PDA

View Full Version : amusing typos

Venger
2012-02-17, 03:45 AM
we're all aware of the famous and/or seemingly intentional ones, such as deja vu being printed twice in the xph in the powers section, but there are a couple others I've foud and maybe that others have found that are equally if not more amusing:

Multiple concealment conditions (such
as a defender in a dog and under the effect of a blur spell) do not
stack.

Unfortunately,
this power comes along with the temptation to embrace portions
of their heritage that are truly evil (suck as the Illithid
Extraction feat, page 61).

and my favourite:

Threat the
coast as a shirt or vestment for determing whether it can
be worn with other magic items.

anyone else have some funny typos?

Ceaon
2012-02-17, 05:37 AM
(..) couple others I've foud and (...)

Found one!

Yuki Akuma
2012-02-17, 05:44 AM
I found one!

In the Expanded Psionics Handbook, in the list of powers, is a power called Deja Vu.

One page later, there's a power called Deja Vu.

What a hilarious typographical error!

(Oh God I'm referencing a thread from three years ago.)

Ceaon
2012-02-17, 05:54 AM
we're all aware of the famous and/or seemingly intentional ones, such as deja vu being printed twice in the xph

I found one!

In the Expanded Psionics Handbook, in the list of powers, is a power called Deja Vu.

One page later, there's a power called Deja Vu.

What a hilarious typographical error!

(Oh God I'm referencing a thread from three years ago.)

It's a deja vu deja vu deja vu!
Deja vu.

Kol Korran
2012-02-17, 07:31 AM
not entirely on topic, but there are some but there are some "missprints" in games too.

in one of our latest games we had a prisoner bound. when one of the party member said "ok, he told us everything, cut off his nuts"... this is a mild player, we were all kind of stunned. :smalleek: "You're sure you want to do that?"

but as is the case, we are Hebrew speakers, and he tried to translate directly to English. the intended sentence (which took a bit too figure out) was "he told us everything, cut off his knots" :smallwink:

then there is the mixing of "grease" and "lubricate". but that's a different story.

panaikhan
2012-02-17, 08:05 AM
In one of the compendiums (2E I think) someone had decided to spellcheck, and change 'mage' to 'wizard'.
Unfortunately, computers being what they are, it was a little more thorough than was intended.
Thus in several places were phrases such as "This deals 6D6 points of dawizard"

sonofzeal
2012-02-17, 08:16 AM
not entirely on topic, but there are some but there are some "missprints" in games too.

in one of our latest games we had a prisoner bound. when one of the party member said "ok, he told us everything, cut off his nuts"... this is a mild player, we were all kind of stunned. :smalleek: "You're sure you want to do that?"

but as is the case, we are Hebrew speakers, and he tried to translate directly to English. the intended sentence (which took a bit too figure out) was "he told us everything, cut off his knots" :smallwink:

then there is the mixing of "grease" and "lubricate". but that's a different story.
On that note, apparently in some regional dialects, the word for undead spellcasters is pronounced similar to the word "leak". With that in mind, it's a good idea to double check before trying to "plug" one with your finger.

Thurbane
2012-02-17, 09:50 AM
My personal favorite was a an official TSR folio of blank AD&D character sheets (the one with Rufus and Byrne on the cover), and the back cover said something to the effect of "For further information, see the Player's Handcook".

I always had a mental image of a DM forcibly holding a player's exposed hand over a stove top yelling "Damn it, hold still! I really need to see your hand cook, OK?". :smalltongue:

Jack Zander
2012-02-17, 10:08 AM
In OA, the ninja-to has a crit range of 19-29. Normally this wouldn't really affect anything, but when you make the weapon keen, it doubles the range from 19-29 to 8-29.

mikau013
2012-02-17, 11:38 AM
I like the Scorpion-tail whip from it's hot outside.
Dmg: Small - 1d33
Medium - 1d43

onemorelurker
2012-02-17, 12:01 PM
There's a pretty cool picture of something called the "Staff of Clory" in Arms & Equipment, but my group has never been able to find its text entry... :smallwink:

Ravellion
2012-02-17, 12:17 PM
I think it was Magic of Faerun which had an "Undead Band Weapon" as a caption to an illustration. I wonder whether the band would play lively music? :smalltongue: *groan*

Venger
2012-02-17, 12:49 PM
I like the Scorpion-tail whip from it's hot outside.
Dmg: Small - 1d33
Medium - 1d43

just like vigilantes have 20 3rd level spell slots at level 7 and 33 at level 10

hex0
2012-02-17, 07:07 PM
just like vigilantes have 20 3rd level spell slots at level 7 and 33 at level 10

If your DM is strictly RAW, play a Vigilante with Arcane Strike who wields a Scorpion Tail Whip. Go to your local technical college and have them make a 43-sided die (they will a 3D printer). Go to town.

