PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Magic Trinkets

MrEdwardNigma
2012-02-20, 08:36 AM
I'm running a game and my players have the opportunity to buy the belongings of a mysterious mage/magician/hypnotist, so I need a bunch of interesting magic trinkets. I dug up a list of trinkets I once made that an evil mage had collected, to give you an idea of the sort of stuff I need, only the idea with this mage would be that he made the items himself. Mostly as experimentation, but also for magic tricks and such.

The list:
Constrictor Rope
Enchanted rope. It tries to constrict the most nearby living person and doesn’t let go. It acts somewhat like a snake. They are only meant for emergencies and stop working after two days.
Hive Shell
Magical conch. Can be used as a communications device. Basically it’s a system that works like walkie talkies, only the shells will wait to speak until you put your ear to them, and will pulse red until you do.
Porcupine
A small, gleaming metal porcupine figure that is extremely sharp and never goes blunt.
Dragon
A small metal dragon. If you press it’s tail, it spits a small blue flame.
Eyesalve
A jar of gooey salve with small eyeballs in it. It heals all wounds, but it doesn’t grow anything back.
Dice
A pair of black stone dice that always roll a one and a six.
Predator Tooth
A large tooth with a canal running through. There’s still enough of whatever venom the creature used to paralyse one person and make them appear dead, stopping their heartbeat and breathing. This effect lasts about an hour.
Chest
A tiny metal chest with a key. It’s padded on the inside, and enchanted so it can’t be opened in any other way than with the key.
Jar of Ink
It seems like perfectly normal ink, but when used, it takes a 12 hours to appear.
Notebook
A small notebook bound in black leather. Once the letters on a page are read, the page combusts.
Origami Bird
The bird is made of paper that can be folded infinitely (yet won’t get so thick as to reach the moon…)
Whalebone Pipe
Beautifully carved in the shape of a ship. It doesn’t come with tobacco, but should you smoke any in it near the waterfront, it can summon a sunken ship.
Terracotta Flask
A small earthen flask which fills itself each day with cow urine.
Glass Eye
When put in water, it points north.
Purifying Ring
A regularlooking copper ring that purifies any water that passes through it. Wearing this ring is a bad idea, since it’ll turn your blood into water.
Strangler’s Amulet
It looks pretty much like a regular metal amulet depicting a lion’s head, and it is, but the rope’s enchanted. As soon as someone puts this on, the rope will start shrinking uncontrollably, probably choking it’s victim. The actual amulet is just a piece of metal.
Flute
A roughly carved wooden birdwhistle that attracts any nearby birds.
Alligator Egg
Enchanted egg that preserves the baby alligator until heat is added. Unless the egg is broken first, of course.
Box of Shadowdust
A small black box with a tied down lid. Inside is a greyish powder that screams non-stop when it comes in contact with sunlight.
Leatherish Stick
This is a piece of wood wrapped in the skin of an exotic animal with fluorescent skin. If it’s absorbed sunlight it gives off a fair amount of light for a while. Of course, you can’t put it out like a torch, and it gives no warning before extinguishing. The end where you’re supposed to hold it isn’t wrapped in the skin.
Silver Spoon
An old, filthy silver spoon. This was once used to poison a king, the trick being that not the food, but the spoon was poisoned. It wasn’t washed since and hence still has, besides some of the king’s dried blood, also some deadly poison on it.
Bell
A small copper bell that seems to be in order, but doesn’t make any sound.
Piece of Amber
This is a huge, bizarre looking mosquito encased in amber. This particular mosquito has an effect on other mosquitos such as it scares them away.
Mirror
A small handmirror, framed with twisted wire. The mirror is part of a pair and shows what the other part sees, in this case the barren hold of a sunk ship and some algea.
Pocketwatch
A small and rusty pocketwatch, which is ridiculously hard to open. There’s no reward inside either, just an engraving saying “Time marches on” on one side, and a clock that’s standing still on the other side. Okay, so it’s not really standing still, it’s actually moving so slowly you can’t see it move, counting down… to something.
Shrunken Head
This item has no useful functions whatsoever. It’s just a collectable.

