PDA

View Full Version : PEACH This "Monk" Weapon

Deviston
2012-02-17, 03:08 AM
This is a combination of Pathfinder and Eberron (3.5). I have modified the Battlefist to be a hammer and for it to channel unarmed damage from the monk class as well as be considered a monk weapon. The hole purpose of this is flavor related, the monk is wonderful and all, but I didn't like the idea of punching everything all day (elbowing, headbutting, kneeing etc) so I worked it out with the DM that if the boards would sign off on this idea I could have it.

Battlehammer (semi-attached component)
This +1 weapon resembles a massively over-sized maul; one designed for a Medium warforged looks like a maul designed for an ogre. It is unwieldy and can be used with two hands for a Medium creature who is proficient with a maul with normal penalties for wielding a weapon not sized for them.
This is an item with two pieces. The pommel of the battlehammer contains a small disc that can be attached to the palm of a warforged. This must be done before the warforged can attune himself to the battlehammer.
A warforged monk who uses a battlehammer must spend 24 hours in uninterrupted concentration, and to attune himself to it. Once it is attuned, the warforged monk gains proficiency in its use and but may wield it with one hand as if he were a large creature. Additionally, instead of the standard statistics for a maul, the battlehammer has the statistics of the monk's unarmed attacks, up to and including increased monk unarmed damage critical range and damage type. The monk also calculates his unarmed damage as if he were one size larger when dealing damage with the battlehammer, and he can add the battlehammer's enhancement bonus to his attack and damage rolls with it.
Once attuned, the battlehammer also is treated as a monk weapon and can be used with flurry of blows and other abilities that monk weapons can be used.
If the battlehammer is found without the attuning disc or the attuning disc is lost, stolen, or destroyed the battlehammer functions as a +1 large maul until a new attunement disc is created. A new attunement disc can be created by a caster who meets the prerequisites to craft the battlehammer. The cost of a new attunement disc is 1000 gp.
Faint transmutation; CL 3rd; Craft Magical Arms and Armor, bull's strength, enlarge creature; Price 2,600 gp; weight 30 lb.
I can see no reason why this item would be imbalanced. It functions for all intents and purposes as a battlefist but is flavored as a maul. In addition, it has a drawback of being able to be disarmed as it is not an attached component (I wanted to be able to do cool spinny motions and toss it hand from hand and so forth). Additionally, it does not give the size increase of damage to his unarmed attacks, just attacks made with the battlehammer. May I get some critiques?

P.S.
The rules state that the battlefist can have higher enhancement bonuses. Does this also mean it can have other enhancements like the Flaming property or Calling? The precedence I have for that is the fact that the battlefist is thus: "looks like a gauntlet" and "resembles a massively over-sized spiked gauntlet". Spotty at best, however the mind does wonder.

Thanks in advance everyone.

EDIT: Made changes as per post #3. Also added the attunement disc.

Mangles
2012-02-17, 06:16 AM
This is much stronger than just a regular +1, the 600 extra doesn't seem to cover it.

A warforged monk who uses a battlehammer must spend 24 hours in uninterrupted concentration to attune himself to it.
I don't understand why the monk needs to be a warforged, there doesn't seem to be anything that would require that.

Once it is attuned, the warforged monk gains proficiency in its use and but may wield it with one hand as if he were a large creature.
Ditch the line "as if he were a large creature." There really isn't a need for it

Additionally, instead of the standard statistics for a maul, the battlehammer has the statistics of the monk's unarmed attacks, up to and including increased monk unarmed damage critical range and damage type.
Since you have to be a monk to attune anyway just add in here that the battlehammer does the damage of a monk's unarmed attack. I don't see why the crit range or damage type should change.

The monk also calculates his unarmed damage as if he were one size larger when dealing damage with the battlehammer, and he can add the battlehammer's enhancement bonus to his attack and damage rolls with it.
I don't know why he needs to add the battlehammers enhancement bonus to his attacks seeing as he would already be doing that because he is attacking with the battlehammer. The large thing is fine.

Once attuned, the battlehammer also is treated as a monk weapon and can be used with flurry of blows and other abilities that monk weapons can be used.
This is fine

Deviston
2012-02-17, 11:22 AM
This is much stronger than just a regular +1, the 600 extra doesn't seem to cover it.
Then why is this the pricing for the battlefist?

I don't understand why the monk needs to be a warforged, there doesn't seem to be anything that would require that.
I'll amend the item so that it specifies warforged a little better. And the reason why it must work only for warforged, is because a generic monk buffing item would increase the pricing tremendously.

Ditch the line "as if he were a large creature." There really isn't a need for it
Copy.

Since you have to be a monk to attune anyway just add in here that the battlehammer does the damage of a monk's unarmed attack. I don't see why the crit range or damage type should change.
Because if the crit does not change this item would buff the monk's unarmed crit to x3 which the battlefist does not do erego price increases once again.

I don't know why he needs to add the battlehammers enhancement bonus to his attacks seeing as he would already be doing that because he is attacking with the battlehammer. The large thing is fine.
Good point lol, just trying to keep as much of the battlefist wording.

Thanks for the PEACH, but to further posters, if you wouldn't mind please add how you would change the item to get the desired results.