PDA

View Full Version : Belkar, thoughts

Dante2001
2012-02-18, 02:57 PM
So, you think Belkar might kill somebody from the OotS? I know I liked him and never thought of him betraying his "friends", yet as the story goes on this makes a lot of sense, seeing also how V is going to turn Darth when things go south.
That also may explain how is he going to die (being killed by his colleagues). After all, he's a Chaotic Evil. What also I was thinking is that, when he dies he WILL go to hell. Thing is that if he gets resurrected: do you think he may change his alignment? I mean, going to hell, seeing what it is may change anyone. Thoughts?

Kish
2012-02-18, 03:00 PM
The Oracle said, "Last breath--ever."

There isn't enough time left for Belkar to die, get resurrected, and die again before the end of the year, unless his resurrection is seconds long for a joke or something (something like that happens in Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales).

hamishspence
2012-02-18, 03:03 PM
I suppose "draw his last breath, ever, before the end of the year" does not preclude:

him dying, his soul going to the Abyss, him repenting, him being resurrected, and him becoming a good character and behaving that way, before dying again, this time permanently.

Seems unlikely though.

Given the number of opportunities he's had to betray them and not done so, I'm inclined to doubt it, whether he changes alignment or not. It would be at bit too predictable, if nothing else.

The idea of the "Token Evil Teammate" staying loyal while somebody else betrays them, seems more interesting.

ThePhantasm
2012-02-18, 03:10 PM
The idea of the "Token Evil Teammate" staying loyal while somebody else betrays them, seems more interesting.

Oh, yes. Absolutely.

fergo
2012-02-18, 03:24 PM
I don't know, I like the idea of Belkar having some redeeming moment before he dies.

Definitely nothing that makes him Good (or even just plain old good). Something a little bit selfish, a little bit stupid, a little bit inspired by the good of the team (even if just a tiny bit).

Something that is just enough to persuade those already inclined that way that Belkar is Good, but not enough to persuade the rest of us.

I want Belkar to go out in a blaze of (probably self-destructive) glory. He is, after all, a sexy shoeless god of war.

ORione
2012-02-18, 03:50 PM
Nitpick: He's not going to Hell. That's for the Lawful Evil. If he doesn't have a major change of heart, he'll go to the Abyss when he dies.

cloudland
2012-02-18, 04:22 PM
Remember Oracle's answer to Belkar's question? He was about to talk about how Belkar about to "cause the dead" of V, and consider he didn't talk about V first, it's probably something very far-fetched, even less direct than Roy's death. So I'm thinking:
-V kill Belkar just when he have become helpful. The whole team gang up on V.

Another possibility is, as thought up by another poster in the previous strip discussion, Belkar died to Kilkil (though considering Kilkil is a clerk, it's probably not in combat). V died to Yukyuk because Belkar suggested the idea to punish him, and Yukyuk is out for revenge when he broke free.

suzaliscious
2012-02-19, 01:41 AM
Remember Oracle's answer to Belkar's question? He was about to talk about how Belkar about to "cause the dead" of V, and consider he didn't talk about V first, it's probably something very far-fetched, even less direct than Roy's death. So I'm thinking:
-V kill Belkar just when he have become helpful. The whole team gang up on V.

Another possibility is, as thought up by another poster in the previous strip discussion, Belkar died to Kilkil (though considering Kilkil is a clerk, it's probably not in combat). V died to Yukyuk because Belkar suggested the idea to punish him, and Yukyuk is out for revenge when he broke free.

Belkar's. Prophecy. Came. True. When. He. Stabbed. The. Oracle.

cloudland
2012-02-19, 01:57 AM
Belkar's. Prophecy. Came. True. When. He. Stabbed. The. Oracle.

It's not about the prophecy anymore. It already come true, and the oracle, being the fair-played oracle, did indeed interpret "cause the death of" as "kill", and it was fulfilled. But! When he previously trying to explain how Belkar also cause the death of other people in the list, he mentioned V, and was only cut short by Belkar shouting angrily. So that means Belkar also cause the death of V somehow, in a very indirect way, not to fulfill the prophecy, but rather, to fulfill a related vision the oracle have.

EnragedFilia
2012-02-19, 05:05 AM
It's not about the prophecy anymore. It already come true, and the oracle, being the fair-played oracle, did indeed interpret "cause the death of" as "kill", and it was fulfilled. But! When he previously trying to explain how Belkar also cause the death of other people in the list, he mentioned V, and was only cut short by Belkar shouting angrily. So that means Belkar also cause the death of V somehow, in a very indirect way, not to fulfill the prophecy, but rather, to fulfill a related vision the oracle have.

So basically, you're saying that because the oracle was about to say something that might have kept Belkar from killing him a few panels before Belkar killed him, the fact that the thing the oracle was about to say before Belkar killed him might have had something to do with V dying indicates that Belkar will eventually have something to do with V dying?

Prophecy does not work that way. Also, overly verbose and circuitous sentences are fun.

ThePhantasm
2012-02-19, 09:45 AM

Or he could have been about to say, "As for the elf, well, you won't cause his death in any way." You have no way of knowing what he was about to say. You are extrapolating from a baseless presumption. We have no reason to believe V will even die in the story. He may make it all the way to the end.

suzaliscious
2012-02-19, 12:07 PM
At that point the Oracle was just pissing Belkar off to get stabbed. He may not even have had a full sentence prepared, being the Oracle. He may just have known that he would get cut off at that point and just threw in "As for the Elf" for some extra inciting.

Not everything the Oracle says is a prediction, you know.

mini_magician
2012-02-19, 12:22 PM

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0567.html

I agree. I highly doubt the Oracle would say, "and as for the elf... you didn't cause his/her death in any way at all!" Good find, I say!

fergo
2012-02-19, 12:23 PM
I do agree that the oracle mentioning V. is probably forshadowing of some sort.

It's not cast-iron, it may not come to anything, but it's enough to speculate on, at least.

Noir0
2012-02-20, 05:57 AM
Ive always thought that when V gets possessed by the IFCC, Belkar will be the one to kill hir and die in the process. Since Belkars two prophecies were to die by the end of the year and to kill either miko, Roy, or V.

This can be gotten around by saying belkar caused roy to die by giving him the jump ring though.

Or not if the oracle meant he will be responsible for all 3 deaths. But then in what way was he responsible for Miko's death?

Sunken Valley
2012-02-20, 07:43 AM
Ive always thought that when V gets possessed by the IFCC, Belkar will be the one to kill hir and die in the process. Since Belkars two prophecies were to die by the end of the year and to kill either miko, Roy, or V.

This can be gotten around by saying belkar caused roy to die by giving him the jump ring though.

Or not if the oracle meant he will be responsible for all 3 deaths. But then in what way was he responsible for Miko's death?

Miko vowed to kill OOTS because they defended him. This lead to her fall and death.