PDA

View Full Version : Game for Beginners IC

Sir_Chivalry
2012-02-16, 02:00 PM
The sunset brings with it darkness and fear, two things the citizens of Jethia have learned to avoid.

Although it is far from a large town, it is well protected and known. The walls are like those of a much larger settlement, and there is always a watch on the surround.

Jethia lies close to the forest of Yue, and is frequently host to bands of travellers and troupes of entertainers who wish to avoid the heavily taxed roads to the north. Though a trip near Yue is dangerous and adds time to the journey, some would rather chance it than lose what little they've earned on the road.

You reach the town's outer limits just as they are closing the gates, and the guards usher you inside, checking for the necessary papers (write travelling papers on your sheet unless you'd prefer to not possess them) and letting you through into the city if you have them (a night in the jail is the fate of those without, barring any obvious threat)

The markets are closing for the night, and the taverns are beginning to get ready to open.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-02-16, 02:31 PM
Ilthea slunk inside the town walls, only just making it inside the walls in time. She glanced around the town deciding that she best head for an inn to find a bed for the night, and maybe make a little money whilst she was there.

She headed off, following the crowd, looking for a tavern that would be in need of her services.

Tortoise262
2012-02-16, 02:36 PM
"Ah, Jethia. This is where my old protege, Samuel, said he would be when I last heard from him. I hope his trust in Pelor is brighter than when we last parted ways." Osan Emir mused to himself, not sure where to start looking for his former pupil. As Pelor's Blessing began to set on the town, Osan figured he ought to check into the cleanest-looking inn before the rooms filled up. Then, he could began searching for Samuel.

feo2
2012-02-16, 03:10 PM
"Traveling Papers, traveling papers" Feo mumbles to himself as he searches his pack. ”Keep your armor on I got them”. Finally finding them he waives it at them. ”See. Now can I go in?” Not waiting for much of a response except for the OK of the guard he walking into town brooding. ”A lot of help you were bird. You yak for two days straight and the one time you could be useful you shut your beak.” Curvo sits on his shoulder just staring at him. ”Fine you be like that. I’m going to find a tavern.” Feo heads off for a place for a drink and to play cards.

Spacewolf
2012-02-16, 04:20 PM
"Here are my travel papers may you be protected against the dangers night brings." Says Samuel as he brings the papers out of his cloak. He is quickly ushered though the gate.
Hmm at least being an ex-preist has some perks for getting past guards better try and find some where to sleep then i can find out if my information that this town had a problem that i could deal with is correct.

Spacewolf
2012-02-16, 05:35 PM
While booking my room i make a history check on the town
[roll0]

Tortoise262
2012-02-16, 07:48 PM
After the innkeeper hands Osan's key to him over the counter, Osan turns to see the priest checking in. "Samuel, my son! Your last correspondence said you would be here! It's been years since we've met in person, so I've come to see how the light of Pelor has been shining on your life."

Spacewolf
2012-02-16, 07:57 PM
Samuel looks over suprised to see osan here.
Well enough i suppose my friend, there is certainly light though i cannot see the caster. What brings you here anyway?

I hope he is not here with orders to bring me in i would rather not face that judgment quite yet i still have much to do

Wyntonian
2012-02-16, 11:41 PM
Shepherd Abraham Collins is always at peace when he walks. The feeling of the land passing under your feet, of a new horizon shifting, constantly new but rarely utterly alien, of an utterly new land and a new place at the end of each day. Sometimes it was a warm bed (occasionally with another to help him warm it), sometimes it was a cold, wet overhanging rock or the lee of a fallen tree. Meals ranged from a wedding feast (not his own) that one memorable time, to day-old rabbit. But on each day, there was a chance to learn a new song, see a new landscape, help a new traveler or hear a new story.

It was fun.

Shepherd Abe sang a soft hymn as he walked, his boots and staff clunking in a metronomic, hypnotic rhythm.

"The long and winding road
That leads to your door
Will never disappear
I've seen that road before
It always leads me here
Lead me to your door."

He smiles as he reaches the guards at the gate of Jethia. "Hello boys, getting close to dark, isn't it? I don't suppose you could point me towards a decent inn? I'm not picky, but I've got barely any coin at all, and, well," He pulls out the amulet of a winding path around a small globe that he got with his staff, boots and cloak at his ordination as a priest of Fharlaghn. "Some are more welcoming to my sort than others, if y'understand."

At the young men's direction, Abe sets off down the main road and comes to a cozy-looking tavern. He strikes a deal with the proprietor to chop some firewood the next morning in exchange for a meal and a warm corner by the hearth tonight. He props his staff in a corner, takes off his boots and relaxes by the fire, letting his weariness slip away. out of the corner of his eye, two men appeared to be reuniting. Another, a sneaky sort who looked vaguely familiar, was dealing cards. Ahhh... Taverns are the foyer of heaven...

Sir_Chivalry
2012-02-17, 12:27 AM
The Saucy Mare, a lively tavern, is right across the street from the local inn, the Road's Fork.

Inside the Mare, it is very busy, and you wait a good ten minutes before getting a seat.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-02-17, 06:13 AM
Ilthea glided along the streets drawn by the sound of revelry ahead. As she rounded a corner she saw two taverns hunched on either side of the street. The Road's Fork sounded a little quiet, but still this so called Saucy Mare wasn't quite her usual place of choice either. Nevertheless something about tonight drew her to the raucous tavern and she quickly ran through her repertoire of more bawdy songs, silently hoping she wouldn't have to flash too much leg.

feo2
2012-02-17, 10:19 AM
”Come one, Come All, You can stay, as long as you can pay.” Feo said as he deals out the next hand. The night hasn’t been going as great as he would like. He hasn’t lost any money yet, but he hasn’t won any either. Maybe I could bluff some of these guys into folding. He lets slip a little smile as he picks up his card, and quickly put on his poker face again.

I am using bluff to help out my game
[roll0]

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-02-17, 01:29 PM
As she entered Ilthea noted an elf being oddly boisterous and loud, trying to draw attention to his poker game. Surprised at finding one of her own kind here, and not fancying being the source of entertainment for the clientèle here she moved to stand near the table, keeping an eye on his game, but not willing to venture any of her money just yet.

Sorry edit, screwed up rolling :smallfrown:

Rolling for sense motive check- to find out what Feo's character is up to

[roll0]

Sir_Chivalry
2012-02-17, 11:03 PM
Some people eventually get curious and wander over to Feo, taking a seat and anteing up. They play a few hands.

Roll a profession (gambler) check

Tortoise262
2012-02-18, 03:24 PM
Osan replies to Samuel, "I'm only here to see how you are faring, my son." Seeing a nervous look in the cleric's eye, Osan adds, "You can relax. I've no ulterior motive for meeting with you."

Spacewolf
2012-02-18, 06:36 PM
Samuel Grey

Ha what a strange thing to say Osan. I am glad to see you again, do you have any plans for what to do now your here.
Only as i'm sure you remember i received some information that this town was suffering from attacks by a creature. The information was vauge but it was something to go on. Your help could mean the difference between victory and defeat if the beast is real.

feo2
2012-02-18, 06:47 PM
Feo

Seeing as his bluff failed to achieve its intended goal. Looks like I'll need lady luck tonight. He think as he scans the crowd at the taveren.
Pro gamble [roll0]
Spot for any one looking at the game to closely[roll1]

Tortoise262
2012-02-18, 11:11 PM
Osan Emir, Paladin of Pelor

"I am indeed aware of the dangers that threaten this burg, and my aim is to help in any way I can. I am aware... but under-informed. Let us first deposit our things in our rooms. The tavern across the way looks abuzz. Mayhap some local there can fill us in on the happenings of the town."

After dropping off his pack and smoothing the wrinkles out of his bedsheets, Osan returns downstairs. He (and presumably Samuel) walk across the street to the tavern. Most denizens of a raucous place such as The Saucy Mare aren't very warm to paladins, so Osan tries his best to fit in.

I'm not sure exactly what skill check would best fit in here, but I bet it's Charisma-based! [roll0]

A lot seemed to be happening around one table with a roguish-looking sort and a deck of cards. Osan catches a female elf nonchalantly keeping an eye on the game and he accosts her. "Hello, friend! Did you catch the recent dwarf-tossing match?"

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-02-19, 05:01 AM
Ilthea, Elven Bard

The roguish elf had attracted players, but must have had some other intention as he was now scanning the crowd. Ilthea almost ducked her head, but instead continued watching nonchalantly so as not to attract attention.

Suddenly a large figure approached her and incongruously asked her about some trivial social matter. She was almost prepared to brush him off but the sight of him and his companion piqued her interest.

"Ah, sadly no. I have only just arrived in town and am resting here before I set out again. An amusing event I take it?" She asked,, letting her eyes flash derisively (she had as little time for the short fellows as most of her kind).

Spacewolf
2012-02-19, 05:52 AM
Samuel Grey

While Osan was trying to strike up a conversation with an elf Samuel quickly scanned the room, seeing a man in monk robes, he trys to remember what order they belong to and any other details he can think of.

[roll0]
Religion check
[roll1]
Spot check for any possible dangers in the crowd

Tortoise262
2012-02-19, 01:37 PM

"Ah, I missed it myself," Osan admits to the elf. "Actually, I'm just passing through Jethia, as well. When I came to this region, I heard rumors of a monstrous threat near this town. I'm always interested in hearing about such stories, so I was hoping to chat up one of the locals and get more details."

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-02-19, 02:06 PM
Ilthea Aenar, Elf Bard.

Interested in hearing stories about monstrous threats? This one was either brutally bloodthirsty, or woefully ignorant of the world, but from his words and his manner he seemed to be neither. And, perhaps more shockingly in a place like this, he was actually being... honest!

"Are well I must say you re missing a trick talking to me, I'm afraid I cannot appraise you of any gossip as of yet, but if you like, I'll will keep my ears open and pass on whatever information comes my way. Certainly it's something I'd like to know about if there is some mysterious monster." She added the last with a wry grin, then held out her hand, I am Ilthea Aenar, traveller and musician, or whatever the occasion requires." Again adding a grin to belie the arrogance of her words.

Spacewolf
2012-02-19, 02:18 PM
Samuel Grey, Cleric

Finishing surveying the crowd Samuel sees an opportunity to embarrass Osan. Speaking to the elf "Sorry dont think you will be getting much business tonight from him. Paladins are not really noted for their appetites in that department." Breaking into a large grin as he speaks

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-02-19, 02:52 PM
Ilthea Aenar

She withdrew her hand as if stung, her eyes flashing dangerously at the oafish human who accompanied the stranger.

"Keep your tongue to your self fool, unless you would like me to come up with a better use for it. Such as feeding pigs."

Spacewolf
2012-02-19, 03:05 PM
Samuel Grey

You should learn to keep calm if you want to be a bard in a human town you will be getting worse, every night you play and losing your temper is rarely useful. I believe introductions are in order at the least I am Samuel Grey and this is Osan Emir, you are?

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-02-19, 03:09 PM
"I thought your kind believed elves were fickle, I had not known that humans too could change like the wind."

"I extend my greetings to you Osan Emir, and I hope that in future you keep your 'companion' on a short leash. Perhaps he should learn that insulting those who offer their help is rarely useful"

With that she once more extended her hand to Osan Emir, giving Samuel a level look.

Spacewolf
2012-02-19, 03:21 PM
Samuel Grey

I often find you can find out more about how a person behaves with a simple insult that an hour of talking and as you seemed interested in the monster I wanted to know how confident you are in your abilities. Apparently extremely so and not being from this town you may even be justified as I assume your travels haven’t been entirely without incident.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-02-19, 03:30 PM
"Oh, this one is clever! Osan Emir, he surprises me, where did you find him?"

"It is rare for one such as you to be so, 'open minded'. A good trick, to judge another's level of confidence, and you must know, confidence is everything."

"You make one other correct assumption Samuel Grey. I have learnt to handle myself. It seems you are quite fixated on this mysterious monster. Tell me, what is it that you know?"

Spacewolf
2012-02-19, 03:41 PM
Samuel Grey

Thank you and i do hope you do not take it personally there are other ways but this seemed the most expedient. As for the monster to be perfectly honest very little only that the people of the village seems very on edge hence the town guard trying to get everyone in before night. I am going to try talking to the Bartender hopefully he has heard something.

Disengaging from Osan and the elf. Samuel makes his way through the crowd until he makes his way to the bar, catching the barmans eye he flags him over and says “I have a silver piece here for a drink and any information you can give me on this monster that has been terrorising your town”

Wyntonian
2012-02-19, 04:47 PM
Shepherd Abe

Abe opens one eye and watches the two humans and the elf snipe at each other. That, too, is a frequent sight in a tavern, and he's somewhat of a connoisseur of those, so a good claws-sheathed growling match is like part of the place setting. He perks up at the mention of a monster, and wanders over towards the barkeep, deliberately close to the trio of people he was listening to a moment ago. A tad louder than truly nessecary, he asks, "D'you know what this monster folks have been talking about is? What's the story? I'm from out of town, and I don't know the local news."

Tortoise262
2012-02-19, 05:41 PM

"I apologize for my pupil, Miss Aenar. He is... not himself. I also apologize if I was not direct with who I am and what my purpose was. Minstrels of your type are normally quite good at gathering information, so I would thank you to find me with any clues about the monster that you may uncover."

With a bow, Osan departs from Ilthea Aenar and finds Samuel to scold him for his rude behavior.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-02-19, 05:55 PM
Ilthea Aenar

After finishing their exchange and watching the two men depart, Ilthea considered her next move. There was certainly something afoot, and if that human Samuel Grey had heard them then they must not be buried very deeply. The elf who had originally drawn her attention was still of interest, but she doubted another out-of-towner would yield much, and the bar was now swarming with men, including Osan Emir and Samuel Grey.

Bearing this in mind she looked instead for some of the more reserved characters in the bar, those who were drinking alone, in the hope that there silent observations would supply her with the information she desired.

Not sure which to apply, so I'll do all of them.

Spot check: [roll0]
Listen Check:[roll1]
Gather info check: [roll2]

feo2
2012-02-19, 07:02 PM
Feo

Even with the noise of the card game Feo could help overing hearing at least part of the squabble between the elf and humans. Monsters. So that's why the guards were so tense. I'd better get some information about goings on here. Better to be prepared than caught flatfooted. And here I was hoping for a quite evening. He starts dealing out another hand. "I've been hearing some talk of trouble in these parts is there anything that a traveler like me should be worried about?"
Gather information[roll0]
I can't mythic seems down will update when can get access

Sir_Chivalry
2012-02-19, 08:24 PM
Samuel Grey

Thank you and i do hope you do not take it personally there are other ways but this seemed the most expedient. As for the monster to be perfectly honest very little only that the people of the village seems very on edge hence the town guard trying to get everyone in before night. I am going to try talking to the Bartender hopefully he has heard something.

Disengaging from Osan and the elf. Samuel makes his way through the crowd until he makes his way to the bar, catching the barmans eye he flags him over and says “I have a silver piece here for a drink and any information you can give me on this monster that has been terrorising your town”

The barman strides over, his large frame shifting the air and causing the floor to creak. He listens for a second and then grabs the silver coin, placing it in a jar beneath the bar. He fills five halfpints and places them on a tray, motioning for you to follow. He takes the tray over to a table with two broad and hairy men, one a half-orc, as well as an elven woman and a halfling.

"This kindly young man who was providing that entertaining argument would like to offer some of the house ale in exchange for information on our latest monster problem."

The four grunt approval and partake of the ale. The elven woman turns to you.

"What can we do for you?"

Shepherd Abe

Abe opens one eye and watches the two humans and the elf snipe at each other. That, too, is a frequent sight in a tavern, and he's somewhat of a connoisseur of those, so a good claws-sheathed growling match is like part of the place setting. He perks up at the mention of a monster, and wanders over towards the barkeep, deliberately close to the trio of people he was listening to a moment ago. A tad louder than truly nessecary, he asks, "D'you know what this monster folks have been talking about is? What's the story? I'm from out of town, and I don't know the local news."

The barkeep returns from serving drinks.

"Oh, it's the world's oldest story. Danger outside the town, no one goes out, trade suffers, etc., can I get you anything?"

Ilthea Aenar

After finishing their exchange and watching the two men depart, Ilthea considered her next move. There was certainly something afoot, and if that human Samuel Grey had heard them then they must not be buried very deeply. The elf who had originally drawn her attention was still of interest, but she doubted another out-of-towner would yield much, and the bar was now swarming with men, including Osan Emir and Samuel Grey.

Bearing this in mind she looked instead for some of the more reserved characters in the bar, those who were drinking alone, in the hope that there silent observations would supply her with the information she desired.

Not sure which to apply, so I'll do all of them.

Spot check: [roll0]
Listen Check:[roll1]
Gather info check: [roll2]

Just as you find some people who seem likely candidates, you hear a snap of someone's fingers. You turn to see a man sitting by himself in the darkest corner, a cowl pulled over his head. When you approach, you see he is wearing a silver mask and seems to be playing with a long knife. He motions you over with the knife and asks you to sit down.

"I was wondering, you seem to be quite inquisitive. You probably looking for something to do right? Well I've got something. There's a monster in the woods, and I've need of something someone had who went before, if you follow. A wooden box in a backpack, and I'm willing to offer . . ."

He pulls out a pouch full of something jangly

"whatever the named price if to you and whatever group you have, within reason."

