PDA

View Full Version : PF - Feast of Ravenmoor 1

Xeno55
2012-02-17, 06:25 PM
I may end up adding a fifth player, just so you know.

You meet, as is traditional, in a tavern. You realize you all know each other from somewhere. But you are not sure exactly where, or how long ago, or what the circumstances were.

Marden (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=372149) human bard
Johanna (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=329543) human gunslinger
Hasra (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=371918) dwarf fighter
Damien (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=371977) human sorcerer

First, introduce yourselves in dialogue.

Second, see if you can find/make up/develop somehow a separate and distinct connection to each other player. You can use PM and/or dialogue to accomplish this.

You may have met before on the job, in school or training, incarcerated or enslaved, or exploring or adventuring. You might worship the same good, go to the same brothel, admire the same philosophy, or depend on the same armorer. One of you may have saved the others life, prevented him from being cheated by a merchant, or caught him cheating at cards. You might be former lovers, or have been in competition for the same woman, or you might be long lost cousins or siblings. You might have seen each other only in dreams, and decided that you are blood brothers. Or whatever.

Obviously both parties to a connection must agree that it is accurate. You gain 100 xp for each connection. If you invent a clear and distinct connection to each party member you will also gain a trait or similar award chosen by the GM. More interesting and developed connections may get better rewards.

rb780nm
2012-02-17, 07:13 PM
The link to Johanna's sheet was wrong: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=329543

The musicians stop suddenly, mid-song, for no obvious reason. There are foot steps on the planking outside - every eye turns to the doorway. It swings open and a figure enters, silhouetted against the street lights.

The figure, hood pulled low over their face stops. They appear to survey the crowd for a moment. She pulls the hood back, revealing brown hair and brown eyes in a deeply tanned face, set in a face that is neither pretty nor ugly, although her complexion is marred by a few small powder burns. Her hands, wrapped in leather gloves, sweep her cloak back from her hips, revealing a pair of pistols and a rapier.

Her eyes fall upon a familiar face and her scowl softens to a small smile. She walks over to the table and sits down. "It's me..., Johanna," she prompts, realizing that recognition wasn't instantaneous.

Kira_the_5th
2012-02-17, 07:21 PM
"Ah. Always one for dramatics, eh Johanna?" says the large Ulfen man sitting at the bar. "How's business been doing?" Sweeping a lock of blond hair out of his eye, he invites Johanna to take a seat. "So what do you know about our employer? I just got sent here by the Society with a "Damien, go off and see if you can settle this tax dispute." You get any more info?"

Xeno55
2012-02-17, 09:31 PM
This is a typical tavern with dice, darts and drinking. The one unusual feature is an elderly woman at a corner table, said to be a fortune teller.

sirveaux
2012-02-17, 09:40 PM
As the two converse, they can't help but notice a tall, lean man in a ridiculous outfit striding their way. His bright red tailcoat and confident bearing would stand out anywhere, especially in this crowd. He saunters up to the bar, his hazel eyes scanning the pair seated before him. "Now, there's a voice I can't forget... How've you been keeping?"

fizzure
2012-02-17, 11:06 PM
Sitting at the end of the bar drinking Varisian ale for most of the day is a welcomed departure form his trip to Riddleport to deliver news of his fathers death and items from the will to his extend family, it was a daunting and grief filled trip.

Finding something or someone to distract him from the recent events and the reality of his mortality would be a good start.

As he peers into his glass a flash of red catches the corner of his eye and he looks up. He thinks to himself...."is that Marden?..the last time I saw him was when he was playing in Vigil, it can't be him." Hasra leaves his place at the bar to get his attention.

sirveaux
2012-02-17, 11:23 PM
Marden take note of Hasra as he approaches the trio. There is a faint gleam of recognition in his eye.

Have no fear, no glamer fools your eye, friend dwarf. My circusmaster was quite fond of Vigil. We tended to play there at least once a year. Now, why does your face spark my memory? Perhaps a guard or...?

fizzure
2012-02-17, 11:54 PM
Shuffling quickly across the floor and reaching out for a firm handshake he stumbles a bit from the heavy drink "Lo, it is you. Well met Marden!"

Taking a seat at the bar and ordering another ale Hasra continues "We met several years ago at The Legendary Playhouse in Vigil. I was very fond of visiting the playhouse and one night you and your circusmaster played and brought the house down. I've seen many shows in my time but your performance will have my memory until I pass."

Hasra takes a deep drink of the newly delivered ale and tosses a silver to the bartender "After your performance I introduced myself and we drank and had an entertaining night of stories and tales. It's good to see you again!"

"What has brought you to town? "

Kira_the_5th
2012-02-18, 02:06 AM
"Hasra? You too? Now this is just getting weird. What the devil are you doing here as well?" Damien says, looking down at the dwarf from his barstool. "It's been how long since the incident with the goblins now, 5 years?"

Xeno55
2012-02-18, 07:19 AM
I am tracking relationships here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12742888#post12742888) You can check and make sure I get them right. Also this is our OOC thread.

The party is in the tavern for as long as the players wish to continue the scene, then we will go to the tax office.

fizzure
2012-02-18, 08:02 AM
Hasra hears a familiar voice, as he's speaking to Marden, he turns to look at the figure next to him. He has to lean back in his seat and crane his neck up to take in the man's whole frame.

"Damien...I'm speechless, this isn't possible? How could I miss you, your almost the size of an owl bear! Marden and now you, the gods conspire!"

"Aye, who could forget the goblin battle, had to be at least 5 years ago. That happened not too far out of Sandpoint if I remember correctly? The scars I carry and the deaths of so many goblins will forever be remembered. We did a great service clearing out that tribe of goblins in the cave so close to town. And the pay wasn't bad either" Hasra winks.

Hasra lowers his voice "Who's the lady with the pistols, I haven't seen guns like that since my visit to Absalom years ago. She looks absolutely deadly."

sirveaux
2012-02-18, 08:49 AM
"As memory serves, Hasra, Miss Joanna here was the finest trick shot we ever saw with our circus troupe. She stuck around for a few dates, then I didn't see her again. Until now... As for this big bear of a lad, he can't help but stick out in my mind. Came through the magic fair that was in town the same time we were some years ago, unless I'm bad mistaken..."

Marden flashes Damien a grin of recognition.

"And to answer your question, Hasra, one thing sort of led to another, and you could say I'm an... "independent" performer now. Neat trick for a ringmaster..."

fizzure
2012-02-19, 12:36 AM
Hasra jumps off the stool and says"My lady Joanaa" he takes a deep unbalanced bow and almost falls on his face "My name is Hasra, son of Tela of Vigil. It's a pleasure to meet you."

He stands straight and says to the group "I'm traveling on my way home from delivering sad news of my fathers passing. It looks like I've just happened into a fine group of old and new friends. I'm in no need of getting home in a hurry and wouldn't mind getting knee deep into adventure to take my mind off of recent events. Does anyone have need of a stout dwarven sword arm or drinking partner?"

sirveaux
2012-02-19, 10:03 AM
"I'm sorry to hear of your father's passing. I don't know about a sword-arm, but I'm certain a few tankards wouldn't be amiss. Come, Hasra, let us toast your father and share a tale or two"

If an Oratory check is needed:
[roll0]

fizzure
2012-02-19, 09:37 PM
Hasra stands tall, holds his cup in the air and says "Too a great dwarf and father, Tela of Vigil" and gulps down the remaining ale in his glass. Hasra settles in his seat, orders another glass of ale and exchanges stories with the party.

Kira_the_5th
2012-02-20, 02:12 AM
"To Tela of Vigil! May he brighten the heavens his soul calls home!" Damien says, finishing off his mead.

Xeno55
2012-02-20, 07:51 AM
I don't want to see the game bog down, so I am moving the scene to the tax collector's office. People may continue developing relationships with each other ICC or OCC as they wish.

Jeminda is a nervous, mousey woman with dull brown hair and busy hands.

It is a pleasure to meet you all. I am Jeminda.

The tax receipts from the small village of Ravenmoor are missing, as is my brother-in-law who went to investigate. I am seeking a competent group of agents to discover what has happened, and return with the taxes and my brother-in-law.

This should be a fairly simple, straightforward, and not especially dangerous task. For this I will pay 200 gold pieces to each adventurer, 800 gp total.

fizzure
2012-02-20, 08:11 AM
Hasra fidgets with his beard, a gleam of greed in his eye at the mention of gold "I've been looking for a task to keep me busy and here it is. It's a pleasure to meet you Jeminda." Hasra steps in closer "This task sounds easy enough but I'm not familiar with Ravenmoore, how distant is it? Can you provide a name of an official in Ravenmoor we should ask regarding your brother-in-law and the taxes?"

