PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Alchemist questions for on of my players, help me out.

Linkscoolfriend
2012-02-17, 02:17 PM
So I will be DMing a campaign starting around the beginning of March (same week Mass Effect 3 is released woot) and I have a player struggling with a character idea. The campaign will be a relatively straight forward D&D style setting, although the continent and inhabitants are all coming from my own mind rather than sticking to a pre-generated setting. The tech level will be restricted to ancient weapons such as guns being rare to find and even more so to learn to use and maintain. However, he wants to be a bomb chucker, which will be completely doable, since the Alchemist has rules for doing so.

My question: He wants to throw and make bombs as his specialty, going beyond the daily use put forth in the Advanced Player's Guide, and basically only being limited by the amount of supplies he can find/create. He has told me he doesn't want to go full on alchemy, and rather wants to be a technology buff.

TLDR: Player wants to play a bomb centered Alchemist, any suggestions on how I could fairly increase the number of explosives he can make/use per day?

jmelesky
2012-02-17, 02:42 PM
My question: He wants to throw and make bombs as his specialty, going beyond the daily use put forth in the Advanced Player's Guide, and basically only being limited by the amount of supplies he can find/create. He has told me he doesn't want to go full on alchemy, and rather wants to be a technology buff.

Well, if he puts ranks in Alchemy, he can use that to make Alchemist's Fire, Acid, Liquid Ice, and other splash weapons, contingent on materials and time. They won't progress in damage like the Alchemist's bombs, though. It wouldn't be hard to build a bomb-chucking rogue in this manner (rogues being the closest i can think of for a skill-centric tinkerer).

Alternately, homebrew up an alchemist archetype for him. Figure out what he doesn't want. Maybe he's willing to trade out Mutagen and Persistent Mutagen, Poison Resistance, Poison Use, and Swift Poisoning. In exchange, double the number of available bombs, bump the bomb damage die up to d8, a bonus to AC vs thrown weapons, evasion, maybe something else (all spaced out at the appropriate feature levels for the exchanged features).

The archetype system gives both you and him a large amount of flexibility. Feel free to use it.

Novawurmson
2012-02-17, 02:48 PM
Extra Bombs (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/extra-bombs).

There are a ton of Alchemist Discoveries that deal with bombs, as well.

Linkscoolfriend
2012-02-17, 02:52 PM
I was also debating removing spellcasting (and thus, removing extracts, but leaving mutagens, I think) in place of doubling said per day bomb use, perhaps even making actual bombs per day unlimited.

I debated this only because he specifically mentioned not wanting to play another "wizard type" of character, since his last guy was a half crazed wizard obsessed with collecting animals and following my paladin at the time.

Psyren
2012-02-17, 03:34 PM
Has he looked at the Grenadier archetype? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/archetypes/paizo---alchemist-archetypes/grenadier) It gives him a lot of flexibility around bomb use, including being able to drop a bomb at his feet and have it explode in a cone. And Alchemical Weapon may make him want to hang onto his alchemy skills (at later levels you can imbue an entire stack of arrows for instance.)

Linkscoolfriend
2012-02-18, 02:18 AM
Thank you, Psyren, I didn't even know about that archetype. Is it in a book? Sorry if that's a noob question, but I am relatively unfamiliar with Pathfinder, this will be my first time DMing a mainly PF game, so I don't know where everything is yet. :smallredface:

Edit: Typing from my phone. So many typos.

Psyren
2012-02-18, 08:43 AM
Thank you, Psyren, I didn't even know about that archetype. Is it in a book? Sorry if that's a noob question, but I am relatively unfamiliar with Pathfinder, this will be my first time DMing a mainly PF game, so I don't know where everything is yet. :smallredface:

I believe it's in here, (http://paizo.com/store/v5748btpy8g79) which means it's Pathfinder Society-legal as well.

Linkscoolfriend
2012-02-18, 09:40 AM
Many many thanks man. I think I have all I need for him to make his dream character, or decide he wants to roll a summoner lol.