PDA

View Full Version : Ordering the books

kickassfrog
2012-02-17, 07:16 PM
So, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum, but I'll give it a shot.

I've been reading for a while now, and recently decided I would like to get the books (beginning with start of darkness) to get to know more about the backstory.
However, looking on ookoodook.com, the shipping costs about a dollar more than the book itself.
Is there any way to order to avoid that, or (long shot, I know) will the books ever be released as a direct download?

ThePhantasm
2012-02-17, 07:35 PM
There's no way to avoid it that I'm aware of. Also, the Giant has said he has no plans to make PDF versions of the books... ever.

The best thing to do would be to see if your local comic book / gaming shop has copies.

Goosefeather
2012-02-17, 07:39 PM
Have a look at the various options available on the current Kickstarter (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599092525/the-order-of-the-stick-reprint-drive) drive. I live in Europe, and the option I went for actually works out cheaper than buying the books I wanted via Ookoodook once you factor in shipping - plus you get bonus PDF stories!

MyNameIsSecret
2012-02-17, 07:46 PM
I second Phantasm's comment. You can also get SoD for reasonable prices on Amazon, but not OtOoPCs (the only copies I've seen have been expensive - $50 or more).

ORione
2012-02-17, 08:07 PM
I second Phantasm's comment. You can also get SoD for reasonable prices on Amazon, but not OtOoPCs (the only copies I've seen have been expensive - $50 or more).

That will change after the Kickstarter drive.

The Derider
2012-02-17, 08:11 PM
I'd strongly suggest donating to the fundraiser, it's a much more efficient way of getting those books in terms of shipping.

MyNameIsSecret
2012-02-17, 08:52 PM
That will change after the Kickstarter drive.

I expect it will.

Morgan Wick
2012-02-19, 05:16 PM
The best thing to do would be to see if your local comic book / gaming shop has copies.

This can't be emphasized enough. It's probably the best solution for someone in your situation (aside from possibly the Kickstarter).

fergo
2012-02-19, 05:35 PM
Actually, this seems like a good opportunity to ask a question that has been bugging me for a while.

Much to my regret, I simply can't afford to splash out and buy all the books now. Yes, I know it's the best chance I have to do it, but it's just not possible :smallfrown:.

I'll hopefully be picking up the books I don't already have one or two at a time whenever I can justify the cost. However, this (as the original poster commented) definitely isn't cost-effective, what with the shipping prices to the UK!

So I was wondering if anyone knew whether the copies printed with the Kickstarter fund will be sent to gaming stores in the UK as well as in the US.

I know my local comic shop has had one or two OotS books in it before (long before I moved here or even knew what OotS was), but that isn't definitive.

Thanks for any answers :smallbiggrin:.

Skavensrule
2012-02-20, 03:37 AM
So I was wondering if anyone knew whether the copies printed with the Kickstarter fund will be sent to gaming stores in the UK as well as in the US.

Your best bet for this is to bug your "Friendly Local Game Store" to contact Ookoodook and/or thier supplier. If you can afford spending $81 right now, get the $67 "print only"+$10 shipping+$4 patch and you will have the books that are the hardest to get in stores for a very reasonable price. Best of luck to you as I am finding out how bad overseas shipping can be myself. For this project, no worries as I am using an APO AE and this uses USPS. When the products are being sent by FedEx, UPS, or (insert shipping company here) then I have to pay the rate to Germany (ouch).

Studoku
2012-02-20, 06:37 AM
I've found most of the books in the UK on various occasions- it just depends where you look. If you don't get the books from the kickstarter, the reprint will mean a lot more copies will be available and some of them will likely find their way to more shops.

fergo
2012-02-20, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm trying to resist the temptation to order all the books straight off... it'd cost somewhere around £130, which is insane... but I'd end up spending that money anyway... :smallannoyed: