PDA

View Full Version : Your Favourite Modules/Adventures?

Shoot Da Moon
2012-02-17, 06:58 AM
As per the thread title, discuss what pre-written scenarios you liked, regardless of system.

I liked two corebook adventures from the Call of Cthulhu game; The Haunting and The Edge of Darkness, both of which lent themselves well to a creepy investigation that dovetailed beautifully into shocking violence.

Return to Keep on the Borderlands, while I haven't played yet, seems like a really cool improvement over the original 1st edition one, because it added fun and interesting details to the titular keep and the dungeon complex.

What about yours?

stack
2012-02-17, 08:16 AM
I think it would be Kingmaker, if I could ever get past the second fight before the PBP fell apart. I'm enjoying running Expedition to Castle Ravenloft.

Siegel
2012-02-17, 09:00 AM
The first 2 official modules for the Dresden Files RPG. Really really like them.

navar100
2012-02-17, 09:27 AM
Sunless Citadel - I like Meepo! My group at the time became honorary members of the Kobold Tribe because we successfully rescued their "pet" and defeated the goblins for them so that they took final control of the Citadel.

Saltmarsh U1, U2, U3 - It was a blast to play. It was cool to win the Lizardmen's trust. The pseudodragon chose my paladin as his "mount".

some guy
2012-02-17, 12:47 PM
I liked two corebook adventures from the Call of Cthulhu game; The Haunting and The Edge of Darkness, both of which lent themselves well to a creepy investigation that dovetailed beautifully into shocking violence.

I've ran The Haunting now, I don't know, 5 times? Love it. Every time I add a little bit of spookyness. The Edge of Darkness was fine, but I was less impressed with it. When I ran The Crook'd en Crack'd Manse, even I as GM got a bit scared (we played it in an old house, that helped).

Gorgon_Heap
2012-02-17, 01:26 PM
Original Keep on the Borderlands.

I have a family-heirloom original 1st edition module that I've modified and am now running for a second time with 3.5.

It's just huge, got tons of stuff, easily changed for various settings and reckless adventure or intrigue, and is just great fun while being simple.

LansXero
2012-02-17, 01:43 PM
Death in Freeport. Dont know what it is about it, perhaps that it isnt a proper module (there is no dungeon, and no dragons) but instead more of a playable short story...

Totally Guy
2012-02-17, 01:50 PM
The Gift is a Burning Wheel scenario in which a diplomatic envoy of elves visit the halls of the newly crowned dwarven prince.

The elves forget to bring a gift. But the dwarves notice the elven prince's exquisite mithril armour... and they want it.

It's so open ended. The players spin this basic premise into all kinds of directions. The roleplay is really heavy by necessity and it showcases just how well PVP can work in such a scenario.

SleepyShadow
2012-02-17, 02:02 PM
Against the Giants is always fun.

Tomb of Horrors is good for a laugh.

I'm currently running Die Vecna Die and so far it's pretty good.

Perhaps a bit of nostalgia, but I was always fond of the adventures in the 2nd Edition boxed set.

Bastian Weaver
2012-02-17, 03:11 PM
MSH Breeder Bombs. Meet Fluffy. He's a stainless steel lion, made for the single purpose of fighting against, well... you.

Aidan305
2012-02-17, 07:33 PM
I rather enjoyed B1: In Search of the Unknown. My favourite, however, is Squaring the Circle from Hellbound: The Blood War. That scenario is amazingly awesome.

Manateee
2012-02-17, 10:42 PM
The Devil's Tower series of Deadlands Modules is pretty fantastic. Especially the first two sections. Lots of interaction with the setting lore, lots of shoot em ups, sleazy settlers, crazy cultists, robot undead, etc. It's probably the best summary of the game and its environment that I can think of.

And Fiasco's Last Frontier playset. The game experience is pretty dependent on the players, but this playset prompted more memorable scenes than any other I can think of. Including scoobie-doo styled hijinks in search of a mermaid (or drowning yeti... nobody was really quite sure), a truckload of stolen souvenir cartoon mosquito/"Got Blood" t-shirts as a macguffin and a cold-blooded axe-murderer who drifted to the safety of an Arctic Cruiseliner atop the last crate of the loot.

kyoryu
2012-02-18, 12:29 AM
The Gift is a Burning Wheel scenario in which a diplomatic envoy of elves visit the halls of the newly crowned dwarven prince.

The elves forget to bring a gift. But the dwarves notice the elven prince's exquisite mithril armour... and they want it.

It's so open ended. The players spin this basic premise into all kinds of directions. The roleplay is really heavy by necessity and it showcases just how well PVP can work in such a scenario.

I'm running this in two weeks :smallbiggrin:

Mordar
2012-02-18, 12:30 AM
Wow, tons of favorites, mostly from AD&D days though...