Just for reference's sake, this campaign is D&D, but the items from the list are from a freeform game. Also, since they are buying the entire list of items the mage left behind when he moved, this could also include larger items like furniture.

DaMullet
2012-02-20, 08:55 AM
These kind of items are my favourite! I have a couple from a game I ran, some more useful than others.

Rusty dagger
This rusted steel blade passes through living flesh as though it weren't there, but is doubly effective against the nonliving (both undead and constructs), and can strike ethereal undead.

Pocket mirror
This small round hand mirror has the ability to heal your wounds by applying them to your reflection. If your reflection has more damage than you have hit points, the mirror shatters, cursing you for seven years. The only way to heal your reflection is to take the wounds back on yourself.

Kazoo of Wonder
When played, this colorful instrument produces an array of unusual magical effects, rolled randomly on a table.

I've since lost the table, but it had such effects as spewing fog from the mouth of the kazoo, summoning a swarm of insects, animating a rope, dispelling magic, or doing sonic damage.

supermonkeyjoe
2012-02-20, 09:30 AM
Some from my game:

Decoy bracer pointing this bracer and uttering a command word causes an illusory duplicate of yourself to run to the location you pointed at up to 400ft away and stand there, the image cannot traverse any difficult terrain but will avoid any minor obstacles in the way.

Lawman's badge when this badge is presented and the command word is uttered the badge projects a Hold person effect in a 60' cone.

Jay R
2012-02-20, 11:35 AM
Bag of Duplication: Put any object that can fit through a 1-foot diameter hole into this bag, and you can draw it back out, plus a duplicate. The duplicate has no value (magical items have no magic, weapons are pot-metal, coins are base metal, jewels are glass, food is non-nutritious, etc.) but they look perfect without a close inspection.

Golden Helmet of Mambrino: This item looks like a shaving basin, but when placed on the head of a paladin, it acts as +2 plate armor. -2 to Charisma, though, since it still looks like a shaving basin.

Bed of Alarm: This bed will instantly wake its occupant if any intruder enters the castle of the original owner. Note that since you don't know where that is, this means it wakes the occupant randomly, any time an animal walks across those ruins, thousands of miles away.

Razor of Logic: At a command word, this razor will instantly and safely shave anybody within 60 feet, except the barber who owns of the razor. (This could be an extremely powerful item, if they learn to use it to shave, say, "the person in this room who betrayed the king".)

Randomguy
2012-02-20, 01:33 PM
Shouldn't it be called Occam's razor, after the wizard that created it? :smallbiggrin:

The Ivory Truffle Pig: This ivory statuette of a pig can be comanded to grow to full size and find the nearest source of food, fresh water, or truffles. It can only remain active for 2 hours a day, split up as the user desires.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-02-20, 02:07 PM
Here's one I just thought of:

Boots of Multiple Steps These plain leather boots seem to have extra padding on the soles to seemingly reduce the niose of the wearer's footsteps. But any wearer will note that every step emits a cocophany of sound that echoes off surfaces that do not exist. In effect, it reduces Stealth (or whatever the games equivalent is), rolls by -10 but anyone hearing the steps have difficulty pinpointing where the sound comes from from the infinitly echoeing steps.

The whole point is to put on the Full-Plated fighter and cleric, who will give away your position anyway, and make it work to their advantage. The enemies know your coming, but can't pinpoint where nor how many. Which still gives you an element of suprise you wouldn't have.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-02-20, 02:08 PM
Here's one I just thought of:

Boots of Multiple Steps These plain leather boots seem to have extra padding on the soles to seemingly reduce the niose of the wearer's footsteps. But any wearer will note that every step emits a cocophany of sound that echoes off surfaces that do not exist. In effect, it reduces Stealth (or whatever the games equivalent is), rolls by -10 but anyone hearing the steps have difficulty pinpointing where the sound comes from from the infinitly echoeing steps.

The whole point is to put on the Full-Plated fighter and cleric, who will give away your position anyway, and make it work to their advantage. The enemies know your coming, but can't pinpoint where nor how many. Which still gives you an element of suprise you wouldn't have.

