PDA

View Full Version : Cleric needs lvl1 Paladin spell. How to get it?

Torvon
2012-02-18, 05:46 AM
Hey there.

My Cleric/Crusader/RKV wants Rhino's Rush, without losing class levels, feats, or skill points.

(1) I do not want to multiclass into (Prestige) Paladin or anything else. The build is fixed.
(2) I do not have enough skillpoints for UMD.
(3) I do not want to get it through the Wrath Domain because I could then only use it once per day (however, technically I could cast it from wands without UMD check, because it'd be on my spell-list, right?)

Any other options, preferable that don't cost me a feat?
/discuss

Thanks
ta-ta
T.

hymer
2012-02-18, 06:05 AM
Multiclassing to Ranger or Paladin should allow you to use the wand without trouble, as well as having the Wrath domain.

But won't you have to leave your wand lying on the ground every time you use it, unless you're willing to charge with a onehanded weapon and no shield?

Gotterdammerung
2012-02-18, 06:10 AM
Multiclassing to Ranger or Paladin should allow you to use the wand without trouble, as well as having the Wrath domain.

But won't you have to leave your wand lying on the ground every time you use it, unless you're willing to charge with a onehanded weapon and no shield?

i think complete adventurer has some kind of shaft you can put in your weapon to hold a wand. I know it exists somewhere but i might be wrong about which book. So wrath domain + wandshaft in your weapon and you should be good to go.

Ah found it. It was in dungeonscape page 34.

hymer
2012-02-18, 06:33 AM
Cute option! Not so cute, though, that it must be included when the item is constructed (p. 33). Not many magic weapons you'll find with this in them, I expect.

Torvon
2012-02-18, 06:40 AM
Hmmm what about ring of spell storing? You can put 3 lvl1 spells into the cheapest one (I happen to have one), and everybody can use it.

So I just need to find a Paladin to speak 3 Rhino's Rushes into them regularly? ;)

Gotterdammerung
2012-02-18, 06:45 AM
Cute option! Not so cute, though, that it must be included when the item is constructed (p. 33). Not many magic weapons you'll find with this in them, I expect.

It isnt a big deal. When you make your upgrade from a normal weapon to a masterwork weapon just make sure to tack on the +100 GP cost for the "wand chamber" modification. Then later when you get the cash you can apply your magical enhancements to it and buy the wand to put into it.

hymer
2012-02-18, 06:49 AM
@ Torvon: Ring of Spell Storing sports a minimum of 1 standard action for activating spells from it, so I'm afraid it won't work. It's a still a nifty item, though, just not for that.

@ Gotterdammerung: Good point!

nedz
2012-02-18, 07:56 AM
Looking the spell up in the SpC I note that it is also in the Wrath domain. So you just need access to another domain. There are a number of PrCs which will do this.

Ed: just re-read the OP :smallredface:
You can get around the 1/day limitation with the Domain Spontaneity feat from CDiv.

Urpriest
2012-02-18, 09:56 AM
Channel Celestial, Book of Exalted Deeds. For 10min/level you can access the spell list of some 12HD or lower good outsider. Find one with enough Rhino's Rush to suit your desires.

The Dark Fiddler
2012-02-18, 10:11 AM
Ask your DM if you can have it as a cleric spell, possibly as a level or two higher than the paladin spell it is (since cleric spells are spread out more).

Waddacku
2012-02-18, 10:15 AM
Spontaneous Domain Casting alternative class feature from PHB2, p.37. Replaces converting spells to cure/inflict with converting them to the spells from one of your domains.

watchwood
2012-02-18, 11:57 AM
There's rules in game for researching new spells. Look into making an equivalent of that spell for you.

Torvon
2012-02-19, 11:11 AM
thanks. We are currently lvl6 so things like BOED level 7 spells aren't quite an option although I'm glad to learn about them.

1 No researching of spells..
2 Spontaneous domain casting is a good idea.
3 domain spontaneity will also work

ill think about it.
ta-ta