Feo

Even with the noise of the card game Feo could help overing hearing at least part of the squabble between the elf and humans. Monsters. So that's why the guards were so tense. I'd better get some information about goings on here. Better to be prepared than caught flatfooted. And here I was hoping for a quite evening. He starts dealing out another hand. "I've been hearing some talk of trouble in these parts is there anything that a traveler like me should be worried about?"
Gather information[roll0]
I can't mythic seems down will update when can get access

Feo has made sixteen coppers in takings after the previous hand. No one meets his gaze when he asks. It seems he's touched a nerve.

"Just deal."

Wyntonian
2012-02-19, 10:48 PM
Abe nods politely to the barkeep. "In a bit, sure. A minute, though." He then strides purposefully across the room, and claps the gentleman playing cards on the shoulder.

"Feo? By the Traveler, man, you've not changed a bit! What the hell are you doing here? Still losing your money to strangers, I see". The priest beams as he speaks, glad to see an old... well... acquaintance, although a couple of blurry memories he'd rather forget start to boil up. A cold alley, a broken bottle, warmth spreading over his hands... He blinks, hard, and forces his attention back to his old drinking and gambling buddy.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-02-20, 03:10 AM
Ilthea Aenar

Ilthea approached the shadowy figure cautiously.

"I had heard there was a monster, but I will need a little more information than that before I even consider the offer."

Ilthea leans back and starts listing on her fingers.

"I need the exact location of this item. It's size, weight etc Any particular measures I will need to take to transport it. Who the previous owner was, why they can't bring it back, what the monster is, where it lives, why it has not been dealt with yet, and how much pay will I get in advance?"

"You are not paying for the services of a novice, so I suggest we talk seriously." She lets a small grin interrupt her face, hopefully taking some of the threat from her words, some but not all.

Sense Motive: [roll0]

Spacewolf
2012-02-20, 07:23 AM
Samuel Grey

The barman seems to think you five know something of this monster, i was wondering what information you could give me on it. Is it one monster or a pack, large or small, you know anything that could help me and my friend here deal with it.

Also looking at you you seem to be quite a varied and well armed group and I was thinking that perhaps you had fought it before. Perhaps while traveling though the forest?

feo2
2012-02-21, 10:32 AM
Feo

"Abe!" Feo gets up and gives Abe a hug. " I seem to remember losing a silver piece or two to you." He turns to the others at the table. "Sorry fellas me and my friend here have some catching up to do." He turns to a nearby waitress and hands of some money. "A round of ale for me my friend here and the guys at the table" He turn to Abe "Let’s go to the bar so we can talk more privately as we wait for our drinks."

Tortoise262
2012-02-21, 04:28 PM

Osan stomps up to Samuel's table. Ignoring the other patrons, he begins to rebuke Samuel. Most of what he says can't be heard above the rabble, but it's typical paladin rhetoric finally ending with, "...remember that you represent your deity and everything you say to an agnostic, favorable or not, reflects the nature of our god."

Spacewolf
2012-02-21, 07:36 PM
Samuel Grey

Quickly talking to the patrons he was introduced to "Sorry my friend here wishes to discuss tactics, do you mind if i quickly talk to them."

Taking Osan to aside Samuel gets an annoyed glint in his eye and whispers to "Osan what could tell her I was a servant of Pelor all she saw was an old man in a hood with a weapon not particularly unusual. As for the insult towards the elf it was obvious that she was not local. Therefore she was placed in our path for some reason good or evil I do not know but either way she was more likely to show some measure of competence reacting to an insult than she was mindless chatter now we know she could be helpful in this case and everybody in the tavern knows this due to the loudness of our conversation making her more likely to be approached by someone who has information. If we want to prevent any more deaths or injuries due to this monster then we must move quickly as it seems to strike at night, and I don’t particularly care If I represent Pelor poorly as long as I can save the people who are in danger then I am sure any deity worthy of worship shall forgive me. If not and Pelor demands I sell these people into the night like my family was then he will of permanently lost my faith.

Turning back to the gathered five patrons in front of him and Quickly changing back to a confident grin he says “My ally here also asked if you could tell us what tactics you employed against this beast and what seemed to work so as we can best combat this monster."

Sir_Chivalry
2012-02-21, 11:08 PM
Ilthea Aenar

Ilthea approached the shadowy figure cautiously.

"I had heard there was a monster, but I will need a little more information than that before I even consider the offer."

Ilthea leans back and starts listing on her fingers.

"I need the exact location of this item. It's size, weight etc Any particular measures I will need to take to transport it. Who the previous owner was, why they can't bring it back, what the monster is, where it lives, why it has not been dealt with yet, and how much pay will I get in advance?"

"You are not paying for the services of a novice, so I suggest we talk seriously." She lets a small grin interrupt her face, hopefully taking some of the threat from her words, some but not all.

You fail to pick up anything, his mask hiding his face and his motions controlled and measured.

"Some of these things I do not know, otherwise I would have it. It is six inches by four by three, and weighs about five pounds. It's a box, there is nothing specifically volatile within it. It has a silver rose embossed on the lid. The previous owner was a cleric of Hextor, recognizable by his clean shaven face, bowl hair cut and scale mail. You get finder's rights (NOTE: Finder's rights, in relation to adventurers, are a commonly agreed to term, which is that you get everything else you find besides specifically specifed items) which shall be satisfactory, plus the agreed upon price which I remind you has not left your lips as of yet and the invisible ceiling shrinks with each attempt to annoy me."

Samuel Grey

The barman seems to think you five know something of this monster, i was wondering what information you could give me on it. Is it one monster or a pack, large or small, you know anything that could help me and my friend here deal with it.

Also looking at you you seem to be quite a varied and well armed group and I was thinking that perhaps you had fought it before. Perhaps while traveling though the forest?

The elf looks you in the eyes.

"We did encounter the beast, tall and mighty though he was. For much time did we fight him, but to no avail, and we were driven back to lose our treasure most dear, the rare wood taken from the heart of the forest used to enchant certain potions. It was, most assuredly, a beast of the kin of dragon."

The halfling pipes up.

"Yep, dragon alright *tic*, and one we are lucky to have escaped my boon *tic* companion must realize, for that was a green dragon, a scourge upon forests *tic* and an eater of elves and fey!"

Wyntonian
2012-02-22, 02:19 AM
Abe

Abe weaves over to the bar with Feo and thanks him for the drink. "So, how've you been? I haven't seen you since... Well. That night I decided to leave. How'd you end up out here, what are you doing for work and such? I've got some stories to tell myself, but you go first." He relaxes comfortably in a chair, though his eyes are tense with bad memories.

Spacewolf
2012-02-22, 04:39 AM
Samuel Grey

“A dragon?” Samuel asks surprised “I presume it was only young considering this town still stands and has not been reduced to ash. As for this wood where did you acquire it and where did you lose your piece since it seems we will be in the area shortly. So retrieving it should be relatively simple compared to fighting a dragon. At least if it is distinguishable from the regular wood on the forest floor. If you do not mind me asking which potions would this wood enhance?”
A green dragon attacking people who where taking wood from the forest i wonder if they are telling me the whole story?

I think a sense motive roll is in order to see if they are lying or hiding something
[roll0]

feo2
2012-02-22, 02:26 PM
Feo

”Honestly I was just passing through just looking for a safe place to hold up for the night and possible a job to make some money. But it appears that a monster is around. Those two,” nodding at Samuel Grey and Osan Emir. ”and her,”nodding toward Ilthea. ”look to be getting more information than I could. And judging by the town it’s more than we can handle alone. And I don’t like going in blind anyway. I figure that if we go in now it’ll ruin any chance of getting information. So who do you want to question? I prefer the girl those law types get me on edge. Or do you prefer to be the lady’s man. Or do you want to settle this with rock, parchment, scissor?”

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-02-22, 06:12 PM
Ilthea Aenar

"Well then, I accept your commission, but it will come at a price. There are plenty of unknown factors involved, and I'm going to need a team. Factoring in these increased costs and the nature of the task itself, I will require a payment of 1,000gp (or equivalent) up front, with another 3,000gp paid on delivery of the box. This is my price."

Charisma check for him to like Ilthea/accept her proposition?
[roll0]

Sir_Chivalry
2012-02-22, 09:04 PM
Ilthea Aenar

"Well then, I accept your commission, but it will come at a price. There are plenty of unknown factors involved, and I'm going to need a team. Factoring in these increased costs and the nature of the task itself, I will require a payment of 1,000gp (or equivalent) up front, with another 3,000gp paid on delivery of the box. This is my price."

Charisma check for him to like Ilthea/accept her proposition?
[roll0]

"Ha, I like your moxie. No payment up front, and 3,500gp on delivery."

Wyntonian
2012-02-22, 11:33 PM
Abe

Abe pulls his head back, surprised. "You still my Feo? A monster of some sort's hanging around and you've decided to tackle it? Traveler watch this, he's got respectable! Guess I'm not the only one, eh? I'll talk to the lawmen. They look like Pelorians, fellow men of the cloth. Well. Armor. You know what I mean. I'll go have a couple words."

