PDA

View Full Version : What's the most fun you've ever had playing D&D?

danzibr
2012-02-17, 08:32 AM
Personally, I've been a player very few times, so my most enjoyable D&D moment was as a DM.

The players lived in a mountain village. Kobolds moved in nearby one day, along with a green dragon. The dragon started messing up the village. The party did a lot of stuff, ultimately (around level 12), infiltrating the Kobold lair. They were disguised (magically) as Kobolds.

Ultimately they got down to the dragon's lair (they don't live in caves, but it was the only dragon miniature I had of the right size) and confronted her. I described the cave as being supported by four pillars. She had a bunch of Kobold lackeys, including, of course, sorcerers and archers and whatnot. It was my plan for it just to be a giant battle.

Anyways, one player had the idea of smashing the support pillars. He was a Goliath Barbarian. So he raged and attacked the pillar and I ad hoc'd some rules and ultimately they destroyed all the pillars while fighting off the Kobolds. Then they escaped.

Protoneiko
2012-02-17, 08:48 AM
One great time for me, I was playing a wilder. Now you my characters entire first level all the enemys negated my mind thurst, and I sucks in combat for the most part.

The DM had this grant scale battle against kobolds planned (they were all in a hut and were going to swarm out at us) At level 2 I pick control flames, and that tiny Level 2 spark set that hut aflame. Killed a total of 23 Kobolds... Mind you 13 were woman and children trying to flee in panic

Dairuga
2012-02-17, 09:37 AM
Okay.. So the most fun event I have ever had in a DnD Campaign... Let me tell you, the story of THE HAND!

I am a kobold. A kobold wizard. It is my only full and real character that I have played so far, as I have only had one... Real campaign, let us call it (One that have not been in whacky bizarroland). A kobold, two and a half foot tall, weighing twenty-five pounds.

Now, I bought myself a Heward's handy Haversack (It is a backpack, works much like a bag of holding), and since the kobold wizard does not have much constitution, he tires quickly. So, he gets this splendid idea: He jumps -into- the main pocket of the haversack. He is small stature, so he fit easily into the haversack's inner space. And he only weighted 25 lbs, so he was easily carried.

He got his Paladin friend to carry the haversack, and subsequently him, as they traveled trough the shadier reaches of town. Now, since the paladin was walking, the Kobold did not have to worry about walking at all, so instead, he decides to keep watch. His tiny eyes peering out from the haversack And what would you know. Out from the shadows, came a thief, sneaking up on them, armed with a gleaming dagger. So, since the Kobold saw the sneaking thief and not vice versa; Cue surprise round!

The kobold lifted one hand, held it out. Cast scorching Ray. The ray hit, the thief slumped over from the ray of fire, before the hand slowly retracted; having gotten its kill. The entire table started laughing. "THe hand claims another soul..." I say with shifty eyes, which spawned "THE HAND". Said in all caps and a scary voice. Cue the koblold leaping from the haversack; run over to the thief, rummage him in the matter of a few seconds; grab his pouch of gold, his dagger, and a healing potion before scurrying back into the backpack, hopping in without his ally hardly noticing; clutching his newfound treasures.

And from there on out, The kobold would always hold his hand out from the haversack, tilting his fingers forward, menacingly, curving it left and right to ward off potential attackers. Also accompanied with hissing noises.

This was taken to an even further level once the kobold got his hands on a "Necklace of Mage hand" or something akin to that. Hand of the wizard or something. It allows him to cast Mage hand at will. So, since he can ride his haversack, and his haversack only weights 5 lbs, he can effectively levitate himself off ground, hovering along the ground.

Add this to the fact that he keeps peering out from the top of the haversack, he only needs Fortification and such to be cast on the haversack, and then he have his impenetrable fortress of the Haversack, and an extended appendage that fires death-rays, while shouting "IN-CIN-ER-ATE. IN-CIN-ER-ATE!"

Kudos to anyone who gets the reference. XD

Ravellion
2012-02-17, 11:30 AM
DMing The Prince of Redhand. Now there's an adventure that stimulated both me and my players to really roleplay, well beyond our normal level. But really, the entire Age of Worms adventure path was fantastic up to and including that adventure. Too bad the Age of Worms took a big dive in quality after that though. Or maybe I just don't like DMing high level D&D.

danzibr
2012-02-17, 11:51 AM
[...]while shouting "IN-CIN-ER-ATE. IN-CIN-ER-ATE!"

