PDA

View Full Version : The Gaming Articles

MarkReed
2012-02-19, 01:28 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum, mostly new to the comic (I've read the whole thing, but I haven't started on my second read through yet), and still pretty new to gaming. I've been involved in a few games, and I know enough to role play the character on his/her motivations rather than making the more blatant meta-gaming mistakes but I still need more experience before I'd classify myself as not-a-newb.

So I discovered the gaming articles that can be found on the website, and I'm really excited about them. I've read the one about texture and just finished the villain one; I think they're very helpful. I tried to run a small campaign (a solo campaign featuring my inexperienced self and an 8 year old girl completely new to role playing) using a set of 3.0 core books that I'd bought but not gotten to play. It was pretty difficult, and full of DMing mistakes, but I knew I'd mess up a lot going into it. Reading these articles is showing me a lot of the areas I messed up with or could have made better.

So with all that said, at the end of the villain article Rich says the following:
"As a way of working further on these issues, I'm going to go and create a completely new villain over on the message board, using this checklist as a guide. If you enjoyed this article, I encourage you to enter the Villain Design Contest I am going to hold on the message board; feel free to use either these guidelines or your own methods to come up with the most badass bad guy ever.

Next time, I'll talk about texture for players (rather than DMs), also known as "How to Have Seven Classes and Have Each of Them Make Sense." "

I realize this was written in or around 2005. So is there an archive where all of this was discussed, and a new villain was created? Also, there's no article on the site about the seven classes and how each of them can make sense. Did Rich write it on the forums? And are there any other old articles laying about on the forums that would help a newbie who wants to learn?

Thanks much for your help, everyone!
-Mark

Oracle_Hunter
2012-02-19, 01:49 PM
I realize this was written in or around 2005. So is there an archive where all of this was discussed, and a new villain was created? Also, there's no article on the site about the seven classes and how each of them can make sense. Did Rich write it on the forums? And are there any other old articles laying about on the forums that would help a newbie who wants to learn?
I'm sure there's an authoritative post somewhere but IIRC:
- Rich set up the website to show off those Gaming articles. He started OotS to draw more traffic for those articles. The forum came later.
- Those articles are it; there's nothing else written by Rich regarding gaming on the forum.

As for the rest -- if you have specific questions or seek general advice regarding a particular system, you only have to ask. Also, take a gander at the Forum Rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=30&a=1) to get a better idea as to how the forum works.

Welcome :smallsmile: