PDA

View Full Version : Gnome Mage Enchanter/Illusionist (Need Advice)

Blind_Prophet
2012-02-16, 01:40 PM
OK let's start with some background info...Sarin (my gnome Mage) is a former member of an unnamed Magic Acamdemy (DM asked that we leave names up to him) who pissed off one of his colleagues (Who specializes in Evocation/Necromancy) somehow (thinking acidentally turned something special to his collegue into stone when he botched a spell) and this colleague apprently has way too much time and money on his hands so Sarin was forced to flee and In an effort to well...not be killed Sarin has joined in a ______ Pact with _______ (pact undecided - going for Entrancing Mystic PP) as well one of these "Joined Veiled Alliance to gain Allies", "Became a Scholar to learn as much as possible to survive" or "Brought his pet Blink Dog to watch his back" also he always has his trusty Spectral Serpent Asmodeus (Might change the name) with him.

Note: I plan to play Sarin as a mischief maker who despite being hunted tends to get distracted...especially if there's gambling involved

Here's my guess for the rest of the party...the actual collaberation is tommorow night.

1 - Defender likely Dragonborn...possibly Genasi

2 - Striker...will probably forget to buy a weapon

3 - Leader, Ranged (Magic or Weapon) Pixie

4 - Wild Card likely a striker (New player)

Anyways here's the actually build with a few questions afterwards

Note: Starting level is undecided and stats will be rolled but I'm using Level 1 and a Stat Array for ease of example

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Sarin, level 1
Gnome, Mage
Level 1 Apprentice Mage: Enchantment Apprentice
Background: Fugitive from a Vengeful Rival (Fugitive from a Vengeful Rival Benefit)
Theme: Scholar

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 11, Dex 10, Int 20, Wis 10, Cha 16.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 8, Con 11, Dex 10, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 14.

AC: 15 Fort: 10 Reflex: 15 Will: 15
HP: 21 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 5

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +12, Bluff +11, Stealth +8, History +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Diplomacy +3, Dungeoneering, Endurance, Heal, Insight, Intimidate +3, Nature, Perception, Religion +5, Streetwise +3, Thievery, Athletics -1

FEATS
Level 1: Arcane Familiar

POWERS
Level 1 Mage At-Will Powers: Beguiling Strands
Level 1 Mage At-Will Powers: Hypnotism
Level 1 Mage Daily Powers: Phantom Chasm
Level 1 Mage Daily Powers: Sleep
Level 1 Mage Encounter Powers: Charm of Misplaced Wrath
Level 1 Mage Encounter Powers: Illusory Obstacles
Mage Cantrips: Light
Mage Cantrips: Prestidigitation
Mage Cantrips: Spook

ITEMS
Robe, Adventurer's Kit, Quarterstaff, Orb
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Questions

- Staff vs. Orb?

- Theme? Fey Beast Tamer, Scholar, Renegade Red Wizard, Order Adept, Veiled Alliance..which fits best with the story and comes with some fun bonuses (I'm partial to Scholar but it's mostly fluff)

- Cantrips?

- Anything else you can think of...of course

Oh and here's a pic I nicked off of Google (put on Photobucket to resize) to give a general idea of his look

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo93/Failedlegend/jebedo_snigglepop_by_blazbaros-d37x404.png?t=1329551810

Kurald Galain
2012-02-16, 02:03 PM
Staffs are generally better than orbs, although using an off-hand orb for its daily power is good. Overall it depends on whether you can make your own items, or whether you're dependent on arbitrary or random loot. Until you find magical items, it's irrelevant for a mage what implement you hold.

Theme is whatever you wish. Scholar is a good pick. Fey Beast Tamer is fun if you want another creature to control (and this gets hilarious if you also use a familiar, multiclass to shaman for a spirit, and use summon spells all at the same time).

For cantrips, I usually pick mage hand (which is excellent) plus whatever of the "replace skill by arcana" cantrips I find appropriate to the character.

Grasping Shadows is a very good L1 illusion power, as an alternative to Illus Obstacles (which is also good). Sleep is an excellent and encounter-winning power; Phantom Chasm not so much.

You should consider taking a 13 wisdom so you can use Enlarge Spell. For illusion spells this is really good, but it doesn't work with many enchantment spells, so this is a consideration rather than an auto-pick. That said, you don't particularly need a lot of charisma.

Surrealistik
2012-02-16, 03:24 PM
Sleep is subpar without any save penalizers.

Phantom Chasm is quite good and its encounter long autoprone works excellently with Beguiling Strands. I would go with Flaming Sphere as your back up daily. Flaming Sphere is simply one of the most consistent, reliable Heroic controller dailies in the game.

