PDA

View Full Version : [3.PF] Bags of Holding, Magic Jar

Hyde
2012-02-20, 06:31 AM
Alright, so our Oracle has his new shiny spell, Magic Jar. While out of his body, he wants to store it in a bag of holding (interpreting the spell description line of "appears dead in any observable way" as "does not need to breathe") for safe keeping while we're doing whatever, only he wants this bag of holding to be impossible (or at least very difficult) to close, so that he's not accidentally outside the area of the spell (or spacetime) when the effect ends, thus rendering him quite dead.

Our DM ruled against it, stating there was some obscure book that warned about apocalyptic hoodoo resulting from unclosable extradimensional space, which referenced bags of holding specifically.

I don't think this is really a RAW question by any stretch of the imagination, and I'm really just fishing for opinions and any information about this situation one way or another. Also, the obscure book was allegedly one that examined the origins and possibly production of classic DnD items and creatures, and supposedly included the bag of holding and Deck of many things. It may or may not be a 4e supplement, and if anyone could identify the work, I'd be very appreciative.

So, what do you guys think?

Hyde
2012-02-20, 06:32 AM
Oh and in case it matters, the DM allows all of the 3.5 splatbooks, etc in the Pathfinder game, with specific approval.

Psyren
2012-02-20, 09:39 AM
The contents of the bag are not on the same plane as its carrier; I'm not sure what difference leaving the bag open or closing it is supposed to make. Spells don't extend across planes unless specifically stated, so he would be out of range of his body regardless of precaution.

(Unless he's using Transdimensional Mage Jar anyway, in which case he still probably wouldn't have to worry about the bag being open or closed.)

Hyde
2012-02-21, 06:36 AM
Well, the description for the transdimensional metamagic pretty much renders the question moot, huh?

I still think the DM is full of crap, though.

ericgrau
2012-02-21, 01:14 PM
It seems fine except that you better get the body out of the bag before the spell is done or the oracle's soul has no where to go which means he dies. The magic jar needs to be outside of the bag if his host body dies, or he likewise dies. If an enemy destroys the magic jar before you get the body out of the bag, likewise he dies. The magic jar needs line of effect so it needs to be out in the open too. You better get some decoy gems or hope you don't face foes with a good spellcraft.

The spell doesn't seem to have restrictions about where you put your body, even if it's on another plane. Or heck you could pound your original body into a pulp and you'd be fine until the spell is over and your soul has no where to go but the afterlife.