PDA

View Full Version : Best Death in an RPG

GoblinGilmartin
2012-02-17, 09:30 PM
anyone have a good story of character death in a tabletop RPG?

I'll start:
RIP
malkavian film director, a Mr. Leeander Godfrey, died while wrestling a dragon made of fire conjured by a greater demon, saving the others in his group

MCerberus
2012-02-17, 10:21 PM
RIP Andy-R-ctr-2. I warned him that not being stunned by the beauty of Friend Computer's "flower arrangement center 238b" would be bad for him.

But no, I had to get the minigun turret hidden under a potted daisy out. (which he should have been honored to die this way, that daisy was waaaay above his clearance)

Geno9999
2012-02-18, 12:15 AM
RIP*: Lucius.
Oh how I regret not packing along a Restore Staff. For if I did, you would've been able to cure Raven of his magic-induced madness, instead of ironically dying by his hands.

*Only for so long before I restart the chapter again.

Acanous
2012-02-18, 02:02 AM
Thomas Numpton, who died while casting an epic devine spell from an epic scroll. Permanent character death was the material component :/
It rezzed the entire party, though. Because he was the only one to survive the Master Vampire followed by Crazy Vampire Hunters.

It was a good death for a Lv 10 Paladin.

Othesemo
2012-02-18, 03:50 AM
RIP Eln'Mastak, CE Rogue Assassin, killed as his wand of gravestrike spent its last charge. Forever shall he remain in our hearts and the stomachs of three separate zombified dragons.

Dragon Star
2012-02-18, 05:06 PM
Wrong subforum.

GoblinGilmartin
2012-02-18, 11:20 PM
how so? are you an admin? if not, please be quiet.

Vaynor
2012-02-18, 11:45 PM
The Red Towel: Moved to Roleplaying Games. For future reference, all topics regarding Roleplaying Games belong in this forum and its subforums (depending on type of game) and anything that does not fit in that category (such as video games and board games) belong in the Gaming (Other) forum.

Delwugor
2012-02-18, 11:58 PM
Am AD&D battle where only one character survived had some great deaths. My character (who started the fight) had his soul sucked from his still conscious body by a witch.
But the best was the last player to go down. He was running from the Fire Element that had been summoned. Every once in a while he'd stop and throw a Javelin of Lightning at it. He gets to a cave and as the reduced size elemental attempts to get in he throws his last Javelin. Of course that was the absolute best time to roll a 1 with fumble rules. The Javelin strikes the ground between him and the elemental killing them both spectacularly.
We rolled on the floor laughing throughout the night and that almost TPK became one of my favorite D&D sessions.

GoblinGilmartin
2012-02-19, 12:07 AM
Okay, well, then i was wrong, cool.

I'm loving these epitaphs so far.

Totally Guy
2012-02-19, 02:32 AM
Rest in Peace Bernard Eckhard. His quest for honour saw him become a monster, his ends were betrayed by his means. Through his actions it was prophecised that his death would come from his own weapon. The prophecy was fulfilled out of shame.

DaMullet
2012-02-19, 03:26 AM
RIP Kevin Richardson, who converted his power armor into a briefcase nuke to prevent a phoenix from turning Atlanta into slag.

RIP Kelly Heyden, who was standing next to Kevin at the time.

--

RIP Abraxus Goldheart. You probably shouldn't have charged blindly into that dragon's cave.

RIP Abraxus Goldheart, resurrected, dragging a necromancer off a precipice to their mutual doom.

GoblinGilmartin
2012-02-19, 04:47 AM
Rest in Peace Bernard Eckhard. His quest for honour saw him become a monster, his ends were betrayed by his means. Through his actions it was prophecised that his death would come from his own weapon. The prophecy was fulfilled out of shame.

mind providing specifics? sounds interesting.

Kalmageddon
2012-02-19, 05:55 AM
RIP Elric Connely, he fired a Tesla cannon while in melee with a Super mutant behemoth, killing it with a single shot and saving the party but getting caught in the explosion. He was a 9nth level field medic.

RIP Everflame, Sacred fist of Kossuth, he used his soul as a thermonuclear device and leveled a good chunk of Cania in the Nine Hells, burning several thousand devils, which is kinda cool when you realize that devils are normally fireproof.

RIP Ranulf the technoviking, he charged a fighter jet in mid air using a jetpack, armed with a chainsaw. It didn't work.

Totally Guy
2012-02-19, 06:06 AM
mind providing specifics? sounds interesting.

Sure!

Bernard was a knight with a sad history and ambitions, he wanted to reclaim his ancestral polearm and have vengeance on his nemesis Reece Auburn who stole it and his life. He wanted to rejoin the king's legion of knights that he'd been separated from by the lies of his enemy.

Bernard's journey had brought him to the city of Art Cackles, a town with dreams of independence from it's distant king. Reece was now a bodyguard to a local nobleman. Bernard waited for an opportunity to kill his enemy without notice by the noble.

When the orcs came to flatten Art Cackles the town militarised to put up a resistance to the orcs. Bernard was on the same side in a greater conflict, when he turned on Reece mid battle he bought the orcs an advantage which cost more lives. Bernard tried to make up for it by killing the Orc Great One with his lucky arrow. He succeeded and was hailed as a hero!

He kept the head of Reece in a jar of brine. This reminded him of his sin.

Of course the Polearm was no longer with Reece, he'd given it onto a knight called Matchias from Bernard's old order. Bernard tracked him and his allies to Gold Rustle to talk with the elves.

Matchias and Jabel were young Knights. Jabel was of noble birth and was the leader of his patrol. Matchias was of a low background but had been doing very well for himself through his genuine and reciprocated friendship with Jabel. Matchias was Reece's nephew and he'd received the legendary polearm that Bernard sought from his uncle. But he'd given it to Jabel in order to have a masterwork gift to present the elves.

