PDA

View Full Version : (AD&D 1e/OSRIC) Good starter modules?

Telasi
2012-02-18, 04:57 AM
So I told my 3.P group I needed a break from running that, just to keep me from hitting total burnout, and asked them what other games they'd like to play for a few sessions. They settled on the old-school experience, asking me to run 1e instead (I'm really using OSRIC as my reference for sanity, but the rules are the same as far as I can tell). I'm familiar with the basics, having run and played 2e a few times, so the rules aren't a huge problem. What I really need is a good module that takes the mental strain off of me. So, what modules can I run to give my level 1, RAW-generated (their choice, not mine) party a good time? They're all Evil multiclass Clerics due to some freakishly good Wis rolls by everybody (and deciding a party of Clerics from the same church was amusing), with Assassin, Thief, Magic-user, and Fighter for their respective other halves. This unfortunately means I can't count on them to be the altruistic types, so anything that counts on the PCs vanquishing the baddies for great justice is going to be tricky at best. Suggestions on how to hook them in would be great, but not strictly required.

TL;DR: I need good 1e modules for a level 1 party of four, with all the classic roles covered. Must be viable for evil parties.

Premier
2012-02-18, 05:32 AM
Keep on the Borderlands. Technically, it's Basic not Adanced D&D, but the two are so close that you can run it without problems. Assuming their evil alignment comes with some real life wisdom and intelligence, they could have a ball manipulating the residents of the Caves of Chaos against each other (and/or maybe even the Keep).

viking vince
2012-02-18, 07:50 AM
I think U1 is pretty good (the first half, anyway).

LibraryOgre
2012-02-18, 10:20 AM
T1 (Village of Hommlet) and B2 (Keep on the Borderlands) are my favorite. B2 is a bit nastier, IMO (there's a couple monsters in there that can REALLY mess a party up, on their own, especially given the situation they're in), but both are fun.

Balain
2012-02-21, 09:24 PM
I like U1, T1 and B2. I also liked N1 Against the cult of the reptile god.. Actually I liked all the B series, B1 search for the unknown, B3 palace of the silver princess and B4 the lost city.

Drumbum42
2012-02-22, 08:16 PM
I have to say that my favorite to both play and DM at level 1 is The Lost Island of Castanamir (C3). I'd like to run it more, but I can't reuse it for the same group. (Spoils the outcome)

This will also give the characters an edge in future dungeons giving them much needed +1/2 weapons to kill various magical creatures. (It's no fun if you can't hit the monster that is eating your magic user!)

Hoddypeak
2012-02-24, 09:16 AM
I'll second T1. I would avoid B2 with a party of only 4 1st levels, and T1 would be a big challenge. But either is doable if you encourage them to hire a little help.

Many of the early TSR modules have great potential for play with an evil party as they're mostly location based adventures. Gary, in particular, was good about statting out and setting up the defences of both sides in his modules. Options abound for them to join the bad guys and work their way up the ranks with deception in both the above modules.

I'm not sure B3 (Palace of the Silver Princess) has much potential for an evil party, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

PS. Come to think of it, a party of 4 evil clerics could work into T1-4 extraordinarily well if you wanted to rework the opening and the goals a bit. They could be 4 initiates in the ToEE, one dedicated to each element, sent to Lareth to prove themselves.

Matthew
2012-02-24, 12:03 PM
I have heard good things about the Melford series hosted at Dragonsfoot, also Chainsaw over on Knights & Knaves is having a blast with White Dragon Run. The OSRIC fast play module Orcs' Nest (full disclosure, I wrote it) is designed specifically to provide an "old school" introductory experience; being free and printer friendly it is easily obtainable.

Glaurung
2012-03-04, 10:48 PM
With 4 evil clerics I have to second T1 with the possibility of playing on to the full Temple (T1-4). That said, if your players have played the Atari 3.5 computer version of the game, it would spoil the adventure. But the possibilities for an evil party are endless. They could join Lareth and become his agents in the Temple. They could kill Lareth and take over his operation, gaining favor with some in the temple...but only some. They could start assassinating notable members of the Homlet elite, ending with a hell of a battle the towns protectors. All this in addition to allying with a faction of the temple if they proceed. Great adventure for evil PCs.

