PDA

View Full Version : Scorpion King Creature?

Elric VIII
2012-02-16, 11:33 PM
I'm looking for a specific type of creature, with the following chracteristics:

Human-Scorpion centaur-esqe creature.
CR 4-ish (or close enough/weak for its CR).
Preferably intelligent (i.e. able to take class levels).
Not a shapeshifter, like the Aranea.

I am not interested in replicating his powers (tbh, I don't even know what they are), I just want scorpion abominations. They are meant to be a swarm-like encounter in a small, limited-mobility area for level 8 PCs with very high stats. I want to have them take a few levels in Swordsage for the natural attack compatible Tiger Claw maneuvers, plus some Shadow Hand stuff, so that is why I need at least 3 Int.

Does such a monster exist?

Tvtyrant
2012-02-16, 11:35 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/scorpionFolk.htm

It is too high of a CR though....

Manateee
2012-02-16, 11:35 PM
Scorpionfolk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/scorpionFolk.htm) with its stats scaled down a bit, and the SLAs removed?

spelacnar
2012-02-16, 11:37 PM
Scorrow out of Secrets of Xen'Drik (pg81) may work. They are CR7, but could be tuned to meet your needs.

Tvtyrant
2012-02-16, 11:39 PM
You could also cheat and make an Anthro/Tauric-scorpion.

hivedragon
2012-02-16, 11:40 PM
There's the Tauric Creature template = MM2
Stringer = monsters of faerun
Master of flies = savage species
The there's secrets of xen'drik

nyarlathotep
2012-02-16, 11:42 PM
There was a scorpion-man type creature in Monsters of Faerun. Additionally the insectoid lycanthrope could be a werescorpion.

Elric VIII
2012-02-16, 11:48 PM
Tauric looks really good.

A Tauric Human/Large Monstrous Scorpion fits the base CR just right and I can simply add on class levels. I may use a Scorpionfolk as a boss for the encounter.

Although, it is vague about the size. I assume it uses the base creature's size and ignores the humanoid's size?

Just another quick one, where would I find rules for approximating CR based on environments, class levels, etc?

Tvtyrant
2012-02-16, 11:50 PM
Tauric looks really good.

A Tauric Human/Large Monstrous Scorpion fits the base CR just right and I can simply add on class levels. I may use a Scorpionfolk as a boss for the encounter.

Although, it is vague about the size. I assume it uses the base creature's size and ignores the humanoid's size?

Yup! So it would be a large creature.

CIDE
2012-02-18, 12:25 PM
I just know a scorpion-king-ish creature killed my Thri-kreen in an AD&D setting. I never saw its stats or picture or name though.

Venger
2012-02-18, 12:36 PM
I'm looking for a specific type of creature, with the following chracteristics:

Human-Scorpion centaur-esqe creature.
CR 4-ish (or close enough/weak for its CR).
Preferably intelligent (i.e. able to take class levels).
Not a shapeshifter, like the Aranea.

I am not interested in replicating his powers (tbh, I don't even know what they are), I just want scorpion abominations. They are meant to be a swarm-like encounter in a small, limited-mobility area for level 8 PCs with very high stats. I want to have them take a few levels in Swordsage for the natural attack compatible Tiger Claw maneuvers, plus some Shadow Hand stuff, so that is why I need at least 3 Int.

Does such a monster exist?

just use the stats for llhosk (mm3 p90), (it's a drider, but a gorilla) but change the fluff from being a gorilla body to a human body and the spider body to a gorilla body. it's CR4 and definitely a bit on the weak side. it's intelligent, and it's able to take class levels (+3 LA) and not a shapeshifter

there you go