Bernard caught the pair and heard the tale. If he pursued his polearm the order of Knights he wanted to rejoin would never take him back. Bernard could not deal with this and killed Jabel, a lad of but 17. Matchias had lost everything, he'd given up his heirloom, lost his best friend and found his uncle's head in a jar of brine. Bernard escaped his wrath. He also stole from them the gift of a vial of starlight that the elves had presented to them.

Another member of Bernard's party was Thel the elf. He could pass prophecies onto people. Thel asked him how badly he wanted his weapon returned to him, as he may have sway with the elves. Bernard answered "With all my life, it is all I have left and it will be mine again."
Thel answered "Well that is what it will someday cost you."

Thel passed on this prophecy "You will die by your own ancestral polearm" and Bernard accepted his help.

Thel pulled some stings with the elven treasurer and demonstrated the Eckhard family's crest markings to prove ownership. The soldier's gift to them was a disgrace, but the elves had their starlight vial returned.

Bernard realised that this was all he had left.

He had turned on his own side in a war. He'd toted around a head in a jar like a madman. He'd killed a leader in the order of his knights and stolen the gift of starlight like a common thief. Matchias was a crushed lad who'd done nothing wrong and would certainly tell the order who had killed Jabel.

He certainly hadn't acted like the knight he wanted to be.

He sat in his room in the inn with his polearm and considered his destiny and his shame.

He fulfilled the prophecy himself, that very night.

Brauron
2012-02-19, 08:30 AM
Some deaths from campaigns I've run...

RIP Pleoh of the Peregrini, impaled through the chest by the tentacle of a Dark Young of Shub-Niggurath after destroying the cult following the foul aberration.

RIP Azulien Blackblade, vivisected by the Marilith BBEG after taunting her.

RIP Sir Aeron Cunedda, decapitated by a Nabasu.

RIP Father Grigori (last name sounds like a sneeze). Face blown off by a shotgun in a cultist's hideout. Last words were "I am the Way out of the Doleful City."

RIP Dr. Virgil Masters, snuffed out by the Mafia when he proved no longer useful to them. Died with a pillow held over his face in a hospital bed.

RIP Allen Marbury, gone insane and thrown himself into the middle of a three-way Mexican Standoff between his friends, a Cthulhu Cult, and a Hastur Cult, gun blazing.

RIP Eli Nimitz, driven psychosomatically blind by an eldritch abomination, hurling himself blindly at it to distract it from his friends, and being split in two by the constrictive action of a tentacle. Last words were Captain Ahab's final monologue addressing the Whale in Moby ****.

Maxios
2012-02-19, 11:02 AM
RIP Kevin Richardson, who converted his power armor into a briefcase nuke to prevent a phoenix from turning Atlanta into slag.
...what RPG system was this?

Fayd
2012-02-19, 11:48 AM
R.I.P. Carl Justice, Silver dragon-blooded Sorcerer (Pathfinder). One successful bluff and a Book of Exploding later, the enemy cleric was no longer a problem.

DaMullet
2012-02-19, 01:45 PM
...what RPG system was this?

Ostensibly d20 Modern, but I like to homebrew a lot.

Destro_Yersul
2012-02-19, 06:12 PM
I'd say RIP, but I don't think that's in store for Hieronymus Bosc. Possessed and betrayed, undefeated and uncowed by all he faced, from psychotic planet-spanning AI to horrible four-armed alien killing machines, he died at the hand of his own master while fighting his former side.

Gemini Lupus
2012-02-19, 07:26 PM
RIP: Alerion Stromewynde I, the first time that this character died, it was at the hands of one of his party members. We were level 4 or 5 and he was a Scythe-wielding Fighter with 20 Str and scored his first crit of the game, doing nearly max damage, against my multi-class Cleric/Sorcerer. He was under some sort of mind control and failed his Will save and attacked my character without realizing it. He made his role and was really excited, until he realized who it was against.

Note: I say first time he died, because it became a running joke that Alerion died at least 3x every session, which was mostly true. He was the only servant of a major deity and so basically had free true rezzes for the duration of the campaign. It was over 6 months before we had a session where Alerion didn't die and we were all shocked and amazed.

Swooper
2012-02-19, 07:36 PM
RIP Mxura Mwrr you magnificent bastard, killed by the contact poison on the sword that knighted you. Not before seeing your archnemesis toast your demise with the wine you poisoned, though.

RIP Ţrándur Stoneblazer (not my character), killed by the wormhole that opened in your stomach, two rounds after you jumped into the active volcano. The demonic robot invasion was stopped by your heroic sacrifice.

LibraryOgre
2012-02-19, 08:11 PM
In 4e, I had a minotaur paladin who held a duergar lord hostage so the rest of our battered party could flee. When they returned, they were greeted by a minotaur zombie.

I had a witch in Rifts commit suicide by holding off his demonic master so the party could escape.

We awoke at dawn of the last day. Something about that dawn seem crisper and purer than any dawn I'd ever seen before, and I knew that the day would be momentous beyond imagining.

We knew where the tomb was, roughly, so Nightfall and I flew in slow passes over the plateau, seeking out a magical signature that would tell us where He lay. Once we had him, we could go home. On the sixth pass, Nightfall motioned me down. He'd found the tomb. A rough hole cut into the wall, bearing a faded inscription. It was beyond my ken, until I flipped down the optics on my helmet, translating them from arcane script to my native Egyptian. "Let only he who is true enter here, for he who knows maliciousness shall surely fall." I knew maliciousness, that was before the Village of the Damned... not anymore.