With that, Shepherd Abraham plucks the amulet out from under his shirt, picks up his cloak so that the distinctive hem is visible and snatches up his staff. He weaves across the room to the two cleric-types. "Hello there! I'm Abraham Collins, ordained Shepherd of Fharlaghn. A friend told me you two were interested in taking on a monster of some sort?" He attempts a grave, man-of-god demeanor. Important to keep up appearances with Pelorians.

Tortoise262
2012-02-23, 01:51 AM
Osan Emir

"Indeed, my ascetic friend. Archbishop Bevalcqua sent us this way to help the Jethians with their current... predicament. We would appreciate you lending us any knowledge, and would be greatly indebted if you could lend us your fists, as well."

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-02-23, 06:06 AM
"500 now, 3000 on delivery. Final offer. I need to know you're serious, and that you won't just run off whilst we're out doing you're work. Think of it as a deposit against future gain, for both of us."

Ilthea holds out her hand, as though the conversation has been concluded.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-02-23, 10:29 AM
"500 now, 3000 on delivery. Final offer. I need to know you're serious, and that you won't just run off whilst we're out doing you're work. Think of it as a deposit against future gain, for both of us."

Ilthea holds out her hand, as though the conversation has been concluded.

"500 now, 2750 later, or nothing now, 3500 later. Think of it as a tax for money up front."

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-02-23, 10:42 AM
Ilthea Aenar

"A convincing analogy. I will take 3,500gp then, when I return."

Ilthea holds out her hand. "Do we have ourselves a deal?"

Sir_Chivalry
2012-02-23, 10:45 AM
Ilthea Aenar

"A convincing analogy. I will take 3,500gp then, when I return."

Ilthea holds out her hand. "Do we have ourselves a deal?"

The hooded figure looks down at your hand and then looks down at his belt, pulling out a silver dagger. He places it into your hand and then looks out the window.

"Get out of my sight. Don't come back unless you have the box."

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-02-23, 11:13 AM
Ilthea Aenar

Secretly afraid, but not about to show it, Ilthea takes the knife and stands, arching her eyebrow and giving the man a disdainful look, before turning on her heel.

She glances down at the dagger she has been given and wondering what she was given it.

Appraise check? untrained? [roll0]
Or knowledge arcana? [roll1]

Not really sure if either should apply, so posting just in case. :smallsmile:

She began to head over to Osan Emir and Samuel Grey, sheathing the dagger in her belt as she did, but saw they were already conversing with another man. She wasn't sure who he was, but she certainly couldn't afford to ask Osan Emir to go somewhere separately with her, not after Samuel Grey's remark earlier!

She approached the trio in time for her to catch Osan Emir still talking about that monster. These religious types! Did they think of nothing else! Well now she had a direction to funnel that holy fervour, so maybe it wasn't so bad.

"Greetings again, Osan Emir, Samuel Grey. I have important business to discuss, concerning our earlier conversation..." She let the sentence hang. On second thoughts, this friend of theirs seemed to be another whom she could recruit, and although he seemed laid back now, she sensed he would be able to handle himself in a fight, should it come to it.

Spacewolf
2012-02-23, 11:25 AM
Samuel Grey

Hello again i presume that you where successful with your questions. We seem to have found another possible member, Abraham Collins here a monk of Fharlaghn. As for this beast we have received information that it is a dragon. Possibly a juvenile, there also seems to be a tree if some interesting properties with regards to potions but the people who told us would say no more than that. Did you get any other information that could be useful?

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-02-23, 11:55 AM
So Samuel Grey thought this man a worthy companion. But that was irrelevant, she would await Osan Emir's judgement before agreeing to let some stranger take a quarter of the glory (and the gold).

Tortoise262
2012-02-23, 01:59 PM
Osan Emir

"Indeed, my ascetic friend. Archbishop Bevalcqua sent us this way to help the Jethians with their current... predicament. We would appreciate you lending us any knowledge, and would be greatly indebted if you could lend us your fists, as well."

Osan Emir

Osan, a man of swift action, assumes the monk's consent and announces, "We have all the information we need, then? As soon as the four of us are ready to depart, we should head toward the forest and try to find evidence of the monster's direction."

Wyntonian
2012-02-23, 08:42 PM
Abraham

Sheperd Abraham smiles and nods. "I believe I will help you in this. The people of this town have been eminently welcoming, and I can hold my own in a fight. Do you know what we'll be pursuing? Also, do you know where we can find weapons and gear? I'm but lightly armed for this sort of thing."

Tortoise262
2012-02-23, 09:30 PM
Osan Emir

Osan answers the monk, "I believe that my colleague is better-prepared to describe the nature of the beast. Samuel?"

Spacewolf
2012-02-24, 08:09 AM
Samuel Grey

"To be honest i am not sure how far we should trust the information given to us by the traders, one described it as similar to a green dragon, but another drunker one said it was definitely a dragon. They where also trying to take some sort of wood than enhances potions out of the forest when attacked. I expect not everything is as clear cut as they expect us to think. Prehaps the elf had more luck procuring solid information?"

"As for a shopping trip i doubt there will be many blacksmiths open at this time of night"

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-02-24, 10:53 AM
Ilthea Aenar

"This monster ought to be our main concern, however there are other parties involved here. I was approached by a man who gave me this dagger and informed me that there are clerics of Hextor involved, one of whom is dead."

"I had heard nothing of a dragon, nor this 'wood', but it doesn't surprise me. I don't think we know half of what is going on here. Nevertheless, we ought to at least try to deal with this monster, and then we can work out what sort of evil has taken over this place."

After she said this she turned to their new companion, introducing herself: "I am Ilthea Aenar, and if these two judge you worthy to join us then that is enough for me."

"Osan Emir, I would like your help on another problem that has arisen, if you would care to join me? There will be no need for us to go to another room though." She punctuated this last comment with a pointed look directed at Samuel Grey.

Spacewolf
2012-02-24, 11:34 AM
Samuel Grey

"You don't need to keep setting up jokes for me you know Aenar, and we shall still be here when you return but if we are not leaving tonight knowing sooner rather than later would be good as i would like to use up the spells granted to me, there are surely people who will be pleased to be healed in this town and may give us information in return.

However i believe moving quickly will give us the greatest chance of finding the beast quickly."

Thinking to himself. That knife was silver from the look of it i wonder if that is important

[roll0]
Knowledge religion check for undead harmed by silver that fit with the other clues
[roll1]
Knowledge nature check for the same

Tortoise262
2012-02-24, 02:40 PM
Osan Emir

Hextor's involvement had not occurred to him until then, so Osan closes his eyes in thought for a moment*. "Hmm... We should not underestimate the evil influence of Hextor on the world, nor ought we overlook the strength and number of his followers, especially in a foreign region." Osan's eyes open and catch Ilthea's. "What is the matter?"

*Detect Evil. Just to see if there are any significant evil auras in the area, more than I would expect to feel in a tavern on a busy night. (Clerics of evil deities emit stronger evil auras (http://dnd.roles.es/spellsDtoE.html#detect-evil) than normal evil people do.)

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-02-24, 04:53 PM
Ilthea Aenar

"I would like you to examine this dagger." Ilthea said, as she guided Osan away. "The man who approached me attempted to solicit my aid in retrieving an object carried by the aforementioned cleric of Hextor. It is a box, but seems to have no link with this monster, or this 'wood' that Samuel Grey speaks of, though the cleric must have died of something. We must tread carefully, and certainly find that box, because it is either valuable or powerful, and I would like neither of those things in the hands of that 'man'."

"I would also like some of this kept between us, it is unnecessary to involve all these people to a greater extent than hired muscle. Their goal is to protect the people from this monster and we shall do so, but it requires greater finesse to take part in the battle that will come after, and another person who knows is just another tongue that could tell."

Tortoise262
2012-02-24, 07:12 PM
Osan Emir

Osan assents to the discretion, and accepts the dagger. Holding it in two upward palms, Osan inquires of the elf, "It is a dagger. What about it should I be examining?"

Sense Motive on Ilthea: [roll0]
Spot on the dagger: [roll1]
Detect evil focused on the dagger

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-02-25, 03:51 AM
Ilthea Aenar.

"I am just simply not in the habit of taking daggers given to me my masked men in bars I have never visited before. Due to the circumstances, I'm rightly suspicious, and Osan Emir, I was hoping you might have some knowledge in these things, if it is indeed magical or cursed."

Sir_Chivalry
2012-02-25, 12:05 PM
Ilthea
It is a dagger made of silver, worth 22gp for it's craftsmanship. It holds no obvious secrets or arcane riddles.
Samuel
Undead harmed by silver are many, the most common being vampires, though you remember some shadowy undead of great power does too.
Osan
The dagger detects a dim aura of evil, and a few people, including one of the men sitting at the table with the halfling and elf, register as mildly evil.

