PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Magic Items for Druid?

rmg22893
2012-02-16, 08:05 PM
Level 6 druid in a campaign right now, and I have no idea what magic items to plan for, other than a +x nonmetal wild fullplate and a +x periapt of wisdom, as well as wilding clasps accordingly. Any other suggestions?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-02-16, 08:46 PM
Armor/Ring/Mantle of the Beast in Complete Champion are pretty good, but easy to skip. The Ring of the Beast is probably the one must-have item of that set. The Raiment of the Stormwalker in MIC is designed for Druids, but also easy to skip. The Raiment of the Four in MIC is pretty good, especially for being able to cast Teleport, but you'll need a Wilding Clasp for each piece.

Lesser Metamagic Rods of Extend are amazing, you'll probably want at least three of them. Use it for Longstrider, Creeping Cold, Heart of Water, Greater Magic Fang, Sleet Storm, etc.

You'll want a Rod of Bodily Restoration (MIC), especially if you're good-aligned and buff yourself with Luminous Armor (BoED) every day. A Healing Belt (MIC) is also a good choice in the low levels, but you'll need a Wilding Clasp for it. Note that any item with a Wilding Clasp will 'continue to function' when you wild shape. One function of a belt is to hold other items, so you can tuck other items into a clasped belt and they too will not meld into you when you wild shape.

A standard Strand of Prayer Beads which has had the Bead of Smiting removed will only cost 9,000 gp as per DMG pricing. The SRD tells a different story, but for D&D games specifically the DMG is primary source over the generic d20 SRD. That will contain a Bead of Healing and a Bead of Karma, the Bead of Healing is great to have on hand for fixing any of several negative effects, and the Bead of Karma will give you +4 caster level when you cast your daily buffs.

Get Unguent of Timelessness (DMG) to put on some Bone Talisman (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040721a) (turning) spell foci so it lasts 365 times longer than normal (60 hours 50 minutes per caster level). Get those set up during downtime (using a Lesser Rod of Extend and Bead of Karma even) and you'll be at least as good at undead turning as a single-classed Cleric. The Unguent will never wear off, and those same spell foci can be reused indefinitely.

A Monk's Belt plus Wilding Clasp should be at the top of your list, in case you're unclear on this, it grants the entire Monk AC class feature, which includes adding your Wis bonus to AC. Wild armor still melds into your form when you wild shape, it grants you the armor bonus but you're not considered armored, so you'll still gain the Monk AC benefits. Items worn meld into your form and become nonfunctional entirely, but the Wild property preserves the armor bonus and just the armor bonus, so all other effects of the armor except that one benefit will cease to function.

Get a Circlet of Rapid Casting (MIC) with a Wilding Clasp. You can add an Enhancement bonus to Wisdom to that for no more than the cost of a standalone Periapt of Wisdom (MIC p234), so you'll use fewer Wilding Clasps.

A Necklace of Adaptation is a great choice for any character, you'll need a Wilding Clasp for it. Add an Enhancement bonus to Constitution to that (MIC p234).

Armbands of Might (MIC) are good for grappling, tripping, and power attacking, if you're into any of that. If you have an animal companion with pounce, you should give it Power Attack and Leap Attack and get it a set of these.

By around level 13 you should have a standard Metamagic Rod of Extend and a 6th level Pearl of Power. Every other day prepare Energy Immunity twice, and using the pearl to recover one you cast it three times with the Rod of Extend, so each lasts 48 hours. On the days in between, prepare Energy Immunity once and Superior Resistance once, and again using the pearl you cast Energy Immunity twice and Superior Resistance using the Rod of Extend, and each of those lasts 48 hours. This gives you continual immunity to all five energy types and a +6 Resistance bonus on all saving throws, for the cost of those two items and two 6th level spell slots each day.

Get a Standard Metamagic Rod of Empower and use it with Fire Seeds (berry bombs), put all eight berries in a pouch and you'll deal (1d8+CL)x12 damage (average >200 damage) in a 5-ft. radius when it's detonated. You can cast it multiple times and put all the berries together with the same command word, even. Put a dose of Unguent of Timelessness on the berries and they'll last just as long as your Bone Talismans, they won't be reusable but the Unguent is cheap enough to stock up on.

Mystify
2012-02-16, 08:46 PM
how good is your wisdom? Youmay want monks belt+bracers of armor instead. If your wisdom is at least a +8, you get just as much, if not more, AC than the full plate, and it works on touch. I played a druid in full plate once. Touch was my achille's heal.

rmg22893
2012-02-16, 09:00 PM
how good is your wisdom? Youmay want monks belt+bracers of armor instead. If your wisdom is at least a +8, you get just as much, if not more, AC than the full plate, and it works on touch. I played a druid in full plate once. Touch was my achille's heal.

Right now it's only a 19.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-02-16, 09:02 PM
Monk AC works with Wild armor when you're wild shaped. The armor melds into your form and becomes nonfunctional, i.e. you're no longer considered armored or even wearing anything at all, but the AC bonus and just the AC bonus is preserved.

You're still better off casting (Extended) (Greater) Luminous Armor every day, still using a Monk's Belt.

Mystify
2012-02-16, 09:06 PM
Right now it's only a 19.

It will probably be much higher before you hit the price range for +4 full plate anyways.

FedeS
2016-12-06, 09:26 PM
Hey guys! Im trying to revive this thread as it has been quite useful for me. I'm working on a lvl 13 Druid. We're using a mix of 3.5e and Pathfinder, I know it sounds complicated but we've been playing this campaign for so long (around 6 years) that we've done what we could to keep things stable.

I have one specific doubt. I got kinda confused when talking about armor. I'm still working on my PC but so far I got him a Hide Armor +4 (Wild). Yes, it was kinda expensive but it does make sense. Is there a better alternative? What I find nice about this is that I have +8 AC both in my normal shape and after switching my appearance.

Do you recommend me another item set? Hope someone reads this :D

eggynack
2016-12-06, 09:29 PM
Hey guys! Im trying to revive this thread as it has been quite useful for me. I'm working on a lvl 13 Druid. We're using a mix of 3.5e and Pathfinder, I know it sounds complicated but we've been playing this campaign for so long (around 6 years) that we've done what we could to keep things stable.

I have one specific doubt. I got kinda confused when talking about armor. I'm still working on my PC but so far I got him a Hide Armor +4 (Wild). Yes, it was kinda expensive but it does make sense. Is there a better alternative? What I find nice about this is that I have +8 AC both in my normal shape and after switching my appearance.

Do you recommend me another item set? Hope someone reads this :D
You should probably just start a different thread to talk about this as opposed to using thread necromancy. As a quick answer, the spell luminous armor from BoED is great, as is the monk's belt. Both work across forms. For more item information, my sigged handbook exists.

FedeS
2016-12-07, 12:37 AM
You should probably just start a different thread to talk about this as opposed to using thread necromancy. As a quick answer, the spell luminous armor from BoED is great, as is the monk's belt. Both work across forms. For more item information, my sigged handbook exists.

Thanks for your answer, I think it's enough with it! One last doubt though. Would you mind sharing a link to the description of that belt? Thanks a lot.

eggynack
2016-12-07, 12:57 AM
Thanks for your answer, I think it's enough with it! One last doubt though. Would you mind sharing a link to the description of that belt? Thanks a lot.
Here ya go (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#beltMonks).

FedeS
2016-12-07, 02:06 AM
Thank you a lot!! :)