PDA

View Full Version : Spirit Warden (3.5/3.P Base Class, PEACH)

Kane0
2012-02-17, 11:24 PM
Hello again forums! This time I'm submitting a shamanic warrior similar in setup to the Paladin or Hexblade. He specializes in dealing with and the use of spirits to augment his fighting capability.

Background:
The Spirit Warden is both a guardian and Jailer of spirits. He has the power to both contain and control them, and is a powerful warrior when he has them called to his side. These silent, invisible entities are his constant companions and opponents, never giving him rest. Spirit Wardens adventure for a multitude of reasons, almost as assorted as the spirits they associate with. They may hunger for vengeance against wicked spirits, seek the wisdom of those passed or venture forth to right the wrongs their compatriots failed to. A Spirit Warden is usually recognized early. Even when young they find ways to communicate with spirits and can approach without (major) harm, as well as the commanding presence they have when they have Spirits under their control. The exception to this is when someone actively seeks out to become a Spirit Warden after a significant life event, usually concerning death and spirits (and not always in that order).

Races
Any race can be a Spirit Warden, but those with particular connections with shamanic cultures are more likely. Half Orcs and Goliaths are the most common, with a large amount of elves and halflings as well.

Alignment
Spirit Wardens can be of any alignment, but tend towards chaos more than law on account of how often it is frowned upon to communicate and associate with spirits.

Attributes
The most important ability for a Spirit Warden is Wisdom, which governs his Spellcasting and many of his class abilities, but Strength, Dexterity and Constitution are all important for fighting.

Party Role
The Spirit Warden is a front line combatant, using his Spirits to bolster his ability to stay in the fight longer. His spells are useful but he is not a support character, and he is at his most useful when granting flanks to precision damage characters and providing a roadblock between opponents and the supporting party members.

Religion
Spirit Wardens are not universal in their worship, but one common belief among them is the fate of those in the afterlife. They may worship deities and/or the spirits they call, but they know for a fact that there is life after death and they interact with it daily, and know full well they will at some time or other join them. Spirit Wardens do not go to the outer planes when they die to join a god, they join the community of the spirits they dealt with during life.

Other Classes
Spirit Wardens get along well with most classes, but are usually bewildered by clerics for their devotion to a deity. Many do not see eye to eye with druids that see spirits as unnatural, while others may have issues with arcanists who look down upon their 'use of others to do the magic for them'.

Note: A spirit in D&D is loosely defined as most incorporeal undead, most fey, and most elementals. Some other types of creatures (such as some outsiders) could also theoretically be considered spirits, with your DM's discretion.

The Spirit Warden

HD: d10
Skills per level: 4 + int
Class Skills: Acrobatics, Climb, Craft, Fly, Handle Animal, Heal, Intimidate, Know (Arcana, Nature), Linguistics, Perception, Profession, Sense Motive, Stealth, Spellcraft, Survival, Swim

Proficiencies: All Simple & Martial weapons, Light and Medium armor, all shields except tower shields.

