PDA

View Full Version : The Dancing Swordsman

Roaan
2012-02-17, 06:19 PM
Hey Guys,
What I have:
I'm planning on GMing a game and i have come up with an interesting NPC concept based off the 3rd level Sorc/Wiz spell Steeldance (SC). Steeldance makes two bladed weapons dance around you attacking for 1 round/CL. This is not an optimization thread per se, more like a flavor thread (with moderate optimization). Here is what i'm thinking:

(Transmuter) Wizard 6/ Swashbuckler 3

The idea is to get as many blades out and attacking as possible (Via steeldance and the dancing enchant). I plan to keep my campaign fairly low level (<= 12) so the NPC cant have too many levels. Also, my NPCs cannot have a base 18 in any stat (that is reserved for the truly great and the PCs). After it starts with a 16, anything after that is fair game.

Stats (28pt. buy) 12/16/12/16/8/8

At levels 4 and 8 she'll get +1 int. Then with her Transmuter specialization she can buff herself for +2 more int and finally gloves of dex to qualify for Imp. TWF.

So, since steel dance gives +To Hit based off CL and Caster Stat (INT) and +Damage based off Caster Stat (INT), giving the Dancing Swordsman 2 Blades. Now add in some dancing weapons (1-2) and you can get that up to 3-4. Then go TWF and you can squeeze in another 2 weapons for a grand total of 5+.

Now I want to keep this realistic (if this NPC is allowed to do it, so can the players). I don't want to get into loops where you use 4 pairs of dacing weapons and cast steeldance multiple times, I pretty much want this to be a 1-2 round buff / setup then action.

What I Need:

Unique ways to get more blades spinning and dancing through interesting class features or spells.
A way to reduce the multiple attribute dependence (hence the 3 levels in swashbuckler).
Interesting caster level tricks to make steeldance last longer (steeldance is transmutation)
More Int!

Here is how i imagine a first encounter going. things in are the actual nitty gritty details of the encounter.
I approach the arena, having already paid my hefty entrance fee. A thousand gold pieces is not something i am willing to wager lightly, but i am confident i will emerge the victor. As i step onto the dueling platform i get a good look at opponent, a human female bristling with an impossible amount weaponry. The announcer introduces my opponent to the anxiously awaiting crowd:

"Today we have a new challenger! This promises to be a duel to remember! How will this newcomer do against the bladed fury of the [B]Dancing Swordsman?!"

I don't have long to try to imagine why they call her the "Dancing Swordsman". Arcane syllables spill from her lips as i draw my weapons [She is casting Steeldance]. Then she quickly draws a pair of long swords from scabbards laying in an X on her back. To my astonishment as soon as she has drawn them, she tosses them aside and she draws a greatsword also slung on her back. To my horror the blades she tossed aside rise and begin to dance around her, and with a word, the greatsword also leaves her hands and begins to orbit her [Greatsword has the Dancing enchant]. Finally from a sheath on each hip she draws a brace of scimitars, these she keeps readied in her hands as she adopts an intimidating combat stance [TWF/Contest of Wills (ToB)].

No amount of training or dueling has ever prepared to face five blades at once.

Edit: Speeling

rmg22893
2012-02-17, 06:31 PM
Just take DM creative license and make it work however you want; make it give the PCs a challenge without it being overpowered and unbeatable. The best DMs don't play strictly by the rules.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-17, 06:38 PM
What about straight factotum? It gets int to everything, and you can take Font of Inspiration (in some WotC online article, look on Google) if you're worried about running out of inspiration points.

Randomguy
2012-02-17, 07:19 PM
I assume you meant bladed furry, not balded furry?

Have two colossal bronze statues holding greatswords flanking the entrance of the gladiator arena. When the NPC casts steeldance, she can target those swords with the spell. There's no size limit to the weapons you can use.
In fact, oddly enough the spell has a medium range, so you can use two daggers (or in this case two scimitars) as foci, and target any swords within range. Such as the ones wielded by your enemies.

Animate weapon is another spell you can use, and so is telekinisis. The character doesn't have to gish at all, just have weapons that are controlled by spells do all the work. A skillfull weapon or two could substitute for gishing. As a plus, it gives you proficiency automatically, so you can fight with exotic weapons if you want.

Swashbuckler isn't great if you want to actually use scimitars: They aren't light weapons, so you don't add int to damage and you don't get to use weapon finesse, making swashbuckler pretty useless. You'd probably be better off taking a level or two of fighter. Or, for more int, human paragon.

For more swords flying around, you can take a 2 or 3 levels in master of the unseen hand, but that makes you quite a bit weaker. Make sure you get at least 5 caster levels, though. You can pair up telekinisis with sonorous hum so you can fight in melee while your sword flies around.

The easiest way to make steeldance last longer is to just extend it. There are probably more obscure ways that don't involve spending a higher levels slot though.

Girallon's blessing is another spell that gives you more swords; or at least more hands to wield swords in. Arms of plenty from lords of madness also gives more hands, but you can't wield weapons with them.

Roaan
2012-02-17, 08:13 PM
This was not a perfect example as i want the NPC to be fairly mobile as far as environments go so the arena is not a guarantee (although it could be).

Just take DM creative license and make it work however you want; make it give the PCs a challenge without it being overpowered and unbeatable. The best DMs don't play strictly by the rules.

I see your point and I do know that GMs make the rules, but since i dont have much experience in GMing and some of my players are not very experienced or high optimizers i want to try to keep things as "by the roles" as i can. I'm willing GM special some stuff like the Dancing Greatsword even though it barely fits in the suggested WBL for a level 9 ish.

What about straight factotum? It gets int to everything, and you can take Font of Inspiration (in some WotC online article, look on Google) if you're worried about running out of inspiration points.

Thanks i looked it up and it looks . . . interesting. Thanks

I assume you meant bladed furry, not balded furry?
Have two colossal bronze statues holding greatswords flanking the entrance of the gladiator arena. [...] There's no size limit to the weapons you can use.
[...]

Animate weapon is another spell you can use, and so is telekinisis. The character doesn't have to gish at all, just have weapons that are controlled by spells do all the work. [...]

Swashbuckler isn't great if you want to actually use scimitars: They aren't light weapons, so you don't add int to damage and you don't get to use weapon finesse, making swashbuckler pretty useless. You'd probably be better off taking a level or two of fighter. Or, for more int, human paragon.

For more swords flying around, you can take a 2 or 3 levels in master of the unseen hand [...]

The easiest way to make steeldance last longer is to just extend it. There are probably more obscure ways that don't involve spending a higher levels slot though.

[...]

You bring up some great points. I gished a little because i didn't want the actually wielded weapons to be entirely useless. Also i should have checked more carefully when picking scimitars instead of, say, Kukri or a Rapier.

Extend is very affordable if i can get her a 4th level slot. Also master if the unseen hand looks fantastic and could hurt the power a little, but i value flavor a bit more with this NPC.

Thanks Guys!

Talionis
2012-02-17, 11:21 PM
Knowledge Devotion
You won't need every knowledge skill.

Flaws for more feats, I don't like flaws on PCs but for NPCs.

Also thing of Extend and other Metamagic Feats.