Tortoise262
2012-02-25, 02:31 PM
Osan Emir

"I do sense a very dim evil about the dagger. I would say there are no evil incantations or curses cast upon it, but probably an evil person has handled it recently." Osan returns the dagger to Ilthea. "Come, then. If there's nothing else, we should make haste!"

If Feo is coming, he'd better get up or someone ought to introduce him to us.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-02-25, 02:43 PM
Ilthea Aenar

Well that was reassuring, and not too surprising that the man who handled it had been of evil intent. I'm definitely going to find out what that box is before I even think about handing it over. After all, he never shook her hand, only gave her a dagger and sent her on her way, so really, there was no deal.

"We should wait till morning before venturing out, and if your companion needs to prepare himself, then he has a few hours before we will need to head out."

Wyntonian
2012-02-25, 03:31 PM
Shepherd Abe

Abe nods in agreement. "I'm usually all for travel, but I'd like to spend the night and head out tomorrow. Also, there's a person who might be willing to join us. Another hand would be useful, no?" He waves Feo over. "This is Feo, I've known him for a couple years and just saw him for the first time in a year or so tonight. He was the one who sent me over to you folks."

Spacewolf
2012-02-25, 03:39 PM
Samuel Grey

"Well then im going to whatever passes for a hospital in this town for an hour then i will recharge my spells for an hour so i will be back here in two hours or so, unless i get held up."

Samuel leaves the tavern and looks for a hospital, upon finding one he converts all his spells into healing spells for the worst injured. then gets to work with regular healing on anyone needing it.
Hopefully i can get some information maybe someone in here has encountered the beast, who knows maybe they will give me some supplies if i manage to save them

4*Cure light wounds for (1 bonus, 1 domain)
[roll0]
ignore cumulative couldnt think of any other way to do it
3*Cure minor wounds for 1 hp each
Heal check for anyone left
[roll1]

After an hour Samuel excuses himself and goes to the inn to recoup his spells in anticipation for the battle that was to come. Then sleeps until just before he was due to meet with the others

feo2
2012-02-27, 11:19 AM
Feo
Feo looked up at the spot where the lady elf had been talking. He quickly scans the tavern for her and spots her talking with Abe’s group. Dang, I missed my chance to talk to her alone. Well at least she didn’t leave the tavern yet. He wasn’t about to walk up on an unknown paladin just yet. It not that he didn’t trust them, they were lawful good who didn’t trust them. It was most paladins and town officers scrutinized him, and if anything went wrong the blame always fell on him. He sat and watched the group talk until Abe waved him over. ”Good evening lady and gentlemen. As Abe has no doubt told you my name is Feo. I overheard you talking about a monster plaguing this town. As my usual form of getting information has failed, I have no information to bring. But I would be willing to offer my services where you would have them.”

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-02-27, 12:19 PM
Ilthea Aenar

Ah, that gambling elf,Ilthea mused,I wondered when he'd get involved.

"We've decided, foolishly perhaps, to find and deal with this beast. But not tonight. Tomorrow morning we'll gather, at let us say, two hours after sunrise at the gate[Not sure if I need to specify]and we will depart. Prepare yourself for then, and Samuel Grey can update you on the few rumours we've heard of the beast. I'm afraid we have had only a little more luck than you. One piece of advice though; be careful, we have surmised that this isn't all that it seems, so watch yourself, if you plan on joining us it might not be entirely plain sailing."

It seemed odd that the gambling, roguish elf had suddenly become so formal, but Ilthea was glad he was showing the correct level of dignity for one of her race.

Tortoise262
2012-02-27, 02:17 PM
Osan Emir

Osan lets out a long sigh. "Well, we could use all the help we can get. I suppose we can trust you if one so disciplined as the Shepherd vouches for you. On top of which, since you left your game, I assume you weren't winning. And if you weren't winning, I assume you're not a cheater." The ironclad clergyman motions toward the exit. "I won't tarry here any longer, and I'll urge you other non-elves to get to sleep soon." Osan Emir walks to the door to go back to the inn and turn in for the night.

feo2
2012-02-28, 05:32 PM
Feo

Watching the paladin walking away he turns to and whispers to Abe. "I believe that I owe you a tale before when turn in tonight. And just so we’re clear I don’t care about monsters attacking the town. It’s just I would rather take my winning and be prepared to fight a know opponent, than win 50 gold and lose it to an unknown one. I’ve lost too many winnings because I’ve been caught unprepared." He sits at the table and starts spewing a tail of his adventure on the road here.

Wyntonian
2012-02-28, 11:43 PM
Shepherd Abe

Abe waits and listens attentively to Feo's story. "I suppose I've got one of my own, but it can wait. I suppose it's pretty obvious how it ended, with me as a Shepherd. Tomorrow? I presume we'll have time enough for it on the road. In the meantime, I have some chores to do to earn my bed. Good night!" With that, Abe leaves to go do the duties he promised the inn and tavern-keepers.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-02-29, 03:03 AM
Ilthea Aenar

Ilthea watches the others depart, then pausing only to bid a short farewell to Feo, talks to the innkeeper to find a room for her to meditate in.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-01, 03:20 PM
Assuming everyone retires for the night, you all sleep well and wake up in the morning. With the rising sun, the gates to the town are thrown open, and a bustling business is seen to.

Spacewolf
2012-03-01, 04:05 PM
Samuel Grey

Waiting outside the Tavern Samuel muses to himself "At least my trip here has gone well so far: some information, likely futher jobs and a hospital full of people alread healed. Now where are the others, the longer we wait the less chance of being able to track the beast"

While thinking to himself he also keeps his eyes and ears open for anything suspicious

[roll0]
Spot check
To try and read the lips of any nearby guards who are talking at this time
[roll1]
listen check

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-01, 04:12 PM
Ilthea Aenar

Ilthea left the inn and storde out onto the street, pulling her cloak around her to ward off the crisp morning air. As she approached the gate she noticed Samuel Grey standing there already

Why did it have to be him? She wondered, but putting on a smile she hailed the cleric as she approached.

"Greetings, friend. It looks like we're first. I hope we won't have to wait long. Do you have any idea how far we'll be travelling today?"

Spacewolf
2012-03-01, 04:21 PM
Samuel Grey

Returning Iltheas greeting "No unfortunately my attempts at finding information in the hospital were fruitless apparently there were no injuries caused by the beast, I guess we shall have to travel into the forest and try to find tracks considering that we expect it to be fairly large the tracks should be easy to tell apart from and standard tracks that we encounter."

feo2
2012-03-01, 04:51 PM
Feo
The light of the sun hit Feo’s face and snapped him out of trance. Morning already? He looked around the small room that he had rented out. Another great day in the life of an adventure. And today a new experience, traveling with a paladin. Better stay on my toes. He walks around the room to stretch out. ”Come on Curvo time to go” he grabs his things and heads out the door.

“Hey pointy ears the gate the other way”

”Ah Curvo I would be lost without you”

“Well you seem to find pubs with no problems”

”An Elf’s got to eat don’t he.”

“With the food you got last night and what’s in your pack you’ll be fine.”

Feo grumbles at the birds comment, turns and sets of to the gate he would meet every one at. As he gets close to the gate he sees Ilthea. Walking past her he whispers ”I’ll be back in a minute. Try not to get me any more noticed than is necessary.” He shifts he step as he’s walking and tries to blend with the crowd. Getting close enough to the guards that he can hear but far enough not to draw attention to himself.
I’m trying to see if I can learn anything from the guards
Move Silently [roll0]
hide[roll1]
listen[roll2]

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-01, 05:07 PM
Ilthea Aenar

Ilthea was startled by the sneaky elf's approach, but as he passed on she forgot about what Samuel Grey had said and instead concocted a plan of her own. She rarely worked with others, but if that elf seemed to have a plan and she knew they needed more information.

She centred her mind (made easier by the nights meditations) and looked inside herself for the music.

She started to sing in her melodious, lilting voice:

"O'er the gold rimmed hills of Tarnair,
Climbed fair Tulien, Daughter of Ilda...."

It lost something in translation, but this human tongue still gave a fair accounting of it she thought, as she continued to sing the haunting epic.

It's a distraction...

Skill check: Perform (sing) [roll0]

Tortoise262
2012-03-01, 05:10 PM
Osam Emir

As Osan finishes his morning prayers, he makes the Sign of the Sun by touching his forehead with two fingers and drawing a circle connecting to his heart. Getting up from his knees, he walks to the inn's lobby and takes a light breakfast to go. Osan goes straight to the city gate to meet his party.