Agree with Kurald on the cantrips and encounters. Also second the recommendation to snag Enlarge Spell; it's pretty essential for a non-enchanter.

Orb Expertise > Staff Expertise. Snag Orb of Forceful Magic for even more forced movement. Staff of Aversion in the off-hand. OA's are in practice rarely a concern between shifting + your close attack powers. Later snag Orb of Mental Dominion and Sleep begins to look very attractive.

As themes go, I'd personally run Noble Adept. Order Adept and Fey Beast Tamer are all good picks and probably my favourites from that list. Scholar is decent.

Blind_Prophet
2012-02-16, 06:17 PM
- One vote for orbs one for Staves :( lol

- No Flaming Sphere I want to limit this guy to Illusion/Enchantment (Mostly enchant) spells.

- Charisma is for Warlock Powers,Entrancing Mystic, Bluff (Flavour reasons) and a few other things I can't remember right now (At work)

Sinon
2012-02-16, 09:09 PM
At this point, it isn’t that orbs are better than staves . Or vice versa. It is the expertise feats that go with them. Staff expertise protects you against some Opportunity Attacks. Orb improves your ability to push/pull/slide.

Utilize your defender, stay out of melee, and orb expertise is probably better, especially considering your powers.

Blind_Prophet
2012-02-17, 02:33 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong

Apprentice Enchanter: +2 Forced Movements

Orb Expertise: +1 Forced Movement

Petrified Orb (Superior Implement): +1 Forced Movement

Beguiling Strands (At-Will): Slide Targets 3 Squares

MY Beguiling StrandS: Slide the Targets 7 (3+2+1+1) Squares

Yes?

FUS RO DAH?

Also I'm thinking of taking Renegade Red Wizard Theme as it fits Sarin's backstory quite well and has some decent powers but I would sacrifice the Illusion secondary...but is does allow me to specialize more feat wise. Speaking of which here's the feats I'm thinking of taking...no particular order

- Beguiling Enchantment
- Improved Defenses
- Improved Initiative
- Orb Expertise
- Superior Implement: Petrified Orb
- Unarmored Agility
- Pact Initiate
- Arcane Familiar: Serpent
- Far Spell
- Distant Advantage
- Linguist
- Toughness
- White Lotus Evasion
- White Lotus Hindrance
- White Lotus Riposte
- Elan Heritage
- Swift Jaguar
- Mark of Scribing
- Skill Focus: Bluff/Stealth/Arcana

I know there's WAY more than what I get I'm just looking for opinions.

Gillric
2012-02-17, 11:24 AM
another option for your level 1 daily is fountain of flame. I would probably take it over sleep, has a nice bit of zone damage

Surrealistik
2012-02-17, 11:53 AM
As superior implements go, Accurate and Crystal Orbs are your best choices.

Since you're going to be mainly charm/enchantment based, definitely get a staff of sleep and charm in your off-hand.

Orb of Forceful Magic increases all of your forced movement by an additional 1 btw.

Blind_Prophet
2012-02-18, 01:34 AM
OK so we finally started the campaign and the DM decided Lvl 4 was a good starting Level (we've been doing the "D&D Encounters" up to this point and were sick of levels 1-3)

Anyways here's my build up to level 4 also I've added some house rules (which were made up on the spot and are subject to change :P) and his more fleshed out backstory. Open to suggestions for changes.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Sarin, level 4
Gnome, Mage
Level 1 Apprentice Mage: Enchantment Apprentice
Pact Initiate: Pact Initiate (dark pact)
Level 4 Apprentice Mage: Renegade Red Wizard Apprentice
Background: Fugitive from a Vengeful Rival (Fugitive from a Vengeful Rival Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 15, Dex 13, Int 19, Wis 13, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 11, Con 15, Dex 13, Int 16, Wis 13, Cha 15.

AC: 16 Fort: 14 Reflex: 16 Will: 18
HP: 37 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 9

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +13, Diplomacy +11, History +11, Stealth +11, Bluff +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +4, Heal +3, Insight +3, Intimidate +6, Nature +3, Perception +3, Religion +6, Streetwise +6, Thievery +3, Athletics +2

FEATS
Level 1: Arcane Familiar
Level 2: Pact Initiate
Level 4: Beguiling Enchantment

POWERS
Level 1 Mage At-Will Powers: Hypnotism
Level 1 Mage At-Will Powers: Beguiling Strands
Level 1 Mage Daily Powers: Phantom Chasm
Level 1 Mage Daily Powers: Sleep
Level 1 Mage Encounter Powers: Illusory Obstacles
Level 1 Mage Encounter Powers: Charm of Misplaced Wrath
Mage Cantrips: Light
Mage Cantrips: Prestidigitation
Mage Cantrips: Spook
Level 2 Mage Utility Powers: Mystical Debris
Level 2 Mage Utility Powers: Perfect Recall
Level 3 Mage Encounter Powers: Maze of Mirrors
Level 3 Mage Encounter Powers: Hypnotic Pattern

ITEMS
Rags
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Anyways here's the revamped Backstory (We all brainstormed to improve our backstories...most input from the DM)

So Sarin was a Student of the Red Wizard academy (DM will decide name later) where he and other prospective wizards were taught by masters of the various schools of Magic.

