PDA

View Full Version : Is every game this insane?

Lea Plath
2012-02-17, 02:42 PM
So I've been doing a bit of gaming on off for about a year now, but I've always been interested in gaming and I love all those insane GM/party anecdotes.

I played my first game about a year ago, and we stopped about 6 months ago because the GM had a kid. And I loved it, it was Dresden Files, it was fun, but nothing like some of the stories I've read.

Then about 6 weeks ago, I joined a game of Werewolf: The Apocalypse and from the get go, it was insane. When we rolled up the character, we were given 50 bonus points, not 15, which I was fine with.

Until our medical genius who is also our main fighter decided to take 50 wolves as his kinfolk. And these wolves get no respect, because after they refused to have UV torches stuck to their heads, they did let us give them little miners helmets. And now we have secretary wolves, builder wolves, butler wolves, YMCA wolves who dance for our amusement. We also have them using GPS, answering the phone and telling jokes :P We've even acted out conversation using wolf/dog noise.

We took over a house with a meth lab in the basement (still in working order) and fought off some vampires inside it, one of whom had toxic skin which lead to cascade of wolves throwing up, meaning we now have one unusable room.

Our best interrogation technique is to appear behind someone, give them a shoulder massage, kiss them on the cheek, then leave. We've did the old water bucket above the door trick to a vampire, setting his house up with load of pranks, then we got bored and killed him before he could set them off.

When I was away for a week or two, my bomb making character, they decided, was working on a bomb. Over the session, this turned into I was making a girl friend out of plastic explosive and I was packing on as much explosive as possible. For one particular vampire that week, they dressed up like school girls and waited in his house to deliver a surprise beating.

Our medical genius-bruiser now wears a papoose after he carried around a baby for a session and whenever we find a useful NPC, we wonder if we should papoose him. We also briefly wondered if we should open a day care centre staffed by wolves wearing furry papooses.

Anyway, just please tell me that there are more GMs as awesome as this one, and more groups that are like this group. Thanks! :smallbiggrin:

Kazyan
2012-02-17, 03:13 PM
During the last session of my V:tM game, one of my players blew up my possibly-BBEG's eldritch abomination by feeding it 300 pounds of C4. Does that count?

KillianHawkeye
2012-02-17, 04:08 PM
I don't get this.

Kinfolk aren't any smarter than normal wolves or humans. They're just wolves or humans that are related to were-wolves. Wolf kinfolk don't have opposable thumbs and can't use human technology any more than a normal wolf could. They can't dance or tell jokes any better than a normal wolf.

Radar
2012-02-17, 04:11 PM
Not every game goes as well as yours. One notable RPG legend would be the Old Man Henderson (http://forum.spiritsoffire.com/index.php?topic=3954.0).

LibraryOgre
2012-02-17, 05:15 PM
Every group is different. Some groups are more different than others. :smallwink:

Seriously, though, it varies widely. In high school, we tended to be a lot sillier. When I play with my friend from high school, I also tend to be sillier than with other groups. Some groups enjoy complex physics. Others enjoy complex plans. In Shadowrun, everything seems to be running one step ahead of Murphy; in L5R, we tend to be more mindful of our characters' dignities.

AntiHeart
2012-02-17, 05:41 PM
My group played a fantasy western campaign, in which one of the players played a bard who'd spend all of his starting gold (level 8) on a bag of holding and dynamite. Just dynamite. He was the strongest of us all.

Lea Plath
2012-02-17, 06:57 PM
I don't get this.

Kinfolk aren't any smarter than normal wolves or humans. They're just wolves or humans that are related to were-wolves. Wolf kinfolk don't have opposable thumbs and can't use human technology any more than a normal wolf could. They can't dance or tell jokes any better than a normal wolf.

This was part joke, part the GM found it funny and so we ran with it.

THE GPS WOLVES HAVE BEEN DISPATCHED FOR YOU! D:<

ForzaFiori
2012-02-17, 07:22 PM
I wish I could find a group like this. The best me and my group has done is build a handheld flamethrower out of a spritzer, lamp oil, a stick, wick, and some string.

Dimers
2012-02-17, 08:35 PM
Yeah ... in one Deadlands campaign I played, the first story arc ended with us sledding down a mountainside riding a naked, fat, unconscious nun to escape an explosion.

What? It's cool, she was a PC!

The Bandicoot
2012-02-17, 08:54 PM
There was one game I was involved with that by the second gaming session we had a half-dragon elf bard, a winged kobold sorcerer, a lich with a power-dampening ring bound to her, and a baby thats laugh did sonic damage. Two of those were NPC's

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-17, 09:01 PM
At some point, I want to play in a zombie-apocalypse game, GURPS or HackMaster or D20 Modern or D&D 3.5, just to see how many crazy Mcgyver rigs I can come up with.

Starscream
2012-02-17, 11:04 PM
Sounds like a blast.

I was once in a group where we did stuff like that; every session was basically an attempt to out-silly one another.

It was a GURPS game where everyone was playing an established cartoon or movie character, in a massive crossover with other cartoon characters.

I played Lupin III. Other characters were Gargamel from the Smurfs, Brain from Pinky and the Brain (until he died and was replaced with Deadpool), Johnny Five from Short Circuit, Doc Brown from Back to the Future, and Darkwing Duck.

Yes, this actually happened.

Our various adventures (mostly time travel related, since we had Doc Brown and all) were like episodes of Doctor Who written while on hard drugs.

* We helped Sherlock Holmes fight the Predator (who was Jack the Ripper's true identity)
* We joined Captain Hook's crew and killed Peter Pan (swear to God he had it coming). Also, Brain hooked up with Tinkerbell. She was pregnant when we left, and their kid may or may not grow up to be Mrs. Brisby (it was sort of implied).
* We prevented World War 2 from ever happening, but in its place there was a minor zombie apocalypse. Herbert West was involved.
* We stopped a Terminator from killing Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, which would have destroyed the world because we knew were in an RPG, which wouldn't exist without them. And turns out Johnny Five was the basis for all Terminators.
* I personally stole Scrooge McDuck's #1 Dime.
* Darkwing got beat up by Simon Belmont once.

Yeah...we weren't taking this very seriously.

Mystify
2012-02-18, 01:28 AM
I did a desert based campaign once. The party quickly developed a habit of turning everything dead into jerky. Including the druid.
Don't worry, they didn't eat it. They used it as food for their baby vultures.
That group later ended up with a flying seismosaurus.

Pokonic
2012-02-18, 01:47 AM
My group actualy killed a entire conclave of powerful vampires in the eastern hemisphere by, quite literaly, by having a statue in the center be a gigantic block of C-4, plus some unnamed stuff they picked up from a Hunter. The whole room went boom, along with a good chunk of the Kremlin. Turns out that every russian is actualy a werebear. Who knew?:smalltongue:

They also managed to trap a Mokolé and force it to summon a entire lakes worth of crocodilians to take down a evil group of redneck cultests. It later excaped and went Godzilla all on them, all while the PC's where a few feet underground in a hole.

Mystify
2012-02-18, 01:55 AM
Also, in our current campaign, our Druid is starting a fungus cult, and has become a proxy(?) of the fungus god.
And our cleric switches deities at the drop of a hat, and had started developing multiple personalities based on this. One of which seems to be level 16-ish and evil(this is a level 3 party).
We also lost 2 characters because they accidentally summoned Tenebrus, who dragged them away. This is what led to the level 16 personality; it worships Tenebrus.

LibraryOgre
2012-02-18, 10:23 AM
Also, in our current campaign, our Druid is starting a fungus cult, and has become a proxy(?) of the fungus god.

Proxy is the right word. Think "Divine Empowered Servant". Or, if you're of a more classical frame of reference, "Herald of Galactus." :smallbiggrin:

Grommen
2012-02-18, 11:22 AM
My friends main toon in our ongoing Shadowrun game thinks he is a Superhero. He is a Cartoon Shaman.

So far he has been 007, Green Arrow, Evil Caneval, Clark Kent (Note not superman cause he can't fly). He thought he was Darkwing duck for the longest time, but it turned out he was Daffy Duck

That was how he learned to fly by the way. By jumping off the moving ship we were on and yelling "Yonks and away!"

It was totally ok though. His best friend and my ongoing NPC/PC was a Jedi Master. Even enchanted his katana to make the sounds! :smallbiggrin:

Right now he is ruler of Greece, and goes by the name "Testaclese"

Mystify
2012-02-18, 04:38 PM
Proxy is the right word. Think "Divine Empowered Servant". Or, if you're of a more classical frame of reference, "Herald of Galactus." :smallbiggrin:

I put the question mark since the term was never used in-game, I had to infer it as a player. My character doesn't even know about it.

Lea Plath
2012-02-18, 05:33 PM
My friends main toon in our ongoing Shadowrun game thinks he is a Superhero. He is a Cartoon Shaman.

So far he has been 007, Green Arrow, Evil Caneval, Clark Kent (Note not superman cause he can't fly). He thought he was Darkwing duck for the longest time, but it turned out he was Daffy Duck

That was how he learned to fly by the way. By jumping off the moving ship we were on and yelling "Yonks and away!"

It was totally ok though. His best friend and my ongoing NPC/PC was a Jedi Master. Even enchanted his katana to make the sounds! :smallbiggrin:

Right now he is ruler of Greece, and goes by the name "Testaclese"

Is his gun really bad, but has a picture of a cartoon character on it? :D

Talakeal
2012-02-18, 06:56 PM
Is that old man Henderson story anywhere close to RAW for CoC?

He seems to be taking out monsters pretty easily, and claims that elder gods (which Hastur is not btw) are sickened and susceptible to perma-death if damaged immediately after summoning.

I thought CoC made it next to impossible to take out the bad guys, both from a rules perspective and a flavor perspective, but if that story is accurate I would think PCs would be taking out the denizens of the mythos left and right.

Hmm, maybe I should have started a new thread in the other games section instead of derailing this one.

aberratio ictus
2012-02-18, 07:12 PM
The old man Henderson stories evidently couldn't have worked without a lot of GM support. They are funny, but I don't really like how the author pretends to have taken revenge on the GM with this character - that sentiment, all things considered, is quite laughable. My guess is the GM simply thought it was funny and ran with it - either that, or he was an awful pushover.

LibraryOgre
2012-02-19, 12:25 PM
I put the question mark since the term was never used in-game, I had to infer it as a player. My character doesn't even know about it.

Ah, pardon my pedantry. I wind up having to explain half of my gaming references these days, so I assumed it was your confusion on the term.

Grommen
2012-02-22, 03:21 AM
Is his gun really bad, but has a picture of a cartoon character on it? :D

He does not use anything as random and clumsy as a gun.

If he does not fire a spell (quite honestly I don't think he even had a gun), he fires a Ranger X bow with explosive arrows. From back in his "Green Arrow" phase.

Balain
2012-02-23, 12:40 AM
In one D&D camapign our DM made Phlem, god of amost usful items. Praying to phlem would make your divine spells almost useful. Like all healing spells only healing 1 hit point. Even had unigue phlem spells.

One day we killed phlem. A priest of Phlem in our party prayed for some item to help him. He got a big pile of green goop. He fed the goop to some creature, a horse I think. The horse died. So the goop was useful as apoison. Since it was not almost useful Phlem died.

How's that for i nsane/silly?

Lea Plath
2012-02-23, 01:52 AM
Game this week has it moments of insanity aswell :P

-Spirits around a corpse who wanted werewolf skins, we tried to work out how we could get werewolf skins. Our plan was to go to HQ and the skin the guy who we had captured 3 weeks back, because he was a werewolf and regrow the skin or sumin. Eventually this turned into how we would skin everyone for skins, before your genius/fighty/awesome guy just went that he was going to grab the spirit in the umbra.
-We created Umbra latin, and we are now umbros and umbroes. That was silly.
-We were being careful, and so we only brought one wolf with us when we went cruising. Snoop wolfy wolf. We also invented 2 Face Wolf, who is half gangsta, half victorian gentleman and has opposable thumbs he never gets to use because they look freaky.
-Crime scenes are a great place to get phone numbers. And the best way to pull is just to appear naked infront of someone with animal magnetism (it has worked twice now)

I'm loving this game.

@Balain: Did he have any special rituals?

@Grommen: Missed Shadowrun joke :<

Balain
2012-02-23, 02:18 AM
@Balain: Did he have any special rituals?

Yes there were, It's been like 20 years or more since we played that one though so I don't remember much.

Stuff like for healing spells the recipient, i.e. Vitim had to be covered in a layer of phlegm from the caster.

Oh for one spell the cleric of phlem had to hit him self hard enough to do 2d10 damage or something lol

Medic!
2012-02-23, 02:49 AM
You haven't lived until you've done a desert campaign with Cold Pants. Then used the Cold Pants to lure in the Pants Dragons.

Having 2 freshly hatched White Dragon pups in your pants in the desert is....well...it brings a tear to my eye.

Hunter Noventa
2012-02-23, 03:43 PM
We turned a Macross Quarter into a giant space pyramid head and then headbutted a giant space energy vampire with it. Then we fired the lasers. The Palladium System does weird things to people.

Not as weird as the time the Evil Mecha Lincoln rose from the depths of the St. Lawrence River and we had to summon and assemble Mecha John Wilkes Boothe Voltron-style and finished him off. Which was apparently the real reason the Civil War Ended. And that campaign.

Or that somehow, some way, in our current gestalt campaign, when one player's character was removed from the game he came back with some Bard//Artificer monstrosity that has an entire sentai team complete with mecha suits following him. Or that the catgirl Soulknife//Swordsage is about to learn Erupting Burning Finger as a martial maneuver. And is also learning Nanoha-style Be(am)friending(TM) thanks to a custom prestige class. Or that we assaulted a greater aspect of a demon lord with a navy and airforce, both composed of war trolls who practically worship said catgirl. or the fact that said assault wasn't even close to the climax of said campaign as it was followed up by having to Scry-And-Die one of our party members after he betrayed us all and was hours away from inadvertently destroying and remaking the entire plane.

LibraryOgre
2012-02-23, 04:24 PM
We turned a Macross Quarter into a giant space pyramid head and then headbutted a giant space energy vampire with it. Then we fired the lasers. The Palladium System does weird things to people.

...that pretty well sums up Palladium, yeah.