"Sorry if I'm a little late," the paladin says, "I was finishing my morning prayers." He looks at Samuel with a countenance that he hoped would come off as concerned but may have seemed just a tad condescending.

feo2
2012-03-01, 05:15 PM
i guess i should do a spot check as well
[roll0]

Spacewolf
2012-03-01, 05:18 PM
Samuel Grey

Turning to Osan
"Good to hear, I'm not sure what Ilthea Aenar is doing apparently she knows the elf over there thats trying to sneak up to the guards. Did you meet him after i left last night?"

Tortoise262
2012-03-01, 05:26 PM
Osan Emir

"Yes in fact," Osan replies to the priest, "the elf introduced himself just after you left for the hospital. His name is Feo, and I am praying that his shadowy reputation will not be more liability than it's worth. However, the monk put in a good word for him. Speaking of Shepherd Collins..."

Wyntonian
2012-03-01, 11:15 PM
Shepherd Abraham

Abe bounds towards the group. "I'm here, I just needed to chop some firewood to pay for last night's meal. Now, is there a pack beast we could use? Or any of the general traveling gear, like rope, provisions, that sort of thing? I have my weapons and some sundries, but nothing beyond stuff to make camp. Do we need anything more heavy-duty?"

Spacewolf
2012-03-02, 03:53 AM
Samuel Grey

"I doubt we will be traveling far enough out of town to need provisions. As for a pack beast not unless you happen to have one."

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-06, 10:08 PM
The sun peaks over the trees, and the marketplace bustles with activity.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-07, 05:29 PM
Ilthea Aenar

Noting that her singing isn't quite up to her usual standard she ceases, muttering that these humans wouldn't appreciate true talent.

She turns to the others and asks: "So shall we depart? We are after all all assembled, and we don't want to waste precious daylight."

Spacewolf
2012-03-07, 06:20 PM
Samuel Grey

"I guess we may as well it seems unlikely we will be getting anymore information here"

Assuming we go to the forest now ill take some rolls to see what i can see

Survival check for tracking
[roll0]

Spot check for anything unusual
[roll1]

feo2
2012-03-07, 06:20 PM
Feo

Not learning anything, he mutters to himself and heads over to the rest of the group. “Sorry I didn’t hear anything from the guards. Guess I was too far away, but I didn’t want to get any closer. Osan maybe you could talk to them. You would probably get more from them than I could by just asking them.” Turning to Ilthea, “You sign beautify. You will have to sign that song again I wasn’t able to listen to most of it. I was to busy trying to over hear what the guards were saying.” He turns and sees Samuel “Hello sorry about ignoring you earlier I was in my own world my name is Feo.”
He stretches out his hand.

Spacewolf
2012-03-07, 06:31 PM
Samuel Grey

Nice to meet you, my name is Samuel Grey, Cleric of Pelor.
Now where all introduced, i guess we shall be heading off shortly

Rolls are in post at top of page

feo2
2012-03-08, 09:10 AM
Feo

"I'm as ready as I will be"

Tortoise262
2012-03-08, 11:54 AM
Osan Emir

In response, the paladin simply gazes beyond the gates of Jethia.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-14, 10:47 PM
Assuming you all head off.

You reach the woods with little travelling time needed, and get into them. The woods contain normals sounds, birds chirping, squirrels rustling, etc.

feo2
2012-03-15, 08:48 AM
Feo
Feo heads into the woods and starts looking around. “You know this might be easier if you tell me what we’re looking for.” He calls back to the group.
Search [roll0]
Spot [roll1]
Listen [roll2]
Track [roll3] i'm assuming it's survival
go ahead and laugh a rogue with no survival training

Spacewolf
2012-03-15, 09:33 AM
Samuel Grey

"We're not really sure dragon tracks might be a good place to start though"

Spot
[roll0]
Search
[roll1]
Survival for tracking
[roll2]

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-15, 10:33 AM
Ilthea Aenar

"Be on your guard for anything out of the ordinary."

Listen: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]
Search: [roll2]
Survival: [roll3]

Ilthea loads and carries her crossbow.

Tortoise262
2012-03-15, 02:28 PM
Osan Emir

Osan compulsively checks his shield to make sure it's strapped tightly, anxious that something "out of the ordinary" could jump out at the party at any moment.

I won't laugh. Most rogues don't have survival training. That's more for nomadic or outdoorsy types, and rogues usually fit in better with a local society (which is why Survival isn't a class skill for rogues).

Incidentally, there's not much point in rolling to follow tracks without the Track (http://dnd.roles.es/featsAll.html#track) feat. You can't succeed if the DC is higher than 10, in which case you could generally take a 10 on the check anyway. Though reading more closely... you can still find tracks with a higher DC, but you can't follow them. In that case, you're as well off rolling a Search check instead of Survival. (see the link for more details)

feo2
2012-03-15, 03:59 PM
Feo

Dragons?! What in the world have I gotten myself into? Feo draws his daggers and continues to search around.

Tortoise262
2012-03-15, 05:05 PM
Osan Emir

Just in case... Osan mentally scans the area as the group walks around the forest. Hopefully, if the beast is evil, Osan can provide some early warning if it gets near.

Detect Evil (http://dnd.roles.es/spellsDtoE.html#detect-evil) has a range of 60 ft. Osan can maintain concentration on Detect Evil if he's walking at a normal pace.

Wyntonian
2012-03-20, 11:29 AM
Shepherd Abraham

Abe paces along with the rest of the group, his staff again fulfilling it's peacetime role as a walking stick. He perks up at the mention of dragons, however. "What's this about a dragon? I must say, I don't think I've ever seen one. Has anyone else?"

feo2
2012-03-20, 01:52 PM
Feo

“Can’t say that I have. Though they can’t be much tougher than a gazebo.”

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-20, 02:32 PM
Ilthea Aenar

Ilthea decides to ignore Feo's seemingly incongruous comment about a gazebo, whatever one of them was, and instead turns to the travelling monk: "No, I have never met one, but I do not think we should start out to hunt it. It may be a peaceable creature, and I'm sure fine words will stand a better chance than poor steel."

Spacewolf
2012-03-23, 02:47 PM
Samuel Grey

"So Osan you scanning for evil? It would be good to know if whatever shows up is likely to try and kill us or if it has an undeserved reputatuion."

Sir_Chivalry
2012-03-26, 11:51 AM
The forest registers no evil. If the dragon passed this way, it was not within the time limit of the detection spell. You do however see signs of its passing. Trees are turned aside, bushes trampled, and there are empty nests and hollows which would normally have animals and birds in them.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-03-26, 12:28 PM
Ilthea Aenar

Ilthea stares at the damage the creature wrought on the surrounding vegetation.

Trying to discern how large the creature is from the damage it has done. Not sure what kind of check that would be.

After this Ilthea advocates following the tracks.

Tortoise262
2012-03-26, 01:47 PM
Osan Emir

"The creature clearly passed through here, but I am unable to sense its evil trace, and could only do so if it were here quite recently."

Spacewolf
2012-03-26, 02:18 PM
Samuel Grey

"Well then into the woods we go, at least we have a path to follow now"

feo2
2012-03-26, 03:15 PM
Feo

Standing on top of one of the broken trees Feo looks around. So this is the power of a dragon. “You’re not going to run away if we meet this thing are you Curvo?”

“Let me put it to this way if a cracker and a steak were running away from you witch one would you chase?”

Seeing the rest of the group heading down the path, Feo catches up to them puts away his daggers and pulls out his bow. “Why do you suppose the animals have not returned? It’s not like the dragon has been here in the last hour or so… has it?”

Wyntonian
2012-03-29, 10:53 PM
Shepherd Abraham

Abe stands up from kneeling by a broken branch. "I think it was a while before that, as this branch is dry. On the other hand, if it was a whole hour ago, I'd think the birds and critters would have returned. I haven't seen so much as a rabbit." As he speaks, he loads his sling with a small lead ball.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-03, 09:22 PM
The woods are quiet, and the more perceptive among you notice that not a bird or stray animal can be heard, and the trees sway loudly and ominously in the wind.

feo2
2012-04-04, 11:09 AM
Feo

"Abe, are you saying that there is something else here scaring away the animals?" He starts looking around for a threat.

Can I take a ten here while we are walking? I have a +5 to spot and listen check.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-04, 10:06 PM
Feo

"Abe, are you saying that there is something else here scaring away the animals?" He starts looking around for a threat.

Can I take a ten here while we are walking? I have a +5 to spot and listen check.

You sure can take ten.

You see little of merit, besides what appear to be claw prints in the mud near the trail at one point.

feo2
2012-04-05, 08:26 AM
Feo

Feo heads off form the group a little to get a closer look at what he saw.“Hey guys look at this, it seems fresh, or at least fresher than the tree damage. Maybe this is what’s scaring away the animals. Does anyone know what it is? I’m not that great at this sort of thing.”

Knowledge animal (uncheck) [roll0]

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-05, 01:41 PM
Ilthea, having little skill at tracking, stands about, instead relaxing a bit, and thinking on how she might best build up the tension in her next ballad when she composes about this adventure...