Sarin was always the top of his class when using enchantment magic and his illusion magic was quite impressive but couldn't seem to handle the other schools very well especially evocation in which he could barely manage to cast magic missile and he was constantly berated by the Master Wizard who taught Evocation (Still unnamed).

Eventually Sarin got the idea to start using illusion magic to "fake" the ability to use evocation spells not realizing that a master wizard could easily spot that. Needless to say it didn't go very well (despite his collegues loving the display) and Sarin was summoned to the Evo-Master's quarters along with a pyromancer that accidentally lit a someones hair on fire.

Sarin decided he was fed-up with the crap his Evo-Master put him through so he decided to play a trick on him and went to his Master's quarters before the scheduled meeting and hid among the shadows in the room. Later the Pyromancer and the Evo-master came into the room and started berating the Pyro.

While this was going on Sarin cast a illusionary fire on the Master's desk...the Pyro's eyes widened as he saw this and the master spun around to see his desk blazing and it spreading around the room...assuming the Pyro did it he turned around and in his anger disintegrated the Pyro.

Startled by this turn of events Sarin's concentration was broken and the illusion faded..the master hearing a yelp from Sarin notices him and as the fires poof out of existence he realized what happened.

Just as the master was about to obliterate Sarin he got a better idea and cast some magical bounds on Sarin and left to get the Archmage so he could report Sarin murdering the Pyro (said this to Sarin). While the Master was gone Sarin was able to overcome the magically bounds turning them to dust and after grabbing some meager supplies and his Serpent's Book (allows Sarin to bring his Spectral Serpent into this Plane) he quickly escaped the academy .

Sarin now lives as a hunted murderer and was ex-communicated from the Red wizard academy. To survive he started gambling using illusion and enchantments to gain the upper hand and move on when he starts to get noticed by authorities or any other threats including mage hunters...none of which he could ever hope to actually WIN against so when he met a powerful Dark Elf Warlock he agreed to a pact to gain power in hopes of better protecting himself. He still doesn't precisely know what the Elf got out of the deal.

Recently during a high stakes card game Sarin unknowingly faced off against another Wizard in the final match-up (round? hand?) who actually caught Sarin cheating...security went to take Sarin away but the Wizard stopped them said I'll handle this...took his winnings and dragged Sarin away in chains.

The Campaign starts here...hence why I have no equipment beyond my some old torn-up clothes. Were hoping to recover our actual equipment IF we can find it in this trap-ridden maze of a dungeon.

- We've decided casters can use any mundane items as an implement (mostly since we started with nothing) but any enchanted or magically item must be a implement our Class(es) can use

- We've also houseruled in weaknesses for each of our characters...nothing like -2 Str or anything...personality traits that the DM can exploit (ie. Sarin is a compulsive Gambler and a bit of a risk Taker).

- If a character is disabled in anyway (Prone, Immobilized,Grabbed,etc.) will lose any Dex or Int Bonus to AC...Armor Based AC is unaffected.

- We have implemented 3.5 Alignments Lawful/Neutral/Chaotic & Good/Neutral/Evil and at the DMs discretion we can gain points in any of the above and after an unnamed amount our alignment can be changed.

Oh and here's the party:

- Lvl 4 Gnome Mage (Int/Cha)

- Lvl 4 Pixie Skald (Int/Cha)

- Lvl 4 Bullywog Monk (Dex/Con)

So a Leader, a Controller and a Striker...yeah the Monk was the Tank because sadly our defender and new player couldn't come because they got sick...on the bright side we do have another new player coming next time.

So we have a defender (he's predictable like that) and 2 unknowns coming next week, which works great because we will have 1 person of each "Role" and the other 2 can just roll with w/e they feel like

Lastly here's some other feats I plan on taking (no paticular oder)

- Improved Defenses
- Improved Initiative
- Orb Expertise
- Superior Implement: Petrified Orb
- Unarmored Agility
- Far Spell
- Distant Advantage
- Linguist
- Toughness
- White Lotus Evasion
- White Lotus Hindrance
- White Lotus Riposte