PDA

View Full Version : Incarnum Archer Help

SleepyShadow
2012-02-17, 04:30 PM
So I'm rather curious about this idea that I've been kicking around, and I was hoping that some more knowledgeable character builders could help out. My build so far looks something like this:

Incarnate 2/Cleric 3/Sapphire Hierarch 10

No idea what domain to take other than Law, not sure on the last five levels, and the only feats I know I'll take are Point Blank/Precise/Rapid Shot. As for a race, I rather liked the idea of Lesser Drow.

I appreciate the help :smallbiggrin:

Psyren
2012-02-17, 05:00 PM
Just wanted to note that you aren't locked into domains - the adaptation (MoI pgs. 141-142) lets you change or even drop the alignment and domain requirements. This is good news for you, because chaotic Incarnates are much better at archery than lawful ones.

Personally though, I would drop Incarnate for Totemist, and use Manticore Belt + Zen Archery. Totemist 2 lets you satisfy the requirements just like Incarnate 2, and gets you a chakra you can't get from spells or feats. And you'll do far more damage with that than with arrows, especially with your low BAB.

SleepyShadow
2012-02-17, 06:08 PM
I wasn't terribly concerned about my BAB, since I would have access to Divine Power thanks to cleric casting.

Thank you very much for pointing out the adaptation, it does make things much easier! I'm guessing that smite chaos would be exchanged for smite law, but I don't think any of the other abilities would change, would they?

Manateee
2012-02-17, 10:19 PM
What level are you starting at?

I'm not going to talk about the Divine Persist strategy for two reasons: I don't like it and I'm sure someone has ninjaed me with it by now. But I will say that Azurins do it really well.

Fiddling feats into the low levels is often a problem with this sort of build. At low levels, Elf Domain (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_Elfdomain&alpha=) (PGtF) is probably going to be valuable for meeting prerequisites. Once you get to the level 9 range, you'd probably want to start retraining (PHB2) feats in such a way that you can retrain Elf for the Incarnum domain around level 12 without losing Rapid Shot (it has a bunch of nice options, if you have the essentia to back them up and many have long enough durations that you can cast them the day before adventuring, and save slots when they matter).

Anyway, a Cloistered Cleric of Vandria Gilmadrith (RotW) with Knowledge domain subbed out for devotion (CC) would be solid from low levels. Pick Know: Nature or Know: Dungeons as a class skill, and put a couple ranks into the other and maybe Know: Psionics and a couple Know: Locals so that you can at least make the Knowledge Check. Once you get Divine Insight (SpC) up and running, you should be able to hit the +5 bonus even for the weird Knowledges.

You'll probably want to pick up Precise Shot early, but retrain it for Zen Archery (CW) as soon as you can afford a +1 Precise weapon (MIC).

candycorn
2012-02-18, 03:16 AM
Chaotic Incarnate has a lot of options for boosting accuracy and damage with ranged attacks. I recommend at least 3 levels of incarnate, though, as it increases your essentia capacity with ALL soulmelds. Take Expanded Soulmeld Capacity, and one soulmeld can go even farther.

To start:

Bluesteel Bracers: +2 initiative, and +1 damage on weapon rolls per essentia invested (works on ranged attacks)

Dissolving Spittle: King at low levels. Standard action Ranged touch attack (30 foot range), at will, deals 1d6 acid + 1d6 per essentia invested.
(Throat Bind): damage now, and damage again in a round.

Fellmist Robe: Concealment vs ranged attacks. Good if you stay at range.

Incarnate Avatar (Chaos): +1 to Ranged attack rolls per essentia invested.

Lucky Dice: Swift action, +1 to attack and damage rolls for 1 round, +1 round per essentia invested. (can also boost saves or ability and skill checks)

Sighting Gloves: +1 insight on ranged damage, +1 per essentia
(Chakra Bind, hands) - Precise shot

Vitality Belt: +1hp per level... per essentia. This is effectively +2 con per essentia, for HP purposes only. By level 20, you can easily have +140-160 hp from this.

With good feat selection, and, at later levels, a good ranged weapon, you can do good damage.

Say you have a 5 essentia capacity in 2 melds, and 4 in the rest, along with a BAB of 6. With good essentia, you can have:
30 foot range touch acid for 6d6+7.
or
+5 to hit, +6 to damage with ranged attacks, on top of the bonus afforded you by your ranged weapon (say, a +1 collision bow with GMW, for +3). With rapid shot, or manyshot, you can get solid damage. (1d8+14 per shot, 3-4 shots).

This is obviously light optimization, and there's quite a bit you can do to further augment things, but it's a good springboard.

SleepyShadow
2012-02-18, 04:50 AM
Thanks for the help. I've got a build worked out, though I'm sure there's room for improvement:

Incarnate 2/Cloistered Cleric 3/Sapphire Hierarch 10/Seeker of the Misty Isle 4/Contemplative 1

Feats: Point Blank Shot, Weapon Focus (Longbow) [War Domain], Incarnum Spellshaping [Incarnum Domain], Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Bonus Essentia, Divine Soul Touch, Expanded Soulmeld Capacity (Sighting Gloves), Holy Warrior, Improved Initiative [Time Domain]

Domains: War, Incarnum, Knowledge, Travel, Time

Would that work?

Gotterdammerung
2012-02-18, 05:34 AM
Trade the knowledge domain for knowledge devotion feat.

I didn't see any divine metamagic persists cheese in the build so to keep you from being so buffcentric during the first rounds of combat, I suggest putting skillful enchantment on your weapon. It is a +1 enhancement that gives you a 3/4 bab when you use that weapon. Collision is also a good one for archers.
Splitting enhancement is amazing for bows.

See if your DM will let Zen archery also replace feat prerequs from dex to wis and then try to squeeze it in.

Some of this has already been said.

I am reiterating and concurring.

candycorn
2012-02-18, 07:18 AM
Expanded Soulmeld capacity doesn't specify a feat. You can alter the meld that the feat effects when you shape melds.

SleepyShadow
2012-02-18, 02:42 PM
Expanded Soulmeld capacity doesn't specify a feat. You can alter the meld that the feat effects when you shape melds.

True, but it only lets me expand one soulmeld per day, and that one is just the most likely one I'd expand.

As for Zen Archery, no, it won't replace the dexterity requirements. Besides, when I rolled up the character's stats, I ended up with these:

Str 8, Dex 18, Con 16, Int 11, Wis 18, Cha 14

This is after racial stat adjustments. Not too shabby I'd say :smallbiggrin:

Gotterdammerung
2012-02-18, 03:12 PM
True, but it only lets me expand one soulmeld per day, and that one is just the most likely one I'd expand.

As for Zen Archery, no, it won't replace the dexterity requirements. Besides, when I rolled up the character's stats, I ended up with these:

Str 8, Dex 18, Con 16, Int 11, Wis 18, Cha 14

This is after racial stat adjustments. Not too shabby I'd say :smallbiggrin:

then your dex is already high enough to cover prerequs. That makes zen archery more viable. Then you can focus on wisdom. The casting stat for all of your classes and your incarnum becomes your to hit stat with your ranged weapon.

Are flaws allowed?

SleepyShadow
2012-02-18, 03:32 PM
Nope, no flaws/traits/quirks/whatever.