PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Making God-Of-War Style Bosses

Kymme
2012-02-16, 08:11 PM
Greetings Ladies and Gentlemen!

Explanation Below
I have recently decided that big, solo-type monsters aren't really EPIC enough for my current campaign. So I decided that i would create a new form of creature in D & D. A boss monster SO BIG that it couldn't be fought on an even playing field. If you didn't, it would most likely just stomp on you, then laugh about it.
So, these bosses are, statistics-wise, a creature so big that you could only engage parts of it at a time. These monsters would be represented by multiple stat blocks, one for each part that will interact with the PC's. Such as a monster that attacks the PC's when they are standing on a platform that is level to its belly button. The PC's would only be able to reliably stab its belly, while other, more vital parts are still out of reach. The monster would have a stat block for its arms and head, and a simple pool of hit points for its belly, and the monster would change its attacks depending on the level of hit points in it's belly pool. Having stats for its head and its arms would allow it more times to act on the inititve cound, and give it more times to do cool stuff. In short, the boss could be more CINIMATIC.

Sample Boss Monster: The Greviar!
An earsplitting roar emits from behind the iron shod portcullis. Then, with a loud cranking sound, the gate opens. Emerging from the gate is a creature of nightmares. The catlike creature is over 40 feet from head to tail tip, with bony ridges on its eyebrows and chin. A mechanical apparatus runs down from its false steel ear to its electric blue clockwork eye. Wires go from the eye to a pulsing blue tower grafted into its arched back. The tower has wires that connect to its left arm, which seems entirely mechanical, with hissing steam and screeching joints. Electricity dances along its entire body, emanating from the crackling tower.

Greviar Head
Large Magical Beast
HD 4d10+12 (40)
Speed --
Init: +3
AC 20; touch 12; flat-footed 17
(-1 size, +4 natural, +4 barding, +3 dex)
BAB +3; Grp +14
Attack Bite +6 (1d8+4, 20/x2 + electrifying touch) or
Attack Spit Spark +6 touch (3d8, 20/x2)
Full-Attack Bite +6 (1d8+4, 20/x2 + electrifying touch)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 30 ft.
Special Attacks Electrifying touch, improved grab
Special Qualities immune to death effects, electricity, DR 5/-, SR 14, shock points
Saves Fort +6 Ref +3 Will +7
Abilities Str 16, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 12
Skills Spot +10, Listen +10
Feats Ability Focus (breath weapon), Improved Grapple

Greviar Arm (2)
Huge Magical Beast
HD 6d10+18 (48)
Speed --
Init: +0
AC 16; touch 8; flat-footed 16
(-2 size, +4 natural, +4 barding)
BAB +4; Grp +18
Attack Claw +10
(3d6+9, 20/x3 + electrifying touch)
Full-Attack Claw +10
Space 20 ft.; Reach 45 ft.
Special Attacks Forearm swipe, claw slam, electrifying touch
Special Qualities immune to: mind affecting ablilities, electricity, death effects, DR 5/-, SR 14
Saves Fort +12 Ref +9 Will +6
Abilities Str 22, Dex 10, Con 16, Int -, Wis -, Cha -
Skills none
Feats Improved Natural Attack, Weapon Focus (claw), Ability Focus (forearm swipe)

Environment Any Evil place
Organization none?
Challenge Rating 7
Treasure Triple Standard
Alignment CE
Advancement none
Level Adjustment none

The Greviar is the newest in large, hero-killing monstrosities for the upcoming evil overlord. It is manufactured by the Trizzet Empire, and shipped in large, frightening crates, to maximise the coolness of its unveilment.

Combat
Electrifying Touch (Su) The Greviar’s Natural attacks are infused with electricity, which arcs out whenever it attacks. The Greviar’s bite and claw attacks deal and extra 2d6 points of electricity damage.
Breath Weapon (Su) The electric engine that keeps the Greviar alive also gives it the ability to launch a 40 foot cone of electricity for two Shock Points. All within the cone take 4d8 points of electricity damage, reflex DC 20 for half.
Shock Points (Su) The electric engine on a Greviar’s back gives it the ability to use Shock Points. . These 15 Points can each be spent once per day in one of 3 ways, each as a full round action on the head’s turn. 1 point can be spent to charge the Greviar’s claws and teeth, activating electrifying touch until the Greviar Head’s next turn. 2 points can be spent to launch the Greviar’s breath weapon. If both the arms and the head spend a full round action, the Greviar can expend 3 Shock Points to heal 45 hit points to its head and arms.
Forearm Swipe (Ex) As a full round action, the Greviar Arm can designate a 30 foot cone in front of it. All those in the cone take 4d8+6 points of slashing and bludgeoning damage and are knocked prone, reflex DC 21 for half and negates prone.
Claw Slam (Ex) As a full round action, the Greviar Arm can designate a 10 foot by 10 foot space. All within take 4d8+6 points of damage and are knocked prone, reflex 19 for half and negates prone. The 10 foot square and all squares adjacent to it are now treated as difficult terrain.
Electrical Engine (Su) The Greviar’s electrical engine, located on its back has AC 18, and total cover from anyone in front of the Greviar. It has a hardness of 10, and 30 hp. The first time the engine is damaged, the Greviar losses 5 shock points and it’s spell resistance. Once the engine is destroyed, the Greviar immediately dies.
Also, rules for grabbing onto monsters (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Races_of_War_(3.5e_Sourcebook)/Advanced_Combat#Special_Attack_Actions) (integral to the system)
So, now that I've said all of that, does anyone have any feedback? Any tips or oversights I might have made? I intend to man-up and submit a stat block for the Playground to judge, but for the time being, I'm still working on it.
So, in other words, post away!

radmelon
2012-02-16, 09:59 PM
This is actually a pretty cool idea. I'm intrigued to see what you'll do with it.

Grinner
2012-02-16, 10:29 PM
You might want to look into a sourcebook called The Book of Iron Might for inspiration. As I recall, it had some great mechanics for things like this.

Milo v3
2012-02-17, 02:42 AM
Their is one rather large problem with this. This makes it very hard for martial Class who will generally have to get close to deal any damage and based on the size of the creature it could only attack one part of the body per turn.

Compare that to a wizard, can use spells at a range so they aren't threated by the creature. Secondly spells deal alot more damage than weapons. Thirdly their spells can can attack large areas each round.

And while you may say that this problem is everywhere in DND, please note that while a wizard is only slightly weakened by an Awesome creature like this, a martial class is severally hampered further.

Prime32
2012-02-17, 07:52 PM
"You can only fight this bodypart because you're on the platform" doesn't work so well when you have multiple PCs fighting it at once, some of whom can fly or pass through walls. Some of the hydra's mechanics could be adapted for this.

spells deal alot more damage than weapons.:smallconfused:

Doorhandle
2012-02-17, 11:08 PM
Assuming this isn't fourth edition, how would save-or-dies work?

I imagine if one part failed it's save against, say, flesh to stone, it would take one round for it to spread to other parts of the body one by one, and they get to make each of their own saves in turn. If successful, then the S.O.D doesn't spread, but the entire, say, arm is still out of commission, so still a win for the wizard. If the body part fails it's save, the S.o.D spreads, to influence more body parts.

As for the melee problem, have climb checks to stay on the creature. Depending on positioning, this could mean that the fighter would have full/partial cover against some of the creature's attacks, and immumity against the attacks of the limb/head they are standing on, unless the limb is something like a boneless tenacle.

Also balanced by the fact something this huge would have INSANE reach, and would be able to reach the ranged attackers. If not, it will probably have a rock hurl or laser eyes which will also cause A World Of Hurt(T.M), and the archer so far away will probably not be in reach of a cleric if they are that far.

Also I would think different body parts would have different immunity. Mind-effecting effects would only affect the head/brain, the outer skin immune to sneak attack but not the eyes, ECT.

Kymme
2012-02-18, 08:09 PM
Assuming this isn't fourth edition, how would save-or-dies work?
Its not for 4.0

I imagine if one part failed it's save against, say, flesh to stone, it would take one round for it to spread to other parts of the body one by one, and they get to make each of their own saves in turn. If successful, then the S.O.D doesn't spread, but the entire, say, arm is still out of commission, so still a win for the wizard. If the body part fails it's save, the S.o.D spreads, to influence more body parts.
I think that the sheer EPICNESS of these bosses makes them immune to S.O.D.s. :smalltongue:

As for the melee problem, have climb checks to stay on the creature. Depending on positioning, this could mean that the fighter would have full/partial cover against some of the creature's attacks, and immumity against the attacks of the limb/head they are standing on, unless the limb is something like a boneless tenacle.