We retrieved the others in quick order. Only Maelstrom, Nightfall, and I felt up to the task of going in... too main stains on the other's souls from this campaign, I suppose. A quarter mile in, we came to an archway. Nightfall read the Gaelic inscribed, and we found the trap... one set for he who entered with an impure heart. I stepped through, even though I knew my heart wasn't pure. I had to. My family, my clan, my people... my homeland... depended on us waking the man who lay in that sarcophagus. I passed through with nary a scratch... I wish I'd had time to wonder why.

We lifted the lid from the sarcophagus, and gently lifted out Arthur Pendragon, greatest warrior of Old Atlantis. He awoke, slowly, shaking off the dreams of twelve thousand years, looking at us quizzically. The others, Bagh-Dach, stood in awe. I kept my head, as Acheran do, and stepped forward with a bow.

"Arthur Pendragon, I am Harakhamis Arimi Acheran. May I present to you Nightfall and Maelstrom, of the Bagh-Dach clan?"

He seemed more at ease with his own clanmates there, and questioned me about the date. "It has been twelve thousand years since you last breathed, Arthur. There is much to do, and we will explain later."

He hesitated, wanting his sword, his armor. Why is it that warriors always want a sword? The Bagh-dach found it concealed in the room, and he seemed much relieved to have it on his hip, clanging against his armor. As we walked up, we spoke briefly of the situation with Atlantis, telling him of the loss of Atlantis and the ongoing campaign to reclaim it. He was not comforted by our news, but I did not expect him to be.

When we stepped onto the ledge overlooking the valley, the scent of evil was palatable in the air, even to those of us with normal senses... the presence, though, was enough to send Nightfall reeling for a brief moment. Before us, in the quiet air, hung a man, long hair and wild eyes. Some part deep within me, some stain I had long tried to purge, knew this man to not be a man... he was a god, one of evil and deceit. I shoved to Gecko all but a tiny portion of my power, whispering into the radio that they should leave, now, through a portal I knew Zoderhan could make. In that instant, the man spoke, his voice like a roll of thunder across the plains.

"Harakhamis! You owe me a debt, the debt of a life! You will slay him, Harakhamis, to pay your debt to me!" I didn't even need to look to know that he pointed to Arthur. Time slowed to a crawl, and I knew that all debts must be paid. Quick as thought, I flew along the wall to stand in the empty air across from him.

"You know I can't do that, Mephisto." Please, gods, let them have the time. Let them have the time. A crackle in my senses told me the Rift was opened... they could go home. Maelstrom spoke to me in the radio, asking me if I was sure. I had no choice... I had to pay my debts. I sent them through the portal with my blessing, until only Zoderhan remained.

"Then you know the cost." Mephisto's words contained more hate than I had ever known, and his negligent gesture summoned nearly a score of deevils to stand before him. In the corner of my eye, Zoderhan blinked out of sight. For an instant, I thought he was gone through the portal, and wished him well. I felt his parting gift materialize around and inside me... armor of pure energy, and a bubbling, magical strength. I knew the cost.

With both hands, I raised my sword. A thought sent the energy of life running down its blade, and it glowed green in the light of an early morning. As I raised the blade higher, over my head, the sun crested the cliffs, bathing me in its light. The exultant energy was too much for me, and a word rang out of my throat. "HORUS!" I charged into melee, a mortal against a god, and knew that I would never die.

And then I knew no more.

Mastikator
2012-02-20, 03:59 AM
Don't remember their names, sadly enough, so I'll give them new names...

RIP Paul Mayer, competent psychoanalyst, devoured whole by a giant slime monster.

RIP Griff Gore, criminal mastermind, devoured whole by the very same giant slime monster in the same campaign.

Medic!
2012-02-20, 04:12 AM
RIP Grogg the mentally retarded LG Fighter - Ventured into a crypt alone and drained by the Master Vampire after the epic slaying of its underling (which involved a prayer to heironius at 2 con mid-grapple followed by a natural 20 on an attack roll with a stake) then later beheaded in his sleep by his former party members. His head still resides in the ranger's backpack.

RIP Peter the Druid (not mine), who contracted Mummy Rot in a party incapable of healing it. Found the next morning on the other side of the locked door the party wouldn't let him through. Dust in the Wind.

RIP Puuk the venerable jermlaine druid/monk gestalt, power-word-killed at level 4.

RIP(?) Delmar the Paladin/Vassal of Bahamut (not mine), slain(?) in an Ysgard-esque plane fighting a Balor and Pit Fiend while back-to-back with his VoP monk ally (mine =D) after vanquishing the Balor. Died grappling the Pit Fiend 50 ft in the air. Avenged in the next round by the monk's ki blast, which defeated the Pit Fiend with a respectable 3d6+7 damage.

and finally

RIP Rex the Barbarian (not mine), turned into a vampire along with most of his party. Later had his coffin drug out into the middle of a field before dawn while he slept in it with a new window remodeled into the lid....courtesy of the aforementioned fellow vampire party members.

Xiander
2012-02-20, 04:56 AM
RIP Anthony, Malkavian oracle, object of the sadistic games of fate.
He was misunderstood by his teammates who found him creepy when he tried to be helpful. He was doomed by fate to always loose what mattered most to him. And he was loyal to a fault trying to keep others safe from the evils that haunted him.
He finally died laughing into the face of the vampirehunter who killed him, even while holy flames consumed him. Laughing at the hunter for not seeing the futility of fighting, when fate will always just destroy what you create. Laughing at the fact that provoking the hunter made the hunter break the prison which held his friends. But mostly laughing because he was finally going to be free of it all.

I wish he could rest in peace, but fate is totally going to break the rules and have him becom a ghost haunting the ghoul-girl he had a crush on and who found him freaky beyond belief.

