PDA

View Full Version : "Your Wish is my Command" [3.5e]

Milo v3
2012-02-20, 02:51 AM
I'm currently making a class which binds souls to their will called the Binder (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Binder_(3.5e_Class)). This one of the first feature of this class is that it can make soul's do deed's for them.

But I'm having some trouble thinking of possible Deed's you can force the bound subject to do.

So far I have Seven:

Protect Mundane Object
Protect Magical Object
Protect Person
Steal Mundane Object
Steal Magical Object
Knowledge
Kill Creature

This is a link to all the info on the current Potential Deeds. (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Pact_Binding_(Keran_Supplement))

So any ideas for Deed's.

Kazyan
2012-02-20, 09:03 PM
There is already a "Binder" in the Tome of Magic that binds vestiges, creatures that cannot exist, but do, in a space outside of reality. Also, this post is most likely swordsaged.

Milo v3
2012-02-20, 09:10 PM
There is already a "Binder" in the Tome of Magic that binds vestiges, creatures that cannot exist, but do, in a space outside of reality. Also, this post is most likely swordsaged.

I realise this but this class is completely different. I instead binds demons, elementals, and angels to your will, it also enables you to enchant items, and empower people by merging souls.

If you can think of a better name than binder than I will change it.

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-20, 09:54 PM
Why so exclusive? What about devils, daemons, archons, eladrin, or even inevitables?

Also, a suggested name: The Keeper of the Bound Souls.

Milo v3
2012-02-20, 10:01 PM
Why so exclusive? What about devils, daemons, archons, eladrin, or even inevitables?

Also, a suggested name: The Keeper of the Bound Souls.

It actually works with all Outsiders and Elementals, and you can get Binder Feats (Link on the class page) which let you affect other types of creatures.

Also that name while awesome seems abit long for a base class. You fine if I use that name for a prestige class though?

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-20, 10:48 PM
It actually works with all Outsiders and Elementals, and you can get Binder Feats (Link on the class page) which let you affect other types of creatures.

Ah, good.

Also that name while awesome seems abit long for a base class. You fine if I use that name for a prestige class though?

Sure, go ahead.

JoshuaZ
2012-02-20, 11:02 PM
If you can think of a better name than binder than I will change it.

Pactmage? Dealmaker?

Milo v3
2012-02-21, 01:28 AM
Pactmage? Dealmaker?

This might just be my opinion but I don't see those names fitting.
For the first one, it makes the class sound as if it gets its power from a pact like a Warlock or Tome of Magic Binder.

For the Second one, it causes it to sound like its focused on diplomacy and it doesn't really sound like it would invoke any real emotive response.

Common people in my campaign fear binders because they can bind souls and consort with demons. Commoners probably wouldn't fear Dealmakers as they don't really have any way of sounding fearsome or evil, they sound like people that make deals with people.

So now that's done...
Any ideas for potential Deed's?

Daverin
2012-02-21, 01:35 AM
Hmm, some name ideas.

The first one to come to mind is Goetist, which refers to the binding of evil spirits (goetia. Incidentally, the opposite is theurgy, but that got kind of redefined in DnD terms.) A couple of others might be Cabalist or Hermeticist. More simple ones could be Enslaver or Dominator, or heck, simply Master. There also could be absconding with terms used for autocrats of some kind, like Tyrant or Despot, depending on just how general you are willing to make the term.

Milo v3
2012-02-21, 02:17 AM
Hmm, some name ideas.

The first one to come to mind is Goetist, which refers to the binding of evil spirits (goetia. Incidentally, the opposite is theurgy, but that got kind of redefined in DnD terms.)

Goetist actually fits perfectly. But the name wasn't actually my problem...

TroubleBrewing
2012-02-21, 03:11 AM
Wow, that looks like a remarkably strong class... A bit like a Wizard, but with way more class features.

The deeds you have listed are pretty easily abusable... I mean, "Kill Creature" is pretty open-ended. What is the save DC on this ability? At what cost does this ability come?

As it is, it seems as though you've given something 9th level spells and a suite of abilities that further enhance its power.

Milo v3
2012-02-21, 06:14 AM
Wow, that looks like a remarkably strong class... A bit like a Wizard, but with way more class features.
It doesn't have the spellcasting ability of the Wizard, it is alot more focused with basically all its spells being summoning spells or have a similiar justification. So it isn't as powerful as a wizard when it comes to spells and all its power comes from its abilities.

If you look at the spell list you'll notice that their barely is anything their.
Note: I haven't actually finished the spell list but by looking at it you get an idea of how many spells you actually get.
From my guess most your spell slots are going to be spent on Summon Monster.

So you lose a lot of versitility.

The deeds you have listed are pretty easily abusable... I mean, "Kill Creature" is pretty open-ended. What is the save DC on this ability? At what cost does this ability come?
Kill Creature isn't like the effect of a spell. Its an order you give to the bound creature. Then it tries to do the task. So basically you:
Cast a spell and summon a small fire elemental, but because you summoned it into the binding circle it becomes trapped. You then try to convince it to do the binding willingly for a bargin. You use the Deed Kill Creature with the target being the king. You can't pursade it so you try to force it, you can't use it as it would be too difficult and requires a higher EBL.

You can see why I put in scaling power for the deed's.
I'll reword it so this confusion doesn't happen again.

As it is, it seems as though you've given something 9th level spells and a suite of abilities that further enhance its power.
Yes it has a tiny tiny tiny amount of spell power. And a suite of abilities that enables it to be at be useful at the game. The spell list isn't a problem with balance IMO as its more restrictive than that of a Ranger or Paladins.

TroubleBrewing
2012-02-21, 09:09 AM
I would disagree with the notion that summon spells cause you to lose versatility: Summoning things with powerful SLA's is what causes Gate shenanigans to be so game-breakingly powerful.

Rather than giving it tons of versatility in spell selection, it instead has versatility in its summon selection.

This seems like a really solid summon-based PrC, actually.

Milo v3
2012-02-21, 05:05 PM
I would disagree with the notion that summon spells cause you to lose versatility: Summoning things with powerful SLA's is what causes Gate shenanigans to be so game-breakingly powerful.

Rather than giving it tons of versatility in spell selection, it instead has versatility in its summon selection.

This seems like a really solid summon-based PrC, actually.

So this class has the spell versatility of a wizard with less than half of its spells? I don't believe that for a second. Sure you can do gate shenanigans at level 17.
But you can't do polymorph any object, wish, fly, move earth, passwall, enlarge person, magic missle, fireball, shapechange, ironskin, true seeing, or even prestdigitation. You've lost a lot of potential versatility. But the class features make up for it.

Also it doesn't have more Versatility with its summon selection. Its got the summoning selection of a wizard.

Daverin
2012-02-23, 11:49 PM
Goetist actually fits perfectly. But the name wasn't actually my problem...

Ah, sorry, that was more or less me just rambling off terms. Not that you needed it or anything. Although having Goetist as a DnD class name can only be a good thing. :smalltongue: