
11th Level: Change damage dice to 2d6
21st Level: Change damage dice to 3d6
Special: When you create your character, choose Charisma, Dexterity, or Wisdom as the ability score you use when making attack and damage rolls with this power. This choice remain throughout your character’s life. Druids can use Fox Fire as though it has the “Beast Form” keyword.

Racial Paragon Path
Path Features:
Empowered Disciple: You grow another tail at 13th and 18th level.
Kitsune Alertness (11th level): You gain a bonus to initiative equal to the number of tails you possess and a +2 bonus to Perception.
Kitsune Cunning (11th level): You can spend an action point to add a bonus to an attack roll or a skill check equal to the number of tails you possess instead of of taking an extra action.
Dangerous When Cornered (16th level): You can use the racial power Fox Fire twice per encounter.
11th Level Attack:
Channelled Fox Fire
You channel the fury of your Fox Fire into your weapon to unleash on a single target
Attack: Charisma, Dexterity, or Wisdom + the number of tails you possess vs AC
Hit: [2W] + Charisma, Dexterity, or Wisdom modifier + the number of tails you posses fire damage.
Special: You use the chosen ability score of your racial power Fox Fire when making attack and damage rolls with this power.

Brainstorm/Looking for ideas for the 12th and 20th level powers
12th Level Utility: ?
20th Level Attack: ?

Feats
Benefit: When you use your Fox Fire power, as an aftereffect you may choose to teleport a number of squares up to the number of tails you posses. Teleporting this way does not provoke opportunity attacks.

Benefit: When you use your Fox Fire power, all targets that you hit take ongoing fire damage equal to 5 + half the number of tails you possess, rounded down (save ends).
At 11th level increase the ongoing fire damage to 10 + Half Tails.
At 21st level increase the ongoing fire damage to 15 + Half Tails.

Benefit: If you have less than eight tails, you grow another tail. You gain a +2 feat bonus to Acrobatics, Bluff, Stealth, and Thievery checks.

Benefit: When you invoke your shrouds on an enemy and hit it, the enemy takes a penalty to attack rolls made against you until the end of your next turn equal to the number of tails you possess.

Benefit: When you use your Oath of Enmity power to make two attack rolls, if both rolls would hit your attack deals bonus fire damage equal to number of tails you possess.

Instincts of the Nine-Tails [Kitsune Druid] (Heroic)
Prerequisite: Kitsune, Druid
Benefit: Looking for ideas

Benefit: You may designate any enemy with your Hunter’s Quarry that you can see within a range of burst 3 + the number of tails you possess. (Instead of only the closest.)

Benefit: When you use the power Fox Fire you gain combat advantage against enemies that you hit until the start of your next turn.

Blessing of the Nine-Tails [Kitsune] (Heroic)
Benefit: You gain a +1 feat bonus to your Fortitude, Reflex, and Will.

Prerequisite: Kitsune, Kitsune Paragon Path, Level 26 (has 9th tail)
Looking for some refining:
Feat gives a power to the player: Daily Power, Transform to a large nine-tailed fox (literally becoming Large size) until beginning of next turn, increases defenses, has a couple of attacks that it can only use while in this form (can't use normal attacks). I'm looking for ideas for interesting powers to be used in this form.

Surrealistik
2012-03-01, 06:23 PM

Way too powerful, especially given the commonality of these conditions, and the fact that they're incorporated into so many other effects.

Dakaran
2012-03-01, 10:36 PM
Way too powerful, especially given the commonality of these conditions, and the fact that they're incorporated into so many other effects.

Would you feel it was a more appropriate power as one of these:
1) Bonus to those 3 saving throws equal to the number of tails you posses
2) Bonus to those 3 saving throws equal to half the number of tails

Dakaran
2012-03-01, 11:11 PM
Or perhaps these options:

3) Keeping the same or similar bonus, but vs immobilized and restrained (dropping slowed)
4) Keeping the same or similar bonus, but only vs restrained (dropping slowed and immobilized)

Dakaran
2012-03-07, 04:52 PM
KITSUNE
VERSON 3.1
Please take a look and tell me what you think. I'd love to get some feedback now that I think I'm pretty much into refinement and out of development.
Thanks!
Dakaran

Updates!
3.1 Updates
* Refined focus. I cut teleportation as a racial theme, thus the feat granting teleportation after using Fox Fire is gone.
* Finally finished a full draft of the Racial Paragon Path, which resulted in a replaced/new Utility 12, a replaced/new Feature 16, and a new Attack 20.
* Changed skill bonuses to Bluff and Stealth instead of Bluff and Insight
* Made another attempt at a kitsune druid feat
* Created an epic feat for when a kitsune has nine tails
* Cut back on the Natural Escapist racial trait bonus. The bonus is now equal to half the number of tails (rounded down) instead of the original 4 + half tails.

Racial Traits
Average Height: 6' 0" - 6' 8"
Average Weight: 150 - 210 lbs.

Skill Bonuses: +2 Bluff, +2 Stealth

Empowered Kitsune: At 1st level you have two tails. At 6th, 11th, 16th, 21st, and 26th you grow another tail.
Natural Escapist: You gain a bonus to saving throws against immobilized and restrained conditions equal to half the number of tails you possess (rounded down).

Kitsune Disguise: You can use Kitsune Disguise as an encounter power
At-Will * Polymorph
Minor Action * Personal
Effect: You alter your physical form to take on the appearance of any Medium humanoid, including a specific individual whom you’ve seen. You retain your statistics in your new form, and your clothing, armor, and possessions do not change. The new form lasts until you choose to revert back to your natural form, which is a minor action.
Any creature that attempts to see through your ruse makes an Insight check opposed by your Bluff check, and you gain a bonus to your check equal to the number of tails you possess.

Fox Fire: You can use Fox Fire as an encounter power
Encounter * Fire, Primal
Minor * Close burst 1
Hit: 1d6 + Charisma, Dexterity, or Wisdom mod
11th Level: Change damage dice to 2d6
21st Level: Change damage dice to 3d6
Special: When you create your character, choose Charisma, Dexterity, or Wisdom as the ability score you use when making attack and damage rolls with this power. This choice remain throughout your character’s life.

Racial Paragon Path
Path Features:
Empowered Disciple: You grow additional tails at 13th and 18th level and you grow your final tail at 24th level instead of 26th.
Master Escapist (16th level): You can make saving throws against immobilized and restrained conditions at the beginning of your turn instead of the end.

11th Level Attack:
Channelled Fox Fire - Disciple of the Nine-Tails Attack 11

12th Level Utility:
Tricky Escape - Disciple of the Nine-Tails Utility 12
You react to being hit by summoning a blinding flare of light where you stand and disappear in the confusion.
Daily * Illusion, Primal
Immediate Reaction * Personal
Trigger: You are hit by an attack
Effect: You are invisible until the end of your next turn and you may shift up to a number of squares equal to half the number of tails you possess (rounded down). If you attack, you are no longer invisible.

20th Level Attack:
Tip to Tail - Disciple of the Nine-Tails Attack 20
You whirl around, ripping your enemy off his feet with your tails, and come about to deal a vicious blow.
Daily * Weapon
Standard Action * Melee Weapon
Attack: Dexterity + the number of tails you possess vs Reflex
Hit: You knock the target prone and make a secondary attack against the target.
Secondary Attack: Dexterity + the number of tails you possess vs AC
Hit: 3[W] + Dexterity modifier damage
Feats
Prerequisite: Kitsune, Fox Fire racial power or Channelled Fox Fire paragon power
Benefit: When you use your Fox Fire or Channelled Fox Fire power, all targets that you hit take ongoing fire damage equal to 5 + half the number of tails you possess, rounded down (save ends).

Benefit: You gain a +2 feat bonus to Acrobatics, Bluff, Stealth, and Thievery checks.

Benefit: When you invoke your shrouds on an enemy and hit it, the enemy takes a penalty to attack rolls made against you until the end of your next turn equal to the number of tails you possess.

Benefit: When you use your Oath of Enmity power to make two attack rolls, if both rolls would hit your attack deals bonus fire damage equal to number of tails you possess.

Heritage of the Nine-Tails [Kitsune Druid] (Heroic)
Benefit: You gain a +2 feat bonus to History and Nature. You may use Wild Shape to take the form of a Small fox with one tail or as many tails as you currently possess. In this form you have a +2 bonus to Acrobatics and Stealth and you may use the racial power Fox Fire as though it had the keyword Beast Form.

Benefit: You may designate any enemy with your Hunter’s Quarry that you can see within a range of burst 3 + the number of tails you possess.

Benefit: When you use the power Fox Fire you gain combat advantage against enemies that you hit until the start of your next turn.

Prerequisiste: Kitsune, Disciple of the Nine-Tails Paragon Path, Possess nine tails, Level 24
Benefit: You can use True Form of the Nine-Tails as a daily power.
True Form of the Nine-Tails
Your fur shimmers beautifully like glittering gold and an aura of golden light emanates from your body. Your senses sharpen and your body strengthens as you transform. You can make a debilitating attack, demonstrating the power that comes from ascending to the pinnacle of kitsune evolution, the Nine-Tails.
Daily * Polymorph
Minor Action * Personal
Effect: You assume your natural kitsune form, but your fur changes to a bright gold color. You cannot use Kitsune Disguise while in this form. While you are in this form you gain the following bonuses:
* +2 bonus to speed
* +5 bonus to Insight and Perception
* An aura with a range of close burst 2 exists while you are in this form. You can see invisible creatures in the aura.
* Your Fox Fire power’s range increases to close burst 2
* Once during the encounter you can make the following attack while in this form:
Encounter * Fire, Primal, Radiant
Standard Action * Area burst 2 within 10 squares
Target: All enemies in burst
Damage: 2d10 + Charisma, Dexterity, or Wisdom modifier + the number of tails you possess fire and radiant damage and the target is blinded (save ends).

Dakaran
2012-03-15, 02:31 PM
KITSUNE
Version 3.2
Racial Traits
Average Height: 6’ 0” - 6’ 8”

Skill Bonuses: +2 Bluff, +2 Stealth

Updated! Natural Escapist: You gain a bonus to saving throws against immobilized and restrained conditions equal to 4 + half the number of tails you possess (rounded down).
Changed bonus to 4 + Half-Tails: Natural 5 at level 1

Updated! Kitsune Disguise You can use Kitsune Disguise as an at-will power
At-Will * Polymorph
Minor Action * Personal
Any creature that attempts to see through your ruse makes an Insight check opposed by your Bluff check, and you gain a bonus to your Bluff check equal to 3 + the number of tails you possess.
Updated to read "at-will" as I had mistaken noted it as an encounter power. Changed bonus to opposed Bluff Check to 3 + Tails: Natural 5 at level 1

Updated!Fox Fire: You can use Fox Fire as an encounter power
Encounter * Fire, Primal
Minor * Close burst 1
Attack: 1 + Charisma, Dexterity, or Wisdom + the number of tails you posses vs Reflex
Hit: 1d6 + Charisma, Dexterity, or Wisdom mod fire damage
Increase to “2 +” and 2d6 damage dice at 11th level. Increase to “3 +” and 3d6 damage dice at 21st level.
Special: When you create your character, choose Charisma, Dexterity, or Wisdom as the ability score you use when making attack and damage rolls with this power. This choice remain throughout your character’s life.
Added "fire" damage as it was previously omitted. Bonus to attack is now 1 + Tails in Heroic, 2 + Tails in Paragon, and 3 + Tails in Epic, thus 3/6/9 at 1st/11th/21st levels. I use Tails instead of just a flat 3/6/9 so that there's growth to the power inbetween reaching new tiers.

Racial Paragon Path
Path Features:
Empowered Disciple: You grow additional tails at 13th and 18th level and you grow your ninth and final tail at 24th level instead of 26th.

New! Dangerous When Cornered (11th level): When you are adjacent to two or more enemies, you gain a bonus to attack equal to the number of enemies adjacent to you.
Just straight up nixed "Kitsune Cunning" and in it's place is "Dangerous When Cornered". I put it at 2 or more enemies, but I'm waffling on whether or not it should be 3.

New!Respite of the Nine-Tails (16th Level): When you use your second wind you regain additional hit points equal to the number of tails you possess and become invisible until the end of your next turn.
Also got rid of "Master Escapist". In it's place is "Respite of the Nine-Tails".

11th Level Attack:
Updated!Channelled Fox Fire - Disciple of the Nine-Tails Attack 11
You channel the fury of your Fox Fire into a single focus to unleash on a single target
Encounter * Fire, Primal, Implement or Weapon
Standard Action * Melee/Ranged Weapon or Ranged 10 if it is a non-weapon attack
Hit: 2[W] + Charisma, Dexterity, or Wisdom modifier + the number of tails you posses fire damage. Use d8 for [W] if it is a non-weapon attack.
Updated to allow for implement users to use the ability with d8 taking the place of [W] for them.

12th Level Utility:
Updated!Tricky Escape - Disciple of the Nine-Tails Utility 12
You react to being hit by summoning a blinding flare of light where you stand and disappear in the confusion.
Daily * Illusion, Primal
Immediate Reaction * Personal
Trigger: You are hit by an attack
Effect: You are invisible until the end of your next turn and you may shift up to a number of squares equal to half the number of tails you possess (rounded down).
Invisibility isn't ended by attacking.

20th Level Attack:
Updated!Tip to Tail - Disciple of the Nine-Tails Attack 20
You whirl around, ripping your enemy off his feet with your tails, and come about to deal a vicious blow.
Daily * Implement or Weapon
Standard Action * Melee
Target: One creature in range
Attack: You make the following two attacks against a single target in order. You still make the secondary attack even if the primary attack misses.
Primary Attack: Dexterity + the number of tails you possess vs Reflex
Hit: You knock the target prone and deal damage equal to the number of tails you possess.
Secondary Attack: Dexterity + the number of tails you possess vs AC
Hit: 3[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, or 3d8 + Dexterity modifier damage if it is a non-weapon attack
Miss: Half damage
Special: If your secondary attack hits and the target is prone, increase the attack damage to 4[W] or 4d8 if it is a non-weapon attacks
Modified so that the secondary attack isn't dependent on the primary attack hitting and included a special case to increase the damage if the target is prone. Also updated to allow for implement users. The spirit of the attack is to knock a target prone and attack, utilizing that advantage. If I've overlooked something by allowing an implement bonus to be added to the melee attack, please let me know.

Feats (All still the same as 3.1)
Prerequisite: Kitsune, Fox Fire racial power or Channelled Fox Fire paragon power
Benefit: When you use your Fox Fire or Channelled Fox Fire power, all targets that you hit take ongoing fire damage equal to 5 + half the number of tails you possess, rounded down (save ends).

Benefit: You gain a +2 feat bonus to Acrobatics, Bluff, Stealth, and Thievery checks.

Heritage of the Nine-Tails [Kitsune Druid] (Heroic)
Benefit: You gain a +2 feat bonus to History and Nature. You may use Wild Shape to take the form of a Small fox with one tail or as many tails as you currently possess. In this form you have a +2 bonus to Acrobatics and Stealth and you may use the racial power Fox Fire as though it had the keyword Beast Form.

Benefit: You may designate any enemy with your Hunter’s Quarry that you can see within a range of burst 3 + the number of tails you possess.

Prerequisiste: Kitsune, Disciple of the Nine-Tails Paragon Path, Possess nine tails, Level 24
Benefit: You can use True Form of the Nine-Tails as a daily power.
True Form of the Nine-Tails
Your fur shimmers beautifully like glittering gold and an aura of golden light emanates from your body. Your senses sharpen and your body strengthens as you transform. You can make a debilitating attack, demonstrating the power that comes from ascending to the pinnacle of kitsune evolution, the Nine-Tails.
Daily * Polymorph
Minor Action * Personal
Effect: You assume your natural kitsune form, but your fur changes to a bright gold color. You cannot use Kitsune Disguise while in this form. While you are in this form you gain the following bonuses:
+2 bonus to speed
+5 bonus to Insight and Perception
An aura with a range of close burst 2 exists while you are in this form. You can see invisible creatures in the aura.
Your Fox Fire power’s range increases to close burst 2
Once during the encounter you can make the following attack while in this form:
Encounter * Fire, Primal, Radiant
Standard Action * Area burst 2 within 10 squares
Target: All enemies in burst
Damage: 2d10 + Charisma, Dexterity, or Wisdom modifier + the number of tails you possess fire and radiant damage and the target is blinded (save ends).

Dust
2012-03-15, 04:35 PM
That looks a lot better. I'm sure I could pick out flaws if I really went through it, but I just wanted to open the discussion with that phrase. Lots and lots of improvements, and they're all in the right direction. It looks actually playable now.

The first and only thing that jumps out to me as needing changing is the polymorph. I'd remove the bonus granted to not being able to see through it - because honestly, a Kitsune probably shouldn't be infinitely better than a changeling...and also allow you to turn into an actual multi-tailed fox woodland critter, hiding your gear and possessions appropriately while in that form. It just seems thematic.