PDA

View Full Version : Playing a Wizard help

Shotaro
2012-02-19, 09:48 AM
So, I cannot find Logic Ninja's old being Batman thread and I'm struggling a little bit here, we're out in a open expanse with a large (ish) party, I have very limited spells (I'm a transmuter with Evoc and Necro barred) and can only access the other schools to the following levels Abj 3 Alt/Trans 7 Conj 3 Div 3 Enh 7 Ill 7

All spells are from PHB ONLY at DMs discretion

My spell list is as follows
0: Everything (cantrips are free)
1: Alarm, Colour Spray, Disguise Self, Enlarge Person, Expeditious Retreat, Feather Fall, Grease, Mage Armour, Reduce Person, Shield, Summon Monster I, True Strike
2: Alter Self, Bear's Endurance, Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Glitterdust, Invisibility, Minor Image, Mirror Image, Rope Trick, See Invisibility, Summon Monster II
3: Deep Slumber, Dispel Magic, Explosive Runes, Fly, Phantom Steed, Stinking Could, Summon Monster III
4: Dimension Door, Polymorph

Being in a vast open expanse means that a lot of my spells are easily bypassed, since even the "dumb" enemies at least try to flank us. The other enemies are not as dumb but are flying so again easy to bypass a stinking cloud spell. I have only used Polymorph once, against a group of Orcs; I turned into a dragon to try to scare them off and they ALL charged me. My SPD are 0: 5 1:6 2:5 3:4 4:3 and my spell save DC is +4.

What can I realistically do in these fights, FYI the rest of the party is two(!) rogues, a ranger, two fighters, a barbarian, a cleric, a druid and a theurge I'm just stumped at how I can meaningfully contribute to these fights, especially when the Druid is summoning 7 20 foot squares of spikes that do 1d8 damage per square travelled through and taking out damn near all of the ground enemies since he can surround the party with ground cover on a whim.

Oh yeah and I cannot add anything to my spellbook outside of a city, even if I find a scroll or another spell book I need to be in a town to add it to my spellbook (camps are not safe enough aparrantly)

Ancano
2012-02-19, 09:52 AM
This (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19873034/Treantmonks_guide_to_Wizards:_Being_a_God) should tell you anything you want to know about being a wizard. There's actually has a separate guide for each school of magic. And the author definitely knows his stuff.

Shotaro
2012-02-19, 09:59 AM
This (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19873034/Treantmonks_guide_to_Wizards:_Being_a_God) should tell you anything you want to know about being a wizard. There's actually has a separate guide for each school of magic. And the author definitely knows his stuff.

While that thread is great and will help with future spell choice what I'm really looking for is ways to contribute in a meaningful way to the current situation I'm in (thanks though am going to read it very thoroughly)

Timberwolf
2012-02-19, 10:02 AM
So, I cannot find Logic Ninja's old being Batman thread and I'm struggling a little bit here, we're out in a open expanse with a large (ish) party, I have very limited spells (I'm a transmuter with Evoc and Necro barred) and can only access the other schools to the following levels Abj 3 Alt/Trans 7 Conj 3 Div 3 Enh 7 Ill 7

As the song goes, seek and ye shall find (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104002). Where the forum search never works for me, Google does

Randomguy
2012-02-19, 10:09 AM
Seems like you're pretty well built or support: If you're going into a dangerous area, cast invisibility on yourself and get buffing, casting enlarge person, bulls strength, polymorph if it gets too dangerous and fly if there are flying enemies on the party melee characters.

Remember to use your illusions creatively: there must be a dozen threads with ideas.