PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Boosting Save DCs?

Argoti
2012-02-19, 12:19 AM
So playing a beguiler but noticing I've having issues getting debuffs to stick on targets. At level 10 I have 23 int (with headband +2, dms been low magic on items until recently) and a ring he gave me that boosted the DCs by 2, but beyond that (and Cloaked Casting I think, which I do know I need to use more of) is there any other ways to get my DCs up so I can do more than Mindsight enemies and buff my party the first couple rounds?

Also whats the best way to guarantee Cloaked Casting kicks in? Greater Invisibility?

TuggyNE
2012-02-19, 01:20 AM
Well, as far as low-op solutions, there's always the (Greater) Spell Focus feats.

What are your save rates against typical enemies, approximately, and how much better do you want them to be?

Feralventas
2012-02-19, 01:56 AM
Spell Focus and Greater Spell Focus grant +1 each.

Raising your key ability score helps; consider self-buffs like Fox's Cunning.

Sacred Vow and Vow of Non-violence will add a +4 to the DC's of all non-damage spells you cast that do no harm (Disintegrate and the like violate this) but things like Charm and Suggestion can work fine. The problem with this is that it requires your team to be willing to take prisoners and Not kill helpless targets. You're also under a strict 'caster version of the Paladin's code.

Argoti
2012-02-19, 03:18 AM
Yea will grab the Greater Spell Focus feats but the the vows... yeah not gonna help. We're a bunch of murderous hobos, especially the halfling luchadore....

*edit*
Really should test my success rate, normally its "Try to hit debuff on target, it saves, well.. okay fine try to umd magic missle wand (and fail every time... have horrible UMD rolls for some reason)" but in the last 4 sessions I've landed 4 debuffs, Slow and Touch of Idiocy on a Dragon Turtle, Rainbow Pattern on 2 swordsages and Feeblemind on a better swordsage. Fought a lot of devils, girrilions, and and random abberrantions in between with nothing hitting.

Black_Zawisza
2012-02-19, 03:36 AM
One way of avoiding that problem is preventing your enemy from making a save at all. Use the Image line of spells to create an illusion of something the enemy doesn't want to interact with (therefore inviting a save), and you'e golden.