PDA

View Full Version : "Behold, the power of destruction!" (3.5 Spell, PEACH)

Noctis Vigil
2012-02-16, 04:28 PM
Inspired by Kane0.

Orb of Obliteration
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: burst with 30 foot radius
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial (object)
Spell Resistance: Yes

Swirls of crackling green energy surround your hand and are unleashed as an orb of power when you cast the spell. Upon reaching the target, it explodes into a massive orb of power 60 feet in diameter. Everything inside is must make a Fortitude save or take 2D6 per caster level. Anything reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by this spell is entirely disintegrated, leaving behind only a trace of fine dust. Anything that succeeds on its Fortitude save instead takes only 10D6 damage.

This spell destroys objects of force, such as forceful hand or a wall of force, but not magical effects such as globe of invulnerability or an antimagic field.

Material component: Dust from three disintegrated objects or creatures.

Noctis Vigil
2012-02-18, 08:44 PM
No PEACH at all? I figured someone would have something to say about a 9th level blaster spell. Anyone? :smallfrown:

Kane0
2012-02-18, 10:39 PM
Inspired by Kane0.

Inspired as in i'm the first person you want to kill with it? :smallbiggrin:

Seriously though, Its cool. Its like fireball, but its disintegration instead of fire. Seeing as the material cost is pretty much nothing compared to other 9th level spells i can see it getting some good use.

Hmm, actually 9th might even be a little too much for a mass disintegrate, given things like implosion and weird. Maybe make it 8th level and then you can make an evocation version for 9th :smallamused:

EDIT: Actually scratch that. Polar ray is one target for 1d8/Caster level. That alone makes this a 9th level spell.

CharityB
2012-02-18, 10:52 PM
I always thought Polar Ray was kind of a weird choice for an 8th level spell, to be honest. This spell is significantly better than Polar Ray, but I don't feel that this necessarily proves that it's a ninth level spell.

Kane0
2012-02-18, 11:02 PM
True, Polar ray kinda sucks in comparison to say Horrid Wilting or Polymorph Any Object. In fact this is very close to Horrid Wilting.

I retract my previous PEACH :smallsmile:

Noctis Vigil
2012-02-18, 11:09 PM
Naw, I wouldn't use this on you, Kane0. I'd miss your awesome PrCs if you got turned to dust. :smallsmile:

Keep in mind when determining spell level that this spell is unaffected by walls. It effects everything within the 60-foot sphere as if it was hit by a disintegrate spell. That plus the uncapped damage at 2D6 a level definitely makes this 9th level. Honestly, I kind of wish it was evocation; high level evocation spells aren't worth the spell slots they take up.

Kane0
2012-02-18, 11:35 PM
Naw, I wouldn't use this on you, Kane0. I'd miss your awesome PrCs if you got turned to dust. :smallsmile:

Keep in mind when determining spell level that this spell is unaffected by walls. It effects everything within the 60-foot sphere as if it was hit by a disintegrate spell. That plus the uncapped damage at 2D6 a level definitely makes this 9th level. Honestly, I kind of wish it was evocation; high level evocation spells aren't worth the spell slots they take up.

Awesome PrCs you say...hmm...

Anyway, you speak the truth. a 30ft killzone of uncapped 2d6/CL does sound pretty nasty, on top of negating force effects.

Ahh but the beauty of homebrew is that we can rebuild evocaion, because we have the imagination! And the technology.

Noctis Vigil
2012-02-18, 11:49 PM
Indeed we can. :smallsmile: At one point there was a thread dedicated to it. It needs to be revived. Evocation has way more potential that WotC never realized in its execution of high level spells.

Kane0
2012-02-19, 12:17 AM
The fact that the advice to wizards is to specialize and always drop evocation and some other spell school is testament to that.

Noctis Vigil
2012-02-19, 12:32 AM
So perhaps I should try and rework Evocation magic as my next goal? It probably wouldn't take too much to fix most existing spells. The trick is to rework the higher level stuff.

Kane0
2012-02-19, 12:38 AM
Plus youd have to stop other spell school from raining on its parade (Specifically conjuration and the shadow conjuration/shades line), but yeah, reworking evocation sounds like a good idea. Make sure to add some SoS's, SoL's and SoD's in there for good measure! I can try to lend a hand if you want.

Noctis Vigil
2012-02-19, 02:53 AM
I'll need to look over what Evocation has currently. I'm not sure what all I can allow for penalties outside of straight up damage. Also, SoLs? I know Save-or-Suck and Save-or-Die, but I don't know SoL.

Kane0
2012-02-19, 03:26 AM
Save or lose if memory serves. Its an improved save or suck.

Sorry to jump the gun, ive already gone ahead and made a thread. We can make it a join effort it you like :smallsmile: