PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

Troven
2012-02-19, 10:51 PM
Hi!
I have just registered mainly for help.

My freind is going to run an undead vs living war campaign and im at a lost for ideas. We are suppose to be soldiers at lvl 1 and the only character idea i can think of is a human, diablo II: Necromancer//Monk(or wizard). The setting is his own and he only banned, 9 swords, flaws, and wow/wc3 books.

Basicly what im asking for is help with chosing good feats for this gestalt and later on classes to make him extemely powefull but not Over powered and if anyone can give a better class/race sugjestion and what book its in I will be extremeley gratefull.

Note: I am using my phone to post and it destroyes my grammar. sorry.

Grinner
2012-02-19, 11:06 PM
Well, if you want a necromancer, you can use the ever popular "Dread Necromancer/Tomb-tainted soul" combination. They're in Heroes of Horror and Libris Mortis, I think.

That_guy_there
2012-02-19, 11:24 PM
The Libris Mortis is your friend in this type of game.

If you are actively thwarting the Undead, I would suggest the humble Cleric. Load up on Charisma and Wisdom for Spells and Turning... And Turning is your other friend here. Empowered Turning and Quickened Turning are going to really help at lower levels. Sacred Vengence is also a good feat to take if you are going to focus on combat and not turning (as is Unquenchable Flame of life).

Later on multiclassing into Master of Radiance will give you an advantage against any light fearing undead.

Troven
2012-02-19, 11:25 PM
I think i have libris mortis somewhere, is tomb a prestiege or would i be able to use tomb and dread for gestalt?

@Guy what books are those feats in?

Talbot
2012-02-19, 11:39 PM
Tomb-Tainted soul is a feat, and more for your allies than it is for you; it allows a living character to be healed by negative energy and (IIRC) take undead feats.

Unquenchable Flame of Life (I forget which book) gives you a +4 bonus to saves against a bunch of Undeady-stuff, as does Wise to Your Ways (Ghosttouch) if you have favored enemy to go with it. Ranger/Scout Swift Hunter is nice for these sorts of campaigns, as it lets you Skirmish Undead, and it can be attained by level 4 in Gestalt, or level 7 if you want a full DN progression on the other side.

Shadow-Sun Ninja is a GREAT PrC to combine with a party full of Tomb Tainted Souls in an Undead campaign, btw.

Grinner
2012-02-19, 11:45 PM
The thing about Dread Necromancers is that they can release negative energy at will. Combined with Tomb-tainted soul, they get free healing, assuming your DM doesn't enforce an absolutely strict interpretation of the rules.

That_guy_there
2012-02-19, 11:49 PM
Those feats are in the Libris Mortis.

The only drawback to tomb tainted is that you take damage from Positive energy.

Acanous
2012-02-19, 11:52 PM
Go Cleric of Pelor if you're on the Living side. Load up on Charisma, Vanquish the Horrible Night.

Prestige into Radiant Servant later :D

Troven
2012-02-20, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the quick replys!
Questions, are there any undead with no LA and where are half vampires and what do they do?

Grinner
2012-02-20, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the quick replys!
Questions, are there any undead with no LA and where are half vampires and what do they do?

Zombies. Skeletons. Not exactly useful, though.

Half-vampires are pretty much living vampires without the various banes typically associated with vampires (holy water, sunlight, etc.). They're also short a few abilities, but they do get a lower LA for it.

chaotician375
2012-02-20, 12:49 AM
I absolutely hate undead as a campaign centric enemy it takes any class that gets sneak attack( or similar class feature) out of the equation, not to mention the swashbuckler and crit builds. Sorry for the rage this really cheeses me so bare with my truly meta response.

play a cleric focused on turning/ monk and take vow of poverty if u can and decimate the undead horde with exalted feats that turn turning undead into a holy beam of campaign scouring light and ask him to make kobolds the enemy.

Troven
2012-02-20, 02:46 AM
I absolutely hate undead as a campaign centric enemy it takes any class that gets sneak attack( or similar class feature) out of the equation, not to mention the swashbuckler and crit builds. Sorry for the rage this really cheeses me so bare with my truly meta response.

play a cleric focused on turning/ monk and take vow of poverty if u can and decimate the undead horde with exalted feats that turn turning undead into a holy beam of campaign scouring light and ask him to make kobolds the enemy.

I get what you mean but when your entire party hates rouges but loves dead things, it starts to work, and a rouge can kill necromancers in sneak attack while everyone beelines for the skell\zombie.
Also Exalted feats wat those?

That_guy_there
2012-02-20, 10:19 AM
I get what you mean but when your entire party hates rouges but loves dead things, it starts to work, and a rouge can kill necromancers in sneak attack while everyone beelines for the skell\zombie.
Also Exalted feats wat those?

IN a splat book called "Book of Exalted Deeds" they added a whole bunch of holy and sanctified feats. They will more than likely help you against the Undead. Its the "Anti-Book of Vile Darkness".

Be careful though, a lot of the Vows tend to have heavy restrictions. Depending on where you end up in level, Vow of Poverty tends to become useless. Its good at low levels but as you hit 10+ it is very limiting (It requires you to own almost nothing, not even a masterworked weapon, and the bonuses you get are mediocre comared to the magic items available at the same level.) [but thats just my opinion].

Randomguy
2012-02-20, 04:49 PM
You could try high wisdom and charisma Cloistered Cleric//Crusader, going into radiant servant of Pelor on the cleric side.

You could also be a sorcadin: Paladin 20//Sorcerer 5/Abjurant Champion 5/Sorcerer 10.
Or go into sacred exorcist, or pious templar, or any caster or paladin prestige class.

Or be a cleric/dread necromancer, for lots of rebuke undead and casting, if you're evil.

Troven
2012-02-20, 05:51 PM
Is there a feat to make it so wizards have no arcane spell failure in light armour?

That_guy_there
2012-02-20, 06:35 PM
As far as I can remember there are no feats that let Wizards cast in armor... there are however Prestige Classes that do... If you want to go that route.

Also Unearthed Arcana... (or Arcana Unearthed... I cant remember which is the WotC book) has options for a Battle Sorcerer... I think.

Also some Classes Like Warmage have Armor Proficencies built in... but are not as open ended as straight Wizard.

rmg22893
2012-02-20, 06:39 PM
Nimbus of Light, Holy Radiance, Vow of Nonviolence, Vow of Peace. Wade into the midst of a horde of undead with fullplate on, go into total defense and watch them slowly die to your glowiness.

Keld Denar
2012-02-20, 06:52 PM
Necropolitan is kinda a 0 LA race in Libris Mortis. You die, and thus lose the better part of a level, but then you have pretty much all the undead traits.

If you are on the human side, Cleric into Radiant Servant into Sacred Exorcist, probably distributed 6/5/9 respectively. Those PrCs are all in Complete Divine. Sacred Exorcist is in particular very awesome because you get a permanent Consecrate Aura that will really be awesome when making Turning checks and otherwise being a total bastard to undeaders.

Venger
2012-02-20, 07:17 PM
Is there a feat to make it so wizards have no arcane spell failure in light armour?

wizards are not proficient with any armor, which is a problem right off the bat, so they'll take a nonproficiency penalty when wearing it. there's a feat to become proficient in light armor, but don't take it, it's a trap!

there are a couple ways to reduce ASF though:

feycraft/githcraft (both in DMG2) =each reduces ASF by 5% costs a few hundred gp
thistledown (Races of the wild) = reduces ASF by 5% costs a few hundred gp
twilight armor enhancement (book of exalted deeds) = reduces ASF by 10%, so if you were wearing a +1 mithral chain shirt (the best light armor) you'd have 0% of ASF. costs the same as a +1 bonus

are you planning on rolling wizard? they can be effective against undead. canI ask why you would like your wizard to wear armor? if AC is important to you, you might look into entering abjurant champion (complete mage) which you can get into easily enough if you have a martial weapon proficiency due to your race or dip ruathar (which also helps with the BA prereq)

what sort of character do you want in general?

Troven
2012-02-20, 11:39 PM
I know i want to deal with the arcane or divine, and that I want to be human and Dread Necromancer as part of a gestalt, the second class not to sure about, but everyone says cleric so might go wee jass or atheist cleric again.

Stormageddon
2012-02-21, 01:20 PM
I know i want to deal with the arcane or divine, and that I want to be human and Dread Necromancer as part of a gestalt, the second class not to sure about, but everyone says cleric so might go wee jass or atheist cleric again.

I don't think Cleric is going to help DN much as part of the gestalt. Druid would be an interesting choice. Getting the animal friend, and the ability to wildshape is always nice. Or maybe a Paladin variant.

Stormageddon
2012-02-21, 01:27 PM

I don't think Cleric is going to help DN much as part of the gestalt. Druid would be an interesting choice. Getting the animal friend, and the ability to wildshape is always nice. Or maybe a Paladin variant.