Lords of Magic?

Btw, very cool story.

Oscredwin
2012-02-17, 12:03 PM
[...]while shouting "IN-CIN-ER-ATE. IN-CIN-ER-ATE!"

He would need a black glove on his hand to make it more like a plunger, shriek instead of shout, and chase around a Blue Box.

chaotician375
2012-02-17, 01:47 PM
Best D&D time ever.

We arrived in a port city having tracked one characters brother to the docks here (the entire story was centric around finding this guy) and tracked him down. He thought we where liars trying to get onto his ship and asked us to prove we didn't work or a rival pirate, so we decided to attack the opposing pirate fleet. The party consisted of a melee speced Dragon Shaman, a Barbarian 2 rouges and a jurry rigged good aligned necromancer (me). i go into the local graveyard and summon forth my army to attack the main ship from the water, while the barbarian and a rouge attacked sone of the outlying ships
the dragon shaman and other rouge went under water punching holes in the ships hull, right by the powder rooms, and putting black powder bombs in the holds, destroying the ships. After the Deathless had taken the main ship, and the rest where burning we attacked the captain with a metamagiced the heck outed magic missile, and the dragon shamans breath weapon, producing massive death.

total in game time elapsed 30 seconds.

veven
2012-02-17, 05:26 PM
Halfing Wizard/rogue Rory Greenholme and his traveling companions saved a man and his boy from some awful creatures in the river. The man happened to own a local tavern and invited us to come party with him at his tavern as a thank you. Good times were had by all. Rory drunkenly commissioned portraits of himself and his friends to be hung in the bar. I also convinced the tavern keeper to rename his bar the Green Home on the River (in honor of yours truly)
The next day we awoke hung-over and bid our new friends farewell, leaving to meet our contact for our next adventure. We arrived at his house to find him being accosted by imperial soldiers. The party decided we could find our own well but Rory had made a promise to help the man and felt he couldn't leave.
One shaped glitterdust and a teleport later and we were back at the Green Home on the River tearing down our portraits, painting over the new sign and throwing around all sorts of gold to make sure no one gave us up.

We snuck out of town and spent most of the campaign hiding from imperials all over. We were never sure if we were actually wanted or not be we didn't want to take the risk.

I had so much fun with that crazy little guy. Probably my favorite character.

Kaveman26
2012-02-17, 05:59 PM
A friends of mine used to play a halfling rogue Gilpin Burrows. One of the quirkier aspects of Gilpin is that he was fond of apples. I lost track of how many witty one liners he delivered to various npcs, big bads etc while munching on an apple. One day while our group (level 13 or so ) was travelling we spotted an apple tree. Gilpin being Gilpin flips out a dagger and throws it to cut down an apple. Turns out it was a Marilith in the guise of a tree, and the branches were her arms ( our dm apparently had enough apple sillieness) the whole encounter Gilpin taunts this demon relentlessly, we are cracking up at the table because our friend the DM is getting really frustrating that Gilpin is taking this all in stride. We force the Marilith to retreat and as she is teleporting out Gilpin shouts "ill bring you a nice juicy red apple with the stem still attached...ill shove that apple down your throat in the center of the Abyss if need be!"

For at least three months of game time this Marilith would periodically show up to harass us, sidetrack us from adventures and be a general nuisance. What felt like ages later (at least six month real time) we finish the campaign we had been running and as a kind of epilogue we are given a ring of three wishes. Gilpin smirks and wishes for the following

1. The Marilith that has been our reoccuring villian dimension anchored and delivered to our current location on our Plane

2. A dagger of demonbane

3. And a nice juicy red apple with stem still attached.

What started out as an in game curveball sprawled into a multi level recurring villian with tons of flavor and a fantastic final outcome. To this day whenever I think of a rogue I think of apples.

Hyde
2012-02-17, 06:30 PM
I give you the tale of Rocket Gnome.

Mind, this was 1st ed, where spell descriptions were entirely flavor, and the effects of which were left largely up to the DM. Central to this story was the idea that fireballs could create pressure.

