PDA

View Full Version : I'll live

psijac
2012-02-19, 09:07 PM
I found a news article (http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gfqRu1_kG1Y1Lp7sCF1j7kSs_04g) that reminded me of Miko (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0464.html)

FujinAkari
2012-02-19, 09:28 PM
... because Miko wasn't re-elected to rule Azure City since she was trying too hard to beautify the town? :smallconfused:

psijac
2012-02-19, 09:31 PM
When asked how she felt about losing to a dead man, Brock said "I'll live."

Both had to come to terms with the loss of power, by forces beyond their control. its not a perfect analogy but it entertained me

martianmister
2012-02-20, 12:20 PM
"I will survive..."

NerfTW
2012-02-20, 12:52 PM
"I'll live" and "I can live with that" are both extremely common phrases after a bad experience. This is really sort of stretching it.

MyNameIsSecret
2012-02-20, 04:00 PM
"I'll live" and "I can live with that" are both extremely common phrases after a bad experience. This is really sort of stretching it.

I have to agree there.

Xapi
2012-02-21, 10:01 PM

Yes, but in both cases they were used (intentionally or not) for comedic effect.

Soylent Dave
2012-02-23, 12:48 AM
Yes, but in both cases they were used (intentionally or not) for comedic effect.

I think it was pathos when Miko said it, to be honest.

LudiDrizzt
2012-02-23, 01:51 AM
Why do so many people reach for viable topics on this forum? Is being interesting that important to people?

Jaros
2012-02-23, 08:35 AM

What the... you thought Miko's "I can live with that" was for comedy?

Xapi
2012-02-23, 10:31 AM
What the... you thought Miko's "I can live with that" was for comedy?

Yes. Not all comedy is sexual innuendo and physical comedy.

It's called black or dark comedy. It is funny that she chose the phrase "I can live with that" given that she was on her dying moments.

Xapi
2012-02-23, 10:35 AM
Yes. Not all comedy is sexual innuendo and physical comedy.

It's called black or dark comedy. It is funny that she chose the phrase "I can live with that" given that she was on her dying moments.

Actually, I found that a more specific term for this situation is Gallows humor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallows_humor

Edit for clarification: I don't mean that Miko herself attempted to laugh at her own situation, as it would seem is the case with most or all examples of Gallows humor. I'm saying the author is having the character say that for comedic (if dark comedic) effect.

Forbiddenwar
2012-02-23, 01:23 PM
I'm saying the author is having the character say that for comedic (if dark comedic) effect.

Nope. That is I can't read Rich's mind, and neither can you. However, Miko's last words have zero comic, not even "dark", comic effect.

Not every last line of the comic is a joke.

Edit: And in Miko's situation, it is literal. She can and will survive knowing that her horse, perhaps the only creature who cared for her, will see her in the afterlife. She can live with seeing her horse, even if it means going to the same place. She might not have been able to endure the knowledge that her actions severed her connection to her horse forever.

You may find it funny. Heck, I find certain car designs to be funny, but that doesn't mean that the car designer intended it to be a joke.

Xapi
2012-02-23, 01:41 PM
Nope. That is I can't read Rich's mind, and neither can you. However, Miko's last words have zero comic, not even "dark", comic effect.

Not every last line of the comic is a joke.

Edit: An in Miko's situation, it is literal. She can and will survive knowing that her horse, perhaps the only creature who cared for her, will see her in the afterlife. She can live with seeing her horse, but not staying with her.

Alright, neither of us can read Rich's mind, and we should agree to disagree then, not interested in a long discussion on this topic.

I will however, object to your comment that "Not every last line of the comic is a joke". Not because I don't agree with it, but because it is a strawman.

I don't expect every comic to have a joke in it. I don't even expect all jokes to be in the end of each comic. I just think this particular comic has a bit of dark comedy in it by the end.

Jaros
2012-02-23, 02:37 PM
Trust me, I'm a massive fan of dark and gallows humour, but that? No, I see that as a tragic acceptance if anything.

Xapi
2012-02-23, 02:45 PM
@forbiddenwar & Janos

As I said before, I'm not interested in getting into a long argument about this.

I've accepted that I can't know the intent of the author, please, accept that neither can you and let's move on.