B2 has the some of the same potential--the keep and its guardians are statted out well, but it lacks the intrigue and detail.

I would avoid B1, unless you want to populate it in advance and do not do so randomly. Its just weird if you use random generated critters and treasure.

gourdcaptain
2012-03-06, 02:22 AM
Member of Telasi's group here. We did the Keep on the Borderlands, went well until a half-TPK and half the players didn't like 1e/OSRIC. Telasi did do a cool bit where the evil cleric in the keep was the party's boss, as we'd all decided to be Bhaal worshippers. Mostly lost half the party to unlucky rolls against goblins a few fights in (people who had 2 or 3 HP to begin with.)

Did go over well enough with the rest of the group to start a weekly campaign with some houseruling for PC durability, more flexible stats, and 2e NWPs.

...And we ended up making four Fighter or subclass/X multiclasses again. What is wrong with us? (Although Fighter/Assassin, Fighter/Thief, Ranger/Cleric, and Fighter/Illusionist roughly works out in how the builds turned out to all four core party roles being covered.)

Telasi
2012-03-06, 02:39 AM
Yeah, I think it went about as well as could be expected, given the conditions I was asked for. Thanks for the input, folks.

Hybban
2012-03-06, 10:00 AM
As actual AD&D modules, I would recommend L1/L2/L3 which are very good. Some dungeon crawling, good NPC, murders to solve, and so on. UK modules are really good too. Only UK5 is available for a Level 1 party though.

Using D&D modules (close enough, especially at level 1), I have to say that B4 is awesome. B10 is really good, but starts at Level 2, so maybe a B6 before could be fun.

I also like DDA3 a lot, since it allows the DM to start a Karameikos campaign.

As a side note, any level 1 (A)D&D module is harsh for only 4 members. Remember to bring in some henchmen. That was it was done at the begining.

gourdcaptain
2012-03-06, 10:20 AM
As a side note, any level 1 (A)D&D module is harsh for only 4 members. Remember to bring in some henchmen. That was it was done at the begining.

We did hire henchmen, a rather bow-obsessed pair of Fighters. You're still screwed when they hit the guy with 3 HP anyway.

Just to be curious, do people attempt to max out the number of henchmen allowed by their Charisma in these cases? That seems like way too many characters to keep track of with a few party members doing that.

hamlet
2012-03-06, 11:28 AM
Not sure why I didn't think of it before, but the X series of modules would be good.

Especially X1: Isle of Dread. Just change around the reason why they go to the island and suddenly you have a squad of folk out to extort and exploit the natives and their resources.

Matthew
2012-03-07, 03:30 AM
We did hire henchmen, a rather bow-obsessed pair of Fighters. You're still screwed when they hit the guy with 3 HP anyway.

Just to be curious, do people attempt to max out the number of henchmen allowed by their Charisma in these cases? That seems like way too many characters to keep track of with a few party members doing that.

Not usually, it is more convenient to have only a few at the mid levels, but higher level characters may have numerous henchmen to act as surrogates or to manage their interests while they are engaged in other business. Hirelings are used similarly, but much cheaper and relatively more effective at low levels. Still, a fighter lord may have hundreds in his employ once he has a stronghold and domain to protect, at which point henchmen become a valuable commodity in a different way.

dsmiles
2012-03-07, 01:51 PM
I seem to remember a module coming out for 0-level characters, but for the life of me, I can't remember the alphanumeric identifier or the name. :smallannoyed:

Lord Torath
2012-03-07, 02:28 PM
I seem to remember a module coming out for 0-level characters, but for the life of me, I can't remember the alphanumeric identifier or the name. :smallannoyed:
N4 - Treasure Hunt. The party starts out shipwrecked on small island, and in the course of the escape, the characters gain classes and level 1.

dsmiles
2012-03-07, 06:49 PM
N4 - Treasure Hunt. The party starts out shipwrecked on small island, and in the course of the escape, the characters gain classes and level 1.
Totally lost that one. :smallannoyed: (Also, totally lost the hard copy in a move. :smallfurious:)

Zombimode
2012-03-07, 07:19 PM
I have to say that my favorite to both play and DM at level 1 is The Lost Island of Castanamir (C3). I'd like to run it more, but I can't reuse it for the same group. (Spoils the outcome)

While I agree C3 makes for an interesting dungeon, but arent the combat ecounter way to hard for a 1st level party? Maybe my memory fails me, but I recall a large group of Orcs (like 11 or so) with 2 Ogres, as well as some flying and hard to detect enemies. I think had a party of 4 level 5 characters going through the dungeon (admittedly they had a bit of an easy time, in the fights at least).

Glaurung
2012-03-07, 11:53 PM
X1 was also a little rough for first level characters, although a great adventure. If i remember right, it was for levels 3-5 or 3-7...again, I'm not sure.

-r

Matthew
2012-03-16, 10:17 PM

There is also a Forgotten Realms one, N5 Under Illefarn I think. It is not very good, though, a bit of a rail road for one thing.

LibraryOgre
2012-03-18, 12:58 PM
There is also a Forgotten Realms one, N5 Under Illefarn I think. It is not very good, though, a bit of a rail road for one thing.

Under Illefarn was not a Zero Level module.

ken-do-nim
2012-03-18, 07:21 PM

You're thinking of N4 Treasure Hunt. N5 Under Illefarn I do think is really good.

Hybban
2012-03-19, 01:45 AM
You're thinking of N4 Treasure Hunt. N5 Under Illefarn I do think is really good.Actually, N4 is a level 0-1 module and N5 a level 0-3 Module.

Under Illefarn is an AD&D® campaign book for a Dungeon Master and four to eight 1st level characters. It is also possible to start as a 0 level character. More about that later.
You start as a character in the trading city of Daggerford. By the law of Daggerford, you serve in the militia. As a member of the militia, you have the opportunity to participate in several adventures which should enable you to advance in level. When the campaign is over, your character should be at 3rd or 4th level. A split class character may still be at 2nd level for some or all of his or her classes.
If you have a character who reached 1st level in N4, Treasure Hunt, your adventure took place in the sea to the west of Daggerford. After that adventure, your character decided to see the world and ended up in Waterdeep, the main trade city to the north. You soon found the big city was a bit much for a simple islander, so you gravitated to the smaller town of Daggerford, finding out only after you settled into a squalid room at the Lady Luck Tavern (or a sumptuous suite at the River Shining Tavern if you’ve kept most of your loot from the treasure hunt) that residence in Daggerford means enlistment in . . .

ken-do-nim
2012-03-19, 06:19 AM
Actually, N4 is a level 0-1 module and N5 a level 0-3 Module.

I don't recall the text or difficulty level of N5 supporting 0 level play regardless of what the intro might. Hmm...

Hybban
2012-03-19, 06:45 AM
I don't recall the text or difficulty level of N5 supporting 0 level play regardless of what the intro might. Hmm...
Good thing I've scanned my modules. I like to have them as pdf so I can salvage them for ideas for other scenarios :)

Characters of 0 Level
An interesting way of starting a new adventure is to begin with a 0 level character. This style of play was pioneered in N4, Treasure Hunt by Aaron Allston.
At 0 level, your character starts as a normal person with only one weapons proficiency, no magic, no special skills, and 1d6 hit points. It’s a good idea to allow a 0 level character a full 6 hit points without rolling dice.
The character also starts with -500 experience points. That’s right, 500 points less than zero. As the character gains experience, the Dungeon Master makes note of the character's inclinations. Does the character continually pick up new weapons and experiment with them? Does he express a desire to learn magic? Does he try to sneak around and attempt to pick open locks? When the character finally reaches zero experience points, the player and the Dungeon Master get together and decide the character’s class, his alignment, and so forth, based on the character’s actions and inclinations in his adventuring career so far.
For more details about 0 level characters, see Treasure Hunt (N4).

Matthew
2012-03-22, 01:41 AM
Under Illefarn was not a Zero Level module.

You're thinking of N4 Treasure Hunt. N5 Under Illefarn I do think is really good.

Nope, you are both wrong and my recollection is gloriously right. It says right on the cover for levels 0-3. :smallbiggrin:

http://www.tsrinfo.net/archive/fr/n5.jpg

hamlet
2012-03-22, 07:23 AM
Still not a tremendously good module, though.

Thialfi
2012-03-22, 07:55 AM
I remember kinda liking U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh. Of course my memory could be fuzzy since it's been 25 years since I was in any of the modules mentioned.

Matthew
2012-03-22, 08:48 AM
Still not a tremendously good module, though.

Terrible even. :smallbiggrin:

hamlet
2012-03-22, 10:00 AM
Terrible even. :smallbiggrin:

Although, I thought once about running it, and had even figured out how to "fix" the beginning rather than have the players running guard shifts. Instead, they would, as a group, get called into the local lord's office, be told off something to the effect of "look, you guys are terrible guards, but maybe you can make some use of yourselves . . . this messenger just rode in half dead saying that the local holdfast was attacked, I can't spare anybody else to investigate it right now, will you kindly bug off and do it so I don't have to actually terminate you?"

But there was just no way to fix the geography flubs.

ken-do-nim
2012-03-24, 05:29 AM
Although, I thought once about running it, and had even figured out how to "fix" the beginning rather than have the players running guard shifts. Instead, they would, as a group, get called into the local lord's office, be told off something to the effect of "look, you guys are terrible guards, but maybe you can make some use of yourselves . . . this messenger just rode in half dead saying that the local holdfast was attacked, I can't spare anybody else to investigate it right now, will you kindly bug off and do it so I don't have to actually terminate you?"

But there was just no way to fix the geography flubs.

I haven't read the module in detail, but it looked cool in my quick skim. Can you go into more detail about its shortcomings?

Matthew
2012-03-25, 01:30 AM
I haven't read the module in detail, but it looked cool in my quick skim. Can you go into more detail about its shortcomings?

My main issue with it is the degree to which it is a "rail-road", but there is also a lot of hand-holding and some rather questionable advice within those pages.

hamlet
2012-03-26, 08:01 AM
My main issue with it is the degree to which it is a "rail-road", but there is also a lot of hand-holding and some rather questionable advice within those pages.

Essentially this and the fact that, quite litaraly, the PC's start out having to stand watches on the walls of a fortress where nothing happens (i.e., go to a 9 to 5 day job).

Otherwise, the premise is actually fairly sound, just badly executed.

MeeposFire
2012-03-27, 07:51 AM
Railroading can be forgiven in an adventure designed for brand new players who might need the "push" to get into an adventure and getting to the end. However being boring is not as that can kill groups before they get very far. Granted railroading becomes tiresome as you get more experience playing which is when you should start becoming more sophisticated with the story telling (or at least better able to hide the railroad).

hamlet
2012-03-27, 09:12 AM
Actually, that's the thing. I don't think that low level characters should need to be railroaded into going on adventure. Hell, the DM should have to invent ways to keep them home from time to time if anything. Adventurers should hear about something interesting and just naturally gravitate towards it.

Smokey
2012-03-27, 03:07 PM
I remember kinda liking U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh. Of course my memory could be fuzzy since it's been 25 years since I was in any of the modules mentioned.

Oh, yes!! Great fun!! This was definitely one of my favorite beginning modules. Written in the UK and certainly a differnt feel than your standard dungeon crawl.

VariaVespasa
2012-04-01, 12:08 PM
Keep on the borderlands is a traditional favorite as people have mentioned, but I've also always liked Nights Dark Terror too. Its a basic D+D module but at that level theyre almost identical to 1.0, and its dead easy to change anything you need to change.

Surfing HalfOrc
2012-04-03, 04:18 PM
One that I really like, but was written for the 3.5 rules was Goodman Games Into the Wilds. It had a Keep on the Borderlands vibe, but was its own adventure. Bat riding goblins, lead by a vampire goblin, an ancient dwarven citadel, and human cannibals with a Blair Witch Project feel.

I played this one with my 10-year-old son and some of his friends. I changed the third section (cannibal humans) into a second tribe of goblins just because that section was a bit creepy.

A bit of reworking the stats on the fly, but nothing too difficult. I think all of the monsters were in the LL/AEC Rulebooks, or in my old 1st Ed books.

Hybban
2012-04-04, 02:32 AM
Excellent idea. I ran this one for 4E. A really good Harley Stroh module :)