PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing shield bash

classy one
2012-02-18, 01:33 PM
I always liked the idea of a warrior charging into battle with a huge shield and smashing through the enemies' formation or just Spartan like phalanxes. I know shield and board isn't that great but I want to make some NCPs that use this tactic as a group to throw at my PCs. The PCs would be around around lvl 10 gestalted so what is a good range in terms of level and numbers and how many feats would be needed for a decent squad? I also want one NPC that will be a bit higher in lvl like a squad commander that is also gestalted.
Race: human for the grunts and Inspired for the commander.

Thanks in advance.

Keld Denar
2012-02-18, 11:13 PM
4th to 6th level would be decent, depending on numbers. Is this something you expect your PCs to fight? Check out Person_Man's Guide to Shields. There is some good stuff in there, including a feat that allows soldiers to move immediately into the space of a fallen comrade. If your PCs are packing any AoE spells, though, it totally defeats the purpose of moving in tight formation just the same way real world artillery does.

The best shield feats, however, deal with making charges and bashing folks to trip and daze them.

classy one
2012-02-19, 02:48 AM
4th to 6th level would be decent, depending on numbers. Is this something you expect your PCs to fight? Check out Person_Man's Guide to Shields. There is some good stuff in there, including a feat that allows soldiers to move immediately into the space of a fallen comrade.
I do plan on having my PCs confronting or avoiding a patrol of shield and boarders.
Could I get a link to that thread on shields?

If your PCs are packing any AoE spells, though, it totally defeats the purpose of moving in tight formation just the same way real world artillery does.
It will be up to them to prep the AoE spell/power and use it. It is part of the challenge to make some the team tactics useless.

The best shield feats, however, deal with making charges and bashing folks to trip and daze them.
Where to find them outside of SRD? Oh and should I be using tower shields like the phalanxes of Sparta?

balistafreak
2012-02-19, 03:03 AM
Could I get a link to that thread on shields?

Here you go, first result. (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=person_man+guide+shields)

(Yes, I know I could have just linked it, but seriously man, just google the title of the thing, it was capitalized as A Proper Noun, you know. :smallwink: