PDA

View Full Version : I Have INTERNET!

Starwulf
2012-02-16, 05:27 PM
So, for the last 2 decades of my life, I have suffered through incredibly lousy dial-up internet. 26.4k Connection speed. Well, recently, my Wife's mother moved fairly close to us, and she got something called MyFi. We investigated it, and discovered that it SHOULD work for us. So, I contacted AT&T a couple of days ago, and chatted with a customer service rep, and she confirmed that it was in fact available up here(4G). So, we placed an order for the Mobile Hotspot device, signed up for a 2 year contract(sadly, it is a 5GB cap, but ehh, I never used that much ever before on dial-up, so I'm fine with it), and then waited. Today, the device came in the mail, we hooked it up, plugged in the wireless adaptor USB thingie into the computer, and lo and behold, IT WORKS!

I am absolutely ecstatic, I finally know what it feels like to have incredibly fast internet! It ROCKS! Webpages load instantly! Downloaded updates for trillian and adobe in under a minute for both of them combined. Ahh, I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. Such a happy day! I just thought I'd share since I know I have talked about(and complained about, very bitterly) my crappy internet on these forums in the past. So, Hip Hip HOORAY!

Pika...
2012-02-16, 05:30 PM
Congrats!

Welcome to the modern age.

Now go enjoy Youtube and such. :smallbiggrin:

Grinner
2012-02-16, 05:30 PM
Congratulations.

Edit: If I may ask, were other connection options, like broadband, not available in your area?

Riverdance
2012-02-16, 05:39 PM
Congratulations. You can now realize that it wasn't your internet connection making threads and responses load slowly. :smallbiggrin:

But seriously, congrats.

Starwulf
2012-02-16, 05:47 PM
Congratulations.

Edit: If I may ask, were other connection options, like broadband, not available in your area?

Nope, no broadband or anything. I live on top of a mountain, about 10 miles or so away from the nearest town, which is only about 1300 people, so the DSL lines and stuff end at the towns borders. It was either Dial-up, or Satellite for the longest time here, and Satellite was never really viable because of the insane response times due to having to communicate with a satellite up in space and what not. Hell, I didn't even know that I could get this MyFi, because someone on these very boards had suggested it to me before, but when I went to the website, it said that coverage didn't extend out here. It wasn't until my wife's mother got it that we realized the website was obviously wrong. Believe me, I wouldn't have committed to a 2 year contract for a 5GB cap if I had had other options. Regardless, I'm still ecstatic.

Congratulations. You can now realize that it wasn't your internet connection making threads and responses load slowly. :smallbiggrin:

But seriously, congrats.

lmao! Thanks :)

Flickerdart
2012-02-16, 05:49 PM
Grab NetMeter or some other metering software to make sure that you're not exceeding your cap. Those things can sneak up on ya.

Aidan305
2012-02-16, 05:49 PM
I remember when I got proper internets after having to suffer through what was, effectively, a 5kbs connection for years.

Things loaded. They loaded quickly. I could use things that needed flash.

I sometimes forget just how slow things were back then.

Starwulf
2012-02-16, 05:51 PM
Grab NetMeter or some other metering software to make sure that you're not exceeding your cap. Those things can sneak up on ya.

Thankfully, the device I ordered tells me how much of my cap I've consumed and what I have left right on the screen :)

Mutant Sheep
2012-02-16, 05:52 PM
Grats on joining the rest of us in the 503 error world, now you can have our first world problems instead of your 1.5 world problems. :smalltongue::smallwink:

Asta Kask
2012-02-16, 05:55 PM
So now your productivity will drop by 90% as well?

Ancano
2012-02-16, 05:58 PM
Satellite internet is worse than dialup. Sure the throughput is okay, but the ping is off the charts (and that's a bad thing).

ThePhantasm
2012-02-16, 08:16 PM
Grats on joining the rest of us in the 503 error world, now you can have our first world problems instead of your 1.5 world problems. :smalltongue::smallwink:

lol, "1.5 world." :smalltongue:

Starscream
2012-02-16, 10:05 PM
I remember when I first got to college, plugged in my computer, stuck the ethernet cable into the back, and opened my browser.

The clouds parted, the birds started singing in the trees, and all was right with the world. After over a decade of being able to go downstairs to the fridge and back while waiting for a jpeg to load, the high speed access I got in the dorms was truly a religious experience.

I actually dreaded coming home for vacation, because I knew after a day or two I would be gnawing the keyboard in frustration while waiting for my sites to load.

It was like Chinese water torture, but the drops of water are bandwidth.

Cikomyr
2012-02-16, 10:15 PM
Dude, saying that "you never downloaded 5 GB of data before"

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/001/384/Atrapitis.gif

Trust me. Now that you have broadband, you will increase your download rate like you've never before. BE CAREFUL, otherwise it's not gonna be funny when the bill gonna come.

factotum
2012-02-17, 02:33 AM
Agree with Cikomyr there--you'd have been struggling to exceed a 5Gb cap on 26.4k dial-up even if you'd been constantly transferring data all month, but the same isn't true now you've got a faster connection, and the charges for exceeding the cap on a 4G connection are going to be stratospheric.

grimbold
2012-02-17, 04:12 PM
one day
I WILL BE LIKE YOU!