PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at making avatars

Mers15
2012-02-16, 07:47 PM
Hi guys! I'm new here, and after seeing all the awesome avatars around this site, I wanted to try making a few. I could see this being a cool way to make character pictures for D&D campaigns.
http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o499/Mers15/Screenshot2012-02-16at64804PM-1.png

http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o499/Mers15/CaptainMorguepicture.png

What do you think? I'm not sure I did the eyebrows and mouths right- they seem a little off

Dark Elf Bard
2012-02-18, 12:05 AM
You are GREAT! The eyebrows are a little off, but you will soon be making many avvies I hope!

Dogmantra
2012-02-18, 05:42 AM
Starting with the first one, the eyes are absolutely giant, which is the biggest thing making the face look off, though the eyebrows and mouth aren't fantastic, but the eyebrows should be easier to make longer when you resize the eyes down, and the mouth is just a matter of changing the smoothness of the curve (it looks a bit too sharp right now). Your lines are a tad too thin (if you're working at 120x120 to start with, 2 pixel lines is a good baseline, I like to make them slightly thicker, but I work slightly larger and export smaller). The body and head are also a bit too thin looking, if you just resized 'em a bit horizontally, they would look a lot more in line with the style. Couple of minor tweaks I'd do to the belt, first off line it up with the bottom of the body/top of the trousers, because at the moment you can see another black line from somewhere else, which makes a really thick black line and that doesn't look so great. The other thing is that the left strand of belt looks a bit too straight, I'd give it a bit of a curve. Finally, while it's obvious you're going for something unconventional with the feet (otherwise you'd have just used a flat line), I would get rid of one of the little toe lines and spread the other two out. Makes the feet look a bit cluttered.

Wayril
2012-02-18, 11:51 PM
Nice work. I always found cloaks to be a bit of a pain to do and that one looks about right. Keep it up! :smallsmile:

Edit: Line thickness up a bit. It'll change a lot.