We were in a Dwarven mountain, retrieving a crystalline power source they had stolen. The dwarves used a series of transport tubes that were about four feet in diameter, or large enough for the party to slip through.

The Crystal itself had a few properties- It prevented teleporting or other extradimensional movement in a space around it, and if it broke it would cause the equivalent of a nuclear explosion, and it could break from a fall of about four feet.

So we retrieve the crystal, and are making our way up one of the longer vertical transport tubes (400ft iirc). We get to the top, and realize the room we're in is surrounded by a horde of angry, angry dwarves. After some deliberation, we decide the best means of escape is to drop the crystal down the shaft, and hope that there's enough of a window between it breaking (thus nullifying the no-teleport field) and the explosion for us to get the heck out of dodge.

So we drop a rock down the shaft, to make sure it's clear, and then another for good measure. Our caster is ready to go, so we drop the crystal, so some math and teleport the fizz outta there.

Except we don't. A little too much time has gone by, or not enough, and the teleport fizzles. The Gnome rogue decides that he's gonna be the one that dies first, and dives headfirst down the hole after the crystal, in order to be closer to the inevitable explosion. The human fighter, decides he wants to be the next closest dead, and sits on top of the chute.

Now at the bottom of the chute, is the NPC wizard we maybe kind of forgotten about. So after being dazed by a rock hitting him in the head, he comes to his senses just in time to catch the crystal via mage hand. He goes to start up the chute, but hears something else plummeting down. In a moment of "Hell, no" He Time Stops, casts several delayed blast fireballs, and a shaped wall of force to seal the chute.

The resulting force is enough to cause the gnome to reverse direction up the chute, and end up knee-deep in the fighter's ass.

It took all of my ranger's 18/00 strength to separate the two.

And so, Rocket Gnome.

TypoNinja
2012-02-17, 08:05 PM
'My Pants' now live in imfamy.

So in one game, im playing a were tiger, quirk of the character is that he was turned to save his life, suffering from major level drain. We played this as serious directed amnesia. Joining a game in progress.

I was rescused by a 16 year old little girl, wizards apprentice, who's also managed to to set up a little merchant empire, complete with a fued with shady weapons cartel.

So this brings us to my first full moon, were on ship heading back to Waterdeep from Chult, middle of the night I turn into a tiger. Fail the save so I'm not aware of my actions that night.

Overnight I wander down into the hold, and eat a goat, the wizards familliar being a cat with an int score its decided that we both share a 'cat' language, though I speak/understand it without thinking about it due to the amnesia. Anyway familliar talks me into staying put in the hold so I don't freak people out (we had passengers on board).

The Wizards apprentice notices the extra tiger on board of course and decides to camp out in front of the door overnight.

So when morning rolls around I'm naked in the hold, next to an eaten goat, no memories of the previous night. I poke my head out the door and find her leaned up agaisnt the door (woke her up opening it). The following conversation ensues;

"Oh, did you see the tiger in there?"

"Nope, no tiger. You know what else isnt in here?"

"hmm?"

"MY PANTS!"

Than
2012-02-17, 11:44 PM
...while shouting "IN-CIN-ER-ATE. IN-CIN-ER-ATE!"

I'll take my kudos please you magical fleshy dalek.

But seriously mine was the party cleric deciding to fight the Megalodon that the DM made for scenery and stated out for giggles. They are CR11 and we were level 4 on a ship small enough to be eaten whole. The dwarf had a barrel of black powder the DM gave us as random loot a couple sessions earlier and he used it to rig up a couple of bombs. The fish failed every check (8) to get free from being beached on the local reef and bled out from the rending damage from the explosives he ate. Our DM was pretty mad because he then had to figure out some treasure but still refused to give exp for that.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-02-17, 11:46 PM
Add this to the fact that he keeps peering out from the top of the haversack, he only needs Fortification and such to be cast on the haversack, and then he have his impenetrable fortress of the Haversack, and an extended appendage that fires death-rays, while shouting "IN-CIN-ER-ATE. IN-CIN-ER-ATE!"

I'll take a kudos, please. :smalltongue:

Bard for Kicks
2012-02-17, 11:53 PM
Actually today!

