PDA

View Full Version : [3.PF] Skill Ranks question

bartman
2012-02-16, 06:17 PM
I was wondering if there was any way to get more ranks in a particular skill than your level? For example, be a level 5 character, but have 6 ranks in a particular skill? Is there a particular item that does this? If it helps, my DM is very forgiving, so I could custom make an item, or use an item from 3.0, or 3.5, or PF.

hivedragon
2012-02-16, 06:23 PM
Ninja Spy (oriental adventures) gets a huge bonus to balance, climb, jump and tumble.

sonofzeal
2012-02-16, 06:38 PM
Ninja Spy (oriental adventures) gets a huge bonus to balance, climb, jump and tumble.
He probably wants early entry to a PrC, so this doesn't help.

The Inspire Greatness trick still works in PF iirc. A Bard singing that song grants extra HD, thus effectively raising the cap. Exploiting that requires a very permissive DM, but it's the only way I know of without requiring a specific race.

bartman
2012-02-18, 07:14 PM
I am looking to make a nightcrawler-esque character, by level 10. so far the earliest I can do it is level 12, since I need the 4 levels of Teflammar ShadowLord for shadow-pounce, and 7 ranks in a particular skill (PF combined the skills, -3 for the class skill change), and I am using a -1 level adjust race to get around the spellcasting requirements.

TuggyNE
2012-02-18, 08:46 PM
I am looking to make a nightcrawler-esque character, by level 10. so far the earliest I can do it is level 12, since I need the 4 levels of Teflammar ShadowLord for shadow-pounce, and 7 ranks in a particular skill (PF combined the skills, -3 for the class skill change), and I am using a -1 level adjust race to get around the spellcasting requirements.

I'm not sure what your build order looks like, but if you merely need 7 ranks by level 10, that shouldn't be a problem, even with cross-class skills. You can put more than one skill point in at any given level, you know....

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-18, 08:58 PM
I'm not sure what your build order looks like, but if you merely need 7 ranks by level 10, that shouldn't be a problem, even with cross-class skills. You can put more than one skill point in at any given level, you know....

He's saying he doesn't get four levels in the PrC by level 10.

Since the PrC was made for 3.5, based on the assumption you get level+3 ranks for class skills, I have no idea why you wouldn't reduce the prerequisite ranks by 3.

sonofzeal
2012-02-18, 09:04 PM
He's doing PF. "You can never have more ranks in a skill than your total number of Hit Dice." This really screws over PRC entry unless your PM takes the obvious adjustment of lowering requirements by 3 to line up with the new skill system.

hex0
2012-02-18, 09:16 PM
He's doing PF. "You can never have more ranks in a skill than your total number of Hit Dice." This really screws over PRC entry unless your PM takes the obvious adjustment of lowering requirements by 3 to line up with the new skill system.

Except if you you blow feats on some cityscape stuff to reduce the max skill investment for skills....probably not worth it unless you can retrain...

sonofzeal
2012-02-18, 09:57 PM
Except if you you blow feats on some cityscape stuff to reduce the max skill investment for skills....probably not worth it unless you can retrain...
I'm not sure why you quoted my post on that. Having to "blow feats" that you didn't before counts as screwing over PrC entry in my book.

Telasi
2012-02-18, 10:05 PM
The 3.5 to Pathfinder conversion guide says to lower the skill pre-requisites of PrCs by three to accommodate the skill system change. That should help a bit.

FMArthur
2012-02-18, 10:23 PM
It certainly did and he mentioned that already.

OP, The feat you are looking for is Primary Contact from Cityscape, which gives you a bonus skill rank and explicitly says it can go above your character level. It has a prerequisite feat and both have fluff prerequisites, but are otherwise doable at any level. Both feats will basically be worthless after you've entered, so it's a steep price.

hex0
2012-02-19, 06:37 PM
OP, The feat you are looking for is Primary Contact from Cityscape, which gives you a bonus skill rank and explicitly says it can go above your character level. It has a prerequisite feat and both have fluff prerequisites, but are otherwise doable at any level. Both feats will basically be worthless after you've entered, so it's a steep price.

That's why I quoted you above. :smallbiggrin:

FMArthur
2012-02-19, 06:52 PM
Your vague, completely erroneous information was my reason for responding at all. The OP probably would have liked a specific answer, and upon seeing the option that you said would "reduce the max skill investment for skills", probably would not have gone and looked it up, since the way you describe it is pretty much the opposite of what's needed.

bartman
2012-02-25, 10:05 AM
It certainly did and he mentioned that already.

This seems to be exactly what I am looking for. I will have to sit down when I do not have a 1 year old and 3 year old clinging to my legs, and see if it works for my build, since as you said, it is feat expensive, and even in PF, there ae never enough feats.

Thanks for the tip

Mystify
2012-02-25, 10:37 AM
Though oddly enough, since that feat is not actually a pre-requisite for anything, after you meet the rank requirements normally it should be viable for retraining...

Cieyrin
2012-02-25, 10:49 AM

You could avoid the skill shenanigans by going the Dimensional Agility chain, which does the Nightcrawler quite aptly, though you can't start the chain till you pick up Dim Door, which means 7th level at the earliest if you go full caster, 9th level or later if you want to be more martial. The chain isn't a Combat chain, so unfortunately you can't rapidly rush your way in.

Coidzor
2012-02-25, 03:11 PM
The 3.5 to Pathfinder conversion guide says to lower the skill pre-requisites of PrCs by three to accommodate the skill system change. That should help a bit.

This guide? (http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/p/paizoPublishingLLC/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/v5748btpy89m6)

Jeraa
2012-02-25, 03:33 PM
This guide? (http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/p/paizoPublishingLLC/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/v5748btpy89m6)

Yes, that guide.