Casting stat: Wisdom

{table=head] Table 1: The Spirit Warden | Spellcasting
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1st | +1 |+2 | +0 | +0 | Spirit Calling
2nd | +2 |+3 | +0 | +0 | Spirit Strike
3rd | +3 |+3 | +1 | +1 | Spirit Defense I
4th | +4 |+4 | +1 | +1 | Bonus Feat
5th | +5 | +4 | +1 | +2 | Spirits Within (+2)
6th | +6/+1 |+5 | +2 | +2 | Spirit Step
7th | +7/+2 | +5 | +2 | +3| Spirit Defense II
8th | +8/+3 | +6 | +2 | +3| Bonus Feat
9th | +9/+4 | +6 | +3 | +4 | Spirits Within (+4)
10th | +10/+5 | +7 | +3 | +4 | Spirit Ward
11th | +11/+6/+1 | +7 | +3 | +5 | Spirit Defense III
12th | +12/+7/+2 | +8 | +4 | +5 | Bonus Feat
13th | +13/+8/+3 | +8 | +4 | +6 | Spirits Within (+6)
14th | +14/+9/+4 | +9 | +4 | +6 | Improved Spirit Step
15th | +15/+10/+5 | +9 | +5 | +7 | Spirit Defense IV
16th | +16/+11/+6/+1 | +10 | +5 | +7 | Bonus Feat
17th | +17/+12/+7/+2 | +10 | +5 | +8 | Spirits Within (+8)
18th | +18/+13/+8/+3 | +11 | +6 | +8 | Spirit Mind
19th | +19/+14/+9/+4 | +11 | +6 | +9 | Spirit Possession
20th | +20/+15/+10/+5 | +12 | +6 | +9 | One Among Many
[/table] | {table=head]Orisons|1st|2nd|3rd|4th
1 | - | - | - | -
1 | - | - | - | -
1 | - | - | - | -
2 | 1 | - | - | -
2 | 1 | - | - | -
2 | 2 | - | - | -
3 | 2 | 1 | - | -
3 | 3 | 1 | - | -
3 | 3 | 2 | - | -
4 | 4 | 2 | 1 | -
4 | 4 | 3 | 1 | -
4 | 4 | 3 | 2 | -
4 | 4 | 4 | 2 | 1
4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 1
4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 2
4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 2
4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3
4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3
4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4
4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4
[/table]
[/table]

As you can see in the saves, I've become quite the fan of the medium progression, and I usually tend to incorporate a good, medium and poor save into most of my Homebrews now.

Abilities:
Spirit Calling:
At level 1, the Spirit Wardens first and most important ability is his ability to control and summon spirits. Controlling spirits is treated as rebuking Undead with effective level = Spirit Warden level, calculated when the Spirit Warden activates his spirit calling (only affects a spirit once). Controlled spirits are destroyed and are added to the Spirit Wardens' summoned spirits, granting him 1d4 rounds worth of Spirit Calling at no cost to his rounds/day. Spirits can be dispersed (released) by any effect that would banish a summoned creature or destroy spirits. This ability is usable a number of rounds equal to 2x Spirit Warden level + his Con modifier per day. Activating this ability is a standard action, deactivating it is a free action. At level 5 activating this ability becomes a Move Action, at level 9 a Swift Action, at level 13 a free action and at level 17 an immediate action.

Spellcasting:
A Spirit Warden learns to cast a limited number of divine spells from the spirits he is constantly in contact with. He draws spells from the druid list and uses wisdom to cast spells and determine extra spells per day.

Spirit Strike:
A Spirit Warden is skilled at dealing with spirits of all kinds, and knows how to make contact.
Beginning at level 2 all your attacks can affect incorporeal targets normally as the Ghost Strike weapon ability. When you have spirits called you can also bestow the Ghost Strike weapon effect onto one ally per 5 Spirit Warden levels you have.

Spirit Defense 1
The Spirits that encase the Spirit Warden when called whisper and teach, constantly striving to improve the Spirit Warden.
At level 3, while the Spirit Warden has spirits called, he gains a +2 to all saves, touch AC and energy resistance 5

Bonus Feat
At levels 4, 8, 12 and 16 the Spirit Warden gains a Fighter Bonus Feat

Spirits Within
A Spirit Warden is attuned with the spirit (or spirits) that reside within his body, and they grant him knowledge and leverage when dealing with external Spirits.
Beginning at level 5, a Spirit Warden gains a +2 bonus on all skill checks regarding Spirits. This improves by +2 every four levels, to a total of +4 at level 9, +6 at level 13 ad +8 at level 17.

Spirit Step
A Spirit Warden has learned that to truly interact with Spirits, it is not enough to treat them as material, you must also become immaterial as they are.
A level 6 Spirit Warden can turn ethereal for a number of rounds equal to 1/2 Spirit Warden Level + Wis Mod per day, resumed and ended as a swift action.

Spirit Defense 2
The continued whispered secrets of the spirits bolster your health and make you more resistant to attacks.
At 7th level, while the Spirit Warden has spirits called, he gains DR/- equal to 1/4 Spirit Warden Level.

Spirit Ward
A Spirit Warden knows that any Spirit could be an ally or a threat, and has learned from the spirits themselves how to shield himself from some of their influences.
At level 10, while the Spirit Warden has spirits called, the Spirit Warden is under the effects of a continuous death ward spell.

Spirit Defense 3
As the Spirits spend more time encircling the Spirit Warden, they entrust him with deeper secrets, keeping the Spirit Warden from more harm then before.
At 11th level, while the Spirit Warden has spirits called, the Spirit wardens bonus to saves, touch AC and energy resistance are doubled

Improved Spirit Step
A Spirit Warden must be ready for any attack at any time, and knows that Spirits are always ready. He learns more of their abilities and can use his knowledge to become partially immaterial at a moments notice.
A level 14 Spirit Warden can become 50% concealed as an immediate action for number of rounds equal to 1/2 Spirit Warden Level + Wis Mod per day. Ending this ability is a swift action.

Spirit Defense 4
The spirits have been alongside him for so long, their voices in his head, and now their presence bolsters him in ways he did not think possible.
At level 15, while the Spirit Warden has spirits called, he gains 50% fortification.

Spirit Mind
Approaching the peak of his power, a Spirit Warden links his mind with the Spirits he calls, and together they master his thoughts.
A level 18 Spirit Warden has spirits called is Immune to mind effecting spells and effects when he has Spirits Called.

Spirit Possession
A mighty or trusted Spirit Warden can relinquish control of his called Spirits temporarily to possess an enemy, forcing him to obey his faithful companions or let them tear him asunder.
At level 19, as a standard action, a Spirit Warden can disperse his currently called spirits to control a single target as standard action. The target is entitled to a Will save with DC equal to 10+ 1/2 Spirit Warden level + Wis Mod. Failure of this save results in the target either Dying (death effect) or being dominated under the control of the Spirit Warden (Mind Affecting Effect). The intended result is chosen when the Spirit Warden uses this ability.

One Among Many
The Spirit Warden is now never alone, his spirits as much part of him as his limbs. He is now as much spirit as they are beings.
A Spirit Warden that reached level 20 has become a master of all spirits, benign and Malignant. His body no longer suffers the decay of time, but he still departs the living world when his time is up. As part of the union between himself and his spirits he can choose to be effected as either a spirit or as his normal self by any magical or supernatural effect.
As a standard action he can transfer all beneficial effects he gains while Spirits are bound to him from class abilities only to a willing target within 60ft. This lasts for a 2d4 + Wis Modifier rounds.
Also, when threatened outside of combat (and when combat begins with him unaware) there is a 20% chance the Spirit Warden automatically spirit calls at no cost to your rounds/day as an immediate action. This reactionary Spirit Call lasts 1d4 + Con Modifier rounds.

Edit: Spellcasting ready to be PEACHed now
Edit: Skills and fluff

Grinner
2012-02-18, 12:04 AM
Seems solid mechanically, spellcasting aside. The abilities could use some fluff, though.

JustineSane
2012-02-18, 02:12 AM
I was watching TV late the other night and came across Qubo's Night Owl - late-night episodes of cartoons from the eighties. Bravestar was the first thing that came to mind when I read this class.

Just to Browse
2012-02-18, 02:24 AM
Tables within tables and Medium Fort Save

I'm going to light a baby on fire. Get rid of those right now. Oh, my eyes... my brain...

Also, this seems to be a load of passive abilities hanging onto a tank chassis. Viable in combat, perhaps even a bit strong, but not really interesting. Your average turn will be you full attacking with your buff spells on, and then checking your immunities when your opponents attack. I mean, that's cool, but is it what you're going for?

Also, "Spirit Warden" evokes more druid-y feelings than cleric-y feelings. I recommend using their spell list; the limited access won't change class balance much at all.

Kane0
2012-02-18, 03:05 AM
I'm going to light a baby on fire. Get rid of those right now. Oh, my eyes... my brain...

Im afraid i spent too much time fiddling with the tableception to get rid of it now, but should I switch around the fort and will saves?

Also, this seems to be a load of passive abilities hanging onto a tank chassis. Viable in combat, perhaps even a bit strong, but not really interesting. Your average turn will be you full attacking with your buff spells on, and then checking your immunities when your opponents attack. I mean, that's cool, but is it what you're going for?

To be honest simplicity is exactly what im going for. Most of my other homebrews are more option-filled, so a solid but simple base class that dosent suck is nice to have. I think the simplicity is good to have for those that want it. Thats what this and my Legionnaire is aimed at.

Also, "Spirit Warden" evokes more druid-y feelings than cleric-y feelings. I recommend using their spell list; the limited access won't change class balance much at all.

Good point, consider it done

Arbitrarious
2012-02-18, 06:06 PM
First, really interesting idea. However, I'm a little confused about the spirit calling ability. Does there actually have to be a "spirit" present or do you summon them with the check and that determines how many you add to your collection? It says it only affects a spirit once, so that seems to imply they are separate entities. Does it matter how many there are so long as you have any?

I know the druid was suggested, but it seems like the spirits you are talking about in the fluff are more like spirits of the departed then nature spirits. That really is more the cleric thing. Especially since it says druids hate them and think their "spirits" are unnatural. Perhaps you might consider a custom spell list that emphasizes all sorts of spirits and leaves out the harder to explain spells. Things like speak with dead and protection from evil seem right up this guys alley while entangle could work if we are dealing with nature spirits, but otherwise seems odd.

Kane0
2012-02-18, 06:42 PM
First, really interesting idea. However, I'm a little confused about the spirit calling ability. Does there actually have to be a "spirit" present or do you summon them with the check and that determines how many you add to your collection? It says it only affects a spirit once, so that seems to imply they are separate entities. Does it matter how many there are so long as you have any?

Thanks, I thought it would be a cool theme.
I think of the Call Spirits ability as a toggled ability, you either have them called or you dont. The controlling Spirits section is an extra use of the ability which you use to assimilate the opposing spirits into your 'collection', pulling them out of the fight. It only affects a single spirit once because if you could retry you could release your spirits and then call them again in the next round, getting another attempt each turn. Which isn't game breaking, but you would think that once the spirit saves he becomes immune to that Spirit Wardens' call.
There doesn't necessarily need to be spirits present to summon yours, just to control them.
The spirits themselves would differ on the game, since D&D has very few rules regarding them. I myself lean towards sentient incorporeal undead and intangible entities of the planes.

I know the druid was suggested, but it seems like the spirits you are talking about in the fluff are more like spirits of the departed then nature spirits. That really is more the cleric thing. Especially since it says druids hate them and think their "spirits" are unnatural. Perhaps you might consider a custom spell list that emphasizes all sorts of spirits and leaves out the harder to explain spells. Things like speak with dead and protection from evil seem right up this guys alley while entangle could work if we are dealing with nature spirits, but otherwise seems odd.

I was tossing up between the two, but couldn't really decide. I guess it would be more correct to say you can pick spells from either with DM approval, but i dont like heaping that kind of load on the poor DMs. I guess ill end up making a Spirit Warden spell list unless the spirit shaman has his own.

Also druids don't innately hate spirit Wardens, its up the the particular Druid (and Warden). The DM can change that if he wants of course.

Just to Browse
2012-02-19, 06:18 PM
All right, if that's your ideal, it doesn't really pose a problem.

The medium save is really what's bothering me, though. This isn't Arcana Evolved or anything like that, so you should convert the save to either Bad or Good. I'd recommend a Good save.

Of course if you don't want to change that either, I'll just keep my aneurisms to myself.

Kane0
2012-02-19, 06:47 PM
Its just bothered me how there are three saves but only two progressions. I mean theres three kinds of BAB so why be limited to min/max saves? I saw the medium save progression and facepalmed because of how obvious and elegant it seemed yet i hadn't thought of it. I have a dislike of giving two good saves unless the reason is really good, so the medium save seems a natural choice for me.

Please, id like to hear the opinion of the other side of the coin. Why is it that you don't like the medium save?