DigoDragon
2012-02-21, 08:24 AM
Hoard-Coin: A small metal coin that when flipped it will always land on its side. One per day the coin can be rolled on the floor, where it will roll toward the nearest source of significant precious metal or gems, as a "Locate Object" spell.

Jay R
2012-02-21, 09:08 AM
Razor of Logic: At a command word, this razor will instantly and safely shave anybody within 60 feet, except the barber who owns of the razor. (This could be an extremely powerful item, if they learn to use it to shave, say, "the person in this room who betrayed the king".)
Shouldn't it be called Occam's razor, after the wizard that created it? :smallbiggrin:

Different logical razor. If I had an item called Occam's razor, it would be used to determine the simplest explanation. I've thought about it, but haven't come up with a good mechanic for it.

This one is based on a logic puzzle: In a given town, every man is shaved either by himself or by the barber, and no man is shaved by both. Who shaves the barber?

The barber, of course, is a woman.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-02-21, 10:03 AM
Different logical razor. If I had an item called Occam's razor, it would be used to determine the simplest explanation. I've thought about it, but haven't come up with a good mechanic for it.

This one is based on a logic puzzle: In a given town, every man is shaved either by himself or by the barber, and no man is shaved by both. Who shaves the barber?

The barber, of course, is a woman.

The barber's a woman.

EDIT: Will you believe I figured it out without the Ninja-text?

Swooper
2012-02-21, 10:42 AM
I remember a couple of items from similar threads...

A quarterstaff that is ordinary in all aspects, except that it will stay upright, balancing perfectly on one end, if left that way.

A bucket that flips over a short (random?) while after you put it on the ground, regardless of contents.

Edit: Found one of these old threads (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-159869.html)!

Edit2: And here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79541)'s another.

Lea Plath
2012-02-21, 06:44 PM
The Child's Armour

Basically it is a sauce plan that goes on your shoulder, to which other bits of cooking ware can be attached. It provides the protection of plate armour and is supernaturally strong, but the bindings holding them together aren't.

DaMullet
2012-02-22, 07:53 AM
Cursed Amulet of Immortality
This gold amulet is inscribed with the seal of whatever your local god of Death is, and when put on cannot be removed. A person wearing the amulet cannot be killed by any means; old age, disease, wounds, even magical death effects cannot slay the wearer. The wearer still suffers any negative effects of these conditions, up to but not including death. Further, the wearer cannot be healed by magical means.

Roak Star
2012-02-22, 11:34 AM
Robe of Useless Items: Can really take the form of any clothing that contains pockets (Belt, perhaps a Bag), but that's not important. This Robe has pockets from which it's wearer can pull nearly any mundane item, though the item extracted is guarenteed to be completely useless (or at the very least, the most unhelpful) for the current situation.

Examples: Person is on fire, robe produces an unlit torch.
Person is under water, robe produces a bucket.
Person is falling to their death, robe produces Caltrops.

Fiery Diamond
2012-02-22, 08:10 PM
Robe of Useless Items: Can really take the form of any clothing that contains pockets (Belt, perhaps a Bag), but that's not important. This Robe has pockets from which it's wearer can pull nearly any mundane item, though the item extracted is guarenteed to be completely useless (or at the very least, the most unhelpful) for the current situation.

Examples: Person is on fire, robe produces an unlit torch.
Person is under water, robe produces a bucket.
Person is falling to their death, robe produces Caltrops.

I like this one.

Balain
2012-02-22, 11:33 PM
There were some books called Encyclopedia Magica (I think) All the magic items published, from books, modules, dragon and dungeon magazines(upto #200 for dragon anyways) There was some good ones in it.

I remember a teddy bear that helps you sleep when you hold it.

There was a campaign played a long time ago. The DM made up this sleeping bag sort of thing. It would fully heal you when you sleep in it, but you would sleep for 8 hours and nothing wold wake you up until the 8 hours had past. So the party would have to protect the sleeper.

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-02-22, 11:45 PM
Johnson's Eversmoking Cigar
Gives a +2 bonus to all intimidate checks, +4 if you are wearing a uniform. Any person with the cigar in their mouth has an additional +2 to saving throws, +4 against explosions, fire, and melee. Once per day you can disguise your alignment as a Lawful alignment.