Thurbane
2012-02-17, 07:09 PM
If your DM is strictly RAW, play a Vigilante with Arcane Strike who wields a Scorpion Tail Whip. Go to your local technical college and have them make a 43-sided die (they will a 3D printer). Go to town.
Actually, one of the guys I game with has a 3D printer, I should see if he can make a d43! :smalltongue:

Cicciograna
2012-02-17, 07:13 PM
Not a published typo, but one that occurs frequently on this board - the one that transforms a stealthy, backstabbing thief in a cosmetic feminine product.

Thurbane
2012-02-17, 07:22 PM
...and also the ever present Factorum, whatever that is. :smallbiggrin:

I kind of wish they had stuck with the pre-release name for the Factotum, which was the Journeyman.

SiuiS
2012-02-17, 08:11 PM

I kind of wish they had stuck with the pre-release name for the Factotum, which was the Journeyman.

It's obviously the singular for Factora. :smallbiggrin:

motoko's ghost
2012-02-17, 09:03 PM

Wait you're saying that's not how it's spelt!

:smalltongue:

navar100
2012-02-17, 09:19 PM
Table of random personality types option 100: No sense of humor. See 26.

Proof Pelor is evil, his cleric Jozan casts a Symbol of Pain.

Daftendirekt
2012-02-17, 09:22 PM
Another common forum typo is the Incantrix.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-17, 09:24 PM
Table of random personality types option 100: No sense of humor. See 26.
That's not a typo, that's intentional.

Proof Pelor is evil, his cleric Jozan casts a Symbol of Pain.

And Dread Necros can be neutral. I'm pretty sure Jozan is neutral, since it's one step away from NG.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-02-17, 09:27 PM
True but Jozan is a cleric not a Dread Necro....

Thurbane
2012-02-17, 09:36 PM
Well, there's the myriad of example PrC NPCs that fail to meet the reqs of the PrC they represent. Fiend Blooded springs to mind.

PHB2 has a picture of Lady Sorra, given a stat block as a Human Knight, despite the fact that she has decidedly pointy ears in her picture (elf or half-elf).

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-17, 09:38 PM
Well, there's the myriad of example PrC NPC that fail to meet the reqs of the PrC they represent. Fiend Blooded springs to mind.

The sample kensai also fails. He doesn't have the arbitrary prereq of ride ranks.

navar100
2012-02-18, 12:25 AM

And Dread Necros can be neutral. I'm pretty sure Jozan is neutral, since it's one step away from NG.

As is Deja Vu given by the OP.

Venger
2012-02-18, 01:08 PM
Another common forum typo is the Incantrix.

where's the typo? you mean since most people use male PCs that they should be calling them Incantaters lke the book does?

(checks)

(sees it's actually Incantatrix)

well how about that? I have seen incantatrix discussed more times than I can remember on this board and I have never seen anyone remember the 'ta'. I'd always been reading it as incantatrix because it's not a real word so I never mentally checked the spelling as one does for rogue/rouge.

intentional stuff's fine, like deja vu, that fits with the spirit just fine. I just went with typos so the thread title wouldn't be too long.

hex0
2012-02-18, 01:16 PM
Actually, one of the guys I game with has a 3D printer, I should see if he can make a d43! :smalltongue:

I want to see this sooooo bad.

lesser_minion
2012-02-18, 02:11 PM

Clerics are expressly forbidden from being true neutral unless their deity is. In any event, the reason for the 'error' is that the spell was considered neutral when Jozan cast it back in 3.0.

As for "threat the coast as a shirt or vestment", that would be "treat the coat as a shirt or vestment for the purposes of determining whether or not it can be worn with other magic items". It's talking about its magic item slot.

My personal favourite is still the 'iWizard' Search & Replace story (mentioned above, and I believe SoZ or Swordguy has a link to the whole thing).

Linkscoolfriend
2012-02-18, 02:12 PM
I think it was in the original 3e Players Handbook that the barbarian ability description for rage had an amusing cutoff. The type read: "The barbarian can fly" and then cut off to a picture of Krusk raging out. The text continued further down the picture, I just always found that funny. Ah, the many jokes that birthed at our table of the Flying Barbarian and his Merry Band...