Tortoise262
2012-04-05, 05:24 PM
Osan Emir

Having no tracking skills on which to rely, Osan simply goes along continuing to concentrate on Detecting Evil.

feo2
2012-04-05, 09:17 PM
Feo

Not remembering much about the creature that made the tracks he looks around to see what the others were doing. He spots*Ilthea deep in thought. Curious about what could require such deep thought, he walks towards her. "What are thinking so hard about?"

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-06, 05:07 AM
Ilthea

"I was considering the merits of a detailed passage of description, perhaps about us and our noble appearance, over an extended list of tales concerning the beast's savagery and might." She replied off hand. "But we should continue. Has anyone seen anything that might constitute tracks?"

Spacewolf
2012-04-06, 05:22 PM
Samuel

"Well i was thinking we follow the swath of devastation going in the way the trees fell down since that should be the way the creature was travelling. Although i guess this does rule out it being a creature overly interesting in protecting the forest"

Unless of course this is an illusion?

disbelieve devastation
[roll0]

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-06, 09:41 PM
Samuel

"Well i was thinking we follow the swath of devastation going in the way the trees fell down since that should be the way the creature was travelling. Although i guess this does rule out it being a creature overly interesting in protecting the forest"

Unless of course this is an illusion?

disbelieve devastation
[roll0]

As the group continues to travel and search, they finally hear it.

The dragon.

Sleeping, it's mighty (still a small dragon, but ya know) lungs inhaling and exhaling slowly.

Spacewolf
2012-04-07, 07:55 AM
Samuel

Whispering he says “Well then here we are now everybody stay down we don’t want to wake it until we know more about the situation. Osan is it evil?”

Spot Check for any more information on the dragon in front of us
[roll0]

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-07, 09:49 AM
Samuel

Whispering he says “Well then here we are now everybody stay down we don’t want to wake it until we know more about the situation. Osan is it evil?”

Spot Check for any more information on the dragon in front of us
[roll0]

It is a green dragon, about five feet long.

Spacewolf
2012-04-08, 09:29 AM
Samuel

Still keeping quiet "So then people what do you think should be our next move?"

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-08, 09:54 AM
Ilthea

Once they found the beast Ilthea found herself struggling to feel the requistie anger and hatred to summon a killing blow, instead she felt rather an ambivalence towards this small creature.

"These dragons are fell creatures, but surely there is something to be said for sparing the life of one so young. I cannot believe this creature could so effectively terrorise these locals. I propose we wake it and reason with it. It may tell us of things that we are as of yet ignorant."

Spacewolf
2012-04-08, 12:40 PM
Samuel

I agree unless we need to killing it should be a last resort. However in case it does attack us perhaps the rest of us should spread out so we will not be caught in the same blast. So who wants to wake it then?

Tortoise262
2012-04-08, 05:51 PM
Osan Emir

"It is too far yet for me to feel if there is an evil presence about it, but dragons of its kin generally are, Samuel."

Turning to the elf, Ilthea, do you suggest that the fiend may have family as well? If so, it may not be wise to treat it with hostility..." A pause. "If, indeed, it is ever wise to treat a dragon such."

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-09, 04:54 AM
Ilthea

"Kin perhaps, but I am not well acquainted with the properties of young dragons. I could not tell you if this creature could cause much damage. Even if it is the perpetrator, I feel we ought to choose reason over force, Osan Emir"

Tortoise262
2012-04-09, 02:00 PM
Osan Emir

Osan nods. "Though I'm afraid I'm not quite as adept in the field of strategy or negotiation. I'm more of a 'Plan B' sort of fellow."

feo2
2012-04-09, 02:32 PM
Feo

Following Osan statement. “As am I, I’ve had to talk my way out of a few things. But I think I would do more harm than good, being what I am.” He quickly scans the area near the dragon. “I believe that I would be more helpful from the woods, in case things go wrong.”

Looking for the box and anything else that I would find helpful
Spot [roll0]

If no one objects to me heading into the woods I’ll head there when we decide to wake the dragon.
Move silently [roll1]
Hide [roll2]
Ready bow to strike at sign of danger or at signal if we have one. Taking in to consideration a grumpy wake up call.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-15, 12:10 AM
Feo

Following Osan statement. “As am I, I’ve had to talk my way out of a few things. But I think I would do more harm than good, being what I am.” He quickly scans the area near the dragon. “I believe that I would be more helpful from the woods, in case things go wrong.”

Looking for the box and anything else that I would find helpful
Spot [roll0]

If no one objects to me heading into the woods I’ll head there when we decide to wake the dragon.
Move silently [roll1]
Hide [roll2]
Ready bow to strike at sign of danger or at signal if we have one. Taking in to consideration a grumpy wake up call.

You spot the box next to a tree, about ten feet from the dragon.

The dragon seems to stir.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-15, 08:58 AM
Ilthea

If Feo tells Ilthea he's seen the box she will:
Tell everyone to stop and then ask Feo to try and retrieve the box, reminding him to check for traps on it. Then get him to put some significant distance between himself and them and then wake the dragon (see next spoiler). If the dragon wakes up before then she will step forward and cast Lullaby (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/lullaby.htm).

If he doesn't tell her, she will proceed to:
Wake the dragon by talking loudly to Osan Emir about how beautiful and majestic the dragon is (standard flattery). If that fails she will sing a song as loud as she can (again aiming to flatter the dragon).
Perform-Sing: [roll0]

feo2
2012-04-15, 06:24 PM
Feo

Seeing the dragon stir he lower's his voice to a whisper. "I think i see the box we're after about ten feet away from the dragon. I can go after it if you want me to, but i think that dragon is going to wake up sooner rather than later."

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-16, 04:55 AM
Ilthea

Ilthea kicks plan A into action: She starts by moving forwards and singing a lullabby to the dragon [link in post above- DC 12] to reduce it's chances of spotting Feo, and she waves him forwards to retrieve the box.

feo2
2012-04-16, 08:52 AM
Feo

Seeing the chance Ilthea is making, he weaves through the trees and get close to the box, and sneaks it into his backpack.

Move Silently [roll0]
Hide [roll1]

Sleight of Hand [roll2]

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-17, 02:02 PM
Feo

Seeing the chance Ilthea is making, he weaves through the trees and get close to the box, and sneaks it into his backpack.

Move Silently [roll0]
Hide [roll1]

Sleight of Hand [roll2]

Feo gets the box, just as the dragon stirs, but it does not hear him over the lullaby. Feo is able to make a break for it.

Tortoise262
2012-04-17, 02:21 PM
Osan Emir

"Well done, Feo!" Osan shouts.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-17, 02:53 PM
Ilthea

Ilthea continues singing [read: concentrating], but allows herself a small grin.

feo2
2012-04-18, 12:59 PM
Feo

Feo quickly stiffens as Osan shouts out. What is he trying to do? Wake the Dragon? He looks to make sure the dragon is still asleep. only to find it was awake. I was too focused on the box to notice the dragon waking up!? I better remember to thank Osan if I survive this. Moving as little as possible he looks around to see if he can find a better spot to hide.

Since Osan is providing a distraction and Ilthea is still singing I believe that sufficient to keep the dragon occupied.

Hide[roll0]

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-19, 10:39 AM
Feo

Feo quickly stiffens as Osan shouts out. What is he trying to do? Wake the Dragon? He looks to make sure the dragon is still asleep. only to find it was awake. I was too focused on the box to notice the dragon waking up!? I better remember to thank Osan if I survive this. Moving as little as possible he looks around to see if he can find a better spot to hide.

Since Osan is providing a distraction and Ilthea is still singing I believe that sufficient to keep the dragon occupied.

Hide[roll0]

Feo succeeds in making it to the bushes.

The dragon calls out across the distance

"You there, what business have you in my forest?"

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-19, 11:44 AM
Ilthea

"Oh Magnificent one," Ilthea responds "We are but about mundane matters, something only trivial compared to your greatness."
"I apologise for any disturbance, but when I saw your beautiful scales, I could not help but sing of their wonder for my friends."

Bluff: [roll0]
Diplomacy: [roll1]

Spacewolf
2012-04-19, 02:18 PM
Samuel

"Ask if it knows anything about why the townspeople are so on edge once your done praising it"

Spacewolf
2012-04-19, 02:19 PM
Sense motive on anything the dragon says
[roll0]

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-19, 08:50 PM
Ilthea

"Oh Magnificent one," Ilthea responds "We are but about mundane matters, something only trivial compared to your greatness."
"I apologise for any disturbance, but when I saw your beautiful scales, I could not help but sing of their wonder for my friends."

Bluff: [roll0]
Diplomacy: [roll1]

"I am . . . amused by this. But begone now! You shall suffer my wrath if you do not leave."

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-20, 03:06 PM
Ilthea

"Of course, mighty lord!" Ilthea continues, hoping that they don't leave Feo stranded, not now that he has the box they wanted. "But if you enjoyed my words, then, I pray, listen to my song. My friends will attest to my talent, and it would be bolstered by such a magnificent muse such as yourself."

Spacewolf
2012-04-20, 05:24 PM
Guess i should also do a spot check for any unusual logs lying around
[roll0]

feo2
2012-04-20, 09:53 PM
Feo

This could be going better. Feo thought as he watch what was going on. All this for a box? He looks at the box in his bag before closing it up. And the jig would be up if I'm caught. Come on Feo think. He looks around for a plan to come to him.

spot[roll0]
looking around me for anything small that looks like a dragon would hoard that i can grab without blowing my cover. if nothing around me looking to see if there are dead people around. or gold pieces laying around.
I'm assuming that there are at least some that would have a coin pouch

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-21, 12:50 AM
Ilthea

"Of course, mighty lord!" Ilthea continues, hoping that they don't leave Feo stranded, not now that he has the box they wanted. "But if you enjoyed my words, then, I pray, listen to my song. My friends will attest to my talent, and it would be bolstered by such a magnificent muse such as yourself."

"You irritate me insect. Begone lest I unleash upon you and feast on your innards."

Guess i should also do a spot check for any unusual logs lying around
[roll0]

You see a well-stacked pile over behind an oak.

Feo

This could be going better. Feo thought as he watch what was going on. All this for a box? He looks at the box in his bag before closing it up. And the jig would be up if I'm caught. Come on Feo think. He looks around for a plan to come to him.

spot[roll0]
looking around me for anything small that looks like a dragon would hoard that i can grab without blowing my cover. if nothing around me looking to see if there are dead people around. or gold pieces laying around.
I'm assuming that there are at least some that would have a coin pouch

Another box, golden with small lapis lazuli discs around the lid.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-21, 07:41 AM
Ilthea

"Of course my lord dragon," She replies bowing, and starts to back away, back bent, but with head still looking up at him. She's going quite slowly.

feo2
2012-04-21, 04:27 PM
Feo

Feo grabs the box. And puts it in his bag. This will do. He watched as the group started backing away. Well i guess we're going to see what i can do. He waits for the group to get out of immediate danger. He pulls out a gold coin and starts to move.

i wait till the rest of the party are about 45 feet away
move silently [roll0]
hide [roll1]

Tortoise262
2012-04-22, 11:04 AM
Osan Emir

Osan remains quiet and stays focused on Ilthea, lest he betray Feo's position.

Spacewolf
2012-04-23, 02:24 PM
Samuel

Doesnt look like i will be able to get it this time, i imagine we will be back this way again though.

"So then are we going to go back to town or does someone have any ideas?"

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-23, 07:11 PM
Samuel

Doesnt look like i will be able to get it this time, i imagine we will be back this way again though.

"So then are we going to go back to town or does someone have any ideas?"

The dragon relaxes again, and Feo is able to slip by unaccosted.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-24, 05:03 AM
Ilthea

Ilthea moves back keeping the others in sight, and walks back to a mid way point between the dragon and the town. She turns to the others and waits for Feo to reunite with them.

"So let us take a look at this box we strove so hard to find. Did anyone catch a glimpse of the wood whilst we were at it, or anyone else who was trying to find these items?"

Spacewolf
2012-04-24, 07:00 AM
Samuel

Catching up and still speaking quitely to avoid being overheard by unfriendly ears. "Theres a stack of wood behind the oak over there that could be what where looking for but its hard to tell and at this point i'm not sure if it would be wise to take the risk for potentially nothing."

feo2
2012-04-24, 09:56 AM
Feo

I'm guessing that we are far enough away from the dragon that it can neither hear nor see us.

this was suppose to go in the OOC thread…. I’ll continue in a min

feo2
2012-04-24, 10:34 AM
Feo

Feo walks up to the rest of the group looking a bit confused. “Why are we talking about logs? I thought we were looking for just this box.” As he says this he pulls out the small wooden box from his pack. “With all the commotion with the dragon I haven’t had time to look at it yet. Give me a minute and I’ll tell you what I know.” He steps away form the group and starts to stare at the box willing it to tell its secrets. And if deemed safe starts fiddling with it.

if left alone and nothing exciting happens:
take a 20 on trapfinding

else:
Trapfinding [roll0]
Knowledge (arcane) 1d20+1
Also judging to see how long it would take to make a dummy box look like this.

Spacewolf
2012-04-25, 01:58 PM
Samuel

To wood we where talking about is something the group that told us about the dragon mentioned apparently it has some sort of healing properties. At this point i think it might be hard to go back and get it now the dragon is awake.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-25, 02:33 PM
Ilthea

Ilthea, looks to Feo, knowing one of her own race (even one as odd as this one) would be the best man for the job.
She hears Samuel's words and turns to him.
"I doubt we can go back, not yet. We have the box which is important, and it's best we find out what's in it. Once we are armed with that knowledge we can make our decisions as to what to do next."

Sir_Chivalry
2012-04-25, 04:09 PM
There are no traps on the box, and it would take some time to make a replica. You also remember that dragons have excellent memories and can notice a single missing gold piece from their hoard.

feo2
2012-04-25, 06:03 PM
Feo

"I can't find any traps on the box." Feo states as he walks back to the group. He holds the box out to the group. "Though I think that we should leave before that dragon start taking inventory"

Spacewolf
2012-04-26, 04:29 AM
Samuel

Makes sense although you should probably have a look inside the box before we get back into town to make sure it doesn't hold anything dangerous

feo2
2012-04-30, 03:43 PM
Feo

“Well I guess we should.” He sighs as he pulls the box back towards him. He stares at the box. Samuel is right; if there is anything dangerous in there I don’t want it to trouble the town. I got the box, I checked the box, I would be the one to clean it up. And… there was that other box. He felt the weight of the box in his pack. He could almost hear it call to him, “open me.” Yes the sooner that this job is done, the sooner I can get to that box. Using that as his bit of comfort he opens the box.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-04-30, 04:39 PM
Ilthea

She thought briefly of her brother, Ileon. His death should have taught me that it is dangerous to deal in things with which you know not.

But she ignored that niggling uncertainty and watched as Feo began.
"This almost as a sense of history, don't you think?" She asked lightly, "It seems someone should watch it for the sake of posterity."

Tortoise262
2012-05-01, 01:14 PM
Osan Emir

"Wait, Feo!" the paladin interjects. "Before you open the box, allow me at least to sense if there is a foreboding aura about it."

DETECT EVIL!

feo2
2012-05-01, 06:27 PM
Feo

Feo jerked his hand back, losing what little courage he had just gained. That’s right Osan could sense auras. He’ll be able to tell if there was anything extremely dangerous in the box.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-05-02, 08:27 AM
Osan Emir

"Wait, Feo!" the paladin interjects. "Before you open the box, allow me at least to sense if there is a foreboding aura about it."

DETECT EVIL!

The item is dimly evil, but the aura fades

Tortoise262
2012-05-02, 09:40 AM
Osan Emir

"I sense..." Osan's hands hover over the box for just a moment. He removes them and continues, "There was just a trace of evil, but now it's gone. Likely just a lingering aura from being in the dragon's possession. Open the box, I'm sure no demons will jump out of it." Nonetheless, Osan draws his sword and shield and prepares for the worst.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-02, 11:28 AM
Ilthea

On hearing the Osan's ominous words, and seeing him draw his weapon she to raised her crossbow, checking it was loaded. She would not be caught unaware.

Spacewolf
2012-05-02, 01:45 PM
Samuel

Samuel also draws his weapon as a precaution

feo2
2012-05-02, 06:57 PM
Feo

Feo watched as everyone else drew and pointed their weapon at him. I really hope that nothing comes out of this, otherwise I’ll have more things sticking out of me than a porcupine. He looks back at the box and opens it.

Sir_Chivalry
2012-05-06, 12:51 AM
Feo

Feo watched as everyone else drew and pointed their weapon at him. I really hope that nothing comes out of this, otherwise I’ll have more things sticking out of me than a porcupine. He looks back at the box and opens it.

Inside is a folded piece of paper with a drawing of a woman, a finger nail, and a gold ring.

al'Lan Mandrag
2012-05-06, 05:57 AM
Ilthea

Oh, well that was anticlimactic, she thought.

"Does anyone have a clue what these are? Or have any ideas on how to work it out?"

Spacewolf
2012-05-06, 06:56 AM
Samuel

"Well fingernails can be used to control someone in some old stories. Or in a more likely case this could be getting used to cast Resurrection on someone presumably the girl in the picture. "

feo2
2012-05-08, 04:18 PM
Feo
Feo stood there looking at contents of the box. He tried to remember if his sister mentioned anything about these components.

knowledge arkane [roll0]