PDA

View Full Version : Decent 8th/9th level divine spells?

Xaktsaroth
2012-02-19, 07:08 PM
Having a hard time finding some of these, outside of summoning spells, looking for something a little more........direct.

Apocalypse for the Sky is a nice choice, but I'd want something a little less "Destroying everthing in an nth mile radius"

Wondering if anyone had any insight?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-02-19, 07:37 PM
I stick to Destruction (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/destruction.htm) + Chain Spell (DMM or Metamagic Rod in CA). Due to the wording of Chain Spell, all the secondary targets have to make the save at the full DC, they take half damage if they make it but still die just as hard if they fail.

There's some decent DMM: Persist choices: Stormrage, Greater Visage of the Deity, Fell Drain Holy Star (multiple times), Choose Destiny (RoD), etc.

Shadowknight12
2012-02-19, 07:43 PM
Remember that you don't always have to pay the XP cost of Miracle. I'd prepare as many of those as I could. It's really quite versatile.

CharityB
2012-02-19, 07:46 PM
I like 'Stormrage' from the Spell Compendium. You can fly, shoot lightning from your eyes, and you're immune to ranged attacks.

Urpriest
2012-02-19, 07:48 PM
Foresight kicks major booty. You haven't specified Cleric, so I'll mention Shapechange, which replaces the entirety of the Druid's Wild Shape once acquired.

Psyren
2012-02-19, 07:49 PM
By "decent" I assume you mean "direct." Though honestly, the most powerful spells aren't (e.g. Gate, Shapechange.)

But aside from Miracle, metamagicked lower-level spells are typically what you want. Implosion works well too, especially if you lose your holy symbol during a high-level fight.

chaotician375
2012-02-20, 12:26 AM
If Spell Compendium is allowed (dont see why not) Stormrage is nice, u basicly become a flying lightning factory fly speed 40ft and u get a special ranged touch attack that deals 1d6 per 2 lvls(max10d6) and you shoot iit rom your eyes so thats cool.:smallbiggrin:

erikun
2012-02-20, 01:17 AM
What's wrong with Symbol of Death, Symbol of Insanity, Energy Drain, Implosion, Finger of Death, Repel Metal or Stone, Reverse Gravity, Whirlwind (for offensive) or Holy Aura/etc, Discern Location, Greater Spell Immunity, Astral Projection/Etherealness, Mass Heal, True Resurrection, Foresight, Regenerate, Shapechange (for defensive/utility)? This is ignoring domain spells, of course.

Alleran
2012-02-20, 03:07 AM
Foresight kicks major booty.
And you can get it as an 8th level spell with the Time domain.

Calanon
2012-02-20, 04:20 AM
Choose Destiny (RoD), etc.

That is why Vecna is the best god to Worship ever :smallwink:

Persistant Choose Destiny, Yeah! i'm picking what i want to happen :smallwink:

Xaktsaroth
2012-02-20, 02:33 PM
I suppose you all are right. I'm overthinking this.

Thanks for your help. :D

Myth
2012-02-21, 10:30 AM
Ubertastic 9s:

Miracle (solid #1, probably the best spell you can find that is such by RAI)
Gate
Shapechange
Astral Projection

Really good 9s:
True Resurrection (only here because it can be replicated with Miracle)

Avoild like the plague 9s:
Energy Drain - for that slot you can have an Enervation that will blot out the sun one-shot anything not immune to level drain. Which is basically everything at that level...
Storm of Vengeance if you don't have Swift Concentratin or Sonorious Hum. Even then it's pretty meh for it's level. It's a blasting spell that forces some Concentration checks for casting, big whoop.
Heal, Mass - do not waste your slots on healbot spells.

Of the 8th level slots, Spell Immunity, Greater is pretty darn good. Stormrage is a bag of suck, sorry to be a spoilsport.