Wiwaxia
2012-02-23, 04:26 AM
Knife of Unfortunate Accidents
A knife enchanted so that the dull edge appears sharp and vis versa.

Bag of Holdings
Once every 1d10 days, the owner of this bag can reach inside and pull out a deed to a one-acre piece of land somewhere on their current plane (legally notarized by relevant authorities). The land must be at least 20 miles from the owner's current location, but may be anywhere else on the plane. Any one owner can hold no more than 100 such deeds.

Ring of the Forest's Eyes
This wooden ring bears rough wooden carvings of two animals and a pair of closed eyes. When worn, the eyes on the ring open, and the wearers eyes are removed and transformed into the animals depicted on the ring. These animals are perfectly normal in every way, save that the wearer of the ring can see through their eyes. Remove Curse or similar magic allows the wearer to remove the ring, whereupon their eyes resume their natural form. If the two animals are within 10 feet of the wearer, the eyes also replace themselves in the wearer's head.

Cannon of Canon
If a book is loaded into this cannon and fired at a church, temple or other religious building, its contents are immediately included in the religious canon of the religious organization occupying that building. If it is fired at the main or head temple of a religion, this effect applies to the entire religion. Adherents of the affected organization or religion are not magically compelled to obey the text, nor are they prevented from removing it from their religious canon. Realizing that the inserted text was not always there requires a DC 25 Will save.

Excession
2012-02-23, 04:37 AM
Fairy in a jar
She looks really angry. Add magical power to taste. Also available in plot hook flavour.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-02-23, 10:25 AM
Fairy in a jar
She looks really angry. Add magical power to taste. Also available in plot hook flavour.

Alternative: Opening the jar will make her happy and thank you for her release by healing you. Crescendoing fanfare optional but preferred.

eulmanis12
2012-02-23, 07:36 PM
Gloves of Boxing
Gloves that when worn cause a cardboard box of appropriate size to spontaneously form around any object that the wearer punches.
(Punch self for instant hiding place)

Duct of tape
a 3ft by 4ft by 6ft stainless steel air duct open on both 3x4 ends. Contains unlimited supply of adhesive tape.

Book of Cannon

a book that looks indistinguishable from the holy book of the chief religion of whatever nation you are currently in but when open reveals the muzzle of an 8 pounder field gun, the gun then fires. It is loaded with an 8 pound round shot, and reloads when the book is closed.

Book of Canon

A book that automaticly transforms into a copy of the holy book of the any religion, translated into the language the user is most familiar with.

Book of Cannons

A book containing Matinence instructions, operation instructions, and appropriate balistics tables for every type of cannon ever made. If placed in contact with a cannon it will automaticly open to the appropriate page.

Hand Cannon

A cannon loaded hands. They grab onto/attempt to strangle anything they hit

Door of Revolvers

A revolving door that shoots anyone who goes through it with a colt navy revolver

Potable Hole

a hole that renders any water placed inside it safe to drink.

Coin of needing to be tossed again
a coin, with a clearly marked heads and tails, that when tossed will always land in such a way that it is not clear if heads or tails won.

Soveriegn Goo
The king of all things gelatinous

Eleven Foot Pole
The world's tallest Polish guy

Ship in a bottle
looks like an ordinary ship in a bottle but when smashed a rubber dingy appears.

Pocket of Picking
A pocket that when placed in contact with an article of clothing automaticly replaces an already existing pocket. It can be unswitched at will but brings with it anything that was placed inside.

Paper of Rock and Scissors

a sheet of paper with a picture of a rock and a pair of scissors. both pictures can be transformed into actual items by saying "shoot" while folding one's hand into the appropriate position.

GreenSerpent
2012-02-24, 06:28 PM
Ring of Immolation

Sets you on fire.

Decanter of Endless Vodka

Just... just no. When combined with a dwarf in the party.

Staff of Thunder

"Hold on tight."

Autolykos
2012-02-24, 08:02 PM
The following ones aren't my idea, but I forgot the source:

Flaming Dagger
The grip of this dagger is wrapped in red leather, and the blade shows fire-like ornaments. When drawn, it starts to insult the nearest neutral or hostile person using its wielder's voice (if there is one within earshot).

Potion of Flies
A flask with ornaments that look somewhat like leaves. The word "Fly" is written on it. Whoever drinks it won't be able to fly, but any winged insects within a few miles will find him irresistible.

Ring of Gaseous Form
Works just like the potion, but once you put it on, you can't find your finger...

Bag of Misplacement
A faulty Bag of Holding. Looks like a regular one, and works like one, too. With one exception: At random intervals (from a few hours to several weeks), it will switch its content with another such bag (which may be in a completely different place or even plane...).

TuggyNE
2012-02-24, 09:45 PM
Bag of Misplacement
A faulty Bag of Holding. Looks like a regular one, and works like one, too. With one exception: At random intervals (from a few hours to several weeks), it will switch its content with another such bag (which may be in a completely different place or even plane...).

This inspires me to create one myself. (Which... turns out to be a cursed item. Yay?)

Cloak of Misplacement
This cloak appears to be a cloak of minor displacement; however, it is cursed. It is not obvious that it does not provide a miss chance until the wearer is attacked in earnest. Additionally, all Survival checks you or anyone within 30 feet of you make to avoid getting lost have a +5 penalty to the DC, due to the pervasive blurring of the surroundings. You must make a Survival check every hour at this increased DC, and if you fail you are separated from your party (if any), and lose your way.

Nepenthe
2012-02-24, 11:15 PM
Here are some I came up with for a similar thread on another forum (http://dtwenty.freeforums.org/portal.php).

Solar-Powered Torch.
As Everburning Torch, but only functions above ground during the day, or within the area of a Daylight spell.

The Meretricious Box
A small box made of fine wood, lined with velvet, and suitable for holding jewelery. When closed it immediately casts "Open" on itself.

Hairbrush of Prestidigitation
When passed over a subjects head, the subject's hair assumes any style he desires.

Vampyre's Vanity
An ornate hand mirror of polished silver. The reflections of ethereal creatures can be seen in this mirror, but creatures on the Material Plane do not reflect.

Sniper
2012-02-25, 03:23 AM
A few from an older campaign

Goggles of Mapping

A character wearing the Goggles of Mapping an focus on a location, either known to the wearer or completely unknown, and the goggles will overlay text giving directions on how to get to the location by safest, shortest route.

There are a few catches: You cannot focus on a 'general' area like 'nearest castle' or 'nearby piles of gold pieces'. You need a location, such as 'King Plothook's Castle' or 'Central City Vault'.

'Safest and shortest' doesn't mean the trip will be short, or even safe. It just means that you'll pass through the hunting area of a pack of dire Wolves instead of a Dragon's Nest.

If the location is unknown, there is a 10% chance of a 'mishap' occurring. Roll 1d100 and consult the chart (which I don't have on me, but contained stuff like following paths through abandoned towns that serve as a bandit camp, taking a wrong turn and ending up far away from your destination a la Teleporting mishaps)

Fencing Sword

When he command word is spoken, this +2 rapier turns into a length of picket fencing 50ft in length, 8ft in height, with the Fencing Sword visibly hanging from the middle Picket. Removing the Fencing Sword from the fence causes the fence to disappear instantly

Stop Watch

This expensive looking gold Pocket Watch hangs from a sender gold chain. Opening the watch reveals a regular Pocket Watch, which keeps accurate time regardless of what plane you are on (but relative to the Material Plane). Inscribed on the inside of the watch cover is a command word, written in Draconic. By speaking the command word (in Draconic, or by making a DC 30 Bluff check), a Time stop effect occurs, for as long as the watch remains open. Regular rules for Time Stop apply, except the duration is essentially endless until the watch closes, and only for the person holding the watch and who has spoken the command word (they still age and need to sleep though, so be careful). Once the watch is closed time resumes as normal. Speaking the command word with the watch closed does nothing

Silver Thread
A small spool of thread, seemingly made of Silver, that never runs out. Any clothing made with the thread shines on mental command, and confers a +1 luck bonus to saves (cannot be applied to armor). Any wounds stitched closed with the thread act as if a Cure Light Wounds had been cast on the recipient. this effect can occur only 3 times per day per person, and takes 1d4 minutes to apply. Can be used on undead to damage them, if you can get one to sit still.

