PDA

View Full Version : The Halls of Undermountain (IC)

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-02-16, 03:26 PM
The warm atmosphere of the Yawning Portal tavern offers a blessed relieffrom the bitter winter chill outside. Here, pipesmoke and the scent of spiced wine mingle with dozens of dialogues bleeding into one, while the snowy world lies trapped outside the heavily fogged glass. In the midst of the folk talking and dancing is a wide circular well lit by everburning torches: the eponymous Yawning Portal, which, the leBend holds, is an entrance to Undermountain, the leBendary dungeon.

Intent on adventure-whether for sheer thrills or for matters material and financial-you settle into the smoky common room, talking about for a wealthy patron or a rumor of treasure to be found.

Within a mere moment of your entrance, a lovely musical laugh seizes your attention: At the next table, a nobly-dressed half-elf woman with a shock of crimson hair and bright eyes is discussing just such a quest with two adventurous-looking types: a dwarf and a tiefling wizard. You hear her mention "gold" and "ancient magic".

Gillric
2012-02-16, 04:11 PM
Ezekial

Drawn by the sound of her laugh and her striking red hair, Ezekial makes his way over to the half-elf's table. Pulling out a chair and slouching down into it, What is a beautiful creature like you doing with these two louts? If you wish to sponser a quest to Undermountian, I would be happy to oblige you for something that you can probably more easily part with than they demand.

tarsusc81
2012-02-16, 05:36 PM
Finren, Gnome Ranger

Finren takes a seat at a table alone and orders a drink. He sits idly running his finger along the blade of his scimitar, looking wearily about the room. When the talk between the half-elf and her companions becomes too load to ignore, something in him perks up to listen closely. He briefly thinks of the lightness of his wallet. But he pushes the thought aside. For now. Would that his skills could get him some normal, honest, and safe work for a change. He sighs and mutters to himself, "This is no way to make a living."

Sploosh
2012-02-16, 05:53 PM
Thoradin sits at a bones with a rather gruff looking group. A pipe rest in his mouth and more than one empty drink sits on the table in front of him to ease his growing losses. He wears fine dwarvern plate with an ancient look and covered in golden runes. A well used but well kept dwarvern hammer rests on the floor next to his chair along with a backpack.

His ears, hidden beneath a mane of rough brown hair, perk up. "'Scuse me, gentlemen. I've some..business to attend to." He drops a few coins onto the table, picks up his things and ambles over toward the growing group of adventurers.

"Pardon me, I couldn't help overhear a dicussion of a most interesting nature. My name is Thoradin, perhaps I could be of assistance."

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-02-17, 01:07 PM
"I'm sorry," the half-elf woman says to you, "but these two gentlemen have already accepted the task".

She turns to the tiefling and says "Now, we need a private place to discuss the terms."

"How about the alley?" he suggests.

You notice an evil glint in his eye. The dwarf grins.

tarsusc81
2012-02-17, 01:59 PM
Finren hasn't stopped listening, despite himself. Now he throws a casual glance toward the three at the near table. He doesn't like what he sees. Can she really be so stupid? he thinks, then heaves an even deeper sigh than before. It may shortly become moot whether he wants to get involved or not, if the half-elf is really so naive. He keeps a tight grip on his pack, ready to move if the half-elf proves willing to leave alone with her shifty companions.

Sploosh
2012-02-17, 05:33 PM
A puff of smoke comes from Thoradin's pipe as he scratches his beard in thought. "An alley is no place for a lady or for business. You might run into disreputable folk of unagreeable nature. Please, allow me to get you a room upstairs. It's the least I could do for intruding."

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-02-17, 07:00 PM
The shady looking dwarf grabs Thoradin's arm. "You best not be messing with me, welp! Mid your own business."

You notice that under his clothing is a rusty chain shirt, and there is a knife concealed in his belt.

Sploosh
2012-02-17, 07:05 PM
Thoradin looks down at the hand holding his arm. He keeps a measured expression but his bushy brows raise in interest. "I believe I was talking to the lady here, goodsir. No need to do anything rash."

Gillric
2012-02-17, 09:13 PM
Ezekial

Whoa, no need to get angry. Aren't we all among friends here? Why don't we all order another drink and settle this like gentlemen. Ezekial says with a disarming grin before sweeping off his enormous feathered hat and gesturing to a serving girl.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-02-17, 10:02 PM
The half-elf looks at Thoradin and Ezekial, incredulous.

"Who are you?" she askes, "And what do you care?"

Gillric
2012-02-17, 10:08 PM
Ezekial

Ah, forgive me for not introducing myself sooner m'lady. Ezekial rises from his seat and makes a deep bow before kissing the half-elf's hand. I am Ezekial, a mage in search of adventure. Maybe you have heard of me, I have been banned from most of the other drinking establishments in this fair city.

