PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek: The Next Generation RPG?

Scarey Nerd
2012-02-17, 06:03 PM
I've fallen in love with The Next Generation. Big time. And, being the gamer that I am, my first port of call was to see whether there are any TTRPGs of the Star Trek universe, specifically in that time frame. A quick google found a game published by Last Unicorn Games, and I was wondering if anyone had played it and liked it? Or if anyone's played any Star Trek RPGs that they think would suit me?

1of3
2012-02-18, 12:18 PM
The most recent one is from Decipher.

But actually, I'd stay two sectors away from all of them and use a universal system I like. I guess, you already know more things about Star Trek than you can get in a book, and for all the rest there is Memory Alpha (http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Main_Page).

Sir_Mopalot
2012-02-18, 12:20 PM
Prime Directive! (http://www.starfleetgames.com/pdindex.shtml)
It comes in D20, D20 Modern, and GURPS flavors! I recommend it highly.

Gnoman
2012-02-21, 06:32 PM
That's Star Fleet Universe, not Next Generation, though. The SFU is branched off of Star Trek TOS into a full-fledged alternate universe that is forbidden to use anything from Star Trek: The Motion Picture onward, the names of most of the characters, or feature the Enterprise in any significant way through a messy and complicated liscencing issue.

That said, you could probably adapt the PD system to the TNG era, but it would be a lot of work (as well as eliminating the best feature about that particular system).

Balain
2012-02-23, 02:01 AM
There was a Star Trek rpg made by fasa. I'm sure long out of print and it was original star trek, but I think could be easy tio use for TNG, if you can still find a copy.

Now I feel like play a game of the old star fleet battles.

Gnoman
2012-02-23, 04:14 PM
ADB has an online SFB client, though you need to be familiar with the current ruleset, and it is a little expensive. ($50/year).

sonofzeal
2012-03-08, 07:48 AM
ADB has an online SFB client, though you need to be familiar with the current ruleset, and it is a little expensive. ($50/year).
Wait, SFB as in Star Fleet Battles? The tabletop game with binders upon binders of rules, and which can take hours to resolve a simple 1-on-1 ship duel?

Man, I love that game! Point me to this fabled ADB, brave sir or ma'am!

hamlet
2012-03-08, 08:12 AM
I've fallen in love with The Next Generation. Big time. And, being the gamer that I am, my first port of call was to see whether there are any TTRPGs of the Star Trek universe, specifically in that time frame. A quick google found a game published by Last Unicorn Games, and I was wondering if anyone had played it and liked it? Or if anyone's played any Star Trek RPGs that they think would suit me?

Can't speak for how good or bad it is, having never played it myself, but it or FASA's version are, arguably, the most complete in terms of what the books cover. Decipher never really got the chance to publish a bunch of books they wanted to.

I've been told by some folks in the know that even if you don't like the rest of the FASA game, that the starship combat mechanics are worthwhile and fun to play around with for whatever that's worth.

Gnoman
2012-03-13, 04:19 PM
Wait, SFB as in Star Fleet Battles? The tabletop game with binders upon binders of rules, and which can take hours to resolve a simple 1-on-1 ship duel?

Man, I love that game! Point me to this fabled ADB, brave sir or ma'am!

http://www.starfleetgames.com

Although you greatly exaggerate the complexity of the game. The complete rulebook is only slighty larger than the 3.5 PHB.