Book of Curses
When opened, the book verbally berates anyone in the immediate vicinity, calling into question they're combat ability, intellect, personal hygiene, lineage and profession of their mothers, and other delightful insults. Once closed the book continues shouting (although it is muffled) until placed inside a bag or some other similar container for 1d4+1 minutes and ignored. Replying to the book in any other way causes the insults to get louder and more childish the more time you spend replying to it.

Oddly enough, if a Troll eats a page from the book it gains the benefits of Divine Power as if it cast it on itself as a level 20 Cleric

Shoes of Sliding

Anyone wearing these shoes may slide along any flat surface instead of walk. You are treated as if you had 5 ranks of Balance when it would be beneficial (moving in an area affected by Grease for example.). Any smooth and/or lubricated surface doubles your move rate (wet floors, perfectly smooth sheet of cave floor)

Retainer Wall

This small token, with a <-> shape, can be placed on any flat horizontal or near-horizontal surface, and once a command word is spoken, a Sentient Wall that is Helpful towards you will appear, stretching between the 2 nearest vertical surfaces in the direction the arrows point, with a height between 2 and 15 ft. The wall cannot move, but it can communicate with you telepathically over any distance (even over planes), and speak Common and one other language you know to anyone within 15 ft. As it is sentient (I don't have it's mental stats unfortunately) it is capable of making social skill checks, and interacting with anyone who approaches. If the wall is damaged it summons 2 Gargoyles to defend itself. The wall can be told to recognize allies and enemies specifically. Spells can be cast on the wall, which can later be cast by the wall, using your stats as caster at the time of Casting. Spells dissipate in 1 week/Caster level

Tetsubo 57
2012-02-25, 09:07 AM
large jar with head in amber liquid (seems to be aware): head is one Ewar
Farrar (LN), an apprentice Necromancer who cheesed off his mentor, he has
been in the jar for 78 years (43 of them in his masters den). Outside of
the jar he will quickly die.

dagger w/ curved black blade (gives you an uneasy feeling): magically
poisoned and of evil alignment.

a case of labeled Oils of Firey Burning (12).

rune covered arrow: Arrow of Were- Slaying.

conch shell: has four hours of music recorded on it, popular symphonies.

opened face helm: Helm of Underwater Action.

medallion w/ 17 moonstones: a magic compass, always knows North and can
'tag' an object for tracking.

16 matching arrows: +2 to hit, explode for 3d6 (five foot radius) magical
fire damage.

23 matching bolts: +1 Bolts of Distance, triple range, can be re-used.

onyx wolf figurine: functions as Onyx Dog except as follows- form of black
Dire Wolf, max HP, Int 10, communicates telepathically with owner, can be
used for a maximum of twenty four hours continuously per tenday.

silver ring w/ garnet: Ring of Infravision.

blade (24" long, 3" wide, 1/4" thick, straight with D-style guard and
beautiful wood grips): blade will cut wood and plants without effort,
leaves the plant unharmed, will not cut any other substance.

27 sheets of vellum in leather scroll tube: pages can accept 'images' from
a mage using them, will record anything the mage is looking at when command
word is used ( Flash!).

lidded medallion on chain: 'pocket' clock, tells time (hour, minute,
seconds), date, has chime (hourly, every ten minutes or every minute) and
has hologram of dancing girl (seven veils strip).

gold nightengale (life sized): automaton, functions like real bird, has
switch and will come when called.

pheonix feather quill: has endless supply of mundane ink.

ivory cube (1" x 1" x 1"): 'icecube', will cool up to a gallon of liquid
down to any temp. short of freezing in one minute, can be used for one hour
per day.

8" pot w/ attached lid: lid attached by short chain, will self heat (up to
1000 degrees), must rest for equal time period used, maximum of twenty four
hours use at one time.

flask of blood: vampire blood, one pint.

bronze bracers: function as Cloak of Arachnida.

glass sphere (15" diameter) with small blue demon inside (appears unhappy
and aware of it's surroundings): entrapped minor demon, sphere has had
Glassteel cast on it, opening the sphere will release the demon, demons
name is Takoupla and is LE.

invisible ring: gold ring which is invisible.

Brauron
2012-02-25, 10:30 AM
Cup of Joe: created by the minor mage Joseph the Ever-Alert, this ceramic mug will, up to 3 times per day upon command, fill with hot coffee, the drinking of which automatically removes the conditions of Confused, Dazed, Exhausted or Shaken; However, drinking all three cups in a single day results in the user being unable to sleep the following night, which is problematic for spellcasters.

SilverLeaf167
2012-02-25, 12:00 PM
Once in a lazy DMing mood I literally parachute-dropped a crate of random stuff on the party. :smallbiggrin: I can't remember even nearly all of them, but here are some of those I remember.

Miniature Golem: A really small golem, similar in appearance to an action figure. It would perform any single-word command to its best ability (which, frankly, isn't very well).
Orb of Discovered Talents: A small glass orb with swirling, colored smoke on the inside. Every day, it would grant its carrier a +2 bonus to a random ability and change color.
Hand Cannon: A bulky metal gauntlet that could cast Fireball a couple times per day at minimum range (so that the edge of the affected area was right in front of the caster) with a powerful recoil that sent the user back a couple dozen feet.
"Chameleon Hat": Nickname given by the players. A pointy witch's hat, which grows the wearer's tongue to a length of 10 feet (can be rolled up). It was given to the party Cleric, who used his tongue to channel touch spells and confuse the common people.
Woodchuck's Chuckable Chucker: A typical hatchet, which on command would fly around and start hacking on the closest wooden item.

Argh, I think there were a couple good ones but I can't remember those.

Also, I once gave the players limited Bags of Holding that would only carry normal money, to fix the usual logistics problems that arise with huge amounts of cash.

Crafty Cultist
2012-02-25, 06:12 PM
Onyx lock: when touched to a lock, increases the DC to unlock by five. Only three locks can be affected at any given time.

Onyx key: when touched to a lock, the DC to open the lock decreases by five. Works three times per day.

Combined, the lock and key can produce a arcane lock or knock spell once per day.

Lucky coin: When thrown, this coin cast bless or bane on the user depending on which side it lands on.

hydraa
2012-02-28, 06:18 PM
Belt of Timely Tools
Aka Belt of Utility
This wide yellow belt contains multiple pockets. Must be worn to activate. When a pocket is open, the most approriate tool for the task at hand is produced. Typically this will give you a +2 bonus to a skill or ability check, but 10% of the time will provide a larger bonus.

Last owner is unknown but was found in a cave in a pile of guano.

Coin of stopping

This small silver coin will tossed at a charging or running creature will instantly negate the charge or running. This coin can be used 10 times before losing its effectiveness.

eulmanis12
2012-02-29, 08:03 AM
Glasses of Sun

These glasses when worn, and the command word is spoken, allow the user to see everything as if the sun were shining brightly, however they do not provide this to anyone who isn't wearing them. They function for the same amount of time as the user spends in the sun with them on, they are rechargeable.

Art of War
A book, reading it grants the charecter +2 to persuade, Lie, hide, spot, leadership, initiative, int, and wisdom for the for the rest of the day.

Rorrik
2012-03-01, 11:47 AM
Holey Bag of Holding
Part of a two part set, somewhere in the world an unknown person has the other bag. Anytime an item is put in the bag, it appears in the other bag. It cannot be retrieved until the owner of the other bag removes and replaces it. Thus thing placed in the bag appear to disappear and sometimes reappear. Other times random objects seem to appear.

Time Machine Gauge
A small, stopped clock. The possessor can see the world always in the light of the time on the clock. The clock can be set to any desired time. Useful to seeing at night and for quickly resolving (rare) situations that require knowledge from a specific time of day.

DaMullet
2012-03-01, 10:11 PM
The pennybag: This bag always contains exactly one copper piece when opened, regardless of its contents when closed last. No one knows where items go if placed in the bag, only that when it is opened again they have been replaced by a single copper coin.

Cloak of the Stage: This long, flowing, sequined cloak allows you to do minor magical tricks and transmutations to objects, but only once they have been secreted into the robe.

