PDA

View Full Version : Starting at level 4. As Necropolitan?

Wookie-ranger
2012-02-19, 08:23 PM
Hi there,

I Have a small question. It is more an opinion thing, then by the numbers or RAW vs RAI.

Assume:
You want to start a new campaign, starting Level is 4.
Could you apply a (or any) Template that does not have an explicit LA+ for free?

I am mainly Thinking about Necropolitan. that does not have LA+ but you lose a level (technically 2).

Side 1: you cannot do that Because you would gain more experience in total then a 'normal' Level 3 character.
Problem: well, none really, since this is the logical answer. that sort of makes sense. however you will not be starting at Level 4, even though you don't have a LA+. this may cause problems.

Side 2: I am staring at the required Level, don't have any LA+ so it is mathematically legit.
Problem: with this argument you could make a wizard that could say that they where using all their exp for crafting scrolls and therefore has infinite wealth from selling them just before gaining a level. (i know, this is silly, but someone would think of it).

hex0
2012-02-19, 08:42 PM
If I were DM I would compromise and start you at level 3 with Necropolitan and half the XP needed to get to level 4.

mikau013
2012-02-19, 08:45 PM
Technically Necropolitan only loses one level since the first level loss puts you half way between levels and the xp penalty isn't enough to drop you 2 levels if you do it from level 3 onwards.

But to answer your question: depends on your dm. So discuss it with her.

The RAW is that you lose the level and are thus behind though, but you probably want to talk to your dm anyway to ask if you can get the desecrated effect applied. Seeing as necropolitan only changes the hit dice before becoming undead, the lack of con to hp really hurts.

Urpriest
2012-02-19, 08:53 PM
This is why in general I run campaigns with an initial XP budget rather than a starting level. It also allows people to start the game with crafted stuff, LA buyoff, etc.

hex0
2012-02-22, 06:31 PM
This is why in general I run campaigns with an initial XP budget rather than a starting level. It also allows people to start the game with crafted stuff, LA buyoff, etc.

Slick move. Surely more fair...