PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Ordained Champion PrC?

Gwendol
2012-02-16, 04:32 PM
So, I'm looking for development opportunities for my martial cleric (Dwarf, Kaxanar) and by the looks of it, Ordained Champion (Complete Champion p. 90) seems to fit the bill. Full BAB, half spell progression PrC (5 levels), with some interesting class features: smite, extra domain, spell channeling, and some.

The spell channelling is especially intriguing as it is different from the duskblade variety. "Any" spell can be channeled, not just touch spells.

Any other things to consider before taking the class?

Morbis Meh
2012-02-16, 04:56 PM
Well all I can say is that it is an excellent PrC for a paladin but only a good dip for a cleric and only to pick up the extra domain... A straight cleric will out melee an Ordained champion just for the reason they will have access to better buff spells earlier. With being said if you're less focused on spell casting it's a great choice, Prestige Paladin is also a popular choice.

TroubleBrewing
2012-02-16, 05:00 PM
It makes an excellent 1-level dip, but if you're looking for something to take all the way up, I recommend Bone Knight. 9/10 casting is better than 5/10.

Gwendol
2012-02-16, 05:03 PM
Thanks, I'll take a look at bone knight as well.

Greenish
2012-02-16, 05:04 PM
It makes an excellent 1-level dip, but if you're looking for something to take all the way up, I recommend Bone Knight. 9/10 casting is better than 5/10.Ordained Champion is 3/5.

And pretty good, for that matter, for making a non-DMM persist melee cleric. It might not be the best choice ever, but you'll still be CoDzilla.

Akto
2012-02-16, 05:15 PM
I'm playing a 4/5/1 Cleric/OC/Divine Disciple atm. and i'm loving it, but i am also not a big fan of persist, have DMM:Twin spell(our DM allows me to channel twinned spells into my weapon, though we are a bit confused about what raw says about this) and DMM: quicken (we are using PF's feat progression) and i am pushing out some very nice dmg and being a very stable frontliner

Manateee
2012-02-16, 05:27 PM
The first three levels are awesome and easy to fit into most builds. For a melee Cleric, this is one of the examples of class features justifying CL loss. Way better than Fist of Raziel, Prestige Paladin, Bone Knight or most of the other go-to melee Cleric PrCs.

Keld Denar
2012-02-16, 05:35 PM
Yea, if you aren't running DMM Persist (which I never do, feels too dirty), OC is pretty solid. Yea, you do lose 2 spellcaster levels, but it is still good. The features are just that good.

It's also a solid part of a crazy combo that can allow you to convert all of your 5th level plus spells into swift action Flame Strikes and cast them all in one round (with RKV's Divine Impetus). Throwing 120d6 at someone as a swift action is kinda hillarious.

TroubleBrewing
2012-02-17, 02:45 AM
"You make a 1/2 second gesture, following which the heavens open and pour out their fury upon your opponent. What do you do with the rest of your turn?"

"Full attack? I mean, does it matter what I do at this point?"

Gwendol
2012-02-17, 03:23 AM
DMM: Persist will be hard to pull off with this character due to low CHA (8), unless I take extra turning a few times. Also, I have a feeling it just makes life harder for all in the team, once the DM catches on.

I looked at the Divine Disciple also, but didn't like the capstone ability. Turning into another type of creature just doesn't sit well with me.

Akto
2012-02-17, 04:54 AM
I looked at the Divine Disciple also, but didn't like the capstone ability. Turning into another type of creature just doesn't sit well with me.

The goal of the OC i'm playing is to become a god himself, and he has made a cult with himself being the subject of worship without anyone knowing that the aspect they worship, is actually an aspect of him. And because of this it fits the fluff if he get's turned into an outsider, also gonna add some Contemplative, for yet another domain choice (have 4 atm. :smalltongue: ) and a sprinke of crusader for some more melee options, i know CL loss is not the most OP, but it all fits how i want my character, other then that Divine Disc is good for the first level atleast as it get's you an ekstra domain without losing out on anything

Gwendol
2012-02-17, 04:59 AM
With those goals in mind, then the DD is very much in character. Saint template perhaps?

Haviclord
2016-12-30, 04:59 PM
To bad you couldn't work into the build solar channeler and the shining blade class is kind of a crappy till the end

scolack
2018-05-20, 12:18 AM
Yea, if you aren't running DMM Persist (which I never do, feels too dirty), OC is pretty solid. Yea, you do lose 2 spellcaster levels, but it is still good. The features are just that good.

It's also a solid part of a crazy combo that can allow you to convert all of your 5th level plus spells into swift action Flame Strikes and cast them all in one round (with RKV's Divine Impetus). Throwing 120d6 at someone as a swift action is kinda hillarious.

Except RKV's Divine Impetus CLEARLY states you can burn a turn undead to gain ONE additional swift action this turn.

And if we want to get real technical with RAW, it is a Supernatural ability which is a "standard action unless otherwise stated" So technically you would be sacrificing a standard action for 1 additional swift action.

RAI clearly meant for the ability to be 1/free action per turn to get 1 additional swift action so that your turn would be 1 standard/1move/2 swifts. People who try to act like they can burn infinite turn undeads for swifts are out of their minds and just trying to break the game on purpose.

noce
2018-05-20, 04:44 AM
No one mentioned Ordained Champion has the prerequisite of being a cleric either of Heironeous or Hextor.
This limits your alignment, your weapon of choice, your domain choices, as well as your roleplay.

One should evaluate Ordained Champion with these limitations in mind, but everyone seems to always forget this.
If your DM removes this prerequisite, then the prestige class becomes much more powerful, but this is not the norm.

EDIT: on a related note, do not take into account posts that suggest to combine OC with Ruby Knight Vindicator, since RKVs have to be devote to Wee Jas, so RAW you cannot take both.

Sian
2018-05-20, 04:51 AM
eh ... using the adaptation listed it a low-effort to tweak it into fitting another deity

Ellrin
2018-05-20, 10:10 AM
Except RKV's Divine Impetus CLEARLY states you can burn a turn undead to gain ONE additional swift action this turn.

But if we burn through our turn undead attempts, how will we turn this thread!?