PDA

View Full Version : A question about template stacking

Mithril Leaf
2012-02-19, 01:49 PM
Now I know that one can only acquire a template once in any normal situation. However if it were an acquired template and one were PAO'd into another creature permanently, could one reacquire it? What bonuses would one keep if they returned to normal form?

Mystify
2012-02-19, 02:18 PM
Using PAO would remove your templates while you are in a different form. If you acquired a new template in that form and it is not compatible with your old form, it certainly would not stick when you transformed back. Having the template already means it is incompatible.

Mithril Leaf
2012-02-19, 02:47 PM
Now are there actual RAW rules on this, or it just your logical conclusion. I haven't actually seen any rules regarding Template loss in any of the books I've read through, but its probably I'm blind. I'm not questioning your ruling on it, just want to know if there does exist an already ruled precedence.

Mystify
2012-02-19, 02:54 PM
Now are there actual RAW rules on this, or it just your logical conclusion. I haven't actually seen any rules regarding Template loss in any of the books I've read through, but its probably I'm blind. I'm not questioning your ruling on it, just want to know if there does exist an already ruled precedence.

If you trace the polymorph effect down to alter self, it says "You cannot take the form of any creature with a template, even if that template doesn’t change the creature type or subtype."

So you don't keep your template if you are polymorphed.
And if you lose the template in one direction, it only makes sense that you would lose it in the other.

Mithril Leaf
2012-02-19, 04:12 PM
Now that does indeed make sense. However, you also keep the effects of templates that aren't specifically changed by polymorphing. For example, a phrenic human psion who used metamorphosis would retain the bonuses given to his mental stats given by the template, despite not retaining it in his other form. It seems reasonable that you would lose the physical stats of template and any bonuses to HD or the like, but if the template affected your base wisdom or charisma, it seems like those would carry over from your polymorphed template. If you lose your templates from turning back, would you be able to hypothetically acquire it in a new form if you PAO'd again?
For example here: A wizard who PAO's into a dog. He then gets warbeast templated by his druid friend. After this the spell gets dispelled. Would he retain the wisdom bonus? Additionally, if he were to PAO into a wolf, could he get warbeasted again?
(Ignore any problems with the mechanics behind the dog and wolf, they were just arbitrary animals.)
Thanks for your help! :smallbiggrin:

Curmudgeon
2012-02-19, 05:46 PM
Now that does indeed make sense. However, you also keep the effects of templates that aren't specifically changed by polymorphing.
Nope. Regardless of the template's interaction with your form, you don't have any templates when subject to any Polymorph line spell; all templates are specifically disallowed by those spells.

You cannot take the form of any creature with a template, even if that template doesn’t change the creature type or subtype.
One way to read this is that you cannot be affected by those spells (i.e., cannot take the form of any creature) while you have (i.e., you are with) a template.

Mystify
2012-02-19, 05:49 PM
Now that does indeed make sense. However, you also keep the effects of templates that aren't specifically changed by polymorphing. For example, a phrenic human psion who used metamorphosis would retain the bonuses given to his mental stats given by the template, despite not retaining it in his other form. It seems reasonable that you would lose the physical stats of template and any bonuses to HD or the like, but if the template affected your base wisdom or charisma, it seems like those would carry over from your polymorphed template. If you lose your templates from turning back, would you be able to hypothetically acquire it in a new form if you PAO'd again?
For example here: A wizard who PAO's into a dog. He then gets warbeast templated by his druid friend. After this the spell gets dispelled. Would he retain the wisdom bonus? Additionally, if he were to PAO into a wolf, could he get warbeasted again?
(Ignore any problems with the mechanics behind the dog and wolf, they were just arbitrary animals.)
Thanks for your help! :smallbiggrin:
Due to the magic of polymorph, your mind is the same, independent of the body you have. Therefore, if the body gains a template, your mind still stays the same, and there is no change to bring back to your normal form.
alternatively you could rule that if you cannot polymorph into a templated creature, then you cannot gain a template while polymorphed. Probably the simplest ruling.