PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 class selection help

chaotician375
2012-02-17, 10:06 AM
So I've been playijng D&D for a few years and resintly my girlfriend has decided to play as well. Shes used to NWOD and action adventure rpgs where the hero can do a bit of everything and still be overly effective. My question is, can do you know of any classes/builds that can do a bit of everything and still be at least moderately effective.

We just started a new game and we're at lvl 3.

Help is greatly appreciated

Namfuak
2012-02-17, 10:16 AM
Factotum/Chameleon is the obvious answer. Factotum is from Dungeonscape and Chameleon is from Races of Destiny.

Gwendol
2012-02-17, 10:39 AM
It depends on what is meant by a little of everything...

Clerics and druids typically cover all bases and does that well. That said, using the druid is more straightforward.
On the other hand, as was suggested she might want something more rogueish, and for that the Factotum or Bard could be a better choice. I suggest going through a couple of handbooks, and decide what it is exactly that she has in mind, to narrow down the selection a little.

Mystify
2012-02-17, 10:56 AM
What level(s)? Some things will be able to pull that off in the early game, but will fall apart in late game.

chaotician375
2012-02-17, 11:11 AM
What level(s)? Some things will be able to pull that off in the early game, but will fall apart in late game.

that is exactly what we're trying to avoid. I suggested rouge/sorcerer but she was addiment about not loosing spell casting capability too much (she tried an arcane trickster at the tail end of a lvl12 game and felt like a bad rouge and a bad wizard.)

the group has an agreement that the first character to die makes a divine caster since we have no healing capability at all :smalleek: so if its her(a serious possibility) then I'm gonna push cleric(or favored soul)/rouge to go into shadowbane stalker later.

Mystify
2012-02-17, 11:21 AM
So all levels. Ok.

In that case a factotum build is probably best suited to your needs.

As for your lack of a healer, make sure you have UMD and vigor wands, as well as healing belts and the like. You don't need a divine caster.

Slipperychicken
2012-02-17, 11:26 AM
Factotum12. Take Font of Inspiration (Google it) 3-4 times, use a gnomish quickrazor. Get a really high Int, Max Iaijutsu Focus and UMD, get wands of cure light/lessor vigor. Everything you wanted, and more.

gbprime
2012-02-17, 11:34 AM
My players are 8th level right now and are both astounded and amazed that one player is highly capable at everything.

Swashbuckler 3 - Cloistered Cleric 2 (Trickery, Rune, Knowledge Devotion) - Chameleon 3

But yes, Factotum is the simple answer while still being quite effective.

Gavinfoxx
2012-02-17, 02:32 PM
Human or Changeling Factotum, going into Chameleon (Some splatbook somewhere said that Able Learner should work with Human, Changeling, and Doplpegangers, and not just two out of three) with the Mindbender dip for Mindsight.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2720.0

Talionis
2012-02-17, 03:30 PM
Human or Changeling Factotum, going into Chameleon (Some splatbook somewhere said that Able Learner should work with Human, Changeling, and Doplpegangers, and not just two out of three) with the Mindbender dip for Mindsight.

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2720.0

Go high Charisma not high Intelligence and Dip one level of Marshall run the Aura that applies your Charisma modifier to all your Intelligence checks and you get Charisma to, Charisma, Strength, Dexterity, and Intelligence.

Mers15
2012-02-17, 03:34 PM
If you're playing with core classes, I'd go with a druid. Druids can do everything. In a few levels, she'll find she can sit back and Call Lightning or Summon Nature's Ally, or Wild Shape and get into the fray. Wild Shape also allows for some great scouting capabilities, so she could fit that role too. And the melee fighters in your party will be grateful of the flanking bonuses from her animal companion. Finally, if she wants to take on a healing role as well, check out the Spontaneous rejuvenation alternate class feature from PH2.

Psyren
2012-02-17, 03:36 PM
Seconding druid - it solves your divine caster problem and it's useful at all levels.

GnomeGninjas
2012-02-17, 06:12 PM
Seconding druid - it solves your divine caster problem and it's useful at all levels.

Plus turning into a bear is fun.

hex0
2012-02-17, 06:35 PM
Swashbuckler 3 - Cloistered Cleric 2 (Trickery, Rune, Knowledge Devotion) - Chameleon 3

Cool entry to Chameleon. I like Factotum 3/Psychic Rogue 2 as well. Even Factotum 3/Monk 2 is nice. Either is nice into any sneak PRCs that require 8 skills.

chaotician375
2012-02-18, 05:32 PM
Plus turning into a bear is fun.

Heck yeah it is!!!