PDA

View Full Version : Factotum Shadow Jedi..? Curious Build.

Red_Dog
2012-02-20, 11:00 AM
So... After reading about Shadowcasters, re-reading ToM 3 times, reading web enchantment for Shadowcasters and re-reading few guides... I started to experiment came up with a weird concept that somewhat circumvents an average Master of Unseen hand... Without further due.. =>
*BIG disclaimer, as I am writing this, I think that Dungeon Crusher's attack might need Actual Str to deal bonus STR dmg. If a DM that runs a campaign agrees to add INT instead of STR, or in addition to, than large STR mod is not that necessary, otherwise boosting STR for dmg might be necessary. However, they key idea of hurling people with "forcepush" remains regardless of this compromise, it will just happen with less impact dmg. Technically speaking since Mystery directly makes a substitution of STR with INT, one can try to argue that it substitutes it into all the results of such attack, but again, DM has a last word as usual here.*

*Build for level 10, everything is in "playable" order to minimize patchy progression*
Factotum Shadow Jedi
lvl10 Human
Stats=> Max Int & potentially STR, rest is w/e.

Factotum+1/Fighter+1/Shadowcaster+1/Factotum+2/Shadowcaster+4/Fighter+1[Dungeon Crasher]

Feats[4+1Human+1Fighter+1Shadowcaster]=>Able Learner, Combat Expertise, Improved Bulrush, Improved Trip, Favored Mystery[Quicker than the Eye], Improved Disarm, Favored Mystery[Umbral Fist],
*Option 1=> Replace some Combat Maneuvers with Font of Inspiration*
*Option 2=> Practiced Spellcaster could be interpreted of giving +4CL to shadow casting, especially since every caster and their mother has this feat. However it is up to interpretation since book does not explicitly state this*

Skillz=> Sleight of Hand, and than, anything you might want. There will be plenty of skill points to go around, so really anything from UMD(obvious choice), social skills[Jedi Mind Tricks anyone? ^^] & etc.

Mysteries
Fundamentals=> Umbral Handx2, Sight Obscurredx2, than any other one.
Apprentice=> Quicker than the Eye, Carpet of Shadows, Trail of Haze, Quicker than the Eye, Umbral Fist.
================================================== =>

So there you have it ^^. Rather silly, however, you can steal a LOT of things [+15 sleight of hand and using Umbral Hand at range], and when it comes to pushing folks around, at rather long range (150ft without potential Practiced Spellcaster) you can perform Trip, bullrush & disarms with having your Int modifier count twice (Brains over Brawn) for pushing them. All while still being one of the top skill users in your party and probably the best thief [adding your Int to Sleight of Hand thru factotum on TOP of +15 Mystery accumulated bonus^^]. Advancing this can go in few different directions such as getting 2nd Dungeoncrusher ability, or getting more Mysteries and being a PseudoGish.
*Edit! potential Mystery Swap could be from Carpet of Shadows to Bend Perspective. This trick can let you do w/e it is you want to while being in entirely different room hehe ^^. This takes away some versatility and adds it to uses of a primary focus [stealing/force tricks]*

All and all, I really liked Shadowcasters, shame I won't get to play one in any foreseeable future, but hopefully some people liked this silly build ^^.

P.S. I think similar idea can be accomplished with using Marshal instead of Factotum and upping Charisma instead of Int. This way, the party will enjoy some boosts. The issue however will be in lack of sweet sweet skills.

gorfnab
2012-02-20, 06:49 PM
:biggrin: Nice to see some more Shadowcaster love in this forum. You have definitely found some interesting options for a potential Shadowcaster gish type character. Mind if I add your build to my handbook?

Ryulin18
2012-02-20, 07:25 PM
Its :smallconfused:...Its...:smallamused:...Its Beautiful :smallfurious:

I have to run this in my next campaign! With your permission I would like to playtest this next week?

Force pushing people everywhere, Slapping people royally! THE JOYS!

Red_Dog
2012-02-20, 08:32 PM
gorfnab =>

Thx man ^^ Your handbook was one of the few I read before building this! Thx man^^ Of course you can add this to the handbook if you want^^ BTW, I actually really wanted to make a Shadowcaster build thread. I find this class to be something that T1 casters should have been=versatile that needs to be smart to get cool tricks. But I digress ^^

Ryulin18 =>

Thank you! ^^ Of course you can play test it! ^^ Especially since I highly doubt that I ever get to heh ^^. So yeah totally do it! I hope it works like planned! ^^ Also don't forget, this build DOES have +6BAB by lvl10 even without fractional BAB. So as far as I know, you can make 2 force attacks per turn on full attack. And since, I think as long as the attacks are with in those 150ft, you can toss some unlucky NPC into a wall twice. Or, using Improved Trip that should give you an extra attack if you trip a foe successfully, you can bulrush him/her straight into freaking pavement! Twice! ^^ The direction of the bulrush is not specified, so IMO, this should be ok ^^
===========================================>

Btw, besides the +6BAB that I forgot to mention, this shindig could be made trhu just Fighter 2 w/ DC [and drow variant that I forgot. Why not get dex vs flatfooted? and +2I? I see no reason not to]. This way however, you won't get tons of skills. But this way you get stuff sooner. To semi-circumvent factotum[though he is rather irreplaceable] Thug-varient can be taken [comes out as triple variant fighter heh] to acquire sleight of hand. This way getting similar effect could be accomplished by lvl7.

The alternative is to max Cha, and go Marshal 1/Fighter 2/Shadowcaster 5
Same deal, as you would add Cha to all Str checks, and use Cha in your Umbral fist. Whether or not it will add to the dmg, is again debatable. But IMO, this is inferior if save-or-suck powers are not chosen quickly[meaning progressing as Shadowcaster].

===========================================>
P.S. I feel the need to beat the "wizard/T1 can do that better" crowd to the punch line and do inform that I just recalled (and I do mean just, seriously) that Wizard/Sorc spell list in SpC has "Battering Ram".
This one gives you range Bullrush as 30Str creature. It is however instantaneous and one at the time, it doesn't scale [besides range which is short] and uses your normal BAB. However DC should unquestionably give 2x/3x10+d8s Dmg (depending on level of DC ability). This however won't scale. So this is rather valid thing for Gishes even though it looks nothing like classic force/push pull. I suppose invisible spell feat can meddle with the looks a bit. Once again wizards can do everything heh. Not like its a surprised by now to anyone lol ^^

LordotheMorning
2012-02-24, 06:26 PM
Umbral Fist's description says that using special maneuvers is a standard action. Doesn't that mean trip shenanigans and multiple bullrushes are out of the picture?

Person_Man
2012-02-24, 10:15 PM
Umbral Fist's description says that using special maneuvers is a standard action. Doesn't that mean trip shenanigans and multiple bullrushes are out of the picture?

Yes and no. Yes, Umbral Fist is a Standard Action. So if you're just standing very far away from people and slapping them around, you're pretty much limited to one attack. But you can also get a lot of other attacks from an attack of opportunity combo.

Anywho, it's a cool concept. Not particularly optimal, but cool.