Smart idea, but I'm personally a little iffy on the rules for treating the monster as its own terrain piece. Fits the fluff, though.

Also I would think different body parts would have different immunity. Mind-effecting effects would only affect the head/brain, the outer skin immune to sneak attack but not the eyes, ECT.

Already ahead of ya. Get it? A-HEAD :smalltongue:
Anywho, i like everyones suggestions, and I do inted to upload my first boss in the next few days, but I don't exactly know what to do about the stat block. I intended to use the Delve Format, but im not very good with the forum tools. Anyone have any suggestions on how to create a stat block for these monsters?
*pun alert

Cieyrin
2012-02-19, 09:15 AM
Anywho, i like everyones suggestions, and I do inted to upload my first boss in the next few days, but I don't exactly know what to do about the stat block. I intended to use the Delve Format, but im not very good with the forum tools. Anyone have any suggestions on how to create a stat block for these monsters?

This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313) has always worked well as a good starting point, though there are a couple errors here and there that I wish Fax would fix (the break in BAB on each of the class tables, I'm looking at you. :smallyuk:). I don't think there's a similar issue with the monster block but I'd have a look over it.

Nihilarian
2012-02-19, 10:11 PM
This is an excellent idea. I'd love to see this come to fruition.

Kymme
2012-02-19, 10:58 PM
Presenting.....
The Greviar!
An earsplitting roar emits from behind the iron shod portcullis. Then, with a loud cranking sound, the gate opens. Emerging from the gate is a creature of nightmares. The catlike creature is over 40 feet from head to tail tip, with bony ridges on its eyebrows and chin. A mechanical apparatus runs down from its false steel ear to its electric blue clockwork eye. Wires go from the eye to a pulsing blue tower grafted into its arched back. The tower has wires that connect to its left arm, which seems entirely mechanical, with hissing steam and screeching joints. Electricity dances along its entire body, emanating from the crackling tower.
Stats Follow
Greviar Head
Large Magical Beast
HD 4d10+12 (40)
Speed --
Init: +3
AC 20; touch 12; flat-footed 17
(-1 size, +4 natural, +4 barding, +3 dex)
BAB +3; Grp +14
Attack Bite +6 (1d8+4, 20/x2 + electrifying touch) or
Attack Spit Spark +6 touch (3d8, 20/x2)
Full-Attack Bite +6 (1d8+4, 20/x2 + electrifying touch)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 30 ft.
Special Attacks Electrifying touch, improved grab
Special Qualities immune to death effects, electricity, DR 5/-, SR 14, shock points
Saves Fort +6 Ref +3 Will +7
Abilities Str 16, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 12
Skills Spot +10, Listen +10
Feats Ability Focus (breath weapon), Improved Grapple

Greviar Arm (2)
Huge Magical Beast
HD 6d10+18 (48)
Speed --
Init: +0
AC 16; touch 8; flat-footed 16
(-2 size, +4 natural, +4 barding)
BAB +4; Grp +18
Attack Claw +10
Full-Attack Claw +10
Space 20 ft.; Reach 45 ft.
Special Attacks Forearm swipe, claw slam, electrifying touch
Special Qualities immune to: mind affecting ablilities, electricity, death effects, DR 5/-, SR 14
Saves Fort +12 Ref +9 Will +6
Abilities Str 22, Dex 10, Con 16, Int -, Wis -, Cha -
Skills none
Feats Improved Natural Attack, Weapon Focus (claw), Ability Focus (forearm swipe)

Environment Any Evil place
Organization none?
Challenge Rating 7
Treasure Triple Standard
Alignment CE
Advancement none
Level Adjustment none

The Greviar is the newest in large, hero-killing monstrosities for the upcoming evil overlord. It is manufactured by the Trizzet Empire, and shipped in large, frightening crates, to maximise the coolness of its unveilment.

