PDA

View Full Version : Gobbotopia

Jetty
2012-02-19, 03:26 PM
Hello Everyone!

I noticed something; the Hobgoblin warriors who attacked Azure City decided to stay there. Why? Why did Redcloak and the rest of the Hobgoblins decide to relocate to Azure City when they had a perfectly fine village else where? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0197.html)

I don't really get the whole Gobbotopia thing - It's meant to be a haven for the different races of Goblin, but it seems to be only the Hobgoblin army who live there. (As well as the Aquatic Goblins in the searching for the phylactery strip.) I just don't understand why all the hobgoblins would relocate when their wives and children would be in the Hobgoblin village.

Can someone explain it to me? Is it purely because :redcloak: commanded it?

hamishspence
2012-02-19, 03:28 PM
If you check War & XPs, you'll find that 90% of the hobgoblins of that city were mobilized for the invasion of Azure City.

So- it suggests the army did bring their spouses and children along.

Draconi Redfir
2012-02-19, 03:36 PM
The mountain village is still in the territory of Gobbotopia, it's just that now the village doesn't need to stand on it's own off the meagre resources the mountains can provide. The Goblinoids now have a capital, and can house multiple villages all over their territories.

And while we haven't exactly seen them, it's implied that other monsters such as bugbears, ogres, kobolds, and the like have also moved in, they are just ridiculously outnumbered by the hobgoblins.

thisisnotspam
2012-02-19, 03:58 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0702.html

many of the women and children are still in the mountains.

but really, would you rather live in a japanese city or an anglo-saxon fort

fergo
2012-02-19, 04:06 PM
I would be hesitant about calling the previous goblin village 'perfectly good'. We know goblins (and their cousins) have been forced to live in the worst of land, so while these particular hobbos may have it relatively good compared to, say, Redcloak's village in SoD (no spoilers there, I think), it's still not to compare with the potential they have in the ruins of Azure City.

Azure City has access to fertile farmland, mines, and other natural resources (I would assume that the hobbos would take advantage of these, even if we haven't been shown it), not to mention a supply of human slaves.

It also is a port city, which means that they can contact and trade with nations which they don't immediately border (and therefore aren't an immediate threat to).

And finally, taking the city was a massive statement that the rest of the world could not ignore. They can't just be treat as scavenging monsters any more; they're highly organised and deadly monsters that, for now at least, are interested in living peacefully.

These things, I would think, add together to be a beacon for all of goblinkind to come together and join the hobbos at Azure City, especially once a certain kill-happy Lich is out of the way...

t209
2012-02-19, 04:56 PM
Even more better control over Azure City since Resistance and Elf Commando were wiped out and Elves (and the nobles) will be chewing over Hinjo. Now, Azurites don't have clerics (both in army and resistance).
Oh Well, Azurites' island will be their Trebizond (a place where Byzantines permanently moved in after Turks conquer their homeland).
P.S- Don't even think about Resurrection for them?
1. They're buried under rocks and it is so huge that need Min Max barbarian with Bull's Strength which is no where in Azure City.
2. They're probably eaten by demons.

Jubal_Barca
2012-02-19, 05:29 PM
Technically, Trebizond split off like a century before the fall of Constantinople. And only outlasted the parent city for a bit under a decade before being curbstomped by the Turks itself. So I sort of hope it isn't an Azurite Trebizond. :smallwink:

Omergideon
2012-02-19, 05:36 PM
Well there are some Green Goblins we see in strip 701. So other Goblin types have moved in. In fact according to the book some 6.25% of the population is non-hobgoblin. With 20,000 of them there at least that makes some 1250 or so other goblinoids in the city. I mean the Hydra Burger guy moved in already.

And yeah, Gobbotopia is a symbol to the world. As villages they could be ignored. As a nation with territory, farms, a big old port and a City the Goblins need to be respected and taken seriously by other nations. By saying it they make the statement to the world expressed in the nations motto. "Screw you suckers, it's OUR turn now!" Goblins are now to be taken seriously by all. Or else. now they are a real player in the international stage.

Petey7
2012-02-19, 05:50 PM
To give what I believe to be a fitting anology, the scattered hobgoblin villages compared to Gobbotopia, is like an indian reservation compared to the Unites States of America. The first one is ignorable, and is ignored by the majority of the world. The later is a global power that you cannot easily avoid dealing with. In fact, it is advantageous to be an ally of that nation.

t209
2012-02-19, 06:32 PM
For those who support Gobbotopia- pray the Girard's gate didn't blow up.
For those who hated Gobbotopia- pray Girard's gate to blow up (The azure city rift becoming unstable and kill all hobgoblin).
OR bury the fourth gate with rubble and trap (magically and physically) both Xykon and Redcloak (take out the big guns).

ThePhantasm
2012-02-19, 06:46 PM
For those who support Gobbotopia- pray the Girard's gate didn't blow up.
For those who hated Gobbotopia- pray Girard's gate to blow up (The azure city rift becoming unstable and kill all hobgoblin).
OR bury the fourth gate with rubble and trap (magically and physically) both Xykon and Redcloak (take out the big guns).

What? I don't see how Girard's gate "blowing up" would affect the Azure City rift at all.

t209
2012-02-19, 09:56 PM
What? I don't see how Girard's gate "blowing up" would affect the Azure City rift at all.
According to Shojo, Destroying the gates will destablize the rift.

not to mention a supply of human slaves.

Forget the slaves, they're wiped out along with the Resistance.

Bogardan_Mage
2012-02-19, 10:23 PM
According to Shojo, Destroying the gates will destablize the rift.
Didn't he mean the rift associated with the particular gate that was destroyed? For example, witness how much larger the Azure City rift grew after its gate was destroyed.

t209
2012-02-19, 11:19 PM
Didn't he mean the rift associated with the particular gate that was destroyed? For example, witness how much larger the Azure City rift grew after its gate was destroyed.

It could indirectly fueled the growth.

SpaceBadger
2012-02-22, 02:44 PM
Forget the slaves, they're wiped out along with the Resistance.

Where do you get this idea? Why would they kill useful slaves?

ti'esar
2012-02-22, 03:29 PM
Where do you get this idea? Why would they kill useful slaves?

Unless you're suggest that the Resistance somehow managed to free all the slaves, and they were then killed in its destruction, I don't get this either.

t209
2012-02-22, 05:14 PM
Unless you're suggest that the Resistance somehow managed to free all the slaves, and they were then killed in its destruction, I don't get this either.

Yep! They managed to free the slaves from prison and one of them is a corpse.

dps
2012-02-22, 10:00 PM
Yep! They managed to free the slaves from prison and one of them is a corpse.

Uh, there was a raid on a prison, and the prisoners there were freed, but that hardly means that all the slaves were freed.

t209
2012-02-23, 10:24 PM
Technically, Trebizond split off like a century before the fall of Constantinople. And only outlasted the parent city for a bit under a decade before being curbstomped by the Turks itself. So I sort of hope it isn't an Azurite Trebizond. :smallwink:

Since you told me about the fall of Trebizone,
Azurites island will be their own Solstheim, named after where Dunmer (Dark Elf) Refugees escaped to after their city (more like an entire province) was conquered by Argonian (lizard folks). Well, Dunmers were slavers who kinda deserved this.