PDA

View Full Version : What to do with 5pp?

Illithilich
2012-02-17, 09:10 PM
I am building a Kalashtar Soulknife for one of my players. She is level 5, so she gets 5 power points. Is there any way I could actually use these for anything?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-02-17, 09:15 PM
There is an ACF that lets SoulKnives get Hidden talent instead of Wild Talent and that apart from giving 2 PP it gives access to 1 level 1 power from any list, psionic minor creation is pretty nice to get poisons really cheap and you can use your Kalashtar PP to get more uses of it.

OTOH a psychic warrior with the soulbound weapon ACF does everything a soulknive is meant to and better, since you get actual powers. Kalashtar is an extremely good race for Psy wars as they are usually pretty PP starved,so I urge you consider that instead of soulknife or if your player must be a class named Soul Knife,port the PF which is pretty cool.

Both the ACF are found in the Mind's Eye web article (there are several so check them all) and the PF Soulknife is in the PF SRD

Cog
2012-02-17, 09:16 PM
The Soulknife ACF spoken of is here. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a)

Flickerdart
2012-02-17, 09:17 PM
A Deep Crystal weapon lets you expend 1 PP to add 2d6 damage. There are also gloves in the MIC that let you extend your melee range by spending PP.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-17, 09:20 PM
Is this 3.5 or PF?

If 3.5, leave the soulknife class behind and drive away at double the speed limit before it figures out what happens, and pick up that soulbound weapon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a) psychic warrior that needs a ride.

We need to know more about the character though.

Illithilich
2012-02-17, 09:35 PM
I think that she would be a Psychic Warrior just as fast as a soulknife. She seems to care more about the Kalashtar bit then what actual class she is playing. She has never done a psionic character before though, so we thought soul knife might be a bit easier. But I guess she can try it out and switch if she doesn't like it. So then, what is a decent build for a 5th level Kalashtar Psychic Warrior. (Also, its 3.5).

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-17, 09:52 PM
I think that she would be a Psychic Warrior just as fast as a soulknife. She seems to care more about the Kalashtar bit then what actual class she is playing. She has never done a psionic character before though, so we thought soul knife might be a bit easier. But I guess she can try it out and switch if she doesn't like it. So then, what is a decent build for a 5th level Kalashtar Psychic Warrior. (Also, its 3.5).

Expansion, Psionic Lion's Charge, Compression, Force Screen (Inertial Armor doesn't stack with armor, but this works as long as you're not using a shield with the same bonus or higher, which you shouldn't), Hustle.

Or you could just build her a psion and give her all the Energy powers for easy blasting.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-02-17, 10:03 PM
I suggest making the soulbound weapon a falchion and take Improved Critical, and enchant (or manifest as it may be) with mindfeeder so you get some tasty PP when you crit.

CIDE
2012-02-18, 09:35 PM
I've tried A Soulknife. I even tried a soulknife with houserules that allowed limited manifesting. Do not touch it with a ten foot pole unless you are just that deeply into the fluff for it.

I don't care what else you take. Just do not touch the Soulknife or allow your player to touch it.