Xeno55
2012-02-20, 08:44 AM
Jeminda describes Elias as a short, stocky man of Ulfen
descent with a shock of red hair; blunt, ugly features (the
result of one too many scuffles in taverns); coarse, patchy
facial scruff; and a predilection for strong drink. Ever
since the death of his wife (Jeminda’s sister) a few years
ago, Elias has fallen on hard times, but he had recently
made great strides in kicking his drinking habit and
had even been hired by the city as a tax collector. Her
family ties and Elias's apparent eagerness to accomplish
something that would secure him a promotion made
him a great choice for Jeminda to entrust with the initial
mission to Ravenmoor. But now that it’s been over a
month since she last heard from him, she fears he’s been
waylaid by bandits or worse.

The last she heard from Elias was a short letter from
Galduria, in which he boasted of making the journey
along the Lost Coast Road from the town of Sandpoint in
record time. He predicted that if weather held, he’d be in
Ravenmoor in no time and would be back in Magnimar
within a week and a half. His letter from Galduria is
frustratingly brief, and doesn’t even indicate where
he stayed in that town.

Ravenmoor is located almost 250 miles from Magnimar
through foothills, forests, and marshland. Those
traveling from Magnimar to Ravenmoor essentially have
two choices: the Lost Coast Road or the Yondabakari River.
While the Lost Coast route is overland, the river route is
longer. Both routes meet up in Galduria; from there the
rest of the journey is generally made via horseback along a
well-traveled road on the western shore of the Lampblack
River. As the Lampblack curves away to the east, this road
continues north along the edge of Churlwood, eventually
reaching Roderic’s Cove and Riddleport. Travelers to
Ravenmoor must abandon the road at this bend in the
river to follow a little-used trail up along the river’s west
banks into increasingly dreary landscapes of bogland
and bleak moors. During the day, the preponderance of
ravens in the skies gives subtle encouragement that one
is on the right track to Ravenmoor, but as the sun sets,
the mosquitoes come alive. The trail itself often winds
away from the river and soggy boglands to avoid the worst
of these pests, but once the PCs near Ravenmoor, insects
become a constant annoyance.

Jeminda:

I know nothing of Ravenmoor, although they must of a mayor or town counsel or some other kind of governing body. That would be the place to start.

sirveaux
2012-02-20, 10:11 AM
Marden listens carefully to Jeminda, his hazel eyes never breaking their gaze as he absently rubs his seeming permanent three-day stubble.

"A most harrowing passage it sounds, Miss Jeminda. Perhaps we could prevail upon you for some further material aid in order to ensure the success of our effort?"

I assume the Charming trait will come into play here, so I'll add it to the roll. If not, just take one off. Thanks. Diplomacy Check: [roll0]

Edit:

Ugh, sorry team.

rb780nm
2012-02-20, 01:50 PM
Earlier:

Johanna smiles at the bard. "Well met friends. I enjoyed my time the circus - unfortunately enemies I needed to avoid found me there, and I thought it better not to bring danger upon your troupe...

"I haven't been working on my trick shots for a while though. Been too busy shooting in self defense to manage much for fun," Johanna trails off with a wistful smile.

"Noble Hasra and Damien: your reputations precede you. I have heard tell around many a table of your deeds. Your stand against the undead at the Lord-Savant's crypt was all anyone spoke of for months anywhere within a thousand miles of the site."

Now:

"Indeed, Marden. I fear for our host's brother-in-law. By foot, it will be a great time before we can get there, assist him and return - have you horses we could borrow for this task - it will improve your brother's chances immeasurably."

Diplomacy [roll0]
Wow- we're destined to do badly here....
(Mythweavers seems to be down, so I don't have my numbers to hand...)

Xeno55
2012-02-20, 01:58 PM
I assume the Charming trait will come into play here, so I'll add it to the roll. If not, just take one off. Thanks. Diplomacy Check: [roll0]

The first diplomacy roll on a question I treat as the controlling roll, other players may then attempt to aid the roll.

Jeminda:

I am eager to see this problem resolved. I will, if you wish, advance you each 50 gp of your payment which you could use for horses or perhaps a wagon or coach.

sirveaux
2012-02-20, 02:57 PM
"I, for one, will certainly take you up on this kind offer. But pray tell, do you have any information regarding these insects, such as what to expect, and how best to combat or prevent them? If you have no personal knowledge, perhaps you could direct us to someone who could advise us or provide the requisite precautions?"

Would a Kowledge (Nature) or (Local) check be more appropriate to see if I know anything about these bugs? I'll do both, you take whichever you feel appropriate.
Local first: [roll0]
Now Nature:[roll1]

fizzure
2012-02-20, 03:54 PM
Hasra is very impressed with Marden's ability to convince Jeminda to advance gold to help our cause. "Jeminda we thank you very much for the advance, we will be sure to get to the bottom of this mystery quickly and efficiently."

Hasra addresses the group "I have a horse but I can stable it here if we decide not to travel by that means."

Xeno55
2012-02-20, 04:31 PM
Would a Kowledge (Nature) or (Local) check be more appropriate to see if I know anything about these bugs? I'll do both, you take whichever you feel appropriate.
Local first: [roll0]
Now Nature:[roll1]

Jeminda has no special knowledge, but your nature roll suggests mosquito netting would be helpful for sleeping at night, and that a good apothecary would likely be able to come up with some insect repellant. Locally it is possible to find mosquito netting for 10 gp, and Dr. Alesander's (a name you can trust) insect repellant cream for 25 gp.

sirveaux
2012-02-21, 09:55 AM
Marden smiles warmly.

"Well, I thank you very much Miss Jeminda. Both for the advance and the advice. If you could kindly point me in the direction of any shopkeepers who might provide these sundries, and perhaps a good map of the region?"

If no one else has any business or asks anything else, Marden will wait for a reply, then politely excuse himself to go procure his necessities.

fizzure
2012-02-21, 10:30 AM
Hasra shakes in his armor "The thought of any kind insect gives me the shivers. I think I'll be headin to Dr. Alesander's for some of that cream." Hasra thinks to himself, maybe he can convince Joanaa to apply some of it to the hard to reach places?

I'm think I'm done here, just going to pick up some bug repellant and I'm ready to be off. How does the group want to travel to Magnimar? Looks like horse is the only way to Ravenmoore from Magnimar

rb780nm
2012-02-21, 11:19 AM
Horses sound like a plan. Let's hire some and pick up the bug repellent ointment

Xeno55
2012-02-21, 12:02 PM
The party purchases horses, bug repellant and whatever else you like. Costs for horses, etc. are noted here. (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/equipment.html#transport)

Myth weavers is back up!

sirveaux
2012-02-21, 12:18 PM
Can we all afford horses (and saddles, feed, etc?) Or will the 50 in advance straight up cover that? If not can we look into pooling our advances for a wagon & donkeys (may be a cheaper means of transport than individual horses)

fizzure
2012-02-21, 07:22 PM
Hasra digs around in his belt pouch for his coins and brings out 300gp for a heavy combat horse and 25gp for Dr. Alesander's bug cream.

I bought a Heavy Combat horse for 300gp, looks like the light horse is about 75gp. So the way I understand it we can get to Galduria from Magnimar by boat or horse. Once in Galduria we have to go by foot or horse so we are going to need to buy a horse here or in Galduria?

Xeno55
2012-02-21, 07:35 PM
Hasra digs around in his belt pouch for his coins and brings out 300gp for a heavy combat horse and 25gp for Dr. Alesander's bug cream.

I bought a Heavy Combat horse for 300gp, looks like the light horse is about 75gp. So the way I understand it we can get to Galduria from Magnimar by boat or horse. Once in Galduria we have to go by foot or horse so we are going to need to buy a horse here or in Galduria?

Either way works, or you can go by foot.

fizzure
2012-02-22, 12:39 PM
Hasra is sitting astride his new war horse, his nose pointed toward the Magnimar-Galduria gate ready to head out. He's just waiting on my companions to finish their business

rb780nm
2012-02-22, 02:35 PM
Johanna rides up to the gate, astride her horse.

Spending 325 for a heavy combat horse and bugcream.

sirveaux
2012-02-22, 05:15 PM
Marden uncomfortably lopes up to the gate upon a horse that appears a bit more slight than those of his compatriots. Anyone listening would catch a few oaths mixed in with grumblings under his breath about missing the circus caravan's wagon train.

100 gp for a light horse and bug cream

Xeno55
2012-02-22, 05:46 PM
Damien, you should make whatever purchases you wish before reading below this post. You will want transport of some type to keep up with the party.

fizzure
2012-02-23, 10:33 AM
Lets discuss marching order to Ravenmoore, I can lead since I'm the fighter.

sirveaux
2012-02-23, 10:50 AM
Marden would probably ride second, as his primary combat strategy is "get behind and whip-trip," although he'll need to dismount first.

rb780nm
2012-02-23, 10:12 PM
Jo could ride second -good to have someone between me and the bad guys when I'm reloading.

Xeno55
2012-02-23, 10:53 PM
Hasra leads, followed by Jo and Marden side by side, with Damien bringing up the rear.

The trip to Ravenmoor is uneventful.

The journey to Ravenmoor is uneventful.

The party is now approaching the village. It is perhaps an hour or two before noon.

Perception:

Marden human bard [roll0]
Johanna human gunslinger [roll1]
Hasra dwarf fighter [roll2]
Damien human sorcerer [roll3]

Everyone hears a young boy’s voice calling out,
“Aaaaaaplesaaaauce! Here boy! C’meer boy!” followed
by some whistling.

Marden and Damien in addition notice a disturbance in the grass next to the road. Out flies a strange creature, neither bird nor bat, with a long, dangling proboscis.

Xeno55
2012-02-23, 10:57 PM
Initiative:

Marden [roll0]
Damien [roll1]

Creature [roll2]

Marden has initiative and may take actions as he likes. Next up will be the strange creature.

sirveaux
2012-02-24, 09:52 AM
Can I see the boy or pinpoint his sound? If yes to both, the following occurs.

Marden dismounts from his horse. He then moves between the creature and where he heard the child's voice, drawing his whip and readying himself.

"Hold steady, son. There's something on the road up here. I don't think it's Applesauce."

fizzure
2012-02-24, 10:30 AM
"Hold steady, son. There's something on the road up here. I don't think it's Applesauce."That's funny!

Xeno55
2012-02-24, 04:33 PM
The strange creature flies into the road and attempts to grapple Hasra.

[roll0]

The creature successfully grapples Hasra, but inflicts no damage.

All characters may now take actions as they wish.

(The boy is close by, judging from the sound of his voice, and is coming closer.)

sirveaux
2012-02-24, 05:22 PM
I forgot to ask during my turn, so I'll do it now. Do you require an action to make a Knowledge check? If so, what kind? If not, do I have to wait for my turn to come back around before making it?

Xeno55
2012-02-24, 05:42 PM
I forgot to ask during my turn, so I'll do it now. Do you require an action to make a Knowledge check? If so, what kind? If not, do I have to wait for my turn to come back around before making it?

No, I always allow one knowledge check as a free action. And it is your turn now - I use party rounds, and everyone in the party may now take actions in any order.

sirveaux
2012-02-24, 07:21 PM
Knowledge (Nature or Dungeoneering, whichever is appropriate): [roll0] to identify creature

Marden casts Grease on Hasra's armor

Ugh, 20 for initiative, nat 1 for my check. haha

Xeno55
2012-02-24, 07:38 PM
Hasra's armor is greasy. Marden has no idea what the creature is.

fizzure
2012-02-24, 08:20 PM
"Agh....help get this filthy beast off me so I can get a good swing at him" Hasra jerks side to side to try and get the creature off him

Hasra is going to attempt to break the grapple by making a combat maneuver check. I'm not sure if I get my +7 bonus?

1d20+7

I messed the roll code up, should have read the tutorial :( Can you guys see my roll results?

Hasra is hit with grease "What's this?? I've been squirted with some type of slimy liquid. I should have applied the bug cream earlier, curse the gods!"

Xeno55
2012-02-24, 08:39 PM
The die roller is very particular. Sometimes you have to redo the entire post to get a result.

In this case the grease on your armor gives you a +10 bonus for beating the grapple. I'll roll for you:

[roll0]

You throw the now greasy creature off you to the ground. It's wings flutter in preparation for taking off. The other two heroes may now take actions.

fizzure
2012-02-24, 08:43 PM
Thanks alot, I'm testing my code on the roll forums :smallsmile:

sirveaux
2012-02-24, 09:11 PM
Wowsa, I vote X makes ALL the rolls from now on! :smallamused:

fizzure
2012-02-24, 09:12 PM
lol, I agree!!

Xeno55
2012-02-27, 10:36 PM
The other two players are inactive for now. I have PMd and emailed them both. I would suggest that we give them another day or so, and then consider recruiting replacements.

A young boy comes into sight. He looks perhaps 8 years old, with a ragged mop
of black hair, filthy home-spun clothes, and mud caking his hands and feet.

The strange flying thing grapples the boy successfully. The boy does not seem to resist.

The two player characters may take actions as they wish.

fizzure
2012-02-27, 10:54 PM
Hasra

"What is that thing? Is that some sort of strange pet...now I've seen everything!" Hasra scowls and points at the boy "Your bug "Applesauce" would have met it's maker at the end of my axe if I hadn't tripped on it!" Hasra picks himself up and tries vainly to wipe the grease off his gear muttering under his breath.

sirveaux
2012-02-27, 11:15 PM
Marden beholds the scene before him with a mix of relief and confusion

"Let me guess... Applesauce?"

Marden moves to greet the lad, putting his whip away. "Hello, son. I'm Marden, what's your name? And how does a lad like yourself come to keep a... that as a pet?"

Xeno55
2012-02-27, 11:32 PM
Don't hurt Applesauce! He wouldn't hurt anything. He just got loose and scared, that's all. I'll take him back now.

The boy turns and heads in the direction of the village.

sirveaux
2012-02-27, 11:42 PM
Marden starts after the boy, saying "Wait, lad! Tell us..." then quits the chase as the boy outpaces him.

As the boy fades from view, Marden turns to remount his horse. He speaks to Hasra. "Well, that's a hell of a thing. I guess we should head on into town?"

rb780nm
2012-02-28, 07:16 AM
Sorry about my absence. Was in transit and away from my computer longer than anticipated.

With the threat vanished, Jo holstered her pistol. "Curious," she said. "Let's keep going."

Xeno55
2012-02-28, 07:55 AM
Welcome back rb780nm!

The characters head into town. The boy and his "pet" live on the outskirts of town. He runs to an older man, presumably his father. This man approaches the heroes:

My name be Viorec Korzha. Welcome to Ravenmoor. I trust my boy's little pet didn't scare you none. What brings you strangers to our town?

fizzure
2012-02-28, 08:57 AM
Hasra

"Scared no, surprised yes. What type of strange creature is that?"

Does someone with a higher Diplomacy want to ask Viorec questions about the missing tax collector?

sirveaux
2012-02-28, 10:38 AM
Marden dismounts, and reaches out to shake hands, while his other hand grips the reins.

"Hail, friend Korzha. I am Marden." Marden introduces the others in turn. "Indeed, we marvelled a bit at the sight of your boy and his...friend. When I heard him calling for 'Applesauce,' I imagined a dog, or perhaps a pony. Are such creatures common pets in these parts?"

Marden waits for a reply. When he gets it, or sees none forthcoming, he continues:

"Now, regarding our business. We've heard reports of a man we're looking for coming this way, were looking to see if he ever made it. Short Ulfen fellow, name of Elias. Seen anyone like that? And incidentally, if another fellow were to have a thirst, whereabouts might he quench it?"

Diplomacy roll:[roll0]

sirveaux
2012-02-28, 10:40 AM
Crap, screwed up the roller thing. Let's try it again: Diplomacy:
[roll0]

Also, Sorry, Fizz, didn't see your post at first

fizzure
2012-02-28, 10:49 AM
No worries, I could only see my response in edit mode, something with my post was screwy? Nice roll btw :smallsmile:

sirveaux
2012-02-28, 10:52 AM
Thanks, but thank Cayden for Versatile Performance :smalltongue:

Xeno55
2012-02-28, 11:02 AM
"Hail, friend Korzha. I am Marden." Marden introduces the others in turn. "Indeed, we marvelled a bit at the sight of your boy and his...friend. When I heard him calling for 'Applesauce,' I imagined a dog, or perhaps a pony. Are such creatures common pets in these parts?"

Stirges? Yes they are very common as pets in Ravenmoor. They are friendly and affectionate creatures, although not very bright.

"Now, regarding our business. We've heard reports of a man we're looking for coming this way, were looking to see if he ever made it. Short Ulfen fellow, name of Elias. Seen anyone like that? And incidentally, if another fellow were to have a thirst, whereabouts might he quench it?"

Seems like there was a stranger here, three or four weeks ago. Only stayed the night and then moved on. The mayor would likely know more, I never met the fellow.

There is no tavern or drinking establishment in town. However today is the monthly Founder's Festival, starting in just a few hours - there will be plenty of ale if you are so inclined.

Mayor Krieger stays in the manor house up there.

Korsha points to a large building in the center of town.

sirveaux
2012-02-28, 11:16 AM
"Many thanks, Goodman Korzha. I believe we will pay the Mayor a call. And I for one will certainly stop by your lovely village's festival. Save a pint for me!"

With that, Marden mounts his horse, ready to continue to the mayor's house, though he waits for his companions to move first.

fizzure
2012-02-28, 12:12 PM
Hasra

Hasra scrambles backup on his horse "Aye Marden lets go see the mayor, maybe he has the information we need to finish this business. If Elias was tasked with collection of taxes it seems strange he would stay only one night then head out?"

Hasra turns to address Korzha "A Founder's Festival you say? Well we couldn't have timed our arrival any better. Lets meet with this mayor then have a drink".

fizzure
2012-02-28, 12:13 PM
Argh..double post

Xeno55
2012-02-29, 07:56 AM
As the Heroes approach the manor, they are met before they actually reach the
door by a surly-looking young man who abandons his yard work to demand
what the PCs want. The man grips his sickle tightly during the conversation.

The mayor is busy, you see. Outsiders got no business in this town, you see. Best you be moving along, there is nothing here in Ravenmoor for you.

sirveaux
2012-02-29, 10:49 AM
Marden flashes the man his winningest smile.

"Soft, Goodman, we mean no harm. We have some business to discuss with your goodly mayor. I promise we will not keep him, nor you, from the many labors to be performed this day. Kindly advise us where we may find the mayor, so that we may conclude our conference as swiftly as possible, and allow you both to return to your affairs."

Dipomacy: [roll0]

Xeno55
2012-02-29, 04:03 PM
The surly looking young man is unimpressed.

I already told yea no. He is not available. This is no place for the likes of you. You should all be getting off now, not bothering me when I am working.

fizzure
2012-02-29, 06:34 PM
Hasra

Blood rushes to Hasra's head, he stands more erect and curls his hands into fists looking visibly angry "Now you listen here, we've traveled almost 250 miles from Magnimar to speak to your mayor. We want to speak to him now or your going to tell us where he is, if not your going to make me very unhappy."

[roll0]Intimidate - wow that's not gonna help matters

Xeno55
2012-02-29, 06:57 PM
The man raises his scythe threateningly...

And the door opens, and a voice says:

I'll handle this Leonard. Allow me to introduce myself, I am Andretti Kriegler, the mayor of Ravenmoor. I would be happy to assist you all any way that I can.

Mayor Kriegler is a tall, lean man with a severe bearing,
a keen stare, and an imposing mien - yet his tone of voice suggests he is delighted to be meeting new people.

Kira_the_5th
2012-02-29, 07:02 PM
"Now, now, Hasra, there's no need to be rude. We're sorry for any disturbance we're causing, but we have a job to do. The sooner we can find the man we're looking for, the sooner we can leave, and the happier everyone will be in this matter. You don't have to follow us around on the search, just let us be about our business. so you can get back to yours all the sooner. What do you say?" Damien says after standing silently to think for a moment.

Sorry for the intense delays, my computer just got back from being in pieces over the last few days. Anyway, may as well try Diplomacy!

Diplomacy roll: [roll0]

Xeno55
2012-02-29, 07:31 PM
Mayor:

Yes, yes of course. But who exactly are you talking about? And who are all of you? And what is this all about? I should be delighted to assist you, but I am at a loss as to what brings you all to my doorstep?

sirveaux
2012-02-29, 09:01 PM
"Mayor Kreiger, we were told a publican by the name of Elias was en route to your fair village. We were hoping to discover if he made it here, and if so, to rendezvous with him. Any information you could provide would be a great boon."

Xeno55
2012-02-29, 09:59 PM
Mayor Kriegler

Elias Kyle came into town and wasted no time making
a fool of himself—ordering townsfolk around
and making unreasonable demands when he
should have just come to me. Once Kyle did
approach me I assured the tax collector that we would
pay the taxes in full but that we needed a bit of time to scrape
the funds together. I invited Kyle to stay in his manor and
enjoy that month’s festival, but Kyle had little interest
in what he called “backwoods hootenannies.” The mayor goes on
to say that Kyle did take him up on his
offer of board, though, and went to bed
early. The next morning, I paid Kyle the taxes in
a locked coffer, and the man left town just before dawn,
presumably heading back to Magnimar.

Are you telling me he did not return to Magnimar?

Honestly, I’m not surprised to learn that. I’ve heard rumors
that he lit out for Riddleport, in which case I fear the taxes
are as good as gone. But the fact apparently remains that we
still owe a payment. You strike me as much more trustworthy
agents, frankly, but I’m afraid we don’t have the full payment
available to pay the taxes again. I’ll extend to you the same
offer I extended to Elias, though—enjoy the festival and
tonight’s feast, stay in my home, and I’ll see what I can scrape
together from what remains of the town’s funds to pay at
least part of what we owe. Perhaps at a later date Magnimar
might send you north to Riddleport to find out what became
of that scoundrel.

sirveaux
2012-03-01, 09:21 AM
Marden considers the Mayor's words for a moment before replying.

Sense Motive: [roll0]

Xeno55
2012-03-01, 11:48 AM
It is clear to Marden that the mayor is not telling everything. However he is genuinely pleased to meet the party members.

fizzure
2012-03-01, 01:59 PM
Hasra

Hasra scratches his chin through his thick beard "So it turns out that this Elias Kyle fella is a crook? If we are done here lets go participate in the festivities and grab a mug. We'll sleep here the night and bring back all the money the locals can find for taxes tomorrow?"

sirveaux
2012-03-01, 02:25 PM
Marden nods to the Mayor:

"Thank you both for the information and your generous offer, Mayor. I, unlike, Mr. Elias, am fond of any manner of hootenannies, "backwoods" or otherwise. Is there anyplace or anyone in particular we should definitely seek out whilst revelling?"

Once given an answer, Marden thanks the Mayor, and unless anyone else says or does anything, will excuse himself to join the festivities.

Once out of sight and earshot of the Mayor or his cronies, Marden whispers to any party members nearby:

"I don't know about this 'Mayor,' lads. If we do stay here the night, I vote no one sleeps alone, and we split the night into watches. Thoughts?"

fizzure
2012-03-01, 03:46 PM
Agreed, something rather fishy is going on. I'll take first watch tonight and Hasra will try to keep his consumption of beer down.

Xeno55
2012-03-01, 04:07 PM
The founder's day festival is scheduled to start in a couple of hours. While waiting the party notices many small homes and barns, as well as:

Physic:
The front of this small building has a wide, overhanging roof
that provides shade for a few benches and chairs out front.

Trading Post and Smithy
While this building bears a sign that proclaims it to be the
town trading post, the lack of business and activity certainly
sets expectations of a poorly stocked store at best.

Ruined Church
The ceiling of this abandoned church has mostly caved in, and
while the church’s two-story steeple still stands, the bell that
once hung within appears to be missing.

The Stones
This large ring of black river stones and tall, stacked rock
columns encompasses an open-air amphitheater built against
a steeply sloped sandstone outcropping. Stone benches sit
nearby, while a misshapen wicker and corn-husk figure with
mossy canvas wings looms over an altar stone at the far side.

Kriegler Manor (The mayor's house)
This clapboard, saltbox-style house is the largest home in
town. Built on a barren hill, the building has a two-story
facade that slopes down to a single-story rear with the large,
protruding chimney of a centrally placed hearth. The house
seems inviting, and much better maintained than Ravenmoor’s
other buildings.

This is perhaps half of the village, further exploration will find more buildings.

sirveaux
2012-03-01, 04:20 PM
Marden elects to take either first or last watch, owing to his spell slots. He make no pretense of moderating his alcohol consumption, however.

Marden strolls vacantly through the village, hoping to stumble across a tavern where he might drink or make a bit of coin, or a pretty maid who might serve as a tour guide.

Xeno55
2012-03-01, 05:59 PM
There is no sign of a tavern. This village may be too small for such an establishment.

There is however an attractive young woman struggling with an overlarge bucket of water which she is taking to the festival grounds.

sirveaux
2012-03-01, 06:44 PM
Marden approaches the lass, laying on his full measure of charm:
"Please, Missus, allow me to ease your burden. Marden the Magnanimous at your service. Where might such a pretty lady be bound with such a vast quantity of water?"

Diplomacy roll: [roll0]

Xeno55
2012-03-01, 06:57 PM
Why, I am charmed. Shel is my name. Are you in town for the festival? We don't get many outsiders.

She smiles prettily.

rb780nm
2012-03-01, 06:57 PM
"I've got no problem with that and I'll take the middle watch," Johanna says.

Walking over to the serving girl, Johanna laughs at Marden's approaches.

sirveaux
2012-03-01, 07:35 PM
Marden takes the bucket, and carries it as Shel directs. He answers Johanna's smirk with a knowing wink.
"A singular pleasure to make your acquaintance, Shel. In truth, other business guides my path to Ravenmoor. But I should be delighted to stay and sample your town's many... Delights. Tell me more about this festival..."

sirveaux
2012-03-01, 07:36 PM
Marden takes the bucket, and carries it as Shel directs. He answers Johanna's smirk with a knowing wink.
"A singular pleasure to make your acquaintance, Shel. In truth, other business guides my path to Ravenmoor. But I should be delighted to stay and sample your town's many... Delights. Tell me more about this festival..."

fizzure
2012-03-02, 06:47 AM
Hasra

With the thought of the festivities starting in a few hours and his drinking being a bit delayed due to a lack of a tavern Hasra decides to examine the ruined church a bit closer to see the craftmanship that went into its construction and maybe what caused it's collapse.

[roll0] Perception Check- Myth Weavers seems to be down for me and I can't quite remember my skill bonus.

Xeno55
2012-03-02, 07:25 AM
Shel chatters away happily.

We have games, and the feast, and I am in competition to be the Queen of the festival. We play falling stars, catch the greased pig, three legged race, the dreamer's leap, and the men like to bet on raven fights. Sometimes young people get together afterwards for awhile.

She blushes.

But this must just be a small thing for you. You look like you've traveled everywhere. I'm sure you've seen much bigger festivals and celebrations. Tell me what it is like out in the world, in the towns and cities.

sirveaux
2012-03-02, 08:53 AM
After the meeting with the mayor, Marden's keeping his eyes open:

Marden spins a tale of several fascinating sights and sounds culled from his life in the circus:

Perform(Oratory): [roll1]

After his tale, Marden turns to speak with Shel further:

"Well, I am certainly honored to serve the lovely Queen of the Festival. May I have the privilege to escort you today?"

Marden offers his arm with a warm smile.

"Tell me, how are these games played, and what treasures await the victors?"

Edit: I couldn't get the color text to work on my Kindle, so I had to add it in now, sorry

Xeno55
2012-03-03, 06:56 AM
Hasra

With the thought of the festivities starting in a few hours and his drinking being a bit delayed due to a lack of a tavern Hasra decides to examine the ruined church a bit closer to see the craftmanship that went into its construction and maybe what caused it's collapse.

Originally the heart of Ravenmoor, this old church of Desna has been abandoned for many years. An investigation of the ruined interior finds a single crude idol of Desna, more akin to a gourd-faced and straw-stuffed scarecrow than a proper statue, sagging against the pulpit wall.

Xeno55
2012-03-03, 07:12 AM

Shel is sincere in her fascination with Marden, but there are things she is not telling him.

Marden spins a tale of several fascinating sights and sounds culled from his life in the circus:

Perform(Oratory): [roll1]

Shel is wildly impressed.

After his tale, Marden turns to speak with Shel further:

"Well, I am certainly honored to serve the lovely Queen of the Festival. May I have the privilege to escort you today?"

Marden offers his arm with a warm smile.

"Tell me, how are these games played, and what treasures await the victors?"

Edit: I couldn't get the color text to work on my Kindle, so I had to add it in now, sorry

Shel describes the games in more detail.

After the games is the founder's feast. This is when three of the maidens of the village compete to be the queen of the festival. We tell the story of how Iola Kriegler, priestess of Desna, saved the town from the blight. The village was starving, the crops were ruined. But Desna sent swarms of moths, which took the blight upon their wings and flew away from Ravenmoor.

After the festival is the time for dreams. The village sleeps more deeply, partly because people hope that Desna will visit them in their dreams. Sometimes I sneak out and go to the standing stones, it is so quiet and peaceful to look up at the night sky while the village sleeps.

sirveaux
2012-03-03, 09:16 AM
Marden considers Shel's words as they walk along.

"Desna, you say? Interesting. Shel, I'd like to get to know you better, away from prying eyes... Do you think we might have time to go see these "standing stones" before the festival?"

As they continue, Marden makes conversation, asking what Shel does day to day, what she dreams about during these festivals, and exactly what the Queen of the Festival gets to do.

If I need a Diplomacy roll, here goes: [roll0]

fizzure
2012-03-03, 11:02 AM
Hasra

Upon seeing the idol of Desna Hasra is confused and sickened. Speaking softly to himself he asks "Who would desecrate and idol of Desna and for what purpose?" Hasra turns to leave the church to report his findings to the party.

Xeno55
2012-03-03, 12:47 PM
Shel continues to speak about herself and the village as she leads
Marden to the circle of stone:

This large ring of black river stones and tall, stacked rock
columns encompasses an open-air amphitheater built against
a steeply sloped sandstone outcropping. Stone benches sit
nearby, while a misshapen wicker and corn-husk figure with
mossy canvas wings looms over an altar stone at the far side.
Many of these stone megaliths can be found in the
Ravenmoor hinterlands—so-called “troll rocks” of popular
local legend (supposedly fragments from immense rock
trolls that succumbed to the petrifying light of the sun).
Slanted stone pews interrupt overgrown weeds and flank
a central aisle terminating at a small raised dais. A stone
altar sits upon this stage, and a life-sized wicker and cornhusk
representation of Desna looms above, depicted in a
kneeling pose, her mossy canvas wings spread wide and
crawling with spiders.

sirveaux
2012-03-03, 01:34 PM
"Why, how lovely..." Marden begins. "I can see why you like it here. What exactly is this used for? Or is it still in use?"

As Shel begins to answer, Marden excuses himself for a quick privy. Once out of eye/earshot, he casts Detect Magic. When he returns, he sneaks a quick peck on the cheek for Shel before listening to her reply. He also asks if she can elaborate on the Queen's duties.

I don't know how you treat spellcasting around townsfolk (in my current table campaign it's a huge risk), hence the "bathroom break"

Xeno55
2012-03-04, 08:54 AM
I don't know how you treat spellcasting around townsfolk (in my current table campaign it's a huge risk), hence the "bathroom break"

Yes, spellcasting is generally quite noticeable. You detect no magical auras.

Here we worship Desna, of course. What better place to worship her than under the stars? All those stones are probably don't seem like much to a traveler like you, but it all is much more dramatic under the moonlight.

The festival Queen does not have any duties, it's just for fun. Well, she does tell the founder's tale, but that is part of the competition to become festival queen, not part of being the Queen. I still really hope to win though.

We should be getting back, the festival will start soon.

sirveaux
2012-03-04, 11:23 AM
"As you say, milady. Lead the way."

As they walk, Marden makes more small talk with Shel. He asks her how she likes the village, and if she has any interest in travel. Once back to the village, Marden asks her to save him a seat, then excuses himself. He goes to meet the rest of the party to see what they've found out

rb780nm
2012-03-04, 11:23 AM
While Marden wanders off with the girl, Johanna heads for the center of the village, looking for a drink or something to eat.

fizzure
2012-03-04, 12:41 PM
Hasra

Hasra heads backs to where the festival is held to find the party members. He explains to them what he found in the church and how the desecration of the Desna idol seems strange to him since that's who they claim to worship.

sirveaux
2012-03-04, 01:36 PM
When the party regroups, Marden compares notes with everyone. Specifically, he speaks with Hasra about the Desna temple. He relates his story about the standing stones, along with directions and his own observations. He suggests the rest of the party check it out as they have time.

He further relates the pertinent details of his time with Shel, including his feeling she was holding something back. He tells them what he's learnedly about the festival, and notes he hopes to get more Intel after the festival

Xeno55
2012-03-04, 09:12 PM
While Marden wanders off with the girl, Johanna heads for the center of the village, looking for a drink or something to eat.

There is no tavern or similar building, but they have opened a barrel of ale on the festival grounds. Johanna is able to purchase a drink.

Xeno55
2012-03-04, 09:25 PM
As the party compares notes it looks like the festival is starting to get underway. A bonfire is ready to be lit, tables have been set up, hay bails are arranged for some kind of shooting contest, and other more mysterious arrangements are made, including leading a pig into a pen.

The mayor is striding over to speak with the adventurers, presumably to invite them to the festivities. So if anyone wants to look at anything or do anything before the festival starts now is the time.

fizzure
2012-03-04, 09:51 PM
Hasra

"So Marden, you had quite the pretty lass with ya. You really know how to turn the charm on, eh?" Hasra's stomach is violently reacting to it being empty. He wishes this festival would get on it's way so he can grab some food and drink and rest his feet for a bit.

He seeks a seat closest to a barrel of ale so he can refill a cup in the shortest amount of time. "Johanna, seeking a drink? I've spotted us a nice sittin' place close to the barrel."

rb780nm
2012-03-04, 10:00 PM
"I hope there are more kegs hidden around here somewhere!" Johanna laughs after she drains her drink, smiling at the man acting as bartender for the night.

sirveaux
2012-03-05, 10:05 AM
Marden chuckles at Hasra's remark. "Now who's the charmer? You flatter me, Hasra. Sometimes the ol' personality shines through better than others. It's not always effective, as Johanna can attest." Marden chuckles again, reminded of the horribly botched drunken pass he'd made at Johanna during their time at the circus.

"Any rate, I'll definitely be needing a swig or two myself... Where'd you say that barrel was?"

Xeno55
2012-03-05, 05:45 PM
In the center of the festival grounds the bonfire is lit and slowly begins to catch. The mayor joins the adventurers, excited at having visitors at the start of the festival.

Welcome, all! One of our competitions is falling stars. Perhaps you would each like to give it a try! It is simple enough, you take six star knives and six throws at the targets on the hay bundles. A simple game, yet requiring skill, dexterity and luck to win!

Another villager presents a box holding six antique looking starknives, scratched and a little rusty.

Starknives are a martial weapon. Players who choose to compete simply make 6 die rolls with appropriate modifiers.

sirveaux
2012-03-05, 06:17 PM
As he and his companions who try the game make their throws, Marden spins a tale regarding a halfling cleric of Desna who travelled with his circus for a time. Her skill with the starknife was so great, she once saved a falling tightrope walker by pinning him to a support pillar mid-fall.

Inspire courage - +1 to Attack rolls
Throw 1 - [roll0]
Throw 2 - [roll1]
Throw 3 - [roll2]
Throw 4 - [roll3]
Throw 5 - [roll4]
Throw 6 - [roll5]

After his throws, Marden looks for a draught of ale

fizzure
2012-03-05, 07:53 PM
Hasra

"Hmm, not bad Marden" Walking up to the line to try his hand Hasra says "Now watch this".

Throw 1 1d20+1
Throw 2 1d20+1
Throw 3 1d20+1
Throw 4 1d20+1
Throw 5 1d20+1
Throw 6 1d20+1

Should we be using our attack modifier, does it matter hehe?

fizzure
2012-03-05, 07:55 PM
Crap trying again :)

Throw 1 [roll0]
Throw 2 [roll1]
Throw 3 [roll2]
Throw 4 [roll3]
Throw 5 [roll4]
Throw 6 [roll5]

Xeno55
2012-03-05, 07:56 PM
You should use all modifiers, including the -4 if you lack proficiency in martial weapons.

rb780nm
2012-03-05, 08:04 PM
"Allow me to demonstrate how this should be done," Johanna says as she takes the knives.

She laughs ironically as one of the blades flies wildly into the darkness.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Xeno55
2012-03-05, 08:27 PM
The villagers competing in the game are terrible, it seems clear that none of them have proficiency in starknives.

Johanna has won! She is awarded a garland of flowers with a wooden replica of a starknife. The replica is held together with some kind of spiderwebby substance. It is placed over her neck by a young man who blushes while doing so.

The mayor is thrilled with her victory:

Congratulations my dear! Your skill is formidable. And the one missed toss - it could happen to anyone. You have won yourself a place at my table for the feast! Let's see if others of your party can do as well.

Xeno55
2012-03-05, 08:28 PM
Damien (Kira 5th) is not keeping up with the posting requirements of at least once a day. So Damien is inactive. Party members may wish to PM or email Kira to see what is up. You may also want to consider recruiting a new character, as there will likely be an end of scenario combat that is too much for just three characters.

Xeno55
2012-03-05, 08:38 PM
The bonfire is now beginning to blaze, and party members may notice children playing a game where they jump over the fire.

Mayor:

Perhaps two of you would like to compete in the three legged race?

Or you might want to bet on the raven fights? I don't imagine you have a creature of your own to fight?

Soon it will be time for the greased pig contest - surely one or two of you would like to win that competition?

fizzure
2012-03-05, 09:58 PM
Hasra

"Good throwing Johanna. I woulda won but the smoke from the bonfire was waterin' my eyes. My legs aren't much use in a race cause they are stubby and I don't have a bird to fly. I would be interested in wrestling that pig to the ground though." Hasra takes a deep draught out of his mug and wipes the overflow on his sleeve.

sirveaux
2012-03-05, 10:29 PM
As the mayor speaks, Marden grabs two mugs filled to the brim with ale.

"Well then, Lady Johanna, I guess that just leaves us for the three-legged race. May I have this dance?"

Marden finishes both mugs of ale, and appears to be scanning the competition.

fizzure
2012-03-07, 03:18 PM
Hasra

Hasra bites off a mouthful of beef and chugs more ale. "When do you think the three legged race will get started? I'm anxious to win that greased pig competition! Hasra takes another deep drink of ale "I've think I've drunk too much ale, has anyone spotted a privy?"

rb780nm
2012-03-07, 03:31 PM
"By all means, Sir Marden," Johanna replies. Dropping her voice, she whispers "we might not want to win all the games - wouldn't do to put the locals off side this early in the night..."

sirveaux
2012-03-07, 04:30 PM
"Working on it..."

Marden grins slightly at Johanna as he steps to grab another couple mugs of ale. He scans the crowd as he walks to see if Shel is looking for him or appears to be saving him a seat.

Perception - 1d20+5

After snagging another couple of brews, Marden rejoins Johanna, ready to participate in the race

Edit:

OK, I give up. After three tries, the roller's not working for me right now. X, if you would be so kind...

rb780nm
2012-03-07, 05:36 PM
"Where's your girlfriend got to?" Johanna asked Marden.

This is a test roll: [roll0]

sirveaux
2012-03-07, 05:46 PM
After checking to make sure this is a private conversation, Marden replies with a wicked grin:

"No idea. But you investigate your way, and I'll investigate mine."

Marden winks at Johanna, and polishes off his tankards.

Likewise, test roll: [roll0]

Edit:

Are you serious, bro? How am I screwing this up? I'm cutting and pasting exactly like I have been. :smallmad:

fizzure
2012-03-07, 06:28 PM
You probably already know this but anytime I put in the #roll# script and preview my post that screws it up.

Xeno55
2012-03-08, 08:13 AM
The three lagged race is a 150' run. Competitors have one leg from each person tied to one leg of the other, giving them in effect three legs. Base movement per round is 15'. Players may attempt to double move, going 30', this requires an Acrobatics DC 10 from each player. Players may run, going 60', this requires an Acrobatics DC 15 from each player. Failing an Acrobatics check reduces speed to 15', failing by 5 or more means the character fails. It is Acrobatics DC 10 to get backup from falling.

With this in mind Marden and Johanna must decide how fast to move for how many rounds, and then each must make Acrobatics checks. You may plot out as many rounds as you like. For example you could do two rounds at base move, and then attempt two rounds running, and then roll the checks for the two rounds running.

Xeno55
2012-03-08, 08:20 AM
A pair of brawny villagers bring a squealing pig into
the enclosure. To the cheers of a growing crowd, the men
slather the increasingly agitated pig liberally in slippery
grease before tying the end of the rope around its neck
to a post.

This is the traditional greased pig chase. The rules are
simple. Three contestants enter the ring and the pig is
released from its rope. The contestants then scramble to
be the first to catch the pig and pin it to the ground. The winner
of the contest gets bragging rights and the choicest cut of the
pig later during the feast.

Hasra is pitted against two villagers.

Hasra has initiative - He may move and grapple first, or allow the villagers to go first.

rb780nm
2012-03-08, 10:21 AM
Unless i've made a math error, Johanna's chance of not failing at all for 5 rounds double move is ~34%. Her chance at not falling over for two rounds running and one double move to finish is ~28%

However, the chance of falling over is small (assuming a nat 1 is a fall, I'd fall at least once on a double move 22% of the time), and if we ran/ran/double, the chance of falling is about 40%

the expected time to finish with double moves is about 5 + .66(from a stumble)+ .22(from a fall) ~ 6 rounds (this is not strictly accurate as I've missed the possibilities of multiple stumbles and I've not accounted for the fact that a fall is also a stumble...)

if we run, the expected time would be 3+.72+.4 ~4.1 rounds

"Do we want to win?" Johanna asks "If we do, I think our best bet is to go flat out until we establish a lead - assuming you can keep your feet under you - and then ease off so we don't fall. If we can't get a lead to start with, then we won't win anyway."

sirveaux
2012-03-08, 10:26 AM
RB:

I leave it to you. You can obviously do the math (probably better than I can), so I won't bore you with detail. Suffice to say, there's no reason not to at least double move every turn. I haven't had the best luck on rolls, but I'm willing to chance it if you are.

Edit: Ninja'd... and I was right. You can do the math WAAAAAAY better than I can :smallwink:

Fizz:

Thanks for the head's up. I've tried it in (I think) all permutations, I think the way I did those rolls has worked before. But maybe I'm wrong. Let me know if Marden can help you.

X:

Are you going to allow me to use Inspire Competence here? Figured I should run it by you first. Thanks

sirveaux
2012-03-08, 10:37 AM
"Good thinking, Johanna. We don't want to seem as though we're pushing them around, but we can't let them blister us, either. I wonder if they wouild take winning as a display of prowess, and therefore be more willing to deal...?"

New day, new attempt to roll. Let's give 'er the ol' Knowledge (Local):

Ok, that roll worked. May I revisit yesterday's Perception roll looking for Shel? If so, here goes: [roll]1d20+5

Nuts.

rb780nm
2012-03-08, 12:11 PM
You can't edit in rolls - they only work on the first go at a post. Also, as mentioned above, previewing screws them up.

Xeno55
2012-03-08, 12:34 PM
Are you going to allow me to use Inspire Competence here? Figured I should run it by you first. Thanks

Inspire confidence works, as well as impressing the crowd.

Xeno55
2012-03-08, 12:36 PM
"Good thinking, Johanna. We don't want to seem as though we're pushing them around, but we can't let them blister us, either. I wonder if they wouild take winning as a display of prowess, and therefore be more willing to deal...?"

Your impression of small town life is that success in festival activities is admired, while just making a good effort at least shows that you are not putting yourself above them.

rb780nm
2012-03-08, 12:45 PM
In that case, I suggest we run/run/double-move (or run if we stumbled either of the first two legs)

Johanna's rolls

1) [roll0] dc 15
2) [roll1] dc 15
3) [roll2] dc 10 (or 15)

lol hopefully the roller will be as kind to Marden!

sirveaux
2012-03-08, 01:09 PM
If Inspire Competence works on me as well as allies, add +2 to these, if not, no worries:

DC 15 - [roll0]
DC 15 - [roll1]
DC 10/15 - [roll2]

Edit:

Yikes. Guess we don't need to worry about showing the villagers up

Xeno55
2012-03-08, 01:39 PM
Twice Marden fails to run, but avoids falling. On the third try he falls. Total distance moved: 30'.

Marden and Johhana attempt to stand up:

[roll0]
[roll1]

They are standing again, and may make new decisions regarding speed, and may make new rolls.

Meanwhile:

One pair of villagers fell at 15', and have now stood up again.

Another pair of villagers made it to 30'.

And a third pair has actually made it to 45', and is in the lead!

The crowd goes wild. Bets are made. Shel is cheering for Marden.

sirveaux
2012-03-08, 02:02 PM
RB:

I vote we double-move the rest of the way, and let what happens happens. With our bonuses, we can't fall, and it'll look like a good contest either way. Nat 1s/20s aren't auto-fails/auto-successes (by RAW anyway), and it looks like X is counting Inspire Competence

rb780nm
2012-03-08, 03:12 PM
Double moves the rest of the way - four rounds if we make it all the way...

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

If we stumble, we'll need a few more rounds to get there...
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

fizzure
2012-03-08, 03:27 PM
Hasra

Hasra cheers Marden and Johanna from the pig pen as he gets ready to catch the pig. He's able to catch a few glimpses of the three legged race.

He proceeds to pull his belt a notch tighter so they don't drop as he grapples the pig. Hasra decides to move first, he closes the distance to the pig from behind and makes his attempt.

[roll0] Grapple the Pig

sirveaux
2012-03-08, 05:35 PM
Double-moves the rest of the way (inspire competence)
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Xeno55
2012-03-08, 10:10 PM
And the winners are ... Johanna and Marden!

Each are awarded a garland of flowers with a small wooden symbol of three legs, held together with some kind of web like substance.

Each are congratulated by the mayor, and are guaranteed a spot at the mayor's table for the feast to come.

Xeno55
2012-03-08, 10:23 PM
Hasra

He proceeds to pull his belt a notch tighter so they don't drop as he grapples the pig. Hasra decides to move first, he closes the distance to the pig from behind and makes his attempt.

Hasra grapples the pig successfully on the first try. Only there is something wrong with the pig. Possibly it is sick. Or maybe it is drugged. It is sluggish, and not fighting the grapple as it should.

The animal squeals, only it sounds more like a terrified child than like a pig. An additional pair of legs sprout from its body and its eyes turn pitch black
with no visible whites, while a number of flytraplike jaws sprout from its back. One of these jaws is large enough to snap and bite at foes.

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w459/Tim_Carleton/pig-1.jpg

Hasra is attacked:

[roll0]

Xeno55
2012-03-08, 10:24 PM
Confirming Crit

[roll0]

Crit misses. Hasra takes 5 points of damage. He also makes a fortitude save against tendrils.

Hasra may act this round. Marden and Johanna are surprised and may not act yet.

rb780nm
2012-03-08, 11:02 PM
"Crap! What is that thing?" Johanna gasped, fumbling for her weapons.

fizzure
2012-03-09, 08:28 AM
Hasra

"What in the bloody hells is this thing!" Hasra tightens his grip and reaches for the hempen rope in his pack. Hasra screams "Marden! Johanna! I'm gonna need a little help here!"

Making a couple of assumptions here. Do I still have the pig grappled after the transformation? If so I'd like to try and pin the pig and then bind it with rope.

I checked the grapple rules at www.d20pfsrd.com and I'm not seeing where another check needs to be made? Please help me understand the rules :smallsmile:

HP: 21
AC: 21
CMD: 19

Xeno55
2012-03-09, 09:02 AM
The creature is still grappled by you. You may convert the grapple to a pin with a CMB +5 roll, as described below, or take other actions.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/combat.html#grapple

Grapple

As a standard action, you can attempt to grapple a foe, hindering his combat options. If you do not have Improved Grapple, grab, or a similar ability, attempting to grapple a foe provokes an attack of opportunity from the target of your maneuver. Humanoid creatures without two free hands attempting to grapple a foe take a –4 penalty on the combat maneuver roll. If successful, both you and the target gain the grappled condition (see the Appendices). If you successfully grapple a creature that is not adjacent to you, move that creature to an adjacent open space (if no space is available, your grapple fails). Although both creatures have the grappled condition, you can, as the creature that initiated the grapple, release the grapple as a free action, removing the condition from both you and the target. If you do not release the grapple, you must continue to make a check each round, as a standard action, to maintain the hold. If your target does not break the grapple, you get a +5 circumstance bonus on grapple checks made against the same target in subsequent rounds. Once you are grappling an opponent, a successful check allows you to continue grappling the foe, and also allows you to perform one of the following actions (as part of the standard action spent to maintain the grapple).

Move: You can move both yourself and your target up to half your speed. At the end of your movement, you can place your target in any square adjacent to you. If you attempt to place your foe in a hazardous location, such as in a wall of fire or over a pit, the target receives a free attempt to break your grapple with a +4 bonus.

Damage: You can inflict damage to your target equal to your unarmed strike, a natural attack, or an attack made with armor spikes or a light or one-handed weapon. This damage can be either lethal or nonlethal.

Pin: You can give your opponent the pinned condition (see Conditions). Despite pinning your opponent, you still only have the grappled condition, but you lose your Dexterity bonus to AC.

Tie Up: If you have your target pinned, otherwise restrained, or unconscious, you can use rope to tie him up. This works like a pin effect, but the DC to escape the bonds is equal to 20 + your Combat Maneuver Bonus (instead of your CMD). The ropes do not need to make a check every round to maintain the pin. If you are grappling the target, you can attempt to tie him up in ropes, but doing so requires a combat maneuver check at a –10 penalty. If the DC to escape from these bindings is higher than 20 + the target's CMB, the target cannot escape from the bonds, even with a natural 20 on the check.

fizzure
2012-03-09, 10:05 AM
Hasra

Thanks Xeno. I figured out why I couldn't find the rule. My brower is turning the grapple rules in the PRD to garbeled text for some reason?? I need to start brining my rule book to work, that would get me some weird looks heheh.

To convert the grapple to a pinned condition this round

[roll]1d20+7-10 To tie up the following round

fizzure
2012-03-09, 10:06 AM
Hasra

Let me try that again

[roll0] -10

To tie up the following round

sirveaux
2012-03-09, 11:30 AM
Marden turns from waving and receiving congratulations from the crowd to face the commotion behind him. His expression changes from celebration to confusion and he struggles to ready himself. He tries to identify the beast before him

Dungeoneering check for whenever that's appropriate: [roll0]

rb780nm
2012-03-09, 12:30 PM
It's a bulbasaur!

sirveaux
2012-03-09, 01:07 PM
RB:

I literally had to Google that. Didn't know if you were serious or making it up :smalltongue:

Xeno55
2012-03-09, 09:11 PM
Hasra almost pins the creature but fails. He does maintain the grapple. The creature, rather than fighting the grapple, attacks.