Combat
Electrifying Touch (Su) The Greviar’s Natural attacks are infused with electricity, which arcs out whenever it attacks. The Greviar’s bite and claw attacks deal and extra 2d6 points of electricity damage.
Breath Weapon (Su) The electric engine that keeps the Greviar alive also gives it the ability to launch a 40 foot cone of electricity for two Shock Points. All within the cone take 4d8 points of electricity damage, reflex DC 20 for half.
Shock Points (Su) The electric engine on a Greviar’s back gives it the ability to use Shock Points. . These 15 Points can each be spent once per day in one of 3 ways, each as a full round action on the head’s turn. 1 point can be spent to charge the Greviar’s claws and teeth, activating electrifying touch until the Greviar Head’s next turn. 2 points can be spent to launch the Greviar’s breath weapon. If both the arms and the head spend a full round action, the Greviar can expend 3 Shock Points to heal 45 hit points to its head and arms.
Forearm Swipe (Ex) As a full round action, the Greviar Arm can designate a 30 foot cone in front of it. All those in the cone take 4d8+6 points of slashing and bludgeoning damage and are knocked prone, reflex DC 21 for half and negates prone.
Claw Slam (Ex) As a full round action, the Greviar Arm can designate a 10 foot by 10 foot space. All within take 4d8+6 points of damage and are knocked prone, reflex 19 for half and negates prone. The 10 foot square and all squares adjacent to it are now treated as difficult terrain.
Electrical Engine (Su) The Greviar’s electrical engine, located on its back has AC 18, and total cover from anyone in front of the Greviar. It has a hardness of 10, and 30 hp. The first time the engine is damaged, the Greviar losses 5 shock points and it’s spell resistance. Once the engine is destroyed, the Greviar immediately dies.

Doorhandle
2012-02-20, 04:10 AM
Becasue of the way D&D is different from other games, I think you should give stats for the creature's main body as well. Players are not going to accept it if you hit it's body and somehow do no damage, and you just know the rouge is going to tray flanking the entire thing.

In addtion, I really think making rules for climbing beasties would be a good idea, as it would also get used with core monsters. It would work best in pathfinder, as you could just use a creature's C.M.D (Possibly minus it's B.A.B) as the climb check, have the offending creature move into the monster's space and almost call it a day.

Also, why the giant zappakitty?

Prime32
2012-02-20, 08:22 AM
rules for climbing beasties
http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Races_of_War_%283.5e_Sourcebook%29/Advanced_Combat#Grapple

Kymme
2012-02-20, 11:09 AM
I think you should give stats for the creature's main body as well. Players are not going to accept it if you hit it's body and somehow do no damage, and you just know the rouge is going to tray flanking the entire thing.
Personally, i don't really think that giving the body stats will accomplish anything. The body will be out of reach the entire battle, and only killing the creatures weak points can kill it for real, anyways. On another note, i have decided to implement rules for climbing onto creatures. One upside to this is that now precision based classes can still function, because, when in the creatures space, it is flat-footed to them.

Also, why the giant zappakitty?
Tis a demonstration of a boss monster, my good man.:smallwink:

Nihilarian
2012-02-20, 12:46 PM
Archers and casters disagree with your statement; nothing is out of range.http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/andross.jpg

radmelon
2012-02-20, 01:33 PM
Why does the arm not have a listed space?

Kymme
2012-02-20, 03:58 PM
Why does the arm not have a listed space?
No idea.
Fixed!

hiryuu
2012-02-20, 07:03 PM
My quick-n-dirty solution was to give big monsters a lot of DR that required Climb, Jump, and/or Balance checks to overcome, and describing the DR as simply being a product of its size, which then causes the monster to thrash around, throwing PCs off of it and/or dealing damage, and its "attacks" are nothing of the sort, it's just trying to walk around, and the damage is from its feet. Worked out pretty well, since the object was to get inside it (the monster was the dungeon).

Kymme
2012-02-21, 07:32 PM
My quick-n-dirty solution was to give big monsters a lot of DR that required Climb, Jump, and/or Balance checks to overcome, and describing the DR as simply being a product of its size, which then causes the monster to thrash around, throwing PCs off of it and/or dealing damage, and its "attacks" are nothing of the sort, it's just trying to walk around, and the damage is from its feet. Worked out pretty well, since the object was to get inside it (the monster was the dungeon).
Whilst that is a solid idea, it may not function well for other types of bosses.
Also, would the boss just have to make opposed grapple checks to knock PCs off? :smallconfused:

Kymme
2012-02-27, 09:42 AM
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/andross.jpg

So...... There shouldn't even be a body? :smallconfused:

Kymme
2012-04-21, 10:40 PM
Bumb of great justice.

Lea Plath
2012-04-22, 02:49 AM
Why not have the bosses be the arena and the enemy? So you climb on its body to make your way to the tower. It can't roll over or it would crush the tower or something, so it tries to shake you off or something.