Karen Lynn
2012-02-20, 05:21 AM
Rest in Charred Pieces, Kit. Fox shapeshifter PhysAd. If only you knew jumping in front of a Toxic Shaman's Fireball to save a party member would've torn right through all your mystic armor and negate your regeneration...

polity4life
2012-02-20, 07:53 AM
RIP Thaubaum Thaer

This goliath fighter died after reconnecting with his people after feeling ostracized for much of his life, pulled himself out of an emotional downward spiral after the loss of his party, which included the love of his life, and found a higher purpose in his life by becoming a paladin of Pelor. His life was taken after he struck Orcus down and the demon lord's corpse blew up.

Of course, according to the DM he isn't dead but the DM isn't interested in playing tabletop games anymore.

Civil War Man
2012-02-20, 08:47 AM
I was once in a campaign that took place in the Pirates of the Caribbean universe (using the Serenity system). All of the players were different types of pirate stereotypes, including a foppish swashbuckler, token female pirate, ex-navy sailor, etc. I played the angry alcoholic brute, and barely edged out the deaf gunner for most insane person in the party (I even had a flaw that said I was so insane that I did not always operate in the same reality as everyone else).

In practice, that character was a personification of war and death. During one battle late in the campaign, while the party was fighting off undead boarders, my character jumped overboard and swam (despite claiming for the entire campaign that he didn't know how to swim) to a Royal Navy ship that had been taken over by the undead. Then he climbed aboard and, with the help of the deaf gunner firing broadsides at the ship, he proceeded to slaughter everything that moved.

The reason I include him in this thread is that he did end up bleeding out before the party could make it to him after the battle. He may be disqualified, though, because they ended up using a voodoo ritual to bring him back as one of the undead, making him even more unstoppable. In the end, he ended up taking control of the other undead through a combination of a magical artifact and being completely and utterly terrifying.

In the epilogue, the consensus was that the Bermuda Triangle was my character claiming that area of water as his domain and murdering anything that entered it.

Das Platyvark
2012-02-20, 09:26 AM
A player in a somewhat absurd one-shot I ran died after trying to punch out the manifestation of an eldritch abomination the size of the universe while floating in space without a suit.

SanguisAevum
2012-02-20, 09:38 AM
RIP Ranos the White, Champion of Light, Paladin of Heronious, Emperor of New Brittania. Your faith was not enough in the end, and the Dark Lady laid claim to your soul.

Long Live Ranos the black, The dark Knight, Blackguard of Aloysius, Vampire Lord of Clan Latria. Your rise came after your fall, and the dark lady rejoices at the desolation you leave in your wake.

RIP Grimskull, Sanctioned imperial psyker, and acolyte in service of the inquisition. Executed in the emperors name, by fellow acolyte and imperial cleric "The preacher" Who's numerous warnings to stop abusing your psychic gift fell on deaf ears. Purged by fire, the unclean was cleansed!

RIP Urgat Ripeye, half orc druid. Too stupid to realise you cant befriend a hydra.

RIP Tim Tee Tol, halfling ninja. He literally fell for the old "wall of force and deadly pit" trick.

RIP "The lonely blades" adventuring party. What part of "do NOT release the night walker" didn't you understand?

Xiander
2012-02-20, 09:54 AM
A player in a somewhat absurd one-shot I ran died after trying to punch out the manifestation of an eldritch abomination the size of the universe while floating in space without a suit.

It's really rough when the players die during a session. My condolences :smallwink:

Xiander
2012-02-20, 09:56 AM

It's really rough when the players die during a session. My condolences :smallwink:

bluntpencil
2012-02-21, 09:35 AM
A Penal Legionnaire in Dark Heresy makes for a perfect suicide bomber when pumped full of combat drugs, my character found out.

He killed an Obliterator with his explosive vest, after telling his handler to pump him full of combat drugs, so he wouldn't rethink the plan at the last minute.

He received absolution and honours for his glorious sacrifice.

lt_murgen
2012-02-21, 11:49 AM
RIP Bucky Goldstien, elf mage/theif.
In a specatcularly stupid move, he hasted himself, ran into the final crypt in the tomb of horrors, grabbed the demi-lich skull, and stuffed it into his bag of holding. Miraculously, he survived.
In another spectacularly stupid move, he convinced a pair of Greater Beholders to let the party pass in exchange for the contents of their bag of holding. (Note to DMs, take notes from previous adventures…..) He survived.
Missed a simple needle trap on a simple chest only to find out the needle had a save-or-die poison, [missed his detect, missed his save, missed his resurrection roll]. Sometimes Karma can really stink.

Silus
2012-02-21, 05:07 PM
RIP Derjack, tanky Dwarf Fighter.

Major accomplishments were:
1. Smoked some weed with Death
2. Ascended to Godhood with the rest of the party
3. Used and abused said Godhood to become the pantheon's God of War, Technology and Progression, landing him a floating domain the size of Long Island bristling with modern day weapons.
4. Used said floating domain (and Gate Generators) to rip a hole through the Abyss and take over one of Pale Night's layers.
5. Somehow (DM meddling) became a Demon Lord and had to be put down by the rest of the pantheon.

And so ended the reign of Derjack, Techno-God of the Abyss.

Also, RIP Marriette, my Half-Machine Human Ranger.

"Died" (forced character retirement) after the party foolishly attacked a lvl 20 Psion/Rogue. The party was all but dead and Mary was running to a dry dock full of Spelljammer ships to man a cannon to destroy the time-gate that we had been sent to destroy. Well goody for us, you need magic to pilot a Spelljammer ship. So instead she fires off all the cannons, destroys the portal, then PK's the character responsible for starting the fight. Ended up working for the Psion/Rogue instead of dying.

Pokonic
2012-02-21, 05:37 PM
RIP General Shenaigens, 18th level Bard/Fighter

Died of a delayed contact poison on a goblet he was holding during his friends conformation of Dukedome. Turns out that the local White dragon knew his fair share of polymorph spells and his friend was dead for little less than a year. The north became far colder with your passing, probably more due to the wyrm than because of the cooling corpses of the former upper class. The fact that everyone became winter wraths afterword due to the dragon was probably a factor, tho.

Necroticplague
2012-02-21, 06:37 PM
Can't remember his name, but:

RIP my 1st troll in Shadowrun, used the right weapon against the wrong enemy.

The right weapon was a cranial bomb set to go off with death. The wrong enemy was a technomancer that hacked it and brought me down with him.

Opperhapsen
2012-02-22, 06:04 PM
R.I.P. Kakita Masako who challenged the ocean to a duel, and won.
Alas the ocean didn't like that.

Kalmageddon
2012-02-22, 06:21 PM
R.I.P. Kakita Masako who challenged the ocean to a duel, and won.
Alas the ocean didn't like that.

Sounds like an interesting story, would you share the details with us? :smallwink:

Magesmiley
2012-02-22, 07:15 PM
R.I.P. Morgan Grimspire, my true necromancer, who died due to our party's druid blowing a save while carrying a necklace of fireballs. Also R.I.P. the rest of the party who, after surviving the fireball damage, were unable to deal with the athach skeleton Morgan was controlling at the time.

FearlessGnome
2012-02-22, 07:20 PM
Call of Cthulhu. Psychotic, body switching psychiatric nurse with 19 sanity. In a desperate attempt to shield herself from the Hounds of Tindalos, she summoned the mind of the only evil god she could summon without preparation/sacrifice at hand. She summoned up Y'Golonac to try to strike a deal with him.

It... did not go well. Poor Claire.

Tiki Snakes
2012-02-22, 07:35 PM
Favourite one I saw, I'm afraid I don't remember either character's names. It was a Babylon 5 game, set on a weird, (almost Lost style) desert-island on an uncharted planet.

The group, already rife with paranoia due to several murders amongst the survivors by person or persons unknown, became seperated whilst exploring a strange base/research facility.

Character 1, a human we shall call Frog for reference, was being escorted by two armed Minbari warriors. He hears a noise coming from the other end of the tunnel and calls out "Who is it?"

Character 2 calls back with his name. For reference, we'll call him Ginger. Also human.

Frog says out loud, to his Minbari escort "Who the hell is Ginger?" having completely forgotten the character's name.
Ginger shoots him, dead.

So the two mildly confused Minbari Warriors blow Ginger away in a hail of (whatever guns fire in that setting)and walk off to rendevous with the rest of us, elsewhere in the facility.

To this day, we're still not entirely sure why but it was the last session and it was more than a little hilarious at the time.

GoblinGilmartin
2012-02-22, 10:15 PM
Sounds like an interesting story, would you share the details with us? :smallwink:

I second that.

Lord Avalon
2012-02-24, 07:00 PM
Many, many moons ago in college, we were playing Gamma World, 1st ed, I believe. A friend had a penchant for creating characters that didn't always fit in our party. In this case he decided to play a mutated eagle. (Yeah, not the most help in many indoor environments.) He rolled the photosynthetic skin mutation and became known forever after as the Green Eagle.

We were in a large building descending a staircase when we were attacked from below. The Green Eagle launched himself into the air. He got targeted by a disruptor ray, the GM rolled way more damage than he had hit points, and *PAF!*, he exploded in a cloud of green feathers. The imagery had us rolling on the floor with laughter, and became a recurring funny bit.

Another time playing Paranoia, a character got injured, so was being carried by a bot. Another character had the good fortune to be a member of the Death Leopard secret society, have a secret mission from the Computer to eliminate the first character, who was a traitor, and to have telekinesis, which he used to pull the pin from a grenade carried by the first character. So we were peacefully walking along the corridor, when *BOOM!* Next clone.

Doorhandle
2012-02-25, 04:51 AM
RIP Lokar Stormcane, Invoker Of Kord, ripped apart by pirates bursting from the sea house-of-the-dead-style while using water walking. Badass as you were, your sacrifice was totally in vain as the rest of the party died too. Sorry.

Opperhapsen
2012-02-25, 04:53 PM

Well I played in a Legend of the Five rings campaign, basically fantasy Japan.
In this campaign (I don't know if it is so in normal l5r, but that's how it was here) everything had a spirit, forests would have a spirit, towns, house spirits, spirits of lakes.
And so did the ocean.
So during a nautical trip where we encountered bad weather our Shugenja (Basically a cleric) decided to summon the spirit of the ocean to try and appease him. He basically told us to get lost, and my character would not stand for that and challenged him to a duel.
Now in Rokugan duels are sacrosanct and the result can not be challenged, if you challenged a guy to a duel because he called your mother a whore and lost, then by Rokugani law your mother was in fact a whore.
Now I had built my character exclusively for the duel to the first blood, and as a result I was able to narrowly beat the mighty spirit, who true to his word made the waters still.
Soon we were attacked by pirates and my character was pushed into the sea, who took his revenge for it's humiliation.

Sturmcrow
2012-02-25, 06:10 PM
I was running a 3.5 D&D game using a variant of some action point rules. I allowed rerolls and some other things but the one I added was the ability to remain up and fighting when you hit negative hit points, the downside was no matter how much you healed it would not prevent your death. I referred to it as the Heroic Last Stand.

One of the characters was a peasant that had followed his hero to war only to barely survive crawling out from under a pile of bodies after watching his hero run away at the first sign of real danger. His philosophy was peace first but if you couldn't solve conflict through talking etc then when you had to use violence use extreme force to end the conflict fast, he carried a mask that resembled Erythnul's symbol which he would put on when it was time to fight, he spent the first action of every fight putting on the mask, till the last.

They were fighting some nasty Ogres I believe and the party was being overwhelmed so the PC jumped into the fray immediately instead of putting on his mask. At one point in the battle he got smacked well into the negatives, so the player thought for a few seconds and then handed me his action point stating he would continue fighting. The party survived because he stayed in the fight. Once the monsters were put down the character turned to the party and said I am feeling a little tired as he sat down against a tree, let me rest a moment and then we can continue on.

Then the character passed away.

Lucid
2012-02-26, 08:43 AM
RIP Kelvash the Dark One, stuck in stasis forever to save a world not his own, while all he ever wanted was peace and fortune for himself.

Hunter Noventa
2012-02-27, 09:11 AM
Not my character, but RIP Diata the Feral Catfolk Ninja/Druid/Ranger. It was a shame your low will save resulted in you being shifted to the Positive Energy Plane with that Dracolich...but at least you got to have the best death ever, exploding from pure awesome.

Kalmageddon
2012-02-27, 03:32 PM
Well I played in a Legend of the Five rings campaign, basically fantasy Japan.
In this campaign (I don't know if it is so in normal l5r, but that's how it was here) everything had a spirit, forests would have a spirit, towns, house spirits, spirits of lakes.
And so did the ocean.
So during a nautical trip where we encountered bad weather our Shugenja (Basically a cleric) decided to summon the spirit of the ocean to try and appease him. He basically told us to get lost, and my character would not stand for that and challenged him to a duel.
Now in Rokugan duels are sacrosanct and the result can not be challenged, if you challenged a guy to a duel because he called your mother a whore and lost, then by Rokugani law your mother was in fact a whore.
Now I had built my character exclusively for the duel to the first blood, and as a result I was able to narrowly beat the mighty spirit, who true to his word made the waters still.
Soon we were attacked by pirates and my character was pushed into the sea, who took his revenge for it's humiliation.

Nice roleplaying story, thanks for sharing. :smallwink:

Ashjustash
2012-02-27, 03:54 PM
RIP: Elizabet Cariate, "Dominate 10" was not the right answer when He said "You remind me of Lilith"....since you didn't have dominate 10, and saying your "gonna dominate the crap outta you" didn't make it any better.

RIP: Michael Longway, for laughing.

RIP: Charlene Deprea, "Kiss my arse" just made things worse, but it gave Jacob a few precious seconds...

RIP: Jacob Malfory, for not running faster.

RIP: Gregori Dimitri, should have bought that English second language so he would have understood what was happening.

Ertwin
2012-02-27, 04:25 PM
RIP Da'Kar Canton, died attempting to save the child he swore to protect from a Balor.....shame he failed.

Deepbluediver
2012-02-27, 04:44 PM
RIP my good friend Ingramson the spellthief....

Wait, I meant to say "burn in hell you dirty, backstabbing bastard".
Leaving the party in the middle of a fight to go loot the treasure room was bad enough; attempting to keep all the magic items for yourself was worse. To bad you couldn't also remove all those cursed magic items by yourself, you got everything that was coming to you.

TechnoScrabble
2012-02-27, 05:13 PM
RIP Baxter Hale, a hero's legend was too great for him, so he settled for a martyr's. (He had a major inferiority complex and so joined an adventuring group so he could do something right or die trying. He did both, headbutting a lich's phylactery while tied up and being killed in the resulting RAAAAAAGE by the lich)

KIA Adonar Bain, Former Apothecary of the Sons of Surtr, Assigned to Deathwatch. Killcount on Final Mission: 27 Bloodletters, One Chaos Dread, Two Chaos Terminators, Three Havocs, Two Raptors, One Sorceror, Half a Platoon of Traitor Guardsmen (though the commissar got away), Seven Khornate Berzerkers, and removed the arms from a Demon of Khorne before succumbing to his wounds.

RIP Mike Barnes. Apparently you CAN stake a Malkavian one handed while bleeding to death.

Lemme find my ledger I have more.

Generation83
2012-02-27, 06:56 PM
Rest in peace Tharol Pactfinder. A mage/archer elf. The only character sensible enough to say "No wai!" when the dm wanted us to fight strategical battles with thousands of low lvl npc's on each side. Who needs an army when you can cast protection from arrows, fly and have brought two wands of fireball. Was killed of by the rest of the party when they found out that the visiting gm only gave a character xp for the people he actuel killed.

jbr712
2012-02-27, 06:58 PM
RIP Shigeta

In a Legend of the Five Rings campaign gone horribly wrong, Shigeta was a ronin in Toturi's army; he fought in Beiden Pass against the Crab-Shadowlands forces, through force of arms he became one of the many gunso in Toturi's army (as did the other 3 bushi in the party). During a mission to ambush a detachment of the Crab-Shadowlands army, a sizable chunk of our force was destroyed - we had around 100 men, 60 of whom were ashigaru; we walked away from the original engagement with around 30 men. We made camp before we would rejoin the army, they had given us a rendezvous point about a day and a half's march away.

Shigeta never rejoined the army, as we were getting ready to rest for the night we saw figures in the distance which turned out to be shadowlands creatures. Bloodied as we were, there was no way we were going to win the fight. Our best bet was to use a delaying force while the bulk of our men retreated towards Toturi. With his no-dachi in hand, and his remaining five samurai beside him, Shigeta cut a bloody swath into the shadowlands unit; before being cut down by an oni.

Amphetryon
2012-03-01, 04:37 PM
RIP to the entire party killed by a portable hole and a cursed la-z-boy.

RIP to the scout who died to a lucky crit after being introduced to the party, then bedding down for the night.

Soylent Dave
2012-03-02, 01:49 AM
I had a witch in Rifts commit suicide by holding off his demonic master so the party could escape.

I had a PC commit suicide while I was GMing.