[roll0]

The creature misses.

Hasra and the other party members may take actions.

Xeno55
2012-03-09, 09:13 PM
Dungeoneering check for whenever that's appropriate: [roll0]

Marden fails to identify the strange creature.

You can try another knowledge skill this round if you wish.

sirveaux
2012-03-09, 09:58 PM
Marden considers the creature for a moment, and then begins to cavort about in a slapstick manner, hoping to draw the eye of the beast:

Knowledge (Nature) (?): [roll0]
Fascinate - DC 14

rb780nm
2012-03-09, 11:30 PM
Johanna draws her pistol and advances upon the pen.

Are the locals surprised by this turn of events?

Xeno55
2012-03-10, 07:48 AM
Knowledge (Nature) (?): [roll0]
Fascinate - DC 14

The creature seems unaffected by fascination. It is unnatural, whatever it is.

Xeno55
2012-03-10, 07:51 AM
Are the locals surprised by this turn of events?

The locals are afraid and disgusted, but not as surprised as they could be.

fizzure
2012-03-10, 12:59 PM
Hasra

Hasra struggles to avoid the bites from the plant like creature on the pigs back. He continues to hold on tight and strike with his hands.

"Guys I don't think this thing is anyone's pet, get up here and lets take it down!"

[roll0] Roll to maintain grapple
[roll1] Unarmed strike to pig thing

Xeno55
2012-03-11, 11:34 AM
Hasra maintains his grapple on...whatever it is.

In return it attempts to bite:

[roll0]

Xeno55
2012-03-11, 11:37 AM
Hasra is bit! He takes 11 points of damage.

Fortitude Save: [roll0]

In addition he is infested by quickly growing, semi-animate tangles of fungal growths—he becomes entangled by as if by green rope or string coming out of his body.

All characters may take actions.

fizzure
2012-03-12, 06:48 AM
Hasra

Hasra grimaces in pain as he's bit. "Alright no more rollin around". Hasra releases his grapple on the pig thing, draws his dwarven axe and takes a hard swing at the creature.

Release the creature as a free action, drawing my weapon as a move action and taking a swing at it

[roll0]-To hit
[roll1]-Damage if I hit

HP: 15
AC: 21
FORT:5
REF:3
WILL:0

Xeno55
2012-03-12, 07:07 AM
Hasra just barely misses the disgusting creature.

Other characters may take actions.

sirveaux
2012-03-12, 09:45 AM
Despite the low Knowledge roll, Marden is certain that he is in fact looking at a "Hasra." :smallbiggrin:

"ALL RIGHT! No more Mr. Cordial Guy!"

Marden moves to get a better line of sight against the Pig-Flytrap-Thing, pulling his whip as he strides. He then makes a few low utterances and jerky hand motions in the direction of the beast.

I don't recall if PF fluff has Bards cast in the same manner as Sorcerers/Wizards, or if it's more performance-based. Either way, casting Sleep DC: 14

Xeno55
2012-03-12, 10:27 AM
The sleep spell is ineffective.

Johanna and Damien are up.

rb780nm
2012-03-12, 10:43 AM
Johanna levels her pistol at the beast, taking her shot.

Using 1 grit for Up close and deadly.

[roll0] vs Touch

Damage: [roll1]
Up close and deadly [roll2]

I'm guessing that's a miss, but if so, the deed turns it into a graze for 5/2 damage (I don't recall which way to round in PF)

Xeno55
2012-03-12, 11:27 AM
The grotesque creature is hit and is damaged.

fizzure
2012-03-15, 10:35 AM
Can I take a turn if Damien isn't responding?

Never mind, pigs turn isn't it?

Xeno55
2012-03-15, 12:14 PM
Damien is hereby declared inactive. Do you want to recruit a replacement?

The creature attacks Hasra:

[roll0]

Hasra is missed, characters may take actions.

sirveaux
2012-03-16, 10:59 AM
Marden moves into position to attack the beast:

Trip (w/improved trip, using whip):
[roll0]

Fudge.

fizzure
2012-03-16, 11:44 AM
Hasra

Concentrating on the beasts back growths Hasra pulls back his arm and aims his dwarven axe to deliver a mighty blow.

[roll0] -1 Power Attack
[roll1] +2 Damage

Xeno55
2012-03-16, 12:02 PM
Hasra slays the...whatever it is. The pig itself was already dead, and now the plant like thing is also dead.

A shocked silence descends over the festival grounds.

sirveaux
2012-03-16, 02:03 PM
Marden puts away his whip, and walks over to raise Hasra's arm:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, your winner: the mighty HAS-RA!!!"

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Marden whispers to Hasra:

"gods, what was that? you alright, Has?"

fizzure
2012-03-16, 10:16 PM
Hasra proceeds to holster his axe and assess any injuries he sustained during the fight. Turing to address Marden he lowers his voice "Aye it was quite the fight, that was an unusual and unnatural creature. There is something within this town that is not as it seems. I was unable to identify what type of creature may have taken hold of that pig but we must investigate!"

rb780nm
2012-03-17, 12:34 AM
The threat abated, Johanna slips a fresh charge from her belt and load her pistol. The weapon ready, she replaces it back in her belt and walks up to the pen.

Xeno55
2012-03-18, 06:54 AM
The silence is broken by a round of scattered applause.

The mayor:

Well, yes, you are the victor, without question. Although this is not how the contest is supposed to work, no not at all.

The mayor signals to a young maiden, who places a garland of flowers with a wood carving of a pig over Hasra's neck.

Most unusual. Sometimes bad magic gets into the pigs, but never at a festival. Never like this. Still it didn't faze you at all, did it? So you are the winner, and you do gain a seat at my table. Congratulations, and another round of applause!

This time the applause is louder and more sustained.

Xeno55
2012-03-18, 07:57 AM
The feast begins! All characters are seated at the mayor's table.

There are a variety of local delicacies provided, and it would certainly be rude to fail to partake. On the other hand it could be prudent to consider the possibility of passing on some dishes.

The more unusual offerings include: black mushrooms, flayleaf salad, fried silkworms, smoked tick legs, and stirge blood sausage.

Players must decide what they will or will not eat, and may participate in conversation at the table.

sirveaux
2012-03-18, 07:29 PM
Marden eats heartily, appreciative of the villagers' efforts. He picks around what he knows to be harmful, while making jovial conversation and attempting to charm the other guests.

Perform (Comedy): [roll0]
What manner of roll might tell me which foods to avoid?

fizzure
2012-03-20, 06:45 AM
Hasra

Hasra graciously accepts the praise and waves to the crowd "Aye, that was some sort of strange magic to be infesting a pig that way." Hasra bellies up to the feast to gorge himself being mighty hungry after the fight. He picks out the foods that are familiar to him and watches Marden for direction. He lightly taps his foot to Marden's playing.

I was getting email alerts when new posts came up, something is broken, hmmmm.

rb780nm
2012-03-20, 01:36 PM
Johanna tries the mushrooms and the salad, but is unable to convincer herself to try the various bug-derived foodstuffs.

Xeno55
2012-03-22, 04:43 PM
Marden eats heartily, appreciative of the villagers' efforts. He picks around what he knows to be harmful, while making jovial conversation and attempting to charm the other guests.

Perform (Comedy): [roll0]
What manner of roll might tell me which foods to avoid?

Perhaps knowledge: nature would be most appropriate, but if I were you I would try a roll on every knowledge I had.

sirveaux
2012-03-23, 10:34 AM
OK, here we go:

Knowledge Checks:
Arcana - [roll0]
Dungeoneering - [roll1]
Engineering - [roll2]
Geography - [roll3]
History - [roll4]
Local - [roll5]
Nature - [roll6]
Nobility - [roll7]
Planes - [roll8]
Religion - [roll9]

I hope all those rolls worked

sirveaux
2012-03-23, 10:39 AM
Following up on Hasra's conversation, Marden attempts to parlay his newfound popularity with his hosts into a bit of information:

"Aye, strange indeed, Hasra. Let us be grateful for your prowess, lest we have one empty place at the table! Someone mentioned that such an occurance was not altogether unheard of. What might that blight have been?"

fizzure
2012-03-23, 07:03 PM
Hasra

Hasra addresses Marden
"Aye, that thing put up quite a fight. I'm glad to hear you might have missed me. Unfortunately my education as a younger dwarf didn't include aberration in my studies."

Hasra turns to engage the mayor in conversation

"So the villagers didn't seem too shocked after the fight with that pig creature was over. What can you tell us about it, have you seen something like that before?"

[roll0] Might Diplomacy help? Can Marden or another party member aid my roll?

Umm..wow...not much aiding that