Rorrik
2012-03-06, 09:30 PM
Inseparable Lock and Key The lock is of the highest quality and nigh unpickable. They key, a lovely thing, is enchanted so as to never be lost, each hour it spends removed from the lock it teleports back to its place on the tumblers. (Also available in chest form)

Self Guarding Pedastle Able to maintain undead assigned it by the possessing necromancer. Raises those undead when the activated(perhaps by removing the thing it holds).

eulmanis12
2012-03-07, 07:57 AM
Book of Matches

A book with pictures, discriptions, and instructions for the use of every incendiary device in existance

Swiss Army Fife
A fife with 8 other attached musical instrument.

Bear Trap

A trap that when activated summons 8 bears to attack whoever springs it

Agent 451
2012-03-10, 10:37 PM
I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned the Xain items (http://www.spiderwebforums.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=258348) from Exile 3...

Rorrik
2012-03-12, 09:50 AM
Epic Moving Bag: A large Santa Claus style sack capable of holding up to 3000 lbs. When one reaches into it, one of its contents is removed at random. When first encountered, it contains the furnishings of a wealthy household who had been moving in a hurry. Grandfather clocks, tables, chairs, broken mirrors, shards of glass, rotten food, giant rats, beds, couches, potted plants, silver ware, cursed items and magic trinkets from this thread, a bag containing the family fortune, etc.

FireEyes
2012-03-13, 10:22 PM
None of these were made up by me...

Coin of False Fates: When flipped and called in the air, it always lands on the opposite side called.

The Automatic Signpost: whenever this ordinary looking wooden sign post hears the name of a City anywhere on the same Plane, it spins around a few times and ends up pointing in the direction of that City, with the travel times for walking there, riding a coach, boat, airship, and/or any other travel device available to your setting.

Cloak of the Mysterious Stranger: A full-length heavy black cloak, which is always flowing in a mystic wind. The wearer's face is always shrouded in darkness, and the wearer is always outlined in a looming shadow, regardless whether there is any light source nearby or not. Also, a narrow sliver of light plays across the wearer's eyes, making them stand out dramatically against the darkness of the cloak and his shrouded face.
Whenever the wearer moves, there is a swooshing noise, pnctuated by the snapping of the cloak in the wind (whether or not there's any actual wind). The wearer's footsteps create a dramatic echo (booming, rapping, or crunching, as the wearer prefers), no matter what surface is being walked on, or any attempts to be silent.

The Book of Tales: This ancient, leatherbound tome has no writing within it, its pages all completely blank. But should you write a person's full name into the book the pages magically fill with the complete story of that person's life, no matter who they may be or when they lived. Upon next being closed, the book's pages become blank once more.

The cloak is my favorite, it was used to great effect in a campaign that I played in.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-03-13, 10:34 PM
The Book of Tales: This ancient, leatherbound tome has no writing within it, its pages all completely blank. But should you write a person's full name into the book the pages magically fill with the complete story of that person's life, no matter who they may be or when they lived. Upon next being closed, the book's pages become blank once more.

The cloak is my favorite, it was used to great effect in a campaign that I played in.

This book can end entire plots, adventure hooks and pretty much any adventure where you know your target's full name. Just saying. Did it get abused to that effect?

deuxhero
2012-03-13, 10:57 PM
Bag of Holding: This item functions as a normal Bad of Holding, however when attempting to retrieve an item, a calm female voice tells them there is a wait time of 4d10 minutes before they can retrieve their item (actual time is stated time plus 6d6 additional minutes). During this wait, the bag plays either annoying music or advertisements for the bag's creator's other products/services.

Upon attempting to retrieve an item, there is a chance that the wrong item is retrieved, or that the intended item is simply missing. Obtaining the original item requires an additional 4d10+6d6 minutes and has only a 5% chance of success.

Cl0001
2016-04-27, 05:26 PM
When I was a dm, I came up with a couple cool ones in the original 5e list. My favorite was for this glass knight chess piece. Here's the dets: It was made by an old and powerful knight for his squires. When placed on the ground and a phrase spoken, he and his steed appear in its place. It's extremely powerful when attacking but easy to break. Once spawned, all enemies agro onto it and if killed in battle, he cannot be resummoned.