I'd been setting up how bleak and hopeless their situation was for a few sessions (they were trying to build a resistance in the face of overwhelming alien conquest, basically) - and I realised I'd perhaps gone a bit too far with just how hopeless their situation was when one of my players took me aside and told me that his character was going to shoot himself (after they'd finished a recon. of one of the meat processing plants*)

Which helped make the surviving characters feel even more miserable and alone, of course.

They heard a gunshot, came running expecting an ambush or something - and found his body. It was awesome.

-
*This is almost certainly what you think it is.

TheCountAlucard
2012-03-02, 02:09 AM
Is it a bad thing that none of my characters have ever died?

Not even on a semi-permanent basis.

The closest I've gotten was with my martial artist Solar, "Shichirou, the Fist of Heaven."

He's had his lungs burned from the inside out (survived), fallen several miles (survived), been vivisected (survived), spent a day trapped in a black metal coffin with only the howls of dead titans to keep him company (survived), and even had his soul punched off (died semi-permanently, but only until I double-checked my character sheet and pointed out to the GM that I was immune to it).

VeliciaL
2012-03-02, 02:32 AM
Is it a bad thing that none of my characters have ever died?

Not even on a semi-permanent basis.

The closest I've gotten was with my martial artist Solar, "Shichirou, the Fist of Heaven."

He's had his lungs burned from the inside out (survived), fallen several miles (survived), been vivisected (survived), spent a day trapped in a black metal coffin with only the howls of dead titans to keep him company (survived), and even had his soul punched off (died semi-permanently, but only until I double-checked my character sheet and pointed out to the GM that I was immune to it).

If it's Exalted, which is what it sounds like, then I'd say you were playing it right. :P

Doorhandle
2012-03-02, 09:35 PM
Damn, Auclard. Your solar sounds like the kind of guy who would survive decapitation.

...it fits your avatar perfectly!

Admiral Squish
2012-03-02, 10:08 PM
R.I.P Seraphina Karos. Died in a blaze of glory, taking out half of a salamander invasion force.

The party on the ground was ambushed by salamanders while she and her dragon mount were engaged in midair. After killing two enemy dragons, she dove down and with a single manifestation took out the entire ambush party.

The next morning, after making it to town, they found it under seige by a slamander army, who howled for the blood of the frost-mage who slew their kin. The rest of the party was ready to rush out and fight, but I made a different move. I put on my protections and walked out, demanding to be taken to the leader.

The leader was in his tent surrounded by his guards. After very short, very ill-fated negotiations, she hit him with a maximized mind thrust and his guards with a quickened energy missile. Then she proceeded to lay into the army outside the tent with widened cold energy balls and widened cold energy bursts that wiped out huge swaths of the army at a time. the rest of the party rushed out to save her, but in three rounds, she was on her last 2HP. Instead of dying on a spear, she leaped into the thickest part of the remaining forces and set off a fully overchanneled widened energy burst, knocking her down to negatives and taking out a 160-foot-diameter circle of devastation. even the recruit who came up to her unmoving body to finish her got offed when he set off her energy retort one last time.

The DM wasn't keeping track, but doing some slightly optimistic math, I believe my kill count reached triple digits.

Malfunctioned
2012-03-03, 09:12 PM
Daniel Jayni. A teenager whose ability was summed up as being very easily ignorable. You wouldn't know he was there until he spoke, then even then it was still a struggle to see him, and even cameras and machines glanced over him. By truly pushing his power he could even walk through walls as they decided he didn't exist. He was even theorized to be a fledgeling cosmic horror, a being out of the touch with the fabric of existence.

The BBEG developed an immunity to his 'invisibility' and caught him by the neck as Daniel planned a sneak attack. The rest of the party were stuck behind a force field. As the villain finished his speech he asked if Daniel had any last words.

"Don't. Look. Down."

He pushed himself once last time, causing both of them to become insubstantial and sink into the centre of the earth, incinerating them both. Not bad for the guy whose only role in combat had been 'get behind the other guy so I can flank'.

Doomboy911
2012-03-03, 11:53 PM
Unfortunately my character Jack is sort of immortal in that he simply keeps on respawning but he has had some hilarious deaths. There was the time I got turned into shrapnel, the time I got turned to stone and than reduced to dust. The many times were I just walked through the traps for everyone's sake. The time I got burned up by a toilet paper mummy . He gets beat around a lot.

TechnoScrabble
2012-03-04, 12:39 AM
KIA Marton James and his sister Eliza. Not only did that EMP make your power armour useless, but it short circuited your emergency cranium bolts.

MysticMind
2012-03-04, 10:15 AM
R.I.P. Nudrin Battlestar :smallfrown:

A lvl 19 Favored Soul (Pure spellcaster, no armor ,mace and bull****), that burned his body and soul, to use Apocalypse from the sky and destroy the Town of the Evil Sorcerer Xizzxahutf

Wyntonian
2012-03-04, 04:59 PM
R.I.P. Taekenobu Musashi, out of place in a western-y fantasy setting, but still a badass warblade/samurai thing.

Methinks the DM sent a giant ogre with a CR twice your level after you because you messed up his setting's feel with your katana and Eastern philosophy.

You still killed it, though. Too bad it fell on you.

MitchellTF
2015-08-29, 11:17 PM
Darnit. Now I'm remembering two sites of these. One was 'Awesome" deaths, one was...not. I actually printed out everything...and lost the printouts. :(

Roderick_BR
2015-08-30, 01:27 AM
RIP generic dwarf cleric, ran over a minecart by a soon-to-be travel companion the instant he enters the mine to join the party. Shortest-lived character ever.

RIP generic elven wizard, following instructions to avoid a deathtrap room, just when the ally giving the instructions remembered he went through the other way, and didn't know exactly which traps he knew the location in that one room.

Enran
2015-08-30, 01:38 AM
R.I.P. Junthroe Arriz, Mutants & Masterminds psychic agent. Lost his sister and lover to a major villain, Dordoni the Black, and sacrificed his life in an ultimate attack to avenge her. Didn't actually kill Dordoni, but the attack's secondary debuff directly led to his defeat (mathematically, he would've been almost certain to win and escape otherwise) so it ended up being a pretty good final shot anyway. Not my healthiest or most optimistic character, but I was satisfied with his arc.

Loxagn
2015-09-04, 04:35 PM
Rest in Peace, Tasukaru. Death by melting into orange paste, and shortly thereafter ripping apart the hivemind of an invading alien race.

sovin_ndore
2015-09-04, 04:55 PM
RIP Rock, Barbarian, Death by eating liquified Gelatenous Ooze.

BootStrapTommy
2015-09-04, 08:44 PM
RIP, Kal Al'Darrock, Orc Favored Soul. He left this world same as he entered it. Screaming, covered in someone else's blood.

SarcasticDom
2015-09-05, 05:07 AM
RIP Henry Bouchard, who died fighting the God of Gods, buying his allies time to channel purely divine energy in order to defeat him.

Basically, in my first ever campaign (in 4th edition), me and the other two heroes, Samod the Half-Elf Bard and Edgy McEdge the Eladarin Ranger, went through a series of quests, dungeons and hellish realms only to discover that the supreme creator of the universe was going to destroy everything and start again. And we were the only ones who could stop him. At level 10

The fight begins and, predictably, we get our arses handed to us. Henry Bouchard was a con-artist sorcerer and wasn't very durable, and the same goes for his allies. The Supreme Deity starts mocking us and saying how pointless and pathetic mortals are. And thats when Samod tried to become a God.

It sort of made sense in a very strange way. Since we were in a realm of the almighty, ascension could be feasible if you could withstand the divine powers morphing you. Edgy McEdge (not really the characters name but it escapes me) also tried this. But the concentration required meant they couldn't fight.

So Henry Bouchard decided to channel the pure magical energies around him to become some kind of super sorcerer, taking the Supreme God on one-to-one. Of course, no matter how powerful Henry was at that moment, his opponent was so much stronger. Henry lasted a few round against the omnipotent deity before being killed. However he bought Samod enough time to ascend to Godhood (becoming Samod, God of Talking Things Out), and managed to convince the supreme deity that the world was worth saving, shown through the efforts of the three heroes. And so the world was saved and everyone lived… except for Henry Bouchard.

MrStabby
2015-09-05, 10:03 AM
R.I.P. Junthroe Arriz, Mutants & Masterminds psychic agent. Lost his sister and lover to a major villain, Dordoni the Black, and sacrificed his life in an ultimate attack to avenge her.

Because everyone likes incest in a campaign...

My best was a warlock, trapped alone in a crypt/pyramid surrounded by undead. He barricaded himself into an archive section to try and figure a way out. With a greater mummy on the far side slowly breaking down the door he used a scroll to bind his soul to his sword to become an intelligent weapon.

Jay R
2015-09-05, 10:15 AM
He wasn't my character, but this thread cannot be completed without him.

RIP Sameo, last of a TPK, who died of his own critical fumble - magnificently. (http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Sameo)

Remedy
2015-09-05, 11:17 AM
He wasn't my character, but this thread cannot be completed without him.

RIP Sameo, last of a TPK, who died of his own critical fumble - magnificently. (http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Sameo)
I wasn't aware this level of pure win still existed in the world. I'm genuinely impressed.

Kyuu Himura
2015-09-05, 01:30 PM
RIP: Roy Murdock, of House Murdock from the Griffin Castle in our Westeross campaign, drinker of fine wines, lover of fine women, Man Without Face (though, not a very good one).

We were playing Robert's Rebellion, King's Landing was under siege, the Mad King was about to put in action his plan to burn everyone and Jaime Lannister was nowhere to be seen, Roy makes his way to the Throne Chamber of the Red Keep, where I am received not only by the sickly king, but also by his whole Guard... sans Jaime. Roy does what every man worth his salt would do in such situation...

"Hello. My name is Roy Murdock. You have murdered the innocent. You have divided families. You have opressed the people. Valar Morghulis"

Barristan Selmy cut off my arm then I threw my sword through the Mad King's chest before Barristan's final blow.

Traab
2015-09-05, 02:36 PM
RIP Traab
Shaman of Orgrimmar
His death was the way every hero wants to go, buried under an endless supply of enemy corpses in an epic last stand.

Was playing a pvp game of capture the flag. Myself and a rogue got separated from the rest of our team and headed for the enemy base. Just as we reached the entrance, most of the enemy team, must have been a solid 6-7 of them, came pouring out to meet us. Battle was instantly joined. My friend and I knew we were dead, we just hoped we could take one or two enemies with us. The first enemy fell, then the second. When the third fell we realized something. We were fighting an army of amateurs! No stuns, no spell interrupts, no efforts to stop us from fighting or healing ourselves. A 4th and 5th fell, and we felt a surge of glee. We could win this!

Then tragedy struck. Right over the ridge line was the enemy graveyard, where they pop up after being killed. They had respawned and rejoined the fight. Still the battle raged. My mana was running low, but we stood where we were and continued to slaughter. Enemies 6,7,8, and 9 all fell before us. Now we were killing the same people for the second time. We started burning all of our long cooldown skills trying to stay alive. The rogue popped his evasion, making himself much harder to hit. I dropped a healing totem because the enemies were morons and unlikely to hit it. Kill number 10 happened and with that my rogue friend fell. I had no time to say goodbye as the enemy swarm closed around me. With my last breath I managed to kill an 11th enemy, and with that, I fell, with a swarm of enemy bones surrounding me, as if I had formed my own Path of Glory in that spot.