PDA

View Full Version : The Cross-Class Skill

Bard for Kicks
2012-02-18, 11:55 AM
Is there a way to get Perform X as a skill (not a cross class skill) without multiclassing? I would hate to lose caster levels or spend my feats on something useless.

Grinner
2012-02-18, 12:01 PM
Well, DM ruling obviously. Otherwise, you'll have to take a prestige class or something. It's really the only way to get new class skills by RAW.

deuxhero
2012-02-18, 12:20 PM
Excluding the half dozen or so ways including ACFs, Apprentice (DMG2) and some background feats from Cityscape.

Venger
2012-02-18, 12:32 PM
Is there a way to get Perform X as a skill (not a cross class skill) without multiclassing? I would hate to lose caster levels or spend my feats on something useless.

that depends on what class you are to start with. there's a couple ACFs that give perform iirc, in addition to apprentice feats.

why don't you want to multiclass? is it just because of caster levels?

Flickerdart
2012-02-18, 12:34 PM
If you are using the BoeF, there's a Perform skill that everyone gets. It's the cornerstone of the Pervirtuoso build.

hex0
2012-02-18, 12:45 PM
Excluding the half dozen or so ways including ACFs, Apprentice (DMG2) and some background feats from Cityscape.

Apprentice (musician) works fine. Though if you can afford to lose a caster level, i.e. you are a wizard and don't mind essentially going to the sorcerer spell progression, this works nice:

Human Paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#humanParagon) 1
Wizard 1
Human Paragon 2

You get any skill as a permanent class skill, higher hit die, more skills (and of your choice as well for qualifying for tricky stuff), light armor, simple prof. and one martial prof., a bonus feat, +2 to a stat of your choice, and 2/3 casting.

I'm assuming you are going into Sublime Chord? :smallamused:

Bard for Kicks
2012-02-19, 12:26 AM
Oh. maybe i should have clarified.
I'm playing a part sorcerer so I need to keep my caster levels. I already lost 3 from taking levels in cleric.
Also, I'm not human. Not whatsoever.

Talakeal
2012-02-19, 12:37 AM
As far as I know there is no way to pick up a new class skill other than multi classing, and even multi classing means you will be spending double skill points to increase the skill in the future.

I think the lack of ability to pick up new class skills is one of the biggest failures in the third ed system. Would is really be so over powered to let you choose a new class skill as a feat? Apparently WoTC thinks so, because I find it hard to believe that in 8 years and dozens of source books they never thought of it.

I would just ask your DM if you can either take a feat to get a new class skill, or use the character customization guidelines on page 110 of the PHB to swap out a few class skills. Or just convince your DM to drop the whole "cross class" penalty entirely, I find those rules serve no purpose but to restrict fun and creativity.

Marnath
2012-02-19, 01:28 AM
I think the lack of ability to pick up new class skills is one of the biggest failures in the third ed system. Would is really be so over powered to let you choose a new class skill as a feat? Apparently WoTC thinks so, because I find it hard to believe that in 8 years and dozens of source books they never thought of it.

*ahem*

I'll just leave this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/alternativeSkillSystems.htm#skillKnowledge) here.

Talakeal
2012-02-19, 01:33 AM
*ahem*

I'll just leave this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/alternativeSkillSystems.htm#skillKnowledge) here.

That is an optional feat for a variant rule system, isn't it?

Marnath
2012-02-19, 01:40 AM
That is an optional feat for a variant rule system, isn't it?

That's what it was originally published with yes, but there's nothing about the way it's worded that disqualifies it from normal use.

Talakeal
2012-02-19, 01:50 AM
Hmm. That is pretty awesome if it works, that feat has so far escaped my notice so far as the feat lists I have access to exclude "optional material". Thanks for the find, I will try convincing my DM next time I play a game.

hex0
2012-02-19, 06:26 PM
Oh. maybe i should have clarified.
I'm playing a part sorcerer so I need to keep my caster levels. I already lost 3 from taking levels in cleric.
Also, I'm not human. Not whatsoever.

Mystic Theurge?

JadePhoenix
2012-02-19, 06:51 PM
Draconic Heritage (song) gets you Perform as a class skill.
Since you're a Sorcerer, it seems like the way to go.

There are also Initiate feats that get Perform as a class skill for cleric.

Telonius
2012-02-19, 06:57 PM
Exalted Arcanist from BoED has perform on its list of class skills. If you're a goody two-shoes and willing to spend two feats on prereqs, you can get it.

Heatwizard
2012-02-19, 08:49 PM

There's plenty of ways to get new class skills. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6832)

chaotician375
2012-02-20, 12:38 AM
I have recently fell in love with the cosmipolitan feat out of the forgotten realms campeign setting, although ur dm would have to approve especialy if ur not in the forgotten realms setting as it has a region requirement. but if hes cool with it u pick 2 skills and get a +2 bonus to them and there class skills. If i have decent skill progression(6+intmod or better) and am human i almost always take this first lvl.

Greenish
2012-02-20, 03:47 AM
I have recently fell in love with the cosmipolitan feat out of the forgotten realms campeign setting, although ur dm would have to approve especialy if ur not in the forgotten realms setting as it has a region requirement. but if hes cool with it u pick 2 skills and get a +2 bonus to them and there class skills. If i have decent skill progression(6+intmod or better) and am human i almost always take this first lvl.Cosmopolitan from PGtF, though, is pretty much useless.

Togath
2012-02-20, 04:21 AM
if your dm is ok with allowing 3rd party, there's the versatile feat in the rokugan campaign setting, which grants 2 skills usable untrained as class skills.

Heliomance
2012-02-20, 07:23 AM
If you're Human, Doppelganger or Changeling, the Able learner feat from RoD drops the skill point cost for cross class skils, though it does nothing for the cap.

Bard for Kicks
2012-02-20, 10:18 AM
Well. I think I'm going to take the variant feat. Technically, he allows it.
I was taking mystic theurge, but it actually sucks! Terrible hitdie, bab, saves, and NO class features. Ugh. I begged my DM to let me take Fochlucan Lyrist and he agreed the evasion requirement was stupid (i mean...without optimizing heavily, you have to multiclass three times!) and I just need to meet the perform requirement. Thanks for the awesome help. I think that UA feat will be my next choice.

Tyndmyr
2012-02-20, 11:45 AM

Flexible Mind, Dragon 326.

Gives you two skills as permanent class skills. Also, gives a +1 untyped bonus to both skills.

It's one of my favorite obscure feats. It doesn't break games, but it gives a lovely flexibility.

ericgrau
2012-02-20, 01:49 PM
Loremaster 1 gives you perform as a class skill without losing any caster levels. As a wizard the pre-req that you don't already have is maybe 1 feat. You can use loremaster 1 to give you another feat so that it's virtually free. You could stop at loremaster 1 or continue for more minor bonuses if there aren't any other PrCs you want. The lore ability is actually pretty good because even though you don't get as many class levels as a bard to apply to it, your int is much higher than a bard's. From there you might boost your saves or get a +1 to attack rolls (useful if you use rays).

Why the heck does loremaster have perform? I dunno.

EDIT: Oh, sorcerer. Loremaster will be harder to get into then. Well, find a different PrC or wait until high levels

Telonius
2012-02-20, 05:45 PM
Why the heck does loremaster have perform? I dunno.

Children's Story Time at the local Library of Occult Knowledge?