The original Ravenloft may be the most innovative module ever made for the (A)D&D franchise. I also loved Pharaoh, the slave lords saga (A1 through A4), and the uber saga starting with Against the Giants followed by the Drow stories, and concluding with the Queen of the Demonweb Pits (G1-3, D1-3, Q1).

Keep on the Borderlands (from the red box) and Isle of Dread (from the blue box) will always be very important to me...and Keep is actually a great, if now cliched, starter adventure.

Lots of great Marvel Super Heroes modules out there from way back in the day...Call of C'thulhu and Deadlands have some that are just plain fun to read even if you don't get to play them...especially the world-spanners like Masks of Nyarlathotep.

Ah...rememberies...

Totally Guy
2012-02-18, 03:03 AM
I'm running this in two weeks :smallbiggrin:

I'm thinking of running it at a con in March. :smallsmile:

Siegel
2012-02-18, 07:37 AM
I will run The Sword next tuesday

Totally Guy
2012-02-18, 07:41 AM
I will run The Sword next tuesday

I ran that at the last UK forum meetup. Castaras played Ssisz the roden cultist and escaped with the sword leaving the others stumbling in the darkness for a long time.

We used the Fight mechanics briefly at the start but the murderous intent of both parties subsided after Robard tackled Ssisz to the ground.

kyoryu
2012-02-19, 12:05 AM
I ran that at the last UK forum meetup. Castaras played Ssisz the roden cultist and escaped with the sword leaving the others stumbling in the darkness for a long time.

We used the Fight mechanics briefly at the start but the murderous intent of both parties subsided after Robard tackled Ssisz to the ground.

I just ran it today (extended) and it went pretty well. We called the session after about three hours, when Ssisz led the party to a cultist burrow underground :smallbiggrin:

It's interesting watching players who have never played anything but D&D adapt to the system. Getting them into Intent/Task and out of "look at my sheet" seemed to be the biggest hurdle.

DigoDragon
2012-02-20, 09:09 AM
A while ago I ran Goodman Games' Talons of the horned King (http://www.amazon.com/Dungeon-Crawl-Classics-36-Talons/dp/0977960234). My players had a blast of it, kinda literally toward the end there. :smalltongue:

vhfforever
2012-02-20, 02:30 PM
The St. Claire Incident, the 'case' in the back of the Project Twilight book for WtA Second Edition. I've run it more times than I can count, even with the same group several times. All have had a blast, and yet none have ever managed to finish it.

SleepyShadow
2012-02-20, 02:50 PM
Wow, tons of favorites, mostly from AD&D days though...

The original Ravenloft may be the most innovative module ever made for the (A)D&D franchise. I also loved Pharaoh, the slave lords saga (A1 through A4), and the uber saga starting with Against the Giants followed by the Drow stories, and concluding with the Queen of the Demonweb Pits (G1-3, D1-3, Q1).

Keep on the Borderlands (from the red box) and Isle of Dread (from the blue box) will always be very important to me...and Keep is actually a great, if now cliched, starter adventure.

Lots of great Marvel Super Heroes modules out there from way back in the day...Call of C'thulhu and Deadlands have some that are just plain fun to read even if you don't get to play them...especially the world-spanners like Masks of Nyarlathotep.

Ah...rememberies...

I have to agree with you on all counts. That old blue box ...

One series of modules that I forgot to mention in my earlier post is the Slaver series (A1-A4). It's great :smallbiggrin:

kyoryu
2012-02-20, 04:35 PM
I've gotta go with B2. Not that it's that awesome, but because it was my first exposure.

Balain
2012-02-22, 12:58 AM
D&D/AD&D
Keep on the Borderlands
Against The Giants/Drow series /Queen of the demon wen Pits
Expedition to the Barrier Peaks

Call of Cthulhu
The Haunting
There is one that was in 4th edition book, I can't recall the name and don't want to spoil it it, so if I remember I'll come back and edit my post.

DropsonExistanc
2012-02-23, 05:00 AM
I don't have a lot of experience with modules, as my early D&D group was heavily populated with fellow Writing 12 initiates, but I actually really enjoyed running the 4e Encounters season module Lost Crown of Neverwinter. For some perspective, the only 4e I do is for work, the rest of the time I'm 3.5/PF/nWoD/Fantasy Flight 40k stuff.

The only 4e game I'd participate in on my own time would be a home campaign rerun of that module, with license to go wild.

Can't compare it to Return to Keep on the Borderlands though, as I was in school for the run of that one and missed it.

dsmiles
2012-02-26, 07:04 PM
I love the d20 Iron Kingdoms series The Witchfire Trilogy. I've started to run it three times, but my group keeps moving away. :smallsigh: Hazards of military life, I guess.

Novawurmson
2012-02-26, 07:34 PM
I love Carrion Crown, but I haven't run it all the way through. My party is loving Rise of the Runelords currently.

SleepyShadow
2012-02-26, 07:35 PM
I'm a big fan of the old modules (obviously), so I'm rather disappointed that I forgot this one:

The Temple of Elemental Evil.