Duskblade with a small earth elemental familiar burrows under all the traps inside the tunnel because it can pretty much swim through earth...it sets off (carefully, so it doesn't die) 17 lightning bolts, several fireballs, and a ton of arrows. Clearly, that duskblade was using his +5int score.

Then, our lawful good VoP monk falls for a more subtle traps, ends up having his hands ripped off and kneecaps ripped out. I rolled so high on my heal check that I was able to insert his kneecaps back in and sew it up without marring the skin too badly. Of course, his hands were still...kinda...limp and squishy on the floor. So, I cast "preserve organ" and my DM let me pretend that hands are organs...

DarkestKnight
2012-02-18, 01:24 AM
Playing a whisper gnome monk/ninja. there were thieves attacking some of the party up in the second floor of an inn and i wanted to make an impression. I asked the DM what kind of door it was that opened into the thieves room. He replied that it was a large thick oak door, and he noted that since was small and had a Str score of 12 there was no way i could kick the door open. I accepted this challenge. Making a move silently check i gently turned the door knob just enough so that it could be pushed open. Then i kicked it as hard as i could, yelling "Have at thee" and rolled intimidate. one thief was so scared that a 3 foot person just kicked the door open in such a manner that he jumped out the window, bull rushing the party wizard out said window in the process.

Drelua
2012-02-18, 02:58 AM
My favourite campaign was the Monks in Space. It was just me and my DM at my house between lunch breaks in high school, since we both had a really long break between classes, both playing monks. At this time I knew nothing about optimization, but we still knew monks weren't a great class, especially since we took the Vow of Poverty, but our ability scores were all 18s to alleviate some of the MADness of it all. Our characters were level 20s that had never left the monastery, so we had no idea how the world works. We traveled all across worlds, stole a spaceship, and eventually, at level 30, head-shotted the BBEG that had been messing with us for the whole game with a missile from our spaceship. We helped in a futuristic rebellion with thousands of anti-matter grenades, utterly disintegrating most of it. The whole campaign was ridiculously over-the-top, and it was amazing.

FearlessGnome
2012-02-18, 07:17 AM
Last session of my first campaign:
We finally reach the end of a Scary Dungeon, and are faced with a portal of some sort. DM is fairly benign, so we all go through.

Everyone exits through a different portal, each 10 feet above a narrow platform (above a dark abyss) that leads to the Final Battle in the center of the cavern. There's a 10 foot fall, and for giggles the DM has put a CR 1/2 goblin on each platform, to kick anyone who falls prone in the side.
The party Ranger is happy that she finally gets to face a goblin, as they are her favored enemy. Only, she fumbles the reflex save to avoid falling prone. The DM asks her to roll a new reflex save to avoid falling toward the edge of the platform. She fumbles. The DM asks her to roll a new reflex save to grab onto the ledge before falling to her Doom. She rolls a 2 on the die, which is not enough. The DM is hesitant to kill off a party member 3 minutes before the final battle, and rules that she is hanging onto the ledge by one finger, and will need to roll better on her next turn to avoid falling.

The goblin rolls a higher initiative than she does.

danzibr
2012-02-18, 08:48 AM
It took all of my ranger's 18/00 strength to separate the two.
That's an image I won't forget.

Hyde
2012-02-18, 06:20 PM
That's an image I won't forget.

Yeah, he was a werebear. Had to shift. It was... unpleasant.

marcielle
2012-02-18, 06:41 PM
Kraken attacked a level 3 party. I thought it was some manner or plot monster or railroad and was all but ready for the 'you wake up marooned' story but the rest of the team didn't seem to care how badly we were outmatched. We ended up fighting the Kraken, with me(monk) conveniently being up in the crows nest and out of tentacle range. Suddenly remembering the random tree token I had picked up last session, I whip it out, balance on the ledge of the crows nest and SURF THE ENSUING TREE DOWN UPON THE KRAKEN.

Rouge then ignites the ships entire supply of gunpowder onto the kraken.

DM facepalms as the level 3 party defeats CR 12 kraken without any casualties.

I couldn't stop laughing for half the session.

Jopustopin
2012-02-18, 06:56 PM
Kicking Down the Door (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871738/Kicking_Down_the_Door:_The_Journal)