Sploosh
2012-02-17, 11:20 PM
Thoradin shares a wide eyed expression with the half-elf at Ezekial's flourishings. "As I said before, miss, I..err, several people.." he says, looking at Ezekial and then giving the room a quick glance. "Seem to be interested in your current affairs." He uses his free arm to fish out a key from his belt and holds it up to her. "A room for your privacy. You won't have to hear from me again. What have you got to lose?"

tarsusc81
2012-02-18, 02:00 AM
Finren has seen situations like this erupt too many times. He sets his ale down and rises, and then he sidles silently up to the shady looking dwarf. A head shorter than him, Finren looks up with a soft smile. "Looks like the lady might be getting charmed away from you," he says affably. "Happens to the best of us sometimes. How about if I buy you and your friend a consolation drink?"

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-02-24, 05:48 PM
"Fair enough," the dwarf says, and the tiefling nods.

The half-elf speaks. "Allow me to apologise. I was rude. I am Lisren Sunglade, and these are my new associates. The dwarf is Magnin Irongut, and the tall fellow simply calls himself Sleer."

Gillric
2012-02-26, 01:06 PM
Ezekial

Releasing the lady's hand, Ezekial straightens before again taking a seat at the table. No apologies necessary, but what of this expedition to Undermountain you were discussing?

tarsusc81
2012-02-26, 09:38 PM
I really can't believe that worked, Finren thinks to himself as he flags down a barmaid and hands her 2 sp for a pitcher of ale. He keeps a pleasant smile on his face, but inwardly feels weary that he's been pulled into the discussion after all.

Gillric
2012-02-29, 11:35 AM
Ezekial

You've gone quiet all of a sudden Lisren, what troubles you? Ezekial asks with a disarming grin.

Diplomacy: [roll0]
Insight: [roll1]

Sploosh
2012-03-05, 01:40 PM
Thoradin retracts his hands and and looks awkwardly around. "Well, good to see things aren't as bad as they seemed." he mumbles. "I'll just be off then.."

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-05, 03:45 PM
Lisren says "I have just hired these two brave gentlemen to scout out a newly discovered entrance which may lead to the famous subterranean network known as Undermountain. I'm I cannot disclose to you the exact location."

Gillric
2012-03-06, 09:13 AM
Ezekial

Well, that is most unfortunate m'lady. One should be more careful when choosing employees in order to avoid those loutish types.

tarsusc81
2012-03-06, 09:29 AM
Finren, Gnome Ranger

Finren keeps a placid smile on his face, inwardly wincing as Ezekial continues to needle the dangerous looking pair. He thanks the barmaid who returns with the pitcher of ale, proffering it to the tiefling and dwarf.

"Perhaps you'd be interested in additional help? In case these two gentlemen are . . . too small in number for the challenge?"

Gillric
2012-03-08, 11:55 AM
Ezekial

Well, it appears there is no reason for us to continue this conversation if you are going to be so obstinant about it.

Ezekial stands, dips another deep bow before sweeping his hat back onto his head and moving off in search of an empty table.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-08, 03:33 PM
"Wait! Additional help is not out of the question. What kind of skills so you good fellows posess?"

Gillric
2012-03-08, 04:12 PM
Ezekial

Slowing his departure, Ezekial turns to address the question. I am an enchanter m'lady, skilled in the arts magical.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-08, 04:36 PM
"Could you demonstrate?"

Sploosh
2012-03-09, 05:21 AM
Half way back to his table, his disappearance not as flashy or vocal as the "enchanter", Thoradin turns around upon hearing the resumed conversation. He too would like to see a show and perhaps his retirement was ending. A small grin came onto his face.

Gillric
2012-03-09, 07:33 AM
Ezekial

A demonstration? Why of course, I never thought you'd ask. With a flouish Ezekial summons a spectral hand over the table and causes it to pour the lady a drink.

Gillric
2012-03-13, 09:10 AM
Ezekial

Did my demonstration not impress you m'lady?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-13, 12:02 PM
"An apprentice mage could preform such a simple trick. Come outside and show me something more ... destructive."

Gillric
2012-03-13, 01:24 PM
Ezekial

It almost sounds as if you are trying to get me either arrested or banned from another drinking establishment. What did you have in mind for a focus for my power?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-13, 01:29 PM
"Perhaps a little firework display? I on't want anyone to get hurt, of course, but a simple mage hand spell is not impressive."

Gillric
2012-03-13, 02:22 PM
Ezekial

Firework display? What do you take me for? A lowly Pyromancer? I madam, am an enchanter. I will not produce fireworks for your amusement!

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-13, 02:28 PM
"Display your powers of enchantment, then."

Gillric
2012-03-13, 02:33 PM
Ezekial

If you insist, though you may not like the results.

Beguiling Strands:
1d20+9 vs Will against everyone withint blast 5 6 (edit, I did the math wrong), push each target that is hit 5 squares. not sure how many targets I am looking at, I would like to deal 0 damage.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-03-16, 11:59 AM
Lisren watches your display seriously, slowly nodding. "Very well," she says. "You may join the venture. But I warn you: it will be dangerous, and you may not return."

Gillric
2012-03-16, 12:05 PM
Ezekial

Sounds like my kind of expedition. Will you be accompanying us?