PDA

View Full Version : Crafting an item to keep PCs from dying

Ditto
2012-02-16, 09:28 PM
Hi-ho team. Got a puzzle for you. It may be that there are already items around that accomplish this niche, but I'm playing a crafting wizard and I want to get clever about it. I'm greatly afeared that PCs in our upcoming level 14 game will be killed at with some regularity. I'm hoping to make some items to mitigate that. (Most any spell list is on the table, the wizard can UMD scrolls from anywhere.)

Revivify is superior to Raise Dead, but the 'one round after death' casting time limitation is kind of tough to work with. Also, it brings you back to -1 HP, requiring another action to heal the erstwhile corpse and make them useful again.

Thoughts thunk so far:
- Item of Gentle Repose. This preserves a body for days/CL, which is great for the purpose of extending that '1 round after death' limit on Revivify. Making a ring of this or such gives plenty of time to cast.
- Contingent Revivify (or perhaps Revenance). Both of these spells have their benefits, but the quirk relies on triggering condition. Can you make a Necklace of Revivification that automatically goes off when the wearer is killed? (Compare ring of feather falling, activated when the user starts falling.)
- Contingent Delay Death. Delay Death has to be cast BEFORE the dying happens, but I'm not sure how to price (or craft) an item that has two spell effects built in, Contingency & Delay Death. Treat it as an item with multiple related effects? (100% most expensive cost +75% next most, +50% each subsequent effect)
- If you want to make the item rechargeable (assuming it's an spell that would be instantaneous or short-term effect), how would that mechanism work?

Any other ideas that would help the survivability of a party who is likely to encounter very deadly things would be greatly appreciated.

Ditto
2012-02-17, 02:29 PM
...so anybody else dealt with this problem, running PCs in highly lethal campaigns with no free-resurrection button available?

Johel
2012-02-17, 05:18 PM
Out of topic, the whole "Fast Ressurection" thing kinda destroys the whole drama associated with the death of a character.

---------------------

If you still want a custom made item to ressurect people at will, it is doable.
You could just hand them an item that :

Casts Psionic Revivify with up to 9 rounds delay, 1/day
Sucks 1.000 XP out of the user

This way, they still have to be carefull, as there's only 1 raise per day.
And they won't overuse it, as it will still drain a lot of XP.

Alternatively, you don't